Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Pilsudski
21 Oct 19 16:03
| Topic/replies: 1,821 | Blogger: Pilsudski's blog
12 declared — 11 trained by AO’B.
Pause Switch to Standard View Futurity Doncaster Saturday
Show More
Report Deltâ October 21, 2019 5:04 PM BST
14:24
Report foxy October 21, 2019 5:06 PM BST
There is a thread on it pilsudski but farcical to say the least.
Report Pilsudski October 21, 2019 5:12 PM BST
OK Foxy,thank you.Was unaware.
Report foxy October 21, 2019 5:36 PM BST
To be fair pilsudski to thread title doesn’t indicate what it’s about.
Report elisjohn October 21, 2019 7:01 PM BST
ym not sure if its coolmore or our inept young trainers, but this for me has destroyed  racing.
Report sixtwosix October 21, 2019 7:05 PM BST
Crikey , that cannot be good , where are the other top stables ?

That really is very unhealthy for the sport.
Report ribero1 October 21, 2019 7:15 PM BST
Just seen this,ffs!
Report ribero1 October 21, 2019 7:16 PM BST
Wonder what the sponsor makes of it?
Report foxy October 21, 2019 7:25 PM BST
The bha will sort it out have no fear about that.
Report wasnot October 21, 2019 10:17 PM BST
BHA will arrange some additional twilight AW fixtures.  That will fix the problem.
Report Deltâ October 21, 2019 10:29 PM BST
ribero1...

"From our perspective it is hugely disappointing because we want to be sponsoring a spectacle," said Dance. "As a sponsor you don't want your race turning into a joke but, on the other hand, part of the value of a sponsorship comes from the publicity and, for all the wrong reasons, we're now generating bucket loads of PR.

"Owners and trainers have had a go at Arc all year long about prize-money levels. This is a £200,000 Group 1 race and only one trainer in the UK can find a horse worthy of running. This isn't the earliest of early-closing races, either, and there were plenty of horses in at the previous forfeit stage.

"I have to hold my hands up as I did have a horse entered myself but we sold him to Hong Kong before the first confirmation stage. Even if I had a 70-rated horse entered on Monday morning I would have kept him in the race. I'm going to enter everything next year!"

Dance added: "My instant feeling is it's a bit embarrassing. However, it's a double-edged sword. The race is getting more coverage today than it was at the same stage last year, so the marketing and PR guys are probably rubbing their hands. Having said that, I don't want this to happen every year just in order to get our name bandied about a lot.

"One of the good things about this race from a sponsorship point of view is what happens afterwards - and last year's race was retrospectively referred to a lot because the first and second went on to win the 2,000 Guineas and Irish 2,000 Guineas. We have to hope the horses Aidan runs on Saturday go on to achieve big things next year."

O'Brien said: "Mogul and Innisfree are the two who have been trained specifically for the race. We might have four or five runners, although it will be another few days before plans are finalised. Armory could go there but there are Group 1s in France this weekend and he might go for one of them instead."

As well as being without British horses Doncaster is expected to be without Ryan Moore, who is due at Moonee Valley to partner Magic Wand in the Ladbrokes Cox Plate. That is likely to leave the mount on Mogul to Donnacha O'Brien, who successfully stood in for Moore on Magical and Kew Gardens at Ascot on Saturday.

Arc spokesman Sam Cone said: "The Vertem Futurity is a fantastic race, with an illustrious history that has in recent years featured future superstars like Magna Grecia, Saxon Warrior and Roaring Lion. We appreciate the 2019 renewal offers a fairly unique situation, but are hopeful it will once again offer the chance to uncover another star two-year-old to then look out for in next year’s Classics.

"The team at Doncaster are focused on delivering two great days' racing, but we will certainly consider the entry processes for the race in the wash-up from this year’s meeting."

Following the publication of the latest Futurity forfeits, Betfair lengthened Gosden's title odds to 30-100 from 1-6, while O'Brien was cut to 9-4 from 7-2.

Asked about the championship, O'Brien added: "If it happens, it happens, but as far as runners at Doncaster and Newbury are concerned we will do what we think is the right thing for the horses involved. That is always the priority."

Explaining Coral's decision not to offer Futurity odds, head of PR David Stevens said: "Given the unique nature surrounding the latest entry stage, we won’t be issuing ante-post prices at this stage. If running plans for the Ballydoyle entrants become clearer as the week progresses we would look to open betting, but otherwise we will wait until Thursday’s final declaration stage, when hopefully Kameko will be in opposition."

