Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
TheNorfolkMafia
01 Mar 20 22:21
| Topic/replies: 33,014 | Blogger: TheNorfolkMafia's blog
Currently :-

Yes 1.67

No 2.42
Pause Switch to Standard View Will Racing Go Ahead? Cheltenham 10th...
Show More
Report seary March 5, 2020 4:21 PM GMT
Another 25 positive cases.market reaction to that has been positive.tgey have only tested 1800 or so over the last 24 hours the day previous was 3500. All hinges on the amount of tests being done. Selfish I know, but I hope the testing stays low over the weekend. It's took nearly 3000 cases in Italy to cancel all sport......
Report foxy March 5, 2020 4:39 PM GMT
Don’t worry about been selfish seary
Report foxy March 5, 2020 4:41 PM GMT
Hello democrat not sure but unlike shopping centres and other public places I have been to this last week or so at least Cheltenham are making an effort.
Report koikeeper March 5, 2020 4:52 PM GMT
Coronavirus has mutated into two strains, one which appears to be far more aggressive, scientists have said, in a discovery which could hinder attempts to develop a vaccine.

Researchers at Peking University's School of Life Sciences and the Institut Pasteur of Shanghai, discovered the virus has evolved into two major lineages - dubbed ‘L’ and ‘S’ types.

The older ‘S-type’ appears to be milder and less infectious, while the ‘L-type’ which emerged later, spreads quickly and currently accounts for around 70 per cent of cases.
Report foxy March 5, 2020 5:40 PM GMT
First death
Report foxy March 5, 2020 5:40 PM GMT
First death
Report Darlo Bantam March 5, 2020 5:51 PM GMT
Price went from 1.28 to 1.35.

Patient had already been in and out of hospital.
Report hello :-) March 5, 2020 6:08 PM GMT
its on lads

this country is run with a government whos track record is disregard for human life , looks like same MO from this one , possibly worse

thinking about keeping virus hit areas secret for a week is the proof the absoloute mental bstrds

nothing must hinder the pound under any circumstances

do you realise if they stuck to that your parents , kids , relatives could be wandering around a virus hit area without knowing
Report onlooker March 5, 2020 6:17 PM GMT
If - or rather, when - the number of confirmed positive test cases hits 5,000 - Then ...

- As there are 66 MILLION of us - the infected would be 1 in 13,000 people.
Report xaar March 5, 2020 6:17 PM GMT
bloody hell lads of course the numbers are going to rise, a so called expert said 20% of the population will get it so dont be counting
Report hello :-) March 5, 2020 6:20 PM GMT
no way of knowing amount of infected possible onlooker , this has only just started imo

even after china etc WHO is constanly changing the way they look at this
Report Early Morning Riser March 5, 2020 7:10 PM GMT
This is not looking good for next week.
Report 11kv March 5, 2020 7:12 PM GMT
Surely too late to abandon
Report Trusty March 5, 2020 7:31 PM GMT
Never say never....Italy up 700+ today, Germany up 250+, France up 92 and the UK only up 28 the same as Belgium! Either we are not testing much or someone is lying!
Report Aviboyd March 5, 2020 7:40 PM GMT
It's the people of Cheltenham not involved with the racing I feel sorry for, what a legacy they are going to be left with. Utter lunacy that this meeting is to go ahead.
Report leif March 5, 2020 7:57 PM GMT
Independent David Brewer, who will be trading as Fair-Bet Bookmakers in Tattersalls next week

"If the powers that be saw fit to restrict large gatherings to keep us safe, you'd have to take it on the chin. The health of all of us is more important than any amount of money
."

Well said Old bean.

As opposed to the old boys who want to attend, with their balls in their hand citing the good old British Bulldog spirit Laugh
Report ribero1 March 5, 2020 8:09 PM GMT
Great reporting by RP,Fairbet bookmakers don't even have a pitch there next week!
Report MC Roller March 5, 2020 8:24 PM GMT
I've already gave up, no way it goes ahead.

