Forums
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
These 257 comments are related to the topic:
ATR lose Irish racing rights

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 3 of 7  •  Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 257
By:
Kriskin
When: 02 Feb 18 16:34
U can gain free Admission to certain meetings at Punchestown with the RUK badge.  Shows you something was going on behind the scenes
By:
MJK
When: 02 Feb 18 16:35
While I agree with the consensus that it's a bad decision, I'd also reverse the argument that some are making and ask what would ATR be without Irish racing the last while?
By:
buddeliea
When: 02 Feb 18 16:44
Agree with that as well.
This aint good at all for us.
Bad enough at the moment with virtually no coverage of horses in the paddock,and going down to post.
All we will see is the race.......although maybe sharing the screen with one or two other races!! 

Unless,they do it properly.......have another channel and less co called experts spitting out rubbish and stuff we all ready know.
By:
buddeliea
When: 02 Feb 18 16:45
And god knows how much the cost will be!!!
By:
Rider
When: 02 Feb 18 16:48
there is always the red button option, a bit like the football where you choose your game (meeting)
By:
McCoy Carp
When: 02 Feb 18 16:59
This is brilliant news, cannot stand Irish racing. How soon is it happening?
By:
the.mad.dog.man
When: 02 Feb 18 17:10
wish it was tomorrow i cant stand irish racing also
By:
grappler
When: 02 Feb 18 17:21
if you do not like irish racing you are going to be very unhappy because you will see more of it. the clash problem must surely have been discussed and a solution should not be beyond the realms. though i would still take the odd clash just to get pics only 1-1.5 behind on irish races. lv is no good. anything that hastens the demise of the dismal atr is to be welcomed, particularly if gob can be recruited to present it the irish stuff. the loss of irish pics has been a big loss and if we can obtain the same state of affairs that pertains now with ruk jumps, ie, behind, but not criminally so, many i/r wagons will be delighted, and facetime will not be worth the exes.
By:
sparrow
When: 02 Feb 18 17:27
Irrespective of your own personal likes and dislikes we will certainly end up paying more and getting more split screens.
By:
McCoy Carp
When: 02 Feb 18 17:37
If you subscribe to Racing UK. Two resolutions I made this year, to knock both Racing UK and Facebook on the head. Do not miss either.
By:
sageform
When: 02 Feb 18 17:42
Will it be in HD though? I can't see them putting up the price too much. If they only have 50,000 subs now, an extra 10 pounds a month would knock out a proportion of those and their income may not go up that much.
By:
sageform
When: 02 Feb 18 17:45
McCoy that is your choice. I used to be an annual member of 4 racecourses but with the loss of Tote Credit on course (the biggest disappointment of my racing life) and advancing age I can buy RUK for the cost of just one of those.
By:
MC Roller
When: 02 Feb 18 17:46
Sad news. I like Irish racing and this latest development is terrible news. Still, great stuff for the selfish who subscribe to that other outfit, but don't go whinging when the sport dies, you select few won't keep it going for long.
By:
sageform
When: 02 Feb 18 17:51
How many meetings are on RTE?
By:
flanders
When: 02 Feb 18 17:59
tough choice for Nev next year,weekend in Dublin or Edinburgh?
By:
differentdrum
When: 02 Feb 18 17:59
Amazing how many people seem to think racing is just run for in-running punters.

You can just see them sitting round the table going faster pictures it must be a done deal. Let's just forget about the other 99% who still get enjoyment from the sport, many of whom will not be able to afford the subscription.
By:
SlippyBlue
When: 02 Feb 18 18:16
That's very disappointing to read, I too like others enjoy watching the Irish racing a great deal on ATR.
By:
john92
When: 02 Feb 18 18:21
Hardly surprising that many people on the forum of a site which has a virtual monopoly on in running betting are concerned about how it it will affect in running betting. I doubt any of us think racing is only run for the benefit of ir players.

Anyway, according to the RP

"The most obvious outcome is Irish meetings will sit alongside RUK's British content on the same channel, with a separate Irish channel probably unlikely. At the start of 2018 RUK was scheduled to televise 803 British meetings, with ATR having 705, plus all the Irish cards on top of those. Until last year ATR also broadcast racing from Leicester, Stratford and Taunton, which may make RUK think incorporating Ireland into Sky channel 432 is far from impossible."

Surely this would be insane.
By:
ribero1
When: 02 Feb 18 18:33
Much prefer ATR to RUK,great shame.
By:
lordnoise
When: 02 Feb 18 19:37
How much did ATR refuse to pay SIS for the rights to show Irish racing ? Anyone know the figures involved ?
By:
punchestown
When: 02 Feb 18 20:07
How many meetings are on RTE?

-----------------------------
Very few live Irish meetings these days,if you go back a few years it was on every weekend (if not Irish racing then English),cut backs in outside broadcasts and perceived apathy from the public didn't help.

RTE are happy enough now and lazy enough just piggybacking the broadcasts from English TV of Cheltenham and Aintree and only really get energised by the Punchestown and Galway Festivals here and bother setting up proper outside broadcasts.

