Forums
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
seaside
07 Mar 18 08:17
| Topic/replies: 2,627 | Blogger: seaside's blog
I was not doing to well at Royal Ascot and it came to the last race a person I knew who would put money on for the stable lads of a certain trainer told me this horse

If I remember right their were a million runners I needed to get my money back so I backed it at about 12/1 thanks Barnie.

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  Previous 1 | 2 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 61
By:
Johnny_Mustang
When: 07 Mar 18 09:05
None of yours.
By:
morpteh mackem
When: 07 Mar 18 09:09
our hero, trained by tim carr, was mid to late 90s, won at hexham. was 18lb out the handicap. remember local journalist doug moscrop going mental next day about 'how could it win ' etc, think he was kicking off because he wasn't on. Grin
won at 33s. pity bf wasn't around at the time.
By:
xmoneyx
When: 07 Mar 18 11:11
neptune collonges

2012 grand national

exchange 55

templegate(steve jones)
By:
equine flew
When: 07 Mar 18 11:15
Was at University in Lancaster... we had a racing club with Jack Berry honarary chairman.  On our annual visit to his stables, give us a for a horse called SERDU.

Had £50 on, which was a lot for me in those days.

I have never, ever seen a horse win easier.   Still running away from jockey when it crossed the winning line.

https://www.racingpost.com/results/37/newcastle/1989-02-18/27964
By:
Willie Shafter.
When: 07 Mar 18 11:42
its virtually for a horse 18lb wrong to win..unless its never tried.
By:
doncaster rover
When: 07 Mar 18 14:48
Nearly fourth years ago when I went to Cheltenham festival every year ,I was about 25 my group would meet a guy each year that we had a drink with he was very knowledgeable he gave us a tip for when we got back on the Friday,it was a 3 day meeting then,unfortunately I got cleaned out at the festival so only had a tenner on his tip which won about 5 or 6 /1 the following year I did ok and just about broke level on the week including drinks and hotel bill.we used to stay at the Yeoman Hotel in Gloucester city centre.Any way this freind we met up with again and he told us to get as much as we could afford on a horse called Yule Log it was about a month after Cheltenham in a flat race,think the rave was called the City And Subenham we got 7/1 on it and pretty sure it went off at around 3/1,it led from the start and won easing up by around ten lentghs.The following year we couldn’t find him on the track where we normally had a beer with him.On the last day we found out he had died two weeks previous,Agreat guy and to this day the most knowlageable Racing man I have ever met.I think my horse Made Of Honour will win at Newcastle next Tuesday I’ve got shares in two in the race but pretty confident this will win it get som Cheltenham expenses out of it
By:
doncaster rover
When: 07 Mar 18 14:49
Fourty years ago
By:
Tallywagger.
When: 07 Mar 18 14:51
Sabrehill, before its debut. Drifted like the kontiki. Bolted up.
By:
Lee Ho Fooks
When: 17 Mar 18 20:52
WD DR
By:
cufcno1
When: 17 Mar 18 22:34
Truckers tavern off a bloke in marbella won by 20l plus 5s into 9-2
By:
DenzilPenberthy
When: 17 Mar 18 22:39
Monty's Pass backed @40's from an old Irish fella I never saw again
By:
running on the spot
When: 17 Mar 18 23:19
Derek Thompson 16/1 winner
By:
running on the spot
When: 17 Mar 18 23:19
Also Shaun Ryder 8/1
By:
Fashion Fever
When: 17 Mar 18 23:49
Alexandra banquet 10/1 under a young ruby,

