Forums
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
ImSoLuckyLucky!
26 Feb 20 12:55
| Topic/replies: 11,591 | Blogger: ImSoLuckyLucky!'s blog
to just under £100million
After closing over 700 shops
There betting on the US OF A
market

Expect some good Cheltenham offers
Then!

Devil

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 112
By:
JJmbe
When: 26 Feb 20 12:58
Hope they go bust, trying taking a bet ,profits make go back up who knows just a random guess.
By:
CJ
When: 26 Feb 20 13:10
Hope they go bust? Shut up ya loon.

They are a great investment imo. The US market is going to be a serious source of revenue now that state governments now see gambling as a nice earner and are relaxing regulation. Hills are nicely positioned to take advantage. Buy low.
By:
dustybin
When: 26 Feb 20 13:25
The states gambling potential is the new brigadoon. Everyone talks about it, but no f ucker ever seen it.

As for WH losing.
Hurrah
By:
SlippyBlue
When: 26 Feb 20 13:26
2 Hills shops that have been open for as long as I can remember, at least 40 years or so, one in East Dulwich and the other in Crystal Palace have recently closed.
By:
geoff m
When: 26 Feb 20 13:35
My local branch opened by the legendary Red Rum closed last year.
By:
JJmbe
When: 26 Feb 20 13:38

Feb 26, 2020 -- 7:10AM, CJ wrote:

Hope they go bust? Shut up ya loon. They are a great investment imo. The US market is going to be a serious source of revenue now that state governments now see gambling as a nice earner and are relaxing regulation. Hills are nicely positioned to take advantage. Buy low.

Hope they feckin disappear from the high st, trading standards should shut them down, feckin bookmakers my arse..

By:
JJmbe
When: 26 Feb 20 13:40
Same here SB only two shops in our city both gone within weeks of each other.
By:
peckerdunne
When: 26 Feb 20 14:35
Less shops, less staff, less overheads, less labour cost, more liquidity to invest in new changing markets.

Let's see their figures in 18 months when adjustments have been entered.
By:
carrot1960
When: 26 Feb 20 14:52
They closed two within 150 yards of each other by me , what has that done to the FOT manufacturers
By:
BARROWBOY
When: 26 Feb 20 15:23
Always thought a lot of their out of town shops were in strange positions,& a lot of them had become rundown.if they’re pinning their hopes on online then they need to sort out their website for a start.hope they don’t go bust though only place I know to get a commentary when I’m out & about.
By:
Fashion Fever
When: 26 Feb 20 16:23
amazed they shut the one near st marys hospital busiest shop ever been in
By:
prepared83
When: 26 Feb 20 16:33
Both in Reading town centre have gone, was told my nearest shop is now ascot
By:
foxy
When: 26 Feb 20 16:40
That shop in ascot can only be busy racedays and even then particularly at the royal meeting they only really get the arbers
By:
ronnie rails
When: 26 Feb 20 16:53
Foxy
I thought the one on ascot high street was a corals
regards
Ronnie.
By:
screaming from beneaththewaves
When: 26 Feb 20 17:01
Jeremy Kyle's first wife has told how he frittered away £70,000 and ran up £4,500 debts at the bookies and on betting phone lines when he was at the height of his gambling.

And during three visits to the bookies last week, Kyle, 42, showed he is still a keen punter.

On Monday, he pulled up at William Hill in Ascot, Berks, in his £80,000 BMW sports car.

He spent three hours inside and made large bets from a roll of notes. He regularly dashed to and from his car to make phone calls.

On Wednesday Kyle strode into the bookies at 2.30pm, opened his wallet and flicked through a wad of £20 notes. He was on first name terms with the two staff members called Simon and Dylan. They brought him a coffee with two sugars, calling it his "usual."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ex-gambler-jeremy-kyle-back-at-the-bookies-299428
By:
screaming from beneaththewaves
When: 26 Feb 20 17:13
It's a bit sad that the Hills shop on the corner of Priory Bridge Road in Taunton has closed. It was one of the shops Hills bought from Dave Pipe, the money from which went towards setting up Martin's training operation. And, being on a busy corner, between the station and the cricket ground and right next to three pubs, there must have originally been a street bookie there before shops were legalized.

One of the pubs is the Crown and Sceptre, where Brian Close used to live during the summers when he was captaining Somerset, so he would have been in and out of there all the time.

