Forums
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Poppydog.
05 Jul 19 10:54
| Topic/replies: 19,332 | Blogger: Poppydog.'s blog
John McCririck, whose unique and colourful broadcasting style made him a household name far beyond the confines of the sport he reported on, has died aged 79.

For more than three decades McCririck was an integral part of racing coverage on British television in his role as betting guru for ITV and then Channel 4 Racing, as well as appearing regularly on what was then At The Races.

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 1 of 4  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 148
By:
Poppydog.
When: 05 Jul 19 10:55
Apologies for spelling his name wrong in the title

RIP John McCririck
By:
elisjohn
When: 05 Jul 19 10:56
rip johnSad
By:
Storm Alert
When: 05 Jul 19 10:57
Start a new thread.
By:
thinker
When: 05 Jul 19 10:58
whether you like him or dislike him a sad end
By:
Poppydog.
I'd delete it, if I could, but not allowed on here
Apologies again
By:
Movewiththetimes
RIP Sad
By:
stewarts rise
When: 05 Jul 19 11:04
I'm sad, think we were expecting it, looking at his appearance recently, Got a lot of people into racing who would otherwise not be interested, RIP Big Mac, condolences to the Booby and family.
By:
Trident
When: 05 Jul 19 11:05
What he did for racing was unique. Rest well
By:
big aitch
When: 05 Jul 19 11:06
It was sad to see the state he got into, I think it was mainly caused by the stress of his ill advised and ill fated court case.

He should have just accepted he wasn't needed anymore and retired gracefully, but I suppose John didn't do anything gracefullySad
By:
jmdc
When: 05 Jul 19 11:07
RIP John, you certainly entertained us at times.  "Is your horse off Jimbo, the punters need to know?", was one of his best on The Morning Line. Jimbo could only splutter and shut his eyes as he tried to fabricate an answer!
By:
bettinghelp
When: 05 Jul 19 11:07
One of the vanishingly small number of voices in the media ever to have uttered a peep on behalf of punters' interests.
By:
wondersobright
When: 05 Jul 19 11:08
another character the game has lost

they don't make them like john anymore RIP
By:
xmoneyx
When: 05 Jul 19 11:09
he gave punters inside info on trainers other presenters wouldn't go near
By:
elisjohn
When: 05 Jul 19 11:13
my wife only knows 4 things about horse racing, lester piggott, grand national,red rum, and john mccririck.
By:
jumper3
When: 05 Jul 19 11:15
RIP. Thought he was brilliant for TV racing in an era where the game was beginning to be shunned by major broadcasters. I was never sure whether he was really like that to 'the Booby' or whether it was just part of the show. He informed us as well as entertained.
By:
BlazingWalker
When: 05 Jul 19 11:19
Legend , simply the best at what he did , a very sad day RIP Big Mac.
By:
john42
When: 05 Jul 19 11:24
loved the way he would have a go at the idiots making twats of themselves behind him in the ring,didnt come over as the nicest guy in big brother,but he was a proper character...RIP.
By:
invicta
When: 05 Jul 19 11:27
very sad news, RIP John, all we have left is a bunch of @rse lickers.
By:
stewarts rise
When: 05 Jul 19 11:28
Great TV when he was paired with Edwina Currie, Wife Swap or something, absolutely no chance of him changing his ways for that odious creature!
By:
stewarts rise
When: 05 Jul 19 11:30
We should all raise a glass of Diet Coke in his honour tonight!
By:
geoff m
When: 05 Jul 19 11:31
RIP John

Larger than life character who lit up the ring and love him or loathe him he was great for racing.
By:
elisjohn
When: 05 Jul 19 11:32
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xK4ifBmkIeU
By:
sparrow
When: 05 Jul 19 11:40
Restin Peace John.
An excellent investigative journalist who will be remembered for his exposure of a big Tote scandal.
By:
sparrow
*Rest in peace.
By:
Crawford
So much humbug and cant on this thread.  Ta ta and good riddance to the old reactionary.
By:
madhatter
RIP John.
Matt Chapman will never fill your boots.
By:
alun2005
When: 05 Jul 19 11:54
Big Mac was one of the very few intelligent minds amongst the generally spineless UK racing media.

An authority in the betting ring. No-one else has managed to communicate the betting markets on TV as effectively as JM.   So many of his sayings are now part of the fabric of UK racing.
By:
wondersobright
When: 05 Jul 19 12:04
not saying that john came up with these but there are certainly a lot of terms/phrases I associate with john saying them

flip flopping favourites
burlington bertie
ladbr0kes the magic sign

and a personal favourite, has its leg fallen orff? Laugh
By:
1st time poster
When: 05 Jul 19 12:04
women,older people on bbc,lgbt,etc arnt told just to accept it ,why should JM if he felt he was wronged
By:
lmfao
When: 05 Jul 19 12:06
Foul mouthed, bad tempered and capable of being  quite unpleasant - he got thrown off a couple of talk shows - a real challenge to the uptight feminists of this world-  and invariably he made me smile . I was a follower if not quite a fan . RIP old lad.
By:
1st time poster
When: 05 Jul 19 12:11
me and the wife had breakfast with him and his wife at he arc one sunday,treated her like a serf running round after him,but both were winking at the rest of us,an act/all part of the show
By:
1st time poster
When: 05 Jul 19 12:16
think he was at his best when promoting,discussing the greyhound derby
By:
elisjohn
When: 05 Jul 19 12:17
nice tribute by tanya on sky now
By:
sparrow
When: 05 Jul 19 12:17
No he was at his best in his younger days an an investigative journalist.
By:
howard
When: 05 Jul 19 12:21
He might not have been a great punter but he knew the betting business inside out. His performance on C4 certainly pulled many punters and betting money into racing. I believe he kept many racecourses in business. RIP John.
By:
1st time poster
When: 05 Jul 19 12:21
I remember the 1st time I saw him on tv,it was grand national day and ch 4 used to do a discussion programme bit like this week,the pledge, and in a dimly lit studio smoking cigars,drinking scotch a table full,of guests put the world to rights, spent the night bashing lefties and promoting totry,s freedom of choice etc, chit chat would have loved it

can never remember what the programme was called but would have been over 30 yrs ago
By:
raffingora
When: 05 Jul 19 12:26
Only watched   C4 racing because OF him  RIP
By:
raffingora
By:
raffingora