Forums
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
These 257 comments are related to the topic:
ATR lose Irish racing rights

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 4 of 7  •  Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 257
By:
sageform
When: 03 Feb 18 09:54
ihal Essex, I don't think that I am insane. I was replying to a post that was proclaiming Irish independence which is fine but they can't have it both ways. If they are independent from the UK which they are then why does Irish racing get different coverage to any of the other independent racing countries. No logic that I can see.
By:
differentdrum
When: 03 Feb 18 10:13
What I am struggling to understand is how this story only broke at the point when it was virtually a done deal. Were all the negatives actually discussed? Where were all the scoop merchants? Surely someone knew what was happening? Presumably, some people were sitting on this in the knowledge that they knew there would be massively negative reaction?
By:
1st time poster
When: 03 Feb 18 10:54
ruk 50,000 subscribers,surely the important figure is how many of them pay the full price .I and many on here don't and I,d stop subscribing if I had to pay full wack never mind an increased fee, for what I was getting  now for so called free under my sky package, sports fans like me have discounted packages at sky,bt and only get the add ons like ruk at special rates,black Friday,4,6,months free etc,etc
By:
PJay
When: 03 Feb 18 11:04
Who sold the rights in the first place? Idiotic. It's the wrong people making the decisions for the wrong reasons.
By:
aberdonia
When: 03 Feb 18 11:20
i much prefer ATR to RUK, they do a fabulous job with the irish racing which
is the best in the world over both spheres at present.

However as long as i can see all the races does not bother me too much
which channel shows it.
By:
aberdonia
When: 03 Feb 18 11:22
1st time poster
1st time poster 03 Feb 18 10:54 Joined: 25 Dec 05 | Topic/replies: 25,755 | Blogger: 1st time poster's blog
ruk 50,000 subscribers,surely the important figure is how many of them pay the full price .I and many on here don't and I,d stop subscribing if I had to pay full wack never mind an increased fee, for what I was getting  now for so called free under my sky package, sports fans like me have discounted packages at sky,bt and only get the add ons like ruk at special rates,black Friday,4,6,months free etc,etc

i have not paid full price for 5 years, on £10 per month until this year, paying £12.49 for this year.
By:
PJay
When: 03 Feb 18 11:43
I'm another ATR fan. Plus I think that if either channel/site/app is going to pull in new fans it's ATR. RUK focus on the diminishing number of die hards and just attempt to bleed as much as they can from them.
By:
ihal essex
When: 03 Feb 18 11:45
Sage: don't want to labour the point excessively as I believe you to be a bit set in your British Empire prejudices but take an objective look at what's on offer this weekend from Leopardstown and tell me honestly that You'd just as soon watch a sloppy-going claimer from the States, or in your case perhaps even SteepleDowns!!!

On a saner note I very much hope that this disastrous decision by Irish Racing (Stewards' Enquiry surely called for) to do the dirty on ATR that it will not lead to the demise of the ATR website, it is way and beyond better than that offered by the Racing Post, whose risible offerings I stopped paying for years ago!!!
By:
jmdc
When: 03 Feb 18 11:46
^ Utter bollocks.  RP Website far superior!
By:
geordie1956
When: 03 Feb 18 11:52
I prefer ATR & whilst I subscribe to RUK it is currently £10per month - renewal in June / July so it will go up but I would never pay full whack
Irish racing will lose out with this decision big time but not sure what will happen to ATR - excepting Doncaster it is very ordinary fayre & can their business model sustain Wolves / Newcastle / Southwell / Chelmsford / Lingfield for the most partas their main action
They are reportedly bidding for Ascot & other UK venues which they surely HAVE to win otherwise the channel is unsustainable