Typical racing authority shambles, they'll probably call it off Tuesday morning knowing those useless clowns.
Report hello :-) March 5, 2020 8:25 PM GMT
the gov want this to spread like wildfire and then get back to normal , its on

there will be casualties but who cares
Report foxy March 5, 2020 9:15 PM GMT
Where do they get these quotes ribero?
Report foxy March 5, 2020 9:16 PM GMT
Mc

They won’t call it of Tuesday morning hope this helps
Report ribero1 March 5, 2020 9:20 PM GMT
Hi Foxy,i'm guessing he's probably running one of the Wensleydale pitches? Think last year he only worked Gold cup day so hardly the right person to ask.
I must stop looking in on here as it seems that plenty on here literally praying for it to be off.
Report isleham March 5, 2020 9:37 PM GMT
Think all this negativity on here proves many forum posters never actually have a bet or else why are they so keen to cancel the festival
Report foxy March 5, 2020 9:37 PM GMT
Astonishing really how many seem better equipped than the chief medical officer for the uk the talent of this forum never ceases to amaze me ,as does the fact so many on a horse racing forum would be happy to see the showpiece national hunt meeting of the season off.
Report hello :-) March 5, 2020 9:47 PM GMT
nobody on here would in honesty want the festival cancelled certainly not me , nothing could fill that void its immense

I think many are astonished at the gov attitude towards the virus , which is let it spread and to hell with consequence

its quite astonishing that is the mindset of those who make decisions for us

if it came to the champion chase or lowering the number of the 5% who will die from this then I know what I would be looking to do being honest
Report Darlo Bantam March 5, 2020 10:01 PM GMT

Mar 5, 2020 -- 12:17PM, xaar wrote:

bloody hell lads of course the numbers are going to rise, a so called expert said 20% of the population will get it so dont be counting

All the experts are like us, guessing - that's why it's called novel coronavirus. They're just doing with more knowledge and expertise than the rest of us.

Seen one expert who said 50% of the world may get it within a year. Another who said it was too late to stop and this is now an endemic virus that humanity will have to live with.

Report democrat March 5, 2020 10:02 PM GMT
More to the point Foxy - how many on here actually go racing especially to meetings such as  Cheltenham?
Report foxy March 5, 2020 10:05 PM GMT
I should think many just sit around in there underpants all day never mind going racing.
Report casemoney March 5, 2020 10:07 PM GMT
Foxy spot on Same Pair on for a Month
Report ribero1 March 5, 2020 10:08 PM GMT
All winners though Foxy,don't forget that.
Report casemoney March 5, 2020 10:11 PM GMT
Laugh
Report casemoney March 5, 2020 10:11 PM GMT
I think Marts spends a Lot of time sitting round in his Jocks
Report TheNorfolkMafia March 5, 2020 10:23 PM GMT
Yes 1.28

No 4.40
Report foxy March 5, 2020 10:31 PM GMT
sharp minds ribero no mugs on here.
Report GLASGOWCALLING March 5, 2020 10:34 PM GMT
.... Its an Exchange , ie some think it will be off some think it will be on, nothing wrong with that imo.
Report foxy March 5, 2020 10:37 PM GMT
i agree glasgow but on this thread and others some seem to want it off i struggle to understand that.
Report hello :-) March 5, 2020 10:38 PM GMT
exactly Glasgow

ive said for days it would be , we have a tory government its a no brainer

get together at weekend with 60,000 folk at anfield , but please wash your hands Laugh
Report GLASGOWCALLING March 5, 2020 10:41 PM GMT
.. Not really Foxy, some ( not me ) have had put hard earned, and lots of it on being off, but I agree there seems

to be more than enough " doom and  gloom " mongers on here.
Report smirnoff2therescue March 5, 2020 10:50 PM GMT
how many "thousands" if not "millions" will travel on the tube tomorrow - from all parts of the planet that will hav come from here there and everywhere .

