Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
seaside
23 Dec 17 20:19
| Topic/replies: 2,625 | Blogger: seaside's blog
Had a few bags of sand on a few and I am pleased to say they have all won.

I was lucky one day at Ascot having backed Gales Cavalier for a bag and Dancing Paddy came down when looking to have the race won when upsides.
Pause Switch to Standard View What was the biggest bet you have...
Show More
Report mouse muldoon December 23, 2017 8:21 PM GMT
£3.50 & no.
Report TheFear December 23, 2017 9:15 PM GMT
had 2k on one and it fell at the first. Wouldn't risk that much again.
Report ronnie rails December 23, 2017 9:21 PM GMT
believe it or  not I have 2 ik bets in my life both got beat
went to back one at Kempton many many years ago one of sir henrys talking horses got beat cant remember the name but ran in the colours carson had something to do with backed it with taffy.

the other was at Donny a horse of Thompson jones called alami backed it with reg  boyle
the guy off  crimewatch used to say don't have nightmares but I still do,
don't post much now so happy xmas
regards
Ronnie.
Report mrs peopleater December 23, 2017 9:51 PM GMT
On a lovely sunny day in the spring of 1990 i had £1k on Stardust Roc @ 4/1 in a 3 mile hcap chase at Hereford. In the race he was held up early but made headway on the second circuit and jumped into the lead at the last fence in the back straight, however his lead was short lived as he was quickly collared by the fav who took it up at the next fence (3 out) and proceeded to leave Stardust a poor second. So much so that as the fav approached the home turn he had gone 20 lengths clear and i had mentally kissed goodbye to my £1k.

Then as the fav turned the bend to face the last fence, his saddle started to slip and poor old Smith Eccles, came out the side door, leaving a very lucky Stardust Roc (trained by Milton Bradley ) to romp home a 10 length winner. While i have had a few bigger bets i have never had a luckier one. Happy days
Report SlippyBlue December 23, 2017 9:51 PM GMT
10 grand, got nutted right on the line, I honestly thought it had held on. My brother drove to Exeter pre exchange days and had 11K on @ 8/11 on a Pipe horse that was a distance clear and fell at the last. That was a long drive back to Epsom for him that day.
Report gutfeeling December 23, 2017 10:02 PM GMT
Had £100 every week from November till beginning of March, Then on champion hurdle day had 1k on...Harchibald 2005, Memorable for a few friends as I threw up as they crossed the line.
Report xmoneyx December 23, 2017 10:08 PM GMT
1k lost

found my uncomfortable betting zone
Report punchestown December 23, 2017 10:17 PM GMT
Had £100 every week from November till beginning of March, Then on champion hurdle day had 1k on...Harchibald 2005, Memorable for a few friends as I threw up as they crossed the line. ShockedShocked
Report gutfeeling December 23, 2017 10:29 PM GMT
Just couldn't have him beat, Took years before i could watch it again without wincing Grin
Report seaside December 23, 2017 11:10 PM GMT
Went to Bangor one day and was doing my money so had monkey on one & 3/1 coming to the last it was beat as the Fav had jumped passed it and was going on to win

As it came to the last it fell and left my one to go on to win.

If I remember right I bet about three large that day and won or lost about five pounds.
Report Willie Shafter. December 24, 2017 12:49 AM GMT
biggest horse bet £60,000 on one of roger charltons that had fin 4th in french 1000gns that was running in a ripon maiden in 2008 ish.. 1.07

fillet steak that night.
Report kincsem December 24, 2017 3:54 AM GMT
€1,000 on Finsceal Beo in the 2007 English 1000 Guineas.
Won in record time for the race (then).  5/4 fav.
Report Happy Valley December 24, 2017 6:24 AM GMT
I had 8K on a race at sha tin and lost but i did leave the track that day 20K up, having backed a 100-1 chance Dashing which ran second and had 50 quid on a 200-1 forecast which prevailed. Clint Hutchison, now a star of Aussie horse racing TV coverage, put the bet on for me, as I'd left my money at home and had to get taxi back there to collect it.
Report Facts December 24, 2017 6:45 AM GMT

TheFear    23 Dec 17 21:15 
had 2k on one and it fell at the first. Wouldn't risk that much again.

