Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
swampy117
02 May 19 13:06
| Topic/replies: 87 | Blogger: swampy117's blog
Can anyone report seeing bettingshop  closures in their area ,since the Fobt restrictions
Pause Switch to Standard View Betting shop closures
Show More
Report the.mad.dog.man May 2, 2019 1:14 PM BST
lol
Report know all May 2, 2019 1:20 PM BST
friend text says harrogate ladbrokes closes 6 may
Report cardifffc May 2, 2019 1:22 PM BST
not seen any
Report sparrow May 2, 2019 1:26 PM BST
Laugh
Report TheGoddess May 2, 2019 1:36 PM BST
I would suspect that closures will commence when leases expire.
Report Storm Alert May 2, 2019 2:47 PM BST
TBH both the Corals shops I go in are quieter and sometimes nobody on the FOBT's. Hardly seen anybody playing roulette.
Report mymumsfinethankyou May 2, 2019 2:50 PM BST

May 2, 2019 -- 8:47AM, Storm Alert wrote:

TBH both the Corals shops I go in are quieter and sometimes nobody on the FOBT's. Hardly seen anybody playing roulette.

good

Report ronnie rails May 2, 2019 4:26 PM BST
know all
Harrogate was going before the 2.00 restrictions came in.
the worrying thing is paul bowtell the gvc cfo went last month and andy Hornby jumped ship today
I hope the lifeboats can hold a few more.
have a good evening
regards
Ronnie.
Report pa lapsy May 2, 2019 4:42 PM BST
Went in a corals shop at 2.30 last Sunday in town(collect a nrnb at Chel,guessed rightly it would be settled as a loser),racing on,not a single person in there,that can't continue.
Report jamee1 May 2, 2019 4:45 PM BST
Most shops will not close until the leases are up for renewal.

FOTBs in the bookies I have been into still full. I notice you can now bet £2 every 3 seconds on roulette (using a staking bar you need to win before it spins). The slots are set around 90% payout now, compared to the 97% on roulette. I'm not sure it will be as bad as everyone thinks.
Report mymumsfinethankyou May 2, 2019 5:08 PM BST

May 2, 2019 -- 10:45AM, jamee1 wrote:

Most shops will not close until the leases are up for renewal.FOTBs in the bookies I have been into still full. I notice you can now bet £2 every 3 seconds on roulette (using a staking bar you need to win before it spins). The slots are set around 90% payout now, compared to the 97% on roulette. I'm not sure it will be as bad as everyone thinks.

where did you get these figures from/

Report pixie May 2, 2019 9:26 PM BST
FOBT revenue down by a third, I reckon but don't know. Shop closures are inevitable as said earlier, when leases are up for renewal. Margins over the counter will be tightened too as more and more offers will be withdrawn from the shops. Plenty of fantastic sign up offers will still be there as shops that close will be pushing their on-line businesses for less overheads and potentially more revenue from the same punters that can't bet cash now as their local bookies is shut. Still think the next set of figures the big boys release are going to be awful.
Report jamee1 May 2, 2019 9:45 PM BST
Assuming roulette is random then the payout will always be 97.3% over time.

On slots you can see the % payout usually by navigating through the 'rules' section of the game.

Roulette £2 stake every 3 secs is available on video here (good example from around 6m40s where he stakes £20 in 28 secs). https://youtu.be/41MsIKygq3Y?t=386
Report ronnie rails May 2, 2019 9:45 PM BST
Pixie
do you miss the game
regards
Ronnie.
Report ronnie rails May 2, 2019 9:45 PM BST
Pixie
do you miss the game
regards
Ronnie.
Report pixie May 3, 2019 11:15 AM BST
Ronnie, not really. I certainly don't miss the stress of having to find £4k a week expenses per shop before I see any of the money!

The game has had five significant changes in my time:

1) Advent of SIS. An amazing time to be working in the shops, happiest days of my life, not a care in the world, short hours, lots of fun, full shops, great craic. Couldn't believe how lucky I was being paid to do something I loved.