The worlds gone mad i tell thee CryCrySadSad
Report SontaranStratagem March 5, 2020 10:54 PM GMT
Bobos been on and all is well, flim flam wash hands and flippity floppity

All is fine peeps calm down
Report hello :-) March 5, 2020 11:04 PM GMT
yes bobo , who has a private medical team

not so old mrs smith who unfortunately will need to lay on a bed in a hospital car park for three days whilst being interviewed by channel 4 about climate change

see you all in three months after I come out of isolation , be lucky
Report smirnoff2therescue March 5, 2020 11:07 PM GMT
we hav long since moved on from the bubonic/ black death plague

Personally i cant even remember that much about the Sars outbreak back in the day "that was gona wipe us out" and i aint gona worry about this one

Hell i'm a rebel after refusing my flu and pneumonia jabs past two years after feeling like i had the flu for 2 weeks after having the jab previously and lo and behold im still here .

If Brexit was still on the go this wudnt even be anywhere near the front pages.... fact!!!!
Report SontaranStratagem March 5, 2020 11:12 PM GMT
Smirnoff

The media are a joke I've said it many times, they latch onto something and run the facking thing into the ground until people get sick of it and stop clicking on the idiotic story, forcing them to move onto something new

To this day I still can't fathom how they got 3 years worth of news out of "brexit"....
Report SontaranStratagem March 5, 2020 11:16 PM GMT
Even now there's still some "brexit" in the news ffs, but I think even they haven't the front to keep kicking that can down the road Plain

So its Corona Virus which is clearly being used to blame the next "recession" ffs, absolute cheek of the wancers
Report smirnoff2therescue March 5, 2020 11:16 PM GMT
tis true though Sonta - if im right we have had 2 deaths over here from it so far - one of em from that cruise ship that was riddled wiv it - and yet if you gave me a 50/50 coin toss on how many hav succumbed to influenza in same period well you know where my money would land simplesPlainPlainPlain
Report smirnoff2therescue March 5, 2020 11:18 PM GMT
....and yet not a mention
Report seary March 5, 2020 11:41 PM GMT
Here, here sonta! The media breed negativity onto the masses they are truly  the route of all evil and I'm not over thinking that.
Report dambuster March 6, 2020 8:20 AM GMT
i was on a tube train in Oxford Circus last night, hundreds queuing to get on the platform, once on the train, we were packed like sardines, if they're going to stop major
OUTDOOR sporting events, whats the point,? if we carry on working in this sort of environment, either shut down the whole country (And we'll go bankrupt)
Or be sensible, keep clean and carry on..Thousands more people die from the flu each year.
Its mass hysteria from the media again.  BTW,out of the thousands of people i saw in London yesterday, i saw 3 people wearing masks, and they were all Oriental.
Report dambuster March 6, 2020 8:22 AM GMT
The BBC (Bias Broadcasting Corp) also have an agenda for this, cause mass panic,so much so, that the country go's into recession, and blame the Tories.Laugh
Report hello :-) March 6, 2020 9:09 AM GMT
indeed , whats a few deaths in the scheme of things as long as industry keeps rolling mate and also that it doesn't effect you

and im sure they only considered shutting parliament down for a few weeks for the good of the country and definitely not due to fear of the virus they seem so keen on letting rip through UK , or "getting it over with " as boris put it Laugh

sorry if I appear negative im far from it , and very happy festival is going ahead ..its just the self serving tory **** I detest
Report Storm Alert March 6, 2020 9:14 AM GMT
dambuster ...Thousands more people die from the flu each year...

Misleading stat, even president Trump is spouting nonsense based on his hunch. Each new strain of flu does kill thousands of people every year, but its death rate is low and is vaccinated against.

