Forums
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
These 257 comments are related to the topic:
ATR lose Irish racing rights

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 2 of 7  •  Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 257
By:
TheFear
When: 02 Feb 18 14:00
iselham im not sure who bets on the foreign stuff but if you give it a shop window on sky you're shooting yourselves in the foot imo.
By:
Wesdag
When: 02 Feb 18 14:09
What does that mean for "Get In" with no Dundalk to cover on Fridays?

Onlooker will be gutted if it goes.

Cry
By:
sageform
When: 02 Feb 18 14:10
I prefer watching RUK on the whole but it will be hopelessly overcrowded with Irish racing added. Even less coverage of the paddock and the unsaddling and no doubt clashes most days. I would much prefer one channel with all of the UK racing and another with Irish, French and Meydan.
By:
maelduin
When: 02 Feb 18 14:18
Maybe they plan to split it into RUK1 (English racing coverage) and RUK2 (All other) with seperate subscriptions. I hope so.
By:
houseofpain
When: 02 Feb 18 14:23

Feb 2, 2018 -- 8:18AM, maelduin wrote:

Maybe they plan to split it into RUK1 (English racing coverage) and RUK2 (All other) with seperate subscriptions. I hope so.

massive own goal for ireland if that happens, viewing and exposure on normal racing days zero.

By:
TheFear
When: 02 Feb 18 14:25
it looks like an SIS decision not an own goal by irish racing. The own goal was relying on SIS if im reading it correctly?
By:
wondersobright
When: 02 Feb 18 14:27

Feb 2, 2018 -- 8:10AM, sageform wrote:

I prefer watching RUK on the whole but it will be hopelessly overcrowded with Irish racing added. Even less coverage of the paddock and the unsaddling and no doubt clashes most days. I would much prefer one channel with all of the UK racing and another with Irish, French and Meydan.

agree, and the yank stuff also

By:
1st time poster
When: 02 Feb 18 14:34
tomrrows new hyped to death champions weerkend in Ireland will be  shoehorned in between Wetherby,muss and sandown cant see muss been happy about their trials weekend taking 2nd bilingl to Ireland in future
By:
wondersobright
When: 02 Feb 18 14:38
guaranteed to be overhyped

having said that, RUK would hype it to death if they had it

and they'll be overhyping musselburgh instead
By:
wondersobright
When: 02 Feb 18 14:40
nothing can be left to just be what it is now

everything has got to be ramped up to something its not

great horse, great race, great day, great meeting, great festival

load of bollox
By:
wondersobright
When: 02 Feb 18 14:41
not to mention great ride, great jockey, great trainer, great presenter, great pundit and everybody else great who it would be rude not to recognise
By:
1st time poster
When: 02 Feb 18 14:42
leopardstown 4 day xmas meeting going into battle with ruk,s English meetings
By:
screaming from beneaththewaves
When: 02 Feb 18 14:43
At least on RUK, even with a split screen, the public will be able to see what's actually happening in these Irish races for the first time.
By:
xmoneyx
When: 02 Feb 18 14:54
ATR will be called TJC (THE JOE CHANNEL)

S Africa racing
By:
john92
When: 02 Feb 18 14:55
There will have to be a new channel so ideally this would be the time for some added function to get pictures with as minimal a delay as possible. That would only be a possibility if they know there is a demand.

No doubt though there will be more pundits, more expenses for those pundits that have to be paid for by higher charges, more hype, more in-fighting if certain tracks get put on a lesser channel. I can't see it ending well.
By:
1st time poster
When: 02 Feb 18 14:56
atr might concentrate on the fobt,s, giant roulette wheels
By:
ihal essex
When: 02 Feb 18 15:01
Wot's gonna happen to poor Fitzy?
By:
1st time poster
When: 02 Feb 18 15:08
the roulette wheel will always need spinning ,whats fitzy like in a swimsuit and high heels
By:
wondersobright
When: 02 Feb 18 15:12
he's a resilient old stick, I'm sure on his 1st day he'll be appointed an "expert"
By:
sageform
When: 02 Feb 18 15:15
At least the ATR bias towards Irish racing might diminish on RUK. I still expect British horses and riders to be kept hanging around at the start while an Irish 3 mile hurl finishes.
By:
stewarty b
When: 02 Feb 18 15:18
Never knew about this but it will save me a few bob when I cancel Sky.
By:
dave1357
When: 02 Feb 18 15:21
Does no one think that showing Republic of Ireland racing on Racing United Kingdom might lead to some political comment?
By:
differentdrum
When: 02 Feb 18 15:24
Leaving aside individuals you might not like this is a shocking decision by the Irish. It shows a complete lack of loyalty to ATR who have done an excellent job in promoting Irish racing. Clearly that has counted for nothing. I have wondered why RUK have been showing the adverts for the big Irish meetings for a while and more recently previewing the Irish Festival. Now we know why. Previously, they did nothing. Not so long back they showed nothing but racing and replays. They were only embarrassed into doing features by ATR's output.