2) Advent of evening racing and the subsequent de-skilling of the industry. Longer hours, advent of EPOS meant staff becoming more undervalued, working longer hours for less money. Job becoming worse - time to leave and start on my own with the abolition of tax on turnover around the corner.

3)Abolition of tax on turnover. Fantastic for bookmakers and masked the cracks appearing with the start up of the internet. Made most of my money during this time in a very short period.

4) Advances in technology and introduction of FOBTs - Internet and mobile phone apps replacing traditional betting shops as the shops move into the FOBT market to make up for the shortfall, with picture costs, rent and taxation escalating at an alarming rate. Betting shops changed from social fun places for friends to meet up and have some fun to dangerous care in the community centres where the dregs gravitate towards to pump ill-gotten gains in FOBTs. A seismic change from the fun and banter that would be had in the late eighties and early nineties. The death of the betting shop as it was. Independents struggled as they became agents for the duopoly of FOBT providers, taking a small fraction of revenue after paying off the machine providers and high taxation yet underwriting all the risk and taking up space in emptier and emptier betting shops.

5) Regulation and the maximum stake FOBT ruling and further spiraling costs signal the end of an era for many. I often bump into my old customers and they always recount fondly of some incident or other that happened to either me or a customer in the shop that happened over 10 years ago. They would agree, the fun slowly went and that I'm not talking through rose tinted glasses.

If I had my time again, Ronnie, I'd do it all again - it was fun. The only thing different is I would have got out five years earlier.
Report kemo sabe May 3, 2019 11:23 AM BST
pixie i read yr words with a degree of interest and even more reflection ,its rar i go i a bookies these days its a different atmosphere and demographic as you say ,,, Yet im minded to say at least you seemed ahead of the wave most times ,  thanks for te memories ,,, i really miss the board markers though ,,, i always as a teen wanted to be one ,,,,little did i know what lay ahead
Report pixie May 3, 2019 11:35 AM BST
I started off as a boardmarker, Kemo Sabe, I used to get stoned whilst working, from the joints the West Indian boys would be puffing on!Grin
Report Willie Shafter. May 3, 2019 11:36 AM BST
surely ronnie will be accurate in shop futures.
Report impossible123 May 3, 2019 11:39 AM BST
Andy Hornby has gone to The Restaurant Group (TRG) - the lucky "bar steward" knows when to jump ship before being ask to walk-the-plank; no TRG outlets for me as I'd be inclined to give him a piece of my mind for his shafting of shareholders of Hbos, if we meet.

It would be no great surprise if some shops close in the near future, prior to and after the ending of present shop leases or so after - they existed solely because of fobts.

Boardmarkers: I still remember clearly my 1st saunter into a Mecca Bookie at the top of Edgware Rd near Marble Arch on a day off work during the summer holidays; I backed Keelby Kavalier at 16/1 - I think he won or at least placed.
Report kemo sabe May 3, 2019 12:10 PM BST
you paint a picture of a world so far different from my mining steel town , with one black face and he was a west indian window cleaner who made his fortune after finishing his rugby leaugue  career ces thomson ,,,  no one will know him but our nemesis from wigan was billy boston ,,, he inevitably scored against  the ton when he played , think we lived on pasties then
Report ashleigh May 3, 2019 12:52 PM BST
a friend of mine is the manager in the local fred shop, tells me that in the first month of the £2 max stake, takings are down by 3/4, all the big players have gone, never has much cash in the shop anymore.
having to pay me out regularly onto the card.Laugh
Report haplessamatuer May 3, 2019 1:20 PM BST
bloody ell you young ones wont remember when we didnt have betting shops.
back entries to back rooms with a tickertape machine if lucky.
The good old days GrinGrin
Report parispike May 3, 2019 1:41 PM BST
Ashleigh right. Had to draw £130 from a Fred. “Sorry pal, safe don’t open till 11, you’ll have to come back”. 2 months ago, machines provided that as loose change.