Here's how the death rates of the two compare in different age brackets (flu varies year to year and country to country so average over last 10 years):
Flu Deaths
0-49: 0.02%
50-64: 0.06%
65+: .83%

COVID-19
0-39: 0.2%
40-49: 0.4%
50-59: 1.3%
60-69: 3.6%
70-79: 8%
80+: 14.8%

Flu and COVID-19 are highly contagious and one could extrapolate that for every one million infected people in the UK in an average year 150 would die of flu and if the same demographic also got COVID-19 20000+ or more would die. I doubt 60+ like the look of those odds especially with underlying medical conditions.
Report hello :-) March 6, 2020 9:20 AM GMT
I think in current active cases up to 16% are classed serious or critical

in closed cases deaths have gone as high as 6 % , these figures are ever changing tbf
Report metro john March 6, 2020 10:47 AM GMT
No racing man in his right mind, would bet this being off. The problem is just that? Is someone privy to inside info? Monday could prove enlightening.
Report elise March 6, 2020 10:54 AM GMT
it's not inside info, it's simply that the decision re crowd restrictions is not in chelts hands, nothing to do with racing just a national decision

if and when the gov decide to put restrictions in place as part of their plan then sporting venues will be left with postpone or play/run behind closed doors

I now feel the festival will start so long as by Monday there's no massive spike in numbers, I hope it completes, I definitely think Aintree could be more affected

it makes more sense to me to leave it as long as possible simply to help keep the public calm and to keep a sense of normality and protect the economy
Report TheNorfolkMafia March 6, 2020 10:54 AM GMT
Yes 1.15

No 7.20
Report Storm Alert March 6, 2020 10:57 AM GMT
I have felt for while if it was called off a decision would be made before the weekend as I'm sure a lot festival goers travel Sun/Mon. We used to hire a place in Tewksbury or Ross-on-Wye for the week and travel up on Sunday.

Cheltenham has just scraped in before the great lock down it appears.
Report foxy March 6, 2020 11:07 AM GMT
There will be no lock down
Report metro john March 6, 2020 11:17 AM GMT

Mar 6, 2020 -- 3:20AM, hello :-) wrote:

I think in current active cases up to 16% are classed serious or critical in closed cases deaths have gone as high as 6 % , these figures are ever changing tbf

Very worrying the growth in the disease, from 36 t00 the 90s in a week?, not sure the horse being monitored quite as closely? But I expect moreso, that said one or two cases of  equine flu could, stop the whole thing!

Report metro john March 6, 2020 11:26 AM GMT
A very hard time this for the Chinese living and working in the UK, I would imagine sales are down on takeaways, and lord knows the reaction to those seen at Cheltenham??? Only Joking but some may see it like that. I feel for the kids, Adults forget how much the news must be scaring them, the 3-9s especially.
Report metro john March 6, 2020 11:29 AM GMT
Lets hope it's on, I just wonder how many would be trying to sell their tickets?Confused
Report metro john March 6, 2020 11:33 AM GMT
Bookmakers should be wise to monitor bets from the Primrose hill area? Daddy Boris got some extra to play with.
Report metro john March 6, 2020 11:37 AM GMT
Now this is the kind of inside we should all be lucky to have - https://tinyurl.com/wjrrzor
Report Storm Alert March 6, 2020 12:00 PM GMT
First virus case confirmed in the Vatican

Sad Aren't they all old in there?
Report xaar March 6, 2020 12:16 PM GMT
2/15 its on baby we've made it all the scaremongering we've made it baby, are all the off crowd very disappointed
Report TheNorfolkMafia March 6, 2020 1:03 PM GMT
Yes 1.14

No 7.60
Report Burkey1885 March 6, 2020 1:19 PM GMT
Already told u it’s on dafty the massigh knows
Shafter pure guesses along with his gimp band it’s on
Report democrat March 6, 2020 1:21 PM GMT
Is this NorfolkMafia poster on commission from BF for advertising the prices ? Cry
Report Burkey1885 March 6, 2020 1:28 PM GMT
Democrat LaughLaughLaugh what he will do for a free bet SurprisedLaughLaughLaugh
Report democrat March 6, 2020 1:54 PM GMT
No wonder their shares are in freefall if he is on the payroll !!
Report Fashion Fever March 6, 2020 1:58 PM GMT
hi paul, you working for your old boss next week
Report Hushwing. March 6, 2020 2:28 PM GMT
Joined: 07 Feb 06 | Topic/replies: 1,581 | Blogger: xaar's blog
2/15 its on baby we've made it all the scaremongering we've made it baby, are all the off crowd very disappointed

Crazyah we're underway??? what won champion hurdle please?

