Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
muse
12 Mar 18 23:04
| Topic/replies: 747 | Blogger: muse's blog
I was just pondering the impact of the General Data Protection Regulation (no really...bear with me)

If I phone a bookie that I have an account with and tell them I want to close my account and delete ALL data that they store about me, they will be hard pushed to have a legal justification not to.

So if I open an account as a 'new customer', how will they know I used to have an account with them?

I am not advocating doing so (we wouldn't want to do anything potentially fraudulent) but on the assumption that some people will, will this kill off these offers?  And before it does will some punters fill their boots?

I wonder.
Pause Switch to Standard View Unlimited "New Customer" Offers?
Show More
Report Princes Purple Guitar March 12, 2018 11:16 PM GMT
data kept for 6 years...get your aunt to open and go that way
Report dave1357 March 12, 2018 11:20 PM GMT
I would be surprised if keeping records for legitimate business reasons wasn't maintained under the new regime.  eg credit records.
Report muse March 12, 2018 11:33 PM GMT
dave1357, you would have thought so...but the ways these EU laws are drafted can be idiosyncratic.  From the ICO guidance I am not sure:

"When can I refuse to comply with a request for erasure?

You can refuse to comply with a request for erasure where the personal data is processed for the following reasons:

to exercise the right of freedom of expression and information;
    to comply with a legal obligation for the performance of a public interest task or exercise of official authority.
    for public health purposes in the public interest;
    archiving purposes in the public interest, scientific research historical research or statistical purposes; or
    the exercise or defence of legal claims. "
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com