As a matter of interest, what was the size of your racing bank, that justified a stake of £2k ?
Report aberdonia December 24, 2017 8:00 AM GMT
5 grand on Inishmore Island, a dunlop horse, won half the track at 4/5

Had 5 grand on a horse called North Ocean, Cumani and Cochrane, got 2500 at 3s and the rest at SP, 5/2

lost by the minimum distance in a photo that took 15 minutes to declare, that was in 1986 and was a sickener. Left the office to listen to the race......

had a few bets higher than 5 grand on here,they have won. biggest individual win was 4 grand on Collyweston at 9/4 , Prescott and Duffield, that won in a photo as well, but led all the way, again it was in the 1980s.
Report momontai December 24, 2017 8:32 AM GMT
INDUSTRIALIST
Late 1964 at Bukit Timah, Singapore. Trainer was a very young Ivan Allan. Well remember that only $10 in total was bet and my stake was $6.00. In those days the minimum bet was $2.00. It was the first race on the card and 12 was the saddle cloth number. I think the jockey's name was Rod Allan. 999-1 on the tote board but payout was about double.
Report Big Black Cat December 24, 2017 9:11 AM GMT
£350 on Soviet Song when she won her second Falmouth Stakes (2005 IIRC) at 11/8.

Never a worried moment. Class filly.
Report EVILROYSLADE December 24, 2017 11:09 AM GMT
A thousand on Florida Pearl when beaten by Looks Like Trouble in 2000 Gold Cup.
Report NOW WE KNOW December 24, 2017 11:16 AM GMT
5k win @16 on Now We Know at Bangor. Won by 16 lengths hard held.
Report khyber kim December 24, 2017 11:26 AM GMT
£500 ew to £5200 Khyber Kim when it won at Haydock first time out., Had scrabbled about in the morning to get about £150 ew at 11s and 10s, then went to the track. Opened 7s.
Report pumphol. December 24, 2017 11:54 AM GMT
My biggest bet was also £500 ew in the 1999 William Hill Golden mile, twenty runners on a horse called Omaha City  at 16/1  trained by Brian Gubby, horse was last & came ten wide into the straight looked for a moment it would come through to win but the exertions of getting there did for him & at the line was in a photo for fourth, it took ages & it was so close I couldn't tell, it was a mighty relief it did nick fourth Shocked
Report lcredd December 24, 2017 1:08 PM GMT
I lost £1500 on two separate occasions; not a bet as such, I was trading in-running and lost control. My usual win/loss is £2 - £10 so losing £1500 in 30 seconds made me feel physically sick. But whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Grin
Merry Xmas!
Report second again December 24, 2017 1:59 PM GMT
£1000 at 1/2 on a photo at Goodwood,at the big meeting.I thougnt my horse had won but if he had not he would get the race in the Stewards room if it had not won.A dead heat was called. Both horses in the photo were arab owned and it suited connections not to object.At least I got £750 back.I think one of the horses was Nedawi who won that years Leger.
Report eric_morris December 24, 2017 2:14 PM GMT
Once had a 50p Yankee on and paid the tax
Report sixtwosix December 24, 2017 2:14 PM GMT
£1000 on Sprinter Sacre at 1/4 when he won his first QM.
Never a moments worry .........not until his next run and the realisation the problem could have appeared at Cheltenham.....gulp.
Report eric_morris December 24, 2017 2:28 PM GMT
Other than that all antepost

5 grand on Moscow Flyer when he was too old, lesson learned

Grand on Eswarah 25/1 the Oaks won , then limited forevermore by that bookie, first in book only won 10k on race
3 grand double Cheltenham won 51 grand
Couple grand George Washington average 18/1 2000 Guineas first in book only won 10k net on race
Couple grand Motivator average 9/1 the Derby won 10k on race
Combi trebles won 20k
Grand Double on cross channel Derbys same weekend Motivator and Shamardal won 20k
Frankel a grand 25/1 after his maiden for the Derby, lost
Frankel a grand 7/1 Guineas won
500 Well Chief 20/1 Arkle won

Lots of others
Report eric_morris December 24, 2017 2:38 PM GMT
Similar stakes lost on numerous non runners over years had great prices, Big Bucks lost back what won on his first stayers win when declared out injured

Grand on Dawn Approach 16/1 after Coventry for 2000 Guineas won
Grand Big Bucks 6/1 first stayers hurdle won
Report foxy December 24, 2017 2:45 PM GMT
gutfeeling

its not much consolation but at least you have the memory of been very nearly right in the most amazing race ever ran at cheltenham.

my biggest horse bet came in the 1987 derby i backed belloto after the 2,000 guineas at 16/1 sadly win only.
Report seaside December 24, 2017 5:09 PM GMT
Just goes to show I forgot about this one I meant to lay it to lose just over two large it was a race at Lingfield over two miles what do I do ? click on the wrong box and backed it by mistake I thought must be fate I will let it run and get out inrunning if it looks like it might win race starts and the nag to my eye is not going to well so I let it run and I don't need to tell you what happened my wife comes in and says you lost today didn't you ?
How do you know because the pillows have been beaten up.
Report seaside December 24, 2017 5:20 PM GMT
Four figs on Dr Lent think that was the name of the nag (it was the horse that won at Chelters at 40/1) when it run in it's first Nov Chase I could not watch the race and went to the toilet this carry on from a pro gambler I can not watch it I just want to hear the result at the end of the race

The commentary is pipped into the bog aggggggggg I try to cover my ears with two to go I hear it's clear of the field so I go out and watch him jump the last and goes on to win.
Report gutfeeling December 24, 2017 5:44 PM GMT
Foxy

I also had £200 ew on maljimar in the William Hill chase at 14's when AP gave Wichita Lineman what many consider one of his greatest rides, The crowd i go with were all on AP and were congratulating me from 2 out...fair to say they melted away from me as the line loomed Laugh

I've had some good winners too but they're not nearly as interesting to talk about.
Report eric_morris December 24, 2017 8:56 PM GMT
Had a grand antepost 100/1 treble a year in advance of Cheltenham two winners with Rooster Booster who joined Hardy Eustace over the last. The Rooster 1/10 on here as they jumped it was outbattled by Hardy. That would have been nice.
Report eric_morris December 24, 2017 9:01 PM GMT
Grand on Flashy Wings at 33/1 the 1000 Guineas after seeing her at York i think. Also in double come Guineas day had her in my book for free bet to win 100 grand. Couldnt believe the downpour before the race totally destroying her chances and Channon putting Spencer up who dropped her out didnt have a clue how to ride her (up with the pace as liked to). Worst jockying off as Ted Durcan was great on her prior to that. Needed good ground anyway think she won Irish Guineas after.
Report eric_morris December 24, 2017 9:02 PM GMT
Flashy was antepost fav at about 3s but drifted with the rain on the day.

Grand on Teofilo the 2000 Guineas shortened to 3/1 winter favourite didnt train on.
Report eric_morris December 24, 2017 9:12 PM GMT
..Teofilo at 33/1 antepost
Report GHOSTOFALEXBIRD December 25, 2017 9:23 AM GMT
Backed hala Bec all rates down for sir Percy's derby wanted it for 12k

Came to win it then jinkedCryCryCry

Also backed collier bay for the triumph hurdle yonks back, stood on a stone 2 days before the raceCryCry

Did back both alderbrook and oh so risky for there triumph hurdles but no where near the money I had on hala Bec and collierMischief
Report lewisham ranger December 25, 2017 10:13 AM GMT
alderbrook never ran in the triumph hurdle. surely you mean the champion?
Report GHOSTOFALEXBIRD December 25, 2017 10:17 AM GMT
Sorry yes the champion you are correct

Oh so risky won I believe a uttox race in those zany colours it wore, I can R.E.M. Eating fish and chips in a shop when it won that race they went 20/1 so I had some

Also backed kribensis the gallant greyHappy

Never get that buzz anymore the game has lost it sparkle for me these dayzSad
Report zipper December 25, 2017 10:23 AM GMT
Vinny Roe.. Melbouren Cup.. 2nd   ...trainer won with the second string. according to the s/p. but its was a real horse race .. had a great time with friends
Report zipper December 25, 2017 10:27 AM GMT
vinny roe melbourn cup 2nd.... trainer won with his second string   . but it was a real race  had a great time with friends
Report zipper December 25, 2017 10:29 AM GMT
Have A Merry Christmas Lads
Report nijinsky01 December 25, 2017 11:02 AM GMT
Strange can’t remeberr peoples names but remember the bet like was yesterday horse was named sica dan had 100 on about 1973 and stablemate beat it was shell shocked
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com