They'll be no public if it goes ahead .
Report Mister Westsound March 6, 2020 2:33 PM GMT
When are the NO backing WUMs going to accept they have done their dough ?
Report xaar March 6, 2020 2:55 PM GMT
hushwing why do you say that of course there will ffs
Report Hushwing. March 6, 2020 6:16 PM GMT
well be into 1000's by Tuesday and double figure deaths. they'll put a stop to these large public gatherings - whether it makes sense or not doesn't matter.
Report Hushwing. March 6, 2020 6:16 PM GMT
well be into 1000's by Tuesday and double figure deaths. they'll put a stop to these large public gatherings - whether it makes sense or not doesn't matter.
Report MC Roller March 6, 2020 8:29 PM GMT
I think it definitely goes ahead now. I have changed my mind after realising how silly it is to post an opinion, on a thread called will racing go ahead. How could I do such a stupid thing like post an honest opinion. I've been worrying all day that a gang of irate Cheltenham festival fans track me down and set fire to my bedsit. I love my bedsit, my imaginary wife, my bald head and empty money pot and three wheeled lada outside. I enjoy all that, why would I really want Cheltenham off.

My Tuesday afternoon was all planned, three pot noodles, six cans of economy lager and a reduced price out of date Victoria sponge. I'll be gutted if I have to watch Doctors and Escape to the Country instead.
Report kevinglass March 9, 2020 9:38 AM GMT
So, all events are on, the Football, the Rugby etc. They are meeting today to talk about the possible cancellation of future events.....possible.....future.

So presumably the 1.1 is about it being called off due to unsuitable ground??

I've bet lots on it going ahead. All my balance really. Surely it should be 1.01 or so.

The roar at the start of the supreme will be bigger than normal when (hopefully) the tapes go!
Report metro john March 9, 2020 9:40 AM GMT
Lets hope that poor man in Cheltenham did not mingle too much before taking himself too Doctors???Sad
Report metro john March 9, 2020 9:41 AM GMT
The situation in Italy reflects my last comment!
Report metro john March 9, 2020 9:42 AM GMT
Ticket sellers could be in for a hard time.
Report casemoney March 9, 2020 10:47 AM GMT
Millions at football Grounds up and down the country be a couple of Million on the Tube this morning ,Chelts wont be making too much difference IMVHO ..

1.05 Happy
Report scoobytoo March 9, 2020 12:05 PM GMT
Sporting events in Britain are unlikely to be affected by coronavirus in the immediate future, says Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden.

Governing bodies and broadcasters will meet with government officials later on Monday to discuss the staging of events behind closed doors if the outbreak worsens and mass gatherings are banned.

Dowden told BBC Radio 5 Live: "At this stage we're not in the territory of cancelling or postponing events."

He added fans should not be barred
Report geoff m March 9, 2020 12:12 PM GMT
into 3.75 ish this morning to be off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Report geoff m March 9, 2020 12:23 PM GMT
if it was next week it would be probably be in grave danger.

cant see em putting a stop to it today . should be 1.02 ish to be on .weather biggest danger
Report geoff m March 9, 2020 12:54 PM GMT
still in containment stage
Report SontaranStratagem March 9, 2020 1:25 PM GMT
Should have smashed into the 1.4ish to be honest, proper smashed into it

You knew they wouldn't cancel their big sporting events
Report SontaranStratagem March 9, 2020 1:29 PM GMT
The best one was today, they are certain its going to spread "significantly" but yet no big event cancelled in the form of Chelthenham

So IF it does indeed spread "significantly" then we know who to blame for it don't we
Report kevinglass March 9, 2020 1:43 PM GMT
It's going to spread anyway. If we all stayed at home for a fortnight, then it'll slow down, and then spread again like before, so what's the point.

If they do matches behind closed doors, people will watch in pubs, and there would be more cross contamination touching glasses, tables, chairs etc. I'd rather take my risk at the ground.

Give everyone the choice, if you're worried, stay at home.