an 80 year old irishman told me on the way into cheltenham, that the young jockey no one had heard of would be champion in a few years
By:
RothmanMike
When: 18 Mar 18 00:53
Take Control ,tipped up to me personally by the owner David Johnson, and trained by Martin Pipe.
Told me whilst watching a live race from an off meeting in the Lingfield betting shop.
Had just bought it from Ireland, had never run yet in a Hurdle race, but told me when it ran it had 3 STONE in hand.
Won 4 or 5 races before winning the Midlands Grand National at Uttoxeter.
Now that's what a tip.
God rest his soul , Mr David Johnson , a legend of the turf.
By:
domino14
When: 18 Mar 18 08:23
Not so much a tip, but remember arriving at Southwell one day in the late 90s thinking why am I here for 1 ride in a seller on a rank outsider. As I got the leg up the girl leading it up, said I ride him every day at home and when he leads he won't let nothing by him and he's tough but he won't go by in behind. She asked what the trainer had told me to do. I told her that I was told to see how he jumped, keep him happy and switched off and try and produce him late on as he's a rogue. He had only had 4/5 runs and never been in the first four. It was a trainer I had only rode once or twice for so thought nothing ventured nothing gained. Booed him out gates, sent him turning for home, won by about 4L and he was about 20/1. I think it's fair to say the girl leading him up made a few quid and the trainer was gobsmacked. Sadly the horse was claimed and only ran once again finishing out the back.
By:
SOULDANCER
When: 18 Mar 18 09:11
Friend of my dad, Ken, worked in same pit, lived in our street. Had already gave me two tips that had placed, he'd saved some guy from a beating years before who then was working as a stable lad and gave him the tips.
  I was young and foolish and crazy then.
My first bet of day had been £70 Fighting Fit 9-4 won, then next Grand Canyon [ I think } £20 11-2 won.
  Come the last race I'd lost all my winnings and was not feeling happy. Ken walks into betting shop and whispers to me he had a tip.
More out of anger with myself for wasting my winnings I stuck £25 e.w. on Larryr at 10-1 {a debutante novice hurdler} in the last race of the day.
  No betting shop commentary until approaching the last hurdle, I was already resigned to losing by then, it's Larryr leading by two lengths jumps the last goes on to win.
  Ken must be around 90 now, saw his son the other day and related story to him then he passed this on to his dad. Ken still remembered and was chuffed to bits.
By:
gutfeeling
When: 18 Mar 18 09:28
Domino14 that horse was thae horse one of Fanshawes by any chance ?
By:
GHOSTOFALEXBIRD
When: 18 Mar 18 12:05
Jhonnys slippers trained by len lingo many years ago

Think there where 7 horses in the race all trained by Scots trainers

Backed j s all rates down from 25s to 7s I believe

Guess what it banged out in front and not another got near it[Cool
By:
GHOSTOFALEXBIRD
When: 18 Mar 18 12:06
Gutty that lass would not of been mrs gut would it

What a small world if it wasGrin
By:
GHOSTOFALEXBIRD
When: 18 Mar 18 12:07
L u n g o knot llingoCry
By:
domino14
When: 18 Mar 18 14:25
@gutfeeling ha ha no, I don't think a trainer like Fanshawe would have ever put me up lol
By:
gutfeeling
When: 18 Mar 18 15:48
Could've been Ghost as she told me a similar tale near word for word just from her perspective so thought I'd ask.

No worries Domino, You'd have only been told to hold it out the back and let it enjoy itself then give it a slap 3 out and see what happens Grin
By:
domino14
When: 18 Mar 18 17:19
By ghost I presume you mean Helen, who has worked their donkey's and is really pale ?
By:
jayc27
When: 18 Mar 18 17:52
Newmill for the Queen Mother in 2006. They tipped it up in the Outlook around beginning of that year. 250 on the exchange. Won at 12 or 14s. Also had a tip around 92 of 93 a horse called Erbil that won at 50/1. They said it could go well but not to go in deep. Put a massive £3 on!
By:
Crawford
When: 18 Mar 18 18:35
The thing that won the Champion Stakes under Frank at Newmarket a good few years ago.  Won at 20s or somesuch.  A tip from a tipping service that cleared a lot of the losses I'd accrued following their tips that year!

Also At Talaq which won the Melbourne Cup back in the 80s.  A mate of mine over here tipped me the wink when I was still living over there, said it was just short of top class.  Can't remember the price as it was on the TAB but a big winner!
By:
unclepuncle
When: 18 Mar 18 23:04
Was at Uni in Leeds in 1992 and for some reason the Yorkshire Evening Post had an article a few weeks before the Festival on Montelado basically saying that it was a certainty for the new bumper at Cheltenham.
By:
RothmanMike
When: 18 Mar 18 23:14
I notice that most of the tips mentioned to date were just selections.
None of the tipsters gave the reasons for these certainties, so for anyone backing them it was an act of faith.
My tipster, Mr David Johnson , gave me the reason which gave me the confidence to back it.
To qualify as a Tip, I would need chapter and verse ,which is singularly lacking so far in most of the above "stories".
By:
a bitofinterest
When: 18 Mar 18 23:19
FOYDC
By:
RothmanMike
When: 18 Mar 18 23:34
Another well-reasoned comment.
Tells you everything you need to know about the author.
By:
a bitofinterest
When: 18 Mar 18 23:49
sorry mike,i suffer from insomnia