The main offshoot for the viewer will be a severe price hike. It is already (far) too much for a stand alone channel when compared to other sports. Fat wallets will pay anything. Good luck to them.

The other big problem is that the number of meetings requires two channels. As it stands there is absolutely no way RUK could cope.

Just because racing is a rich man's sport it shouldn't actually need to be rich to watch it. That is the main fall out from this decision.
By:
stewarty b
When: 02 Feb 18 15:28
Well said^^
By:
wondersobright
When: 02 Feb 18 15:31
another channel will be needed but its far from certain we'll get 1 imo

what is certain is that the number of pundits will continue to grow exponentially
By:
impossible123
When: 02 Feb 18 15:35
Anything without the loud mouth Chapman is always a good thing.
By:
flukes
When: 02 Feb 18 15:36
Ryanair for a Dundalk Friday night meeting or First Class on Emirates to Dubai; which will be Angus and Ricci's preferred weekly jolly?
By:
roggrain
When: 02 Feb 18 15:38
Excellent point.Dave 1357.

I have the ideal solution: Make Britain a Republic!
By:
jmdc
When: 02 Feb 18 15:38
Only good thing is the possible end of Boyce.  He'll have time to buy a new outfit now.
By:
impossible123
When: 02 Feb 18 15:40
Get Britain out of the EU 1st, anything after is a bonus, I say.
By:
sageform
When: 02 Feb 18 15:41
dave, good point, roggrain a terrible one. Presumably the GB courses that own RUK will be willing to join the opposition?
By:
TheFear
When: 02 Feb 18 15:46
differentdrum... as ive said it's SIS who made this decision NOT Irish racing. Unless i'm mistaken and i'm open to correction. Irish racing sold the rights to SIS and SIS have decided to switch to RUK?

"SIS holds sole and exclusive rights to broadcast racing from every Irish racecourse, having in March 2016 agreed a five-year deal with the Association of Irish Racecourses (AIR) that extends the arrangement until the end of 2023.

At the time it was made clear that At The Races would not be guaranteed to be providing the pictures when the new deal kicks in."
By:
flukes
When: 02 Feb 18 16:00
Presumably Gary O'Brien will be putting in a transfer request. In fairness he deserves to get the new gig.
By:
Kriskin
When: 02 Feb 18 16:04
Great news.  I don't care what channel shows the Irish stuff as long as it's NOT ATR.  They keep going about if being free, it aint free.  You need a certain package on SKY to view it.
By:
maelduin
When: 02 Feb 18 16:10
Would be great if they got GOB and Barry Geraghty (surely retirement beckons).
By:
troy71
When: 02 Feb 18 16:13
MAGIC!!!!!!  NO MORE 6/7 SECONDS BEHIND ON RACING!!!!. SEE IF THEY DONE SOMETHING ABOUT THE 6/7 SECONDS DELAY, A LOT OF PUNTERS WOULD BE A LOT HAPPIER!!!......HOPE THEY LOSE ALL MEETINGS. CR@P CHANNEL.ExcitedHappy
By:
RothmanMike
When: 02 Feb 18 16:22
No additional channel to show the Irish racing required under the new arrangement.
Remove the adverts currently shown liberally on ATR and you have another 20  mins every hour to show the actual racing.
By:
differentdrum
When: 02 Feb 18 16:23
Yes, we all know that old argument about the cost. How many more times? You don't have to then pay an extra £20+ on top do you? So it is much closer to free than RUK is.

Clearly some people can't see beyond their own back door.

The Fear

You conveniently missed out the bit about AIR having to verify the deal which seems to indicate they could stop it if they wanted to?
By:
pablo-fanque
When: 02 Feb 18 16:24
it might not resolve the picture speeds .

if SIS do the filming and send it on to RUK , i'd say it may still be slow.

if RUK do the filming , it may well be quicker than what it is now
By:
geordie1956
When: 02 Feb 18 16:28
I agree with differentdrums comments which i will display again; a very poor decision & loyalty counts for nothing. The Irish wouldn't have had a look in with racing coverage if it wasn't for ATR - Leaving aside individuals you might not like this is a shocking decision by the Irish. It shows a complete lack of loyalty to ATR who have done an excellent job in promoting Irish racing. Clearly that has counted for nothing. I have wondered why RUK have been showing the adverts for the big Irish meetings for a while and more recently previewing the Irish Festival. Now we know why. Previously, they did nothing. Not so long back they showed nothing but racing and replays. They were only embarrassed into doing features by ATR's output.
Page 2 of 7  •  Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com