I'm not a big fan of the Gov't, but I think they're doing pretty well. It's easy to cancel things to LOOK like you're doing something, harder to keep things going if that's the advice from the medical profession.

Anyhow. I'm on at prices between 1.4 & 1.1......so I clearerly have a vested interest!
Report the.mad.dog.man March 9, 2020 1:57 PM GMT
football crowds still going racing crowds still going people landing from italy not being check pml
Report onlooker March 9, 2020 2:09 PM GMT
Correct - Kevin - Agree entirely

- as opposed to the cynical, miserable, anti-everything, continual convoluted comments that SontaaranStategem - the 'Agenda merchant' - keeps foisting upon these threads.   Sad

------------

Started Backing at 1.58 - Averaged 1.36

Back:    Yes     1.36   £375.20   £135.03

Lay:     Yes     1.10   £350.20    £35.02

Others - along with the BOTS - have obviously  Traded this market for much, much more.
Report SontaranStratagem March 9, 2020 2:12 PM GMT
Northern Italy suppose to be on "lockdown" yet the airports are still open and the trains still running

Sorry but its another fantastic lie from the elites, they can't even do this properly the thick bunch of clueless clowns
Report geoff m March 9, 2020 2:20 PM GMT
SontaranStratagem09 Mar 20 13:25Joined: 30 Aug 17 | Topic/replies: 14,703 | Blogger: SontaranStratagem's blog
Should have smashed into the 1.4ish to be honest, proper smashed into it

We would all be millionaires on should have .
Report the.mad.dog.man March 9, 2020 2:23 PM GMT
keystone cops would have done a better job then our government
Report onlooker March 9, 2020 2:52 PM GMT
What do/did you want them to do - THEN?

Close the whole country down a week ago - Causing even more irrational public PANIC.

Idiots buying Toilet Rolls as if there are never going to be any more manufactured - ever.

It is the Public who are acting like 'Keystone Cops'.
Report the.mad.dog.man March 9, 2020 3:06 PM GMT
check the people coming in from abroad would be a start
Report kevinglass March 9, 2020 3:19 PM GMT
Check them for what.....symptoms don't show immediately, and you get loads of false positives for temperature etc.

Only 1% or so of those tested in the UK have proven positive.....as cold/flu symptoms are very similar.

Best advice is to wash your hands, try not to touch your face with your hands, and avoid big crowds IF you feel vulnerable.

The best advice isn't great for headlines, but it's the sensible thing to do.
Report screaming from beneaththewaves March 9, 2020 3:49 PM GMT
If we all stayed at home for a fortnight, then it'll slow down, and then spread again like before, so what's the point.

The point is blindingly obvious. It's so that intensive care isn't overwhelmed all at once. That is what has caused the thousands of deaths in other countries.

If 12,000 people are going to become critically ill over the course of a year, and you have 1,000 intensive-care beds available, then you need to delay the spread of the virus so that those 12,000 cases are spread equally month by month. That way everyone who needs treatment gets it, and you hopefully have very few deaths.

Or, you can just laugh and say, what's the point? We're all going to get it in the end, ain't we? And you have to take responsibility for a minimum of 11,000 needless deaths.
Report screaming from beneaththewaves March 9, 2020 3:52 PM GMT
Just for reference, there about 6,000 intensive-care beds in the UK, of which 90% are occupied anyway by people needing treatment for other things.
Report kevinglass March 9, 2020 4:45 PM GMT
Well I guess we'll see what happens.

I still think if we all self isolated you just push the pinch point further ahead, but there'll still be the pinch point coming.

I guess I'll just take my chances and do what the Chief Medical Officer says. I suspect they know more than me, and everyone else on the forum.
Report hello :-) March 9, 2020 4:51 PM GMT
doubt many wont be effected in one way or another , work , virus , elderly or vulnerable relatives friends , helping out isolated folk etc

pretty much here all around uk and seems to be on upward curve so no stopping it now , stats are coming from only those tested which is a fairly small sample of population so got to be a load more out there tbh
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com