now tell me chapter and verse about your tip from mr johnson....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
By:
sageform
When: 19 Mar 18 09:12
Oh So Risky for the Triumph. One of the joint owners was a friend of mine but not that experienced in racing. Just after Xmas that season, Elsworth told the owners they could have what they liked on the horse as it was a certainty! As a novice owner he thought this happened all the time. It won easily at 100/8 on the day.
By:
Bud
When: 19 Mar 18 10:55
When I was a student (40 years ago) in the holidays I used to work as a barman in a pub in Brum (The Wheatsheaf in Sheldon). There was an Irishman called Con who drank in there virtually every day. One day in the summer he asked me to put a bet on for him which duly won at 2-1 and he spent all night drinking his winnings away. On my way home I caught up with Con who was staggering back to his digs. We chatted for a while then he looked around to make sure no one else could hear and told me to back a horse called Dutchman next time it ran. He told me to keep it quiet and not to tell a soul. Anyway I told a few friends and we looked out for Dutchman over the next few weeks but it never ran. Months later just after Xmas I had arranged to take some friends to Warwick races. I was running a bit late and when I picked the last friend up he said it looks like we'll miss the first race. I replied probably but its only a large field of novice hurdlers and not really worth betting. Anyway he opened the newspaper then exclaimed 'F*** me, guess what's running in the first race?'. Dutchman was only running in the first race, it hadn't run for over a year and wasn't even in the betting forecast. I tanked it to Warwick and we got there with only minutes to spare. Dutchman was showing as the 3-1 favourite on most boards (we were in the cheap ring in the centre of the course). We managed to get 5-1 just as the flag went up. We retreated into the stand to pick out Dutchman and as they came past us there he was in the middle of the pack, an almost pure white horse. Those of you who know Warwick will know that if you are in the stand in the cheap ring you lose sight of the horses for a while and we couldn't make out the commentary so we were just waiting for the field to re-appear past the edge of the stand to our right. First a white horse appeared, then many seconds later the rest of the field eventually appeared. With about 3 furlongs left to travel Dutchman was already over 20 lengths clear. Dutchman jumped the last hurdle before the rest of the field had even got to the second last and won with the jockey hardly moving a muscle. I have never in my life seen a horse win so easily. Shame we were in the cheap ring because the SP was returned at 8-1.
By:
craigie69
When: 19 Mar 18 11:16
hard to figure ayr gold cup 33/1 ( also did small double with great winfred race few weeks earlier )
By:
sageform
When: 19 Mar 18 11:58
Lacson was trained by Bob Hawker and one day when I was going to Worcester, my brother who knew Bob, told me that they had a very good horse that would win that day. I got to Worcester just in time for the first novice hurdle and saw a horse in Hawker's colours circling at the start and thought it was the one I had been told about. It was called Pick Me and I was amazed to see 33/1 on the boards. I backed it anyway and it won easily. An hour later I found out that they hadn't fancied that one at all and Lacson duly hacked up at around 9/4 in the second division of the same novice hurdle! Those were the days.
By:
dyno-layer
When: 19 Mar 18 12:50
Back in the year 2000. I was fortunate enough to go to the craven meeting with a then very good friend of mine ( and who still is ) primarily to watch KINGS BEST run in the craven.

Gary Foster was the Stoute work rider who did a lot of the prep work on said horse and encouraged us to come and watch him run in his 2000 guineas warm up race.

He was too short for us to back that day but we were dissappointed that he might not be the horse Gary said he was.

After racing we met up with him in the pub and were surprised to find him as upbeat and chirpy as he was.

When we asked him why he was so full of the joys of spring he told us Kieran had told him not to panic. It had all gone wrong earlier today. He had no pace to aim at and got no cover so he had to go to the front far too soon as it was such a small field and in addition the dead ground was not ideal. Told us to keep the faith and said it would be a different story come 3 weeks time in the Guineas and if he was a decent price we could load right up as both he and KF believed this was a proper group 1 horse

I think we had a bit on early at around 14s and then got stuck right in on the morning of the race when we freely got around 10/1.

The rest is now history !!!!
By:
Huggy
When: 19 Mar 18 14:27
Bertie blue boy 2.20 Lingfield

Sshhh keep it quiet
By:
Deptford
When: 19 Mar 18 15:41
Buzzards Bay,Hunt Cup, 25/1, my old Grandfather,rest his soul was a regular at HQ, he was told a while before they really fancied it,I was 19, won a bundle
By:
johnnyrant
When: 19 Mar 18 15:59
Primitive Rising when he won for Sir Henry at R.Ascot back in the 80s. Was reliably informed he was a steering job. Won the 12f handicap on soft ground as far as he liked. Ended up winning a G2 race iirc.
Page 1 of 2  •  Previous 1 | 2 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com