Lad behind Paddy counter  reckoned machines 80% down from pre stake reduction.

Can’t all survive can they?
Report wroughtironronn May 3, 2019 2:07 PM BST
shut 'em all and let the charity shops rule the depleted British High Streets
Report Willie Shafter. May 3, 2019 3:07 PM BST
my m8 is manager of betfred byker..i'll msg him now with his thoughts.
Report mouse muldoon May 3, 2019 3:08 PM BST
Geoff man?
Report Willie Shafter. May 3, 2019 3:34 PM BST
my q...

how has the fobt situ  effected turnover and whats your thoughts on the future of betting shops in general?

his reply...

This shop ok, cant speak for others, it'll be back to the way it used to be before too long, better midweek racin would help
Report Willie Shafter. May 3, 2019 3:38 PM BST
me..

so shop turnover has to have been effected massively?

him..

Not too bad to be honest, some shops will probs close, dunno wen tho

Cool
Report parispike May 3, 2019 3:54 PM BST
It’s “affected” Willie.
Report SlippyBlue May 3, 2019 4:47 PM BST
In the last year 5 shops have closed within a 4 mile radius of me, 3 Ladbrokes and 2 Corals. The only shop I ever go in these days is a Hills and that's because the pub opposite is a favourite of mine and I have been going in there for 30 years and I know most of the punters. The shop itself will survive because, unlike many others, its punters are middle aged or older on the whole and mainly solely bet on horse racing so there will always be a healthy OTC turnover. There is a Paddys in Crystal Palace not far from me and that will be safe as well as it is right next to a Wetherspoons and they always have a good few in there. Other shops though, from what I have heard have been hard hit by the £2 quid limit on FOBT's and I would expect plenty more closures in the coming year.
Report jamee1 May 3, 2019 6:36 PM BST
Dont forget the margin% of the FOTBs will have increased significantly! I'm guessing from an average of around 3% to around 8%. Therefore a 3/4 drop in turnover would *only* be a 33% drop in profits.
Report TheGoddess May 3, 2019 7:04 PM BST

May 3, 2019 -- 12:36PM, jamee1 wrote:

Dont forget the margin% of the FOTBs will have increased significantly! I'm guessing from an average of around 3% to around 8%. Therefore a 3/4 drop in turnover would *only* be a 33% drop in profits.

Are the slots not set at a 94% payout????? Therefore the average margin will only go up from 3% to 5%, if so.

Report maineroad May 3, 2019 8:55 PM BST
Hows things Ronnie ?

Excellent post Pixie.
Report dambuster May 3, 2019 9:12 PM BST
Excellent post pixie.i owned two shops from 1995-2006, sold them in 2006  when betfair had taken its hold, the older customers were dying off and the younger ones were on the machine, the costs were spiraling out of control, i tried to get premises further up the road where it was busier, there was a hills and a ladbrokes there, but when i went to court , the Lads and Hills legal team tried to tear me to pieces,telling the court there was no need for more bookmakers within there radius, they never liked the fact that i would play in running, would give away free tea, coffee, snacks, and give backshows up to £50 for all my regulars, hence they never granted me a licence for the premises, but i done well enough and sold up to a couple of guys, who were gamblers, and i knew they wouldn't last, they went skint within a year.
But the betting shops of old were a great craic
Report pixie May 4, 2019 10:07 PM BST
Willie, you're mate is going off one shop's business. I have seen figs on 20 odd shops and turnover is down massively but with higher margins now, as you'd expect. Over the counter turnover is up, as are the self service terminals. I stand by my comment and reckon across estates, revenue from machines is going to be down by a third - at least.
Report pixie May 15, 2019 3:00 PM BST
I was right! Revenue down 40%!

https://www.racingpost.com/news/latest/william-hill-report-fobt-impact-in-line-with-expectations/380862
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com