As an aside I have been offered all SKY sports channels at £15 per month and yet I'm reluctant to take uptheir offer as I haven't missed it at all since I gave up my subscription some time ago - miss the cricket somewhat but the Ashes were on BT anyway
By:
ihal essex
When: 03 Feb 18 11:57
I clearly remember one of the RUK's executives stating by way of response to the wave of criticism leveled at the company over its initial subscription charges, that the cost was 'only the price of a good bottle of wine' a month !! That's the type of upper class thinking these bloated, greedy fat cats apply when dealing with what they regard as the Grear Unwashed!!!
By:
1st time poster
When: 03 Feb 18 12:04
makes a change from the price of a cup of coffee a day ,so far me and the wife are getting buried,house insurance,car insurance,ruk,sky tom cobbley and all for the price of a cup of coffee a day,woke up in aweat in the mioddle of the night when I realised WE DONT EVEN DRINK COFFEE, SadSad
By:
duncan idaho
When: 03 Feb 18 12:05
moving Ascot back to ATR would be a terrible decision...be like watching the World Cup Finals on some dodgy internet stream
By:
PyrrhicVictory
When: 03 Feb 18 12:06
Sageform - why there is significantly more Irish racing in the UK compared with other countries? Conflating this with sovreignty misses the point and, frankly, has nothing to do with it.
I think it is due mainly to unique nature of the National Hunt code. The season is on six months of the year for a start. The interest and passion for this type of racing is not shared by any country on the same level as by Ireland with the UK (except perhaps the French).
Cheltenham is our annual Olympics - everything is geared towards this in both countries. Just being there for that roar when the flag falls for the Supreme - this is something that trancends borders in my opinion.
Then there are the Irish bred trainers, jockeys, stable staff and (of course) horses (some of them greats) that contribute, and have contributed, in innumerable ways to UK NH racing over the years.
Ireland may be a small country but it punches above it's weight when it comes to NH racing. Of course it would be seriously the poorer without the opportunities presented by the might of the UK NH industry - no doubt about it. But I doubt UK NH racing would be better off either?
I one for one am glad that I live in a time when NH racing in Ireland and Britain are both given such prominance on UK TV. This is because I'm interested in the sport. Ultimately I don't look at the "IRE" or "GB" next to the horses name when I'm backing it, nor the nationality of the jockey/trainer. Sure there is the sideshow of Ireland vs British winners at Cheltenham - that's only to be expected given human nature. But at the end of the day we all want to enjoy each others love of the game and ,hopefully,giving the bookies a bashing with one or two winners along the way at the greatest celebration of any sport that I've ever been at.
May I humbly submit that we need each other.
Conflict of interest declaration: I'm Irish (living in the UK) Happy
By:
ihal essex
When: 03 Feb 18 12:18
Pyrrhic: very well put mate, the joy of National Hunt seamlessly unites the two communities like no other sport - Roll On Cheltenham!!
By:
McCoy Carp
When: 03 Feb 18 12:32
Some might argue it's based around Cheltenham - and nothing else - and, like the build up to Christmas has become, got out of control.
By:
EastLower Gooner
When: 03 Feb 18 14:07
I cancelled my RUK subscription this morning.

VOTED FOR BREXIT and imo their decision is SHAMEFUL, DISGUSTING, REVOLTING, TREASONOUS and quite frankly an utter BETRAYAL of the British public's interests.

How the hell can it be Racing UK when it's more like RACING FROM ALL AROUND THE FKIN WORLD now.

They should be shut down, taken off the air and their directors chucked into prison imo.
By:
salmon spray
When: 03 Feb 18 14:10
They could just show Down Royal and Downpatrick I suppose.
By:
EastLower Gooner
When: 03 Feb 18 14:11
being serious...they need a new channel to handle the extra load else you run the massive risk of showing a lot of important UK races on a split screen with a 20 runner maiden hurdle around Thurles, Cork or Gowran Park.

