Forums
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
These 257 comments are related to the topic:
ATR lose Irish racing rights

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 5 of 7  •  Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 257
By:
west zai
When: 03 Feb 18 16:05
Great to have the Irish in hd. Atr the only major sports channel not to offer hd pathetic. Deserve to lose it.
By:
screaming from beneaththewaves
When: 03 Feb 18 16:06
I wouldn't go that far, McCoy Carp.Laugh
By:
aberdonia
When: 03 Feb 18 16:07
maiden hurdles in the uk are full of horses not trying.
By:
McCoy Carp
When: 03 Feb 18 16:09
Lol
By:
When: 03 Feb 18 16:09
Fully agree, aberdonia. But in most British cases you have pictures good enough to watch those races and make a judgement on who the non-jiggers are.
By:
MJK
When: 03 Feb 18 16:11
I'm assuming then you don't watch big field maidens from places like Chepstow where there are horses 20L behind at the first hurdle?
By:
When: 03 Feb 18 16:12
What I'm trying to say is that Irish racing, thanks to the lousy ATR pictures, gives the impression that the non-triers are not something you're supposed to be able to look for. Hence it becomes a betting medium which is unattractive and lacks credibility. It discourages punters from trying to follow it.
By:
When: 03 Feb 18 16:20
I'd like to see Chepstow off ATR too, for that very reason.

I'm trying to be even-handed here, MJK. (I'm only half-English, if that helps.)
By:
jmdc
When: 03 Feb 18 16:27
^ ARC track
By:
MJK
When: 03 Feb 18 16:31
I understand screaming. I had assumed you were one of the anti green brigade on here. Apologies.
By:
stratfordman
When: 03 Feb 18 16:59
Think it's a sad thing personally...means we'll have to listen to more cr@p from the likes of Nevison, Freemantle, the Dick Suns etc.
By:
sparrow
When: 03 Feb 18 17:51
Yes all those split screens will look great in HD Cry
By:
portmanpark
When: 03 Feb 18 19:12
was talking to this bloke in the he betting shop today.....know he has RUK..............so I told him atr were losing the irishracing .... told him they were  moving their racing to RUK so I suggested they may charge him more..............he said he has had RUK for a few years but never paid a penny..........got some sort of box.............what is that and where can I get one??
By:
ribero1
When: 03 Feb 18 20:57
Meanwhile RUK happy to send Nevo to the other end of Great Britain to stand in front of a few bookmakers and tell us whats happening on here,their contempt for their members subscriptions knows no bounds.
By:
McCoy Carp
When: 04 Feb 18 11:28
Do what I did then, knock it on the head. They might be professional as someone above said, but they are definitely not a likeable bunch.
By:
differentdrum
When: 04 Feb 18 11:45
I wouldn't go as far as saying I like any presenter/gravy trainer but Gary O'Brien is about as professional as it gets on either channel.

There are plenty of absolute rubbish on both channels but there is by far a bigger whiff of smugness about those who currently steal a living on RUK.
By:
buddeliea
When: 04 Feb 18 12:01
Yep,one of the reasons why i do not have RUK.

I will have a decision to make now though it seems.
By:
spyker
When: 04 Feb 18 12:05
... And the fact that they spend 7 seconds washing the film through a bowl of dirty dishwater before broadcasting it.

It's still amazes me the (amount of) people on here who (probably) regard themselves as 'clued up' yet still don't know how and why there is a delay to all satellite broadcasts (all sky sports bbc news etc etc etc) and not RUK that uses other means - as highlighted by the changeover of Leicester pics last year. Personally if i were one of the few ir punters that is genuinely bothered by the delay I'd inform myself better about these things.........
By:
ribero1
When: 04 Feb 18 12:11
Would love to ditch them McCoy,unfortunately I want to watch racing most days on my television,also I record most of the replays which is another thing I don't like about RUK,you have to put up with endless interviews which take up far too much recording space,just recorded last years Cheltenham festival,half of it is the racing and half of it listening to McNae pontificating ffs!
By:
differentdrum
When: 04 Feb 18 12:34
If you read some of this you wouldn't believe it was actually possible to make a selection before a race.

Most punters away from here wouldn't give a stuff about picture delay. They would far sooner be viewing races for no additional charge.
By:
kavvie
When: 04 Feb 18 12:38
its too bad an idea to happen i think.the brits voting for brixit pales into insignificance as wrong decisions go..the turnover on irish racing will drop by at least half.  the atr channel will struggle for advertising.all irish advertisers will surely disappear.  the decentexposure of irish racing will be gone.  the casual viewer of whom make up the biggest part of the viewership will not miss it as they are only casual anyway..and ruk wont be as intrested and the presenters wont know(and wont want to know) 5% of what kevin o ryan,kevin blake and gary know..
By:
McCoy Carp
When: 04 Feb 18 12:40
I have come to the conclusion that I would be better off not watching live racing at all especially where I have had a bet - although it is extremely difficult to do. I would be better off, studying form in the morning, putting bets on, then doing something else with my time and then just checking the results later in the day or next morning. Replay races for form purposes if need be, otherwise don't bother watching it. Watching live racing where you have had a bet is just too emotionally draining at times and that's something you don't need when you're trying to make a profit. It's not just the fallers, bad rides, horses being pipped on the post etc, but I don't need a pre race commentator tipping up my horse & it is suddenly shortening in odds, the value is gone, my bot misses the bet, and the horse wins - just one scenario. It's definitely something I intend focusing on, as I start working again soon and we look forward to the better weather of Spring and Summer.
By:
TheFear
When: 04 Feb 18 13:30
any chance it could be stopped kavvie?
By:
Rider
When: 04 Feb 18 13:36
Most punters away from here wouldn't give a stuff about picture delay

you wont see a better example of a self-fulfilling prophecy than this
By:
stephaniebot
When: 04 Feb 18 13:40
Punters here who don't do in running don't give a stuff about picture delay either!
By:
TheFear
When: 04 Feb 18 13:49
punters who don't get restricted dont care about restrictions... but it's best to stick together
By:
kavvie
When: 04 Feb 18 13:52
picture delay is insignificant to 99.99% of people. .all sports on tv are delayed  i was loking at a soccer game in a pub a while back and had betfair on ..the market suspended 10 seconds before a goal was scored..so its common.i think it has to be reversed,and i think thetes moves a foot to, but you never know what will happen
By:
Rider
When: 04 Feb 18 13:55
really always amazes me how anonymous posters try to give themselves kudos by implying they only bet pre-race, its about profit, keep your options open they are not mutually exclusive, if you want to lay one and know statistically it trades short ir to good volumes why wouldnt you want the option of doing just that?

on delayed pictures you are cannon fodder leaving lays up late or near fences etc and dont have the option
By:
ribero1
When: 04 Feb 18 13:58
Just the 4 of them for Musselburgh today.
By:
pablo-fanque
When: 04 Feb 18 14:04
picture delay is insignificant to 99.99% of people

probably for the very reason that they are delayed that not many people care about delayed pictures.

in running betting ( just my opinion ) is the most exciting aspect of horse racing as a betting medium , and it is what will attract the youngsters to the sport . but when pictures are delayed by the amounts they are, betfair can't advertise just what a great product it is at the moment .
By:
TheFear
When: 04 Feb 18 14:08
the punters betting on footy are protected by the suspension. Unlike racing. You can't hoover money on football as far as i know.
By:
pumphol.
When: 04 Feb 18 14:08
There was talk a while back about BLV whether pictures were faster from ATR or RUK, at least on BLV if its an ATR race you get the full screen, from RUK on a busy day you don't get that privilege.
By:
sageform
When: 04 Feb 18 14:34
The ability to back or lay was a great improvement and so is in running. You just have to adjust your strategy to allow for the delay. Pictures are even slower if you watch ITV via Sky or watch any channel online of course. I tend to back early in a race and lay off at roughly half the price if I have had a speculative bet. I remember
talking to Jim Old about in running soon after it started and he said that Fred Rimell (for whom he rode) always said that you could make a fortune betting in running as many horses tell you after half a mile if they are on a going day. That is probably why it has never been available on course unless a brave bookmaker starts calling prices at half way as some used to do.
By:
Jack Bauer '24'
When: 04 Feb 18 15:28
It baffles me why anyone who considers themselves to be a good judge and is a serious punter does not chose to bet in-running where you have much more information available to make a judgement on the outcome.

Every single punter on here should care about picture delays, you are only doing yourself a disservice and limiting your options otherwise.
By:
G Hall
When: 05 Feb 18 22:52
Fair comment jack
By:
jmdc
When: 06 Feb 18 16:32
Ratpack just announced it's official.
By:
differentdrum
When: 06 Feb 18 16:35
Couldn't wait to blurt it out could he? Funnily enough the gravy trainer didn't mention all the negatives including the massive price hike.

Weasels 1 ATR 0
By:
jmdc
When: 06 Feb 18 16:37
I believe their gloating to be a little premature.
By:
geordie1956
When: 06 Feb 18 16:42
Surely they will have to put up subscriptions substantially
With all of the extra racecourses they will need to milk their subscribers otherwise the divi (profit) they distribute will be diluted significantly
They won't get many more customers so the existing ones will pay the price (I won't & I don't pay the full price now)
By:
Lampus
When: 06 Feb 18 16:54
When RUK first started they said it will be fr  to that

if it  goes past £600 a year
loads will  just  drop it
Page 5 of 7  •  Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies: