Forums
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Northofperth
22 Sep 19 12:41
| Topic/replies: 583 | Blogger: Northofperth's blog
I have some questions regarding attending three days of racing in early December . The meetings are Uttoxeter , Leicester and Warwick . I will probably be travelling South by train from Glasgow . So the specific questions are ; where should I stay ( or should I base myself in one place ) ? What mode of transport suits the racegoer to these courses ? Are there any tips on what stand/enclosure to choose , places for food/drink etc at each course ? Are there any places of interest locally that I should try to see , or avoid ? Please note my days of being a party animal are firmly behind me , I'll likely be travelling alone , and although I'm partially disabled I have no mobility issues ( I can walk long distances ) . I look forward to hearing from some seasoned racegoers , and folk with local knowledge too . Thanks in advance .
I have benefited from advice from fellow Betfair Forum users in the past . When I visited Sandown , Kempton , Cartmel , Ludlow , Worcester and Chepstow .

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 22
By:
stewarts rise
When: 22 Sep 19 13:06
I've been to all 3, warwick regularly years ago. Think it probably best to stay in Birmingham, plenty of hotels different budgets, travel by train i'd think from New street i presume, you'd have to look it up, or bus from digbeth station. Tatts is where i'd go for all 3, great view from Warwick much underated course imo. Leicester is not so good imo, up to you if you pay extra for members enclosure. Warwick you could go in the middle but wouldn't see as much and obv wouldn't see parade ring or get best odds. Uttoxeter may pay you to go in members to get a better view as in straight horses are running towards you and the higher you can get the better. A bit awkward to get to through the town, not sure where train would take you. To be honest im not sure i'd bother with Leicester, then you could stay in Warwick near the castle, great place if you can walk up loads of steps but will be cold in Dec. Then travel to Uttox day before and stay overnight there, alton towers is close by. Wouldn't bother eating at racecourses myself plenty of places to eat in Birmingham and loads to see around Broad street and the canal.
If you decide to stay in Brum/Sutton Coldfield, i'll meet up with you and take you to Warwick for deffo, and possibly Uttox.
By:
Alices
When: 22 Sep 19 16:09
I'm going to Leicester tomorrow, I think it's just 1 enclosure now but I will report back after tomorrows visit.
By:
RothmanMike
When: 22 Sep 19 17:54
Correct about Leicester, and facilities not great.
I usually walk to a spot a furlong plus out, and is good viewing.
The top Newmarket stables like the course as it is a test, and has a stiff uphill final 2f , before slight downhill near the finish.
By:
Northofperth
When: 27 Sep 19 14:40
Thanks for the input , it all helps when you don't know the area . Thanks for the offer of taking me to Warwick ( Stewarts rise ) , but as I stayed in Birmingham last year ( and enjoyed a visit to the National Motorcycle Museum ) I'll prefer to stay in a place I haven't seen before . I only had my holidays confirmed 2 days ago , so I can now get serious with drawing up my plans and booking things etc .
By:
stewarts rise
When: 27 Sep 19 14:52
Ok, Northofperth, perhaps stay in Warwick or Statford then, you've got all the shakespeare stuff, Ann hathaways cottage, the river and the Butterfly farm if you dont mind 6" wide butterflys on your bonce, not sure about December but usually street performers by the river and of course the theatre.
By:
hologon
When: 27 Sep 19 14:59
Uttoxeter station adjacent to track be lucky
By:
differentdrum
When: 27 Sep 19 15:04
I haven't been for ages but of the courses I have been to (about half) I always had Leicester down as the worst. Only went because the big stables used to use it to start off some of their decent 2yo's. I did get Frank Worthington's autograph there so it wasn't all bad. Perhaps it has improved?
By:
elise
When: 27 Sep 19 15:07
Are there any places of interest locally that I should try to see , or avoid ?

i'd avoid uttox, leics and warwick myself, sorry just don't really like any of those tracks but have a good trip
By:
ImSoLuckyLucky!
When: 27 Sep 19 15:25
Give Leicester a miss
Its rubbish and its on a industrial site NOT well signposted

Warwick is lovely and well signposted

Uttoxeter I never been too
If you get lost I suppose you could go to Alton Towers