Think it will be a big retro step for Irish Racing to become such a small fish in such a big pond.
By:
ihal essex
When: 02 Feb 18 20:20
Shocking decision by the Irish Racecourses, wonder who got the bulkiest brown envelope!
Having said that I'm absolutely astonished by the raucous volume of British Empire Red Necks on here!
Hi Dinosaurs, America and Ireland won their wars of independence and Constantinople is not coming back soon.
Suck on it lads!!!
By:
sageform
When: 02 Feb 18 20:20
I can't see how you can prefer the blurred 1980's picture quality on ATR to the RUK coverage. If you listen to the waffle between races, fair enough but I find that with a jump race every 10 minutes, there is hardly enough time to look at form and place a bet before the next race starts so I usually have the volume right down unless there are horses actually racing. I would love to have the option of a cheaper coverage of all racing with just the paddock coverage if time and the racecourse commentary but no presenters.
By:
sageform
When: 02 Feb 18 20:24
I'm very happy to acknowledge Irish independence but why then are their breeding statistics lumped with the GB ones which means I have to keep my own spreadsheet to get separate GB sire statistics? Why does Irish racing get better coverage in GB than French, American, German or Hong Kong?
By:
tips
When: 02 Feb 18 20:25
there is no way you can have poor quality pictures and a delay of 6 seconds and the sooner atr come to this conclusion  the better or they will be gone
By:
sixtwosix
When: 02 Feb 18 20:27
News broken just before this terrific looking new festival ......you get one go and then you have to pay .
Doesn't leave ATR with much quality does it , St Leger , Welsh Grand National and oodles of dreadful all weather.
By:
PyrrhicVictory
When: 02 Feb 18 20:39
@ihal essex

Britain just won it's independence too!

Can't wait to see how THAT plays out.....! Surprised
By:
ihal essex
When: 02 Feb 18 20:54
Pyrrhic, If Brexit is founded on sound well researched economic considerations then I'm all in favour,  but somehow I get the impression that you'll sadly be singing  RuleBritannia as you take the lemming leap over the precipice! Come to think of it there might well be a clue in your moniker! Don't forget the parachute dear boy!
By:
lordnoise
When: 02 Feb 18 21:01
Its a horse racing forum gents - kn0b off to Chit Chat for boring colonial/brexit themed b0ll0x ...
By:
ihal essex
When: 02 Feb 18 21:06
sageform
sageform 02 Feb 18 20:24 Joined: 15 Jun 01 | Topic/replies: 10,522 | Blogger:
Why does Irish racing get better coverage in GB than French, American, German or Hong Kong?

Sage
Is this a serious question or are you insane!
By:
Deltâ
When: 02 Feb 18 21:07
lordnoise   

tbf you not really representing the 2002 HR contributors ...
By:
Racingqueen
When: 02 Feb 18 21:09
Surely RUK aren't stupid enough to hike the price by much?

They are over priced as it is
By:
Steamship
When: 02 Feb 18 22:26
This reminds me of the Racing Post versus Sporting Life back in the 80's and look where that has taken us. Some ruk courses may switch to ATR
By:
The Dragon
When: 02 Feb 18 22:36
ruk 10 times better than atr so good luck to them
By:
One Nation
When: 02 Feb 18 22:59
ATR is a shocking channel - appalling picture quality, a cynical and deliberate slowing of pictures, dismal professionalism (presenters often talking into a race as it goes off, adverts overrunning into races, frequent technical problems etc), woeful pundits and presenters, and tacky adverts which demean the whole experience ...

BUT ... by having approximately half the racing, and generally the dross, it does mean RUK is uncluttered and very rarely has to have a split screen (which is hopeless, no matter how big a television one has). If RUK try and cram this all on one channel, it will result in inferior coverage for both the Irish racing (which ATR did treat seriously, often to the detriment of the UK action), and the incumbent UK racing. A lose-lose situation imo.
By:
salmon spray
When: 02 Feb 18 23:02
Irish racing will regret this.
By:
PJay
When: 02 Feb 18 23:05
Killing racing slowly but surely. All in the name of money.
By:
kevo
When: 02 Feb 18 23:43
Why don't we wait until the details of how this transition from ATR to RUK will affect the impact on the RUK racing broadcasting schedule might have, or not have, from the parties involved.
By:
spyker
When: 02 Feb 18 23:59
Only way i can see RUK having 2 channels would be to lose the parity of the sd (466) channel, either permanently or maybe just when there is (big) irish racing on so hd=uk, sd=irish and 'lesser' uk tracks. What it prob will do is stop any(uk) course that was thinking of moving to ruk from doing so and i can't see more than a few hundred (maybe 1k+) that would sub ruk because of the irish racing. Subs around 50k and not risen in years from the (hard to find!) viewing/sub figs for ruk. i gather.
By:
portmanpark
When: 03 Feb 18 09:51
betting turnover will be down...plenty in my local only bet on irish racing because they can watch it on ATR............times that by the number of shops......lot of revenue lost
Page 3 of 7  •  Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com