I know the shop had basically stopped taking bets, with Hills' prices being so uncompetitive. But back in the days when Hills was still a force it was the first place you used to check out when you were in town for the races, and the place you knew other proper punters would be too. Lots of history and small personal dramas, all wiped away.
By:
foxy
When: 26 Feb 20 17:28
Ronnie they both have a shop on the high street and by coincidence they both have there toilets out of use royal ascot week that has been the case for many years.
By:
foxy
When: 26 Feb 20 17:47
The hills has been there a long time Ronnie I remember having a drink with the staff after racing frankie day.
By:
echobelly
When: 26 Feb 20 22:35
Thanks for posting that Screaming. Living in Taunton it wouldn't surprise me if the Crown & Sceptre goes soon as well. Always seems to be empty. (If you still want a bet in Hills, Taunton you are aware of the Hills down East Reach. Think it was an amusement arcade back in the mid 90s).
By:
hulk23
When: 26 Feb 20 22:59
used to be an amusement arcade, now a hills.  fk all changed there then ...
By:
ronnie rails
When: 27 Feb 20 08:09
Mr Green owned by Hills today fined 3 million .
somebody said to me bookmakers are like Millwall fans
nobody likes them.

have a good day
regards
Ronnie.
By:
sparrow
When: 27 Feb 20 08:33
ronnie rails 27 Feb 20 08:09 
Mr Green owned by Hills today fined 3 million .
somebody said to me bookmakers are like Millwall fans
nobody likes them.

have a good day
regards
Ronnie.

That's a bit unfair on bookmakers Ronnie Grin
By:
dave1357
When: 27 Feb 20 10:05
I wonder if the GC will use that £3m to compensate any customers who lose money through their inept regulation?
By:
parispike
When: 27 Feb 20 10:50
echo belly - in effect it'll still be an amusement arcade now!
By:
metro john
When: 27 Feb 20 10:59
Turning winners away working then!
By:
metro john
When: 27 Feb 20 11:01
Hills can we have our FoBs stakes raised
By:
Trusty
When: 27 Feb 20 11:26
Hills current email help:-

We’re currently experiencing technical issues with receiving inbound emails. Due to this, there might be some delay in responding to email query. This is being investigated as a priority, we apologise for any inconvenience caused. In the meantime, you may contact us using this link.
By:
the dealer
When: 27 Feb 20 11:34
The industry has to completly restructure, Hills have, others will follow. Plenty more shops will go, the golden days of the fobts are over.
The overheads in shops are just not sustainable, an aging population of horse race punters once gone are never replaced.
Still money to be made in retail but shops as we know now will be gone and be replaced with shops full of betting terminals, no papers, no slips just their internet site on the high street.
By:
sparrow
When: 27 Feb 20 11:37
I think we can all live without betting shops although I feel for the staff as I don't like to see anyone lose their jobs.
By:
metro john
When: 27 Feb 20 11:37
They need the shops, we need the shops.
By:
metro john
When: 27 Feb 20 11:39
The betting shop in the high street is worth so much more than other forms of advertising.
By:
the dealer
When: 27 Feb 20 11:40
Less shops, more funding crisis for the sport. There is still a need for shops, they will still make money but not in there present state.
By:
sparrow
When: 27 Feb 20 11:40
Well I haven't needed one for nearly 20 years.
By:
the dealer
When: 27 Feb 20 11:42
Imo it's a myth that betting shops on the high street are all deserted, there was just far too many because of how many they opened due to the fobts.
By:
metro john
When: 27 Feb 20 11:44
The Betting shop is a national treasure and more so for the industry.
By:
Trusty
When: 27 Feb 20 11:45
Just on online chat to close my account with them as I am restricted to pennies and they do not honour their £500 liability per horse on raceday, so better to close.

Online operator has said all we can do is offer you "self-exclusion"! No wonder the business is in a mess.
By:
metro john
When: 27 Feb 20 11:46
In My younger days you progressed from Fobts to the Betting shop, it was the escape from other forms of entertainment. The incorporation may actually scare some away.
By:
sparrow
When: 27 Feb 20 11:46
A national treasure, dear oh dear.
By:
Deltâ
When: 27 Feb 20 11:47
like clare balding Cry
Page 1 of 3  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page