Wink
By:
Reynard
When: 27 Sep 19 15:45
I generally stayed at the Mickelover Court when working at Uttoxeter .It's about 20 minutes from the racecourse by road (A 50) . They had a restaurant on the top floor (Italian?) , alternatively there's an excellent Indian restaurant in Mickelover itself .
There's a Hilton just off the motorway at Warwick just a few minutes from the racecourse and plenty of decent places to eat in town . I also stayed there when working at Stratford .
By:
Alices
When: 27 Sep 19 16:46
Leicester was only one enclosure on Monday, plenty of room as there wasn't many people there, advantage to that is you can get to see everything without pushing and shoving.
Hog roast stall was the only one there and looked expensive at £7 quid. The  snack bar in the ain grandstand was better value. I had a cheese and onion roo, can of coke, and chips for £4.50.
Wouldn't put anyone off going, racing was moderate apart from the first winner Highest Ground who looked well above average.
Going to Huntingdon neat Wednesday, only 20 minutes away,
By:
intheknow
When: 27 Sep 19 23:32
Mickleover Court is a shadow of what it used to be and you should only use that as a last resort. Far better options in nearby villages
By:
The Sawyer
When: 28 Sep 19 07:39
Apart from Uttox the train station is quite a jaunt from the track. Warwick is just under a mile away - seems further coming back.

Leicester is a bus journey or taxi ride.

If you stay in Warwick or Stratford you will need to get the train into Birmingham (Moor Street I think) and then walk to New Street to catch the train to Leicester and Uttox.

Warwick has a castle a racetrack and very little else. stratford is full of over-priced everything and Bill Shakespeare remnants.

I have been to all three and as stewarts says, Warwick is a great course. Went to Midlands National at Uttox years ago and you could hardly move but on mid-week days it will be empty. Leicester is easily the worst of the three although it is better than it was thirty odd years ago when it resembled an air-raid shelter that hadn't survived the blitz.

Good luck wherever you stay - if you are going to Warwick on 12th I will listen out for a Scottish accent
By:
Manoleeds
When: 28 Sep 19 08:11
Warwick is a lovely town with some good pubs. The Cape of Good Hope by the canal is my favourite. Stay at the quirky Lord Leycester.
Leicester. Worth going if only to see how stiff the home straight is. No reason to stay there
Uttoxeter. Good viewing but rammed at a weekend.
Birmingham a good central spot to stay.
By:
Northofperth
When: 04 Oct 19 14:53
Thanks for the advice folks . I decided to travel South by train , will base myself in Derby , and use rail again to visit Uttoxeter and Leicester . I will drive to Warwick . I hope the weather conditions allow racing to go ahead , and I pick a few winners too . That will be another 3 courses ticked off on my racecourses visited list .
By:
foxy
When: 04 Oct 19 15:05
Manoleeds

Unfortunately the quirky lord leycester closed its doors in 2016.

However you are correct about the lovely town with some good pubs.
By:
freddiewilliams
When: 05 Nov 19 17:49
Going london, Sandown and kempton at weekend. Same questions as op. Thanks
By:
foxy
When: 05 Nov 19 18:05
How are you travelling Freddie?
By:
freddiewilliams
When: 05 Nov 19 18:10
Into gatwick. Trains buses tube
By:
foxy
When: 05 Nov 19 18:16
Ok well chertsey is a good base for those two ,as is twickenham and teddington all 3 have train stations,if you fancy pushing the boat out Leicester Square or Mayfair is where you want to be .
By:
SlippyBlue
When: 05 Nov 19 19:00
Freddie a very good base for Sandown and Kempton and a place I've stayed at many times is The Richmond Hill Hotel. It's about 6 miles to both courses (about £22/£24 in a taxi for both) and Richmond is full of good pubs and restaurants.
By:
Northofperth
When: 17 Dec 19 20:07
Well I thought it only fair to bump this thread and report on my trip South . I went South by rail , from Glasgow to Derby . I stayed at the Aston Court Hotel ; it was noisy , basic , reasonably priced and just across the road from the train station . I liked Uttoxeter the best of the 3 courses visited . Good transport links , and better viewing and layout of facilities than either Leicester or Warwick . Leicester was easy enough to get to ; rail , bus and a short walk . As it was a small crowd , I found it a pleasant enough course to watch racing . But having to rely on the big screen due to the lie of the land . Warwick seemed to be best for the variety of bars/lounges/boxes , but the layout of facilities were not as compact as Uttoxeter . And it was a foul day , so I only ventured to the parade ring twice . I had to watch most of the action on the big screen , because of the undulations/shape of the course . That's another 3 courses ticked off on my list , but I should really make a point of trying to complete these trips when the daylight lasts more than 15 minutes after racing concludes . Over the last 3 years I've visited 9 new ( to me ) courses . The least impressive being Worcester ( although not a bad experience ) , and most impressive was Sandown Park . Thanks for all the suggestions/advice . And although I only made a profit at Leicester , I'm glad to report I made a healthy profit over my week off .
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com