The going at Doncaster was on Monday good to soft, with no prospect of rain until Friday.
Report ribero1 October 21, 2019 10:46 PM BST
Thanks Delta.
Report The Knight October 22, 2019 10:21 AM BST
Yet another issue in the ever ongoing decline of Doncaster as a grade 1 track.

The going is never to be trusted and the surface there looks unsafe at times. The field sizes at the Leger meeting were terrible and the whole gaff now lacks atmosphere.

Arena need to address how this place is declining, unless they have an aim to make it low grade.

Go back 25 years and more and Donny rivalled York for quality but now it is miles behind.

Very sad.
Report foxy October 22, 2019 10:37 AM BST
Totally agree with the knight particulary the point about Doncaster matching York.
Report windsor knot October 22, 2019 12:01 PM BST
aside from the ' o brien stakes ' fiasco for saturday the donny decline is obvious in the changing racing world . add haydock and ayr to the lists of once ' grade 1 ' courses on the downgrade . on the plus side ; york is now an outstanding venue . with the racing to match .
Report hello :-) October 22, 2019 12:17 PM BST
is that a trend that will change , the downward spiral of some courses ?

i suppose a lot to do with attendances etc , if anyone knows the stats for recent years are tracks maintaining or losing customers

IMO far to many meetings , a race going off every 5 mins doesn't help folk been saying years less meetings more quality
Report Pilsudski October 22, 2019 2:03 PM BST
It may not be just a ‘downward spiral’.Could be the road to closure — look at Towcester.
Report foxy October 22, 2019 3:43 PM BST
There has been a lot of investment at Doncaster pilsudski,including a brand new hotel,I don’t like the way it’s run they have even made if difficult for race goers to use the family enclosure,the racing both codes has dramatically nosedived,pretty sure it’s council owned like Worcester,although run by arc,with respect to Doncaster if you took the racecourse away it leaves nothing.
Report BARROWBOY October 22, 2019 3:46 PM BST
Hope komeko wins it !
Report foxy October 22, 2019 3:51 PM BST
Why is that barrowboy?
Report BARROWBOY October 22, 2019 3:55 PM BST
Just to break the monopoly ,only non O’Brien runner
Report foxy October 22, 2019 3:57 PM BST
Fair enough but we should all be grateful to him for sending his horses over can you imagine a walk over in a group one race.
Report BARROWBOY October 22, 2019 4:00 PM BST
True,don’t suppose the lack of other interest is his fault
Report ribero1 October 22, 2019 4:04 PM BST
Yes it was always council owned,still a good quality racing surface that often masks the lack of prize money as a lot of the bigger southern yards still send their 2 y o and 3 y o maidens because of the surface imo.
Report foxy October 22, 2019 4:04 PM BST
Absolutely.
Report The Knight October 22, 2019 8:59 PM BST
ribero..

Is it still a good quality racing surface?

It has always been a hard one to keep tip-top - remember the 1989 St Leger meeting being abandoned and the abandoning of a recent jumps card - but recently it has been made worse, IMO, by over-watering. I fear the current clerk of the course tries to hard to please too many moaning trainers.

A great shame and I believe that this year has seen a decline in the number of good 2yo's coming up from HQ.
Report zygote October 22, 2019 11:35 PM BST
The fault for this farcical situation lies entirely with unimaginative British trainers. What excuse can they have for not declaring ANY of their better staying colts? If I was an owner (lol), I would far rather have a Group 1 placed colt than not. John Gosden may now get caught on the line by AOB for Champion Trainer, so why has he seemingly ignored the race? It is a sad day for UK racing when all the top stables can only muster one runner between them for a Group One. British trainers, hang your collective heads in shame!
Report Movewiththetimes October 22, 2019 11:44 PM BST
Maybe British trainers don't target this race anymore with AOB success, and all the rain this year has just made it harder to challenge this year.
Report roggrain October 23, 2019 7:45 PM BST
What I would like to hear are the trainer's instructions to his jockeys! Of course the stewards won't even think of asking for details.

Watch the late betting for clues!
Report roggrain October 23, 2019 7:48 PM BST
If the lone British horse is withdrawn, A.O.B. would have the option of running three or four only. Why bother with any others?
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com