I suppose you could get the Irish tracks to put their races back a few minutes but on a busy Saturday you could end up with a UK G1 followed by back to back to back races with no chance to do a post race review of the G1 (or a preview for that matter because you also need to preview the upcomming races.
By:
ihal essex
When: 03 Feb 18 14:12
Gooner: hate to see a fellow Gooner stress like this - I'm sending Nurse Ratched round as a matter of urgency!! Rule Britannia!!!
By:
differentdrum
When: 03 Feb 18 14:17
Nice to see Snooty keeping everyone updated with the Irish results. Presumably, he just forgot to do this in the past?
By:
jmdc
When: 03 Feb 18 14:20
He keeps saying we're waiting for Leopardstown when they clearly aren't!
By:
Rider
When: 03 Feb 18 14:20
with so much racing on ruk from 2019 there will not be much time for punditry in between, so hopefully there will be a long overdue cull of the gravytrainers which could then fund a red button facility (just tracks pics)
By:
sageform
When: 03 Feb 18 14:33
Cheltenham is in England last time I looked. What has that to do with televising Irish racing? As for being an Empire lover, I have already said that I am happy to acknowledge that Ireland are independent. I would love to get rid of all of our remaining colonies as they all cost taxpayer money.
By:
john92
When: 03 Feb 18 14:34
Remember the time Richi updated people with Irish results on a busy day and Luck said, "and in other news, Nelson Mandela has been released from prison", like a proper condescending twt?
By:
PyrrhicVictory
When: 03 Feb 18 14:39
Sageform. I'm sorry your mind is what it is.
Good luck.
PV
By:
RothmanMike
When: 03 Feb 18 14:51
ATR are amateurs compared to RUK,and that , along with a dislike of everything Chapman ,is the reason for the switch.
By:
screaming from beneaththewaves
When: 03 Feb 18 14:57
... And the fact that they spend 7 seconds washing the film through a bowl of dirty dishwater before broadcasting it.

Who knows? Maybe when Irish racing is finally viewable with clear pictures, there'll be less hostility to it. Currently Irish racing all looks like it's coming from Southwell in winter, hence the poor image it projects.
By:
duncan idaho
When: 03 Feb 18 15:10
exactly, screaming...hard to shed any tears in the circs
By:
When: 03 Feb 18 15:15
People can offer as many facts and figures as they like to argue that Irish racing is number one in the world, but as long as it carries on looking like a corrupt Asian Twenty20 tournament on Channel 800, it's always going to struggle for credibility.
By:
tips
When: 03 Feb 18 15:17
picture quality on atr is shocking never mind the 6 seconds delay
By:
MJK
When: 03 Feb 18 15:20
Credibility from who screaming?
By:
jmdc
When: 03 Feb 18 15:25
Irish racecourses also need to redesign their access paths for the cameras, so the runners don't seem to be 100 miles away.  Fairyhouse is particularly poor.
By:
MJK
When: 03 Feb 18 15:29
jmdc, if that means not having the excessive close ups as we see on ITV then I'd gladly leave it as it is.
By:
jmdc
When: 03 Feb 18 15:34
No MJK, I just want to see the runners without a telescope.  Scahill can't see them either, so I am in good company.
By:
jmdc
When: 03 Feb 18 15:38
If RUK had shown this lot together, we would never have seen the Irish Champion Hurdle!
By:
When: 03 Feb 18 15:52
MJK 03 Feb 18 15:20 Joined: 13 May 10 | Topic/replies: 8,505 | Blogger: MJK's blog
Credibility from who screaming?

From the posters on here who don't want to watch it (or bet on it).
By:
MJK
When: 03 Feb 18 15:54
So about 0.01 pc of jump racing fans then.
By:
When: 03 Feb 18 16:01
I think you'll find it's more that one in 10,000 jump racing fans who reckon the form from 20-runner maiden hurdles at Clonmel currently lacks credibilty. Particularly when you can't actually see what certain characters are getting up to in them.
By:
McCoy Carp
When: 03 Feb 18 16:04
Agree. makes our racing look straight.
Page 4 of 7  •  Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo