Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Oldgit1
12 Dec 18 20:00
| Topic/replies: 3,625 | Blogger: Oldgit1's blog
" Riding legend Lester Piggott has undergone surgery to have a pacemaker fitted to help his heart beat normally.  The 83-year-old is recovering from the surgery at Addenbrooke's Hospital in Cambridge, to where he was transferred this week from a hospital in London.  Piggott, who has had heart problems in the past, was taken into hospital more than ten days ago and is hoping to be out at the end of this week.  A pacemaker is a small electrical device commonly fitted to the chest to help control abnormal heart rhythm. The implement uses electrical pulses to put the heartbeat back to its normal rate.  His daughter Maureen Haggas reported on Wednesday: "Dad is still in hospital in Cambridge but he's going the right way and hopefully he'll be out by the end of the week.
"He had a pacemaker fitted about ten days ago, which has slowed his recovery rate down a bit and it's taking him a little time to get back to full strength."  She added: "His appetite is good and he's on the ball but at 83 it takes its toll. He's getting there slowly. It was always the plan for him to be here for Christmas so we're looking forward to getting him home. He's had friends and family to visit him, which is all he can cope with at present."    Known as 'The Long Fellow', Piggott landed the Derby nine times and won more than 5,300 races worldwide.   Among those to visit him has been former weighing room colleague Bruce Raymond, who said: "Lester is doing well and is getting better every day. I believe he had a scan in the week, which they were happy with, and he seems alert enough as he spends most of his time playing backgammon with his son Jamie."
Pause Switch to Standard View Lester has a Pacemaker.
Show More
Report DenzilPenberthy December 12, 2018 8:09 PM GMT
Grin
Report acey deucy December 12, 2018 10:24 PM GMT
Get well soon Legend.... He could still outride these Bums Today even with his Pacemaker ffs.Plain
Report Movewiththetimes December 12, 2018 10:27 PM GMT
Hopefully the pacemaker will make him see 90. Get well legend.
Report crepello December 13, 2018 7:44 AM GMT
Best of luck old pal.....
Report Diff-rent December 13, 2018 8:02 AM GMT
Simply the BEST , great news indeed.
Report geoff m December 13, 2018 8:58 AM GMT
Lester to surgeon do i have to have a pacemaker?
If you watch me winning 85 Benson and hedges Gold Cup on Commanche Run you will realise i didnt need 1 .
I was brilliant @ it on my own.
Report Oldgit1 December 13, 2018 9:45 AM GMT
I've had one since 2015. Anyone else here have one? Hope that Lester had a better time than I did as they punctured my lung when doing it. Draining it was my most painful ever experience but I think that was much to do with the young Ukranian doctors inexperience.
Report dambuster December 13, 2018 11:08 AM GMT
Why go to the Ukraine to have it done.?..
Report dambuster December 13, 2018 11:09 AM GMT
Oh wait, there's more Ukrainians over here than in the Ukraine, so perhaps it was here
Report Wannawin. December 13, 2018 11:49 AM GMT
I had one fitted 4 years ago this month. In fact it was fitted on Christmas eve and I was discharged the same day. I had been in hospital 18 days and had a double bypass and valve repaired and after they had done all that they they said I needed a pacemaker.
Report Oldgit1 December 13, 2018 12:27 PM GMT
I did all the research before having my aortic valve replaced in 2012 but no one mentioned the 35% possibility of AF after it. The first cardioversion did not work but the next one kept me in NSR for 15 months until I had a colonoscopy that stimulated my vagus nerve and put me back into AF. Another cardoversion and back in AF for just over a year until a urologist doing a DRE again stimulated the nerve, Since them I've been in permanent AF but seldom notice it. They won't do another cardioversion as they say that my right atrium is too big for it to work.
Report Movewiththetimes December 13, 2018 12:30 PM GMT
Oldgit, not had a pacemaker but was in hospital 3 weeks with a collapsed lung and it was the most painful thing in my life pain unbearable.
Report Oldgit1 December 13, 2018 12:38 PM GMT
Yes, one of our Ukranians. When I last had an angiogram I later found out that the Pakistani doing it was 'going though a learning phase' It took him 55 minutes compared to an earlier one that took ten.
He had kept asking the nurse for different sized probes. Near the end he asked the nurse if she could finish it as he could not get round this tricky bend. No Fear! she said so he said that he had seen enough.  After he had finished his supervisor turned up rather late.
Report Oldgit1 December 13, 2018 12:42 PM GMT
movewiththetimes:
The same thing had happened when I had my heart valve replaced so the next time I knew what was happening before they did.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com