Forums
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
onlooker
15 Aug 17 12:48
| Topic/replies: 38,045 | Blogger: onlooker's blog
Off you go boys -

I suspect this will become a long thread ...

Arena courses delay big-screen action in bid to crack down on illegal streaming

Wolverhampton: two-second delay on big screen

By Peter Scargill
12:33PM, AUG 15 2017

Arena Racing Company has taken action to combat illegal filming and streaming of the action from its courses by introducing a delay to the live pictures being shown on big screens.

While they still operate at a marginal delay, big screens at most racecourses run nearly live, meaning anyone off course who is capable of watching the races via the big screen has an advantage over those viewing the action on television.

This can have implications for punters betting on the action in-running, with major gains possible for those able to see what is happening before the majority of the market.

In-running punters have been known to hire expensive hospitality boxes at some fixtures to make the most of this advantage, but streaming of the big screen enables those off course to have the same head start without the costs.

Others who could be affected by the delay include jockeys, who use the screen to check where the opposition are, and paying racegoers watching on course. There are also implications for the lucrative media rights deals struck on racing’s behalf.

Alternative feeds

A delay of just over two seconds was timed by the Racing Post at Wolverhampton’s meeting last Friday. No such delay was evident on the big screen at Ripon on Monday.

Wolverhampton confirmed the delay and had been in effect for around six weeks. Officials were able to watch the action live on an alternative feed for integrity purposes, while no complaints had been received from jockeys or racegoers.

Increased security has been introduced at Chelmsford to prevent similar streaming taking place, with officials not wanting to delay pictures for the majority of racegoers.

Fraser Garrity, the track’s manager, said: “We’ve had a few ‘FaceTimers’ with mobile phones trying to film the action off the screens inside the stand, presumably to give an advantage of a couple of seconds to someone else off course.

“We have good security who are able to identify and remove people from the course. We’ve had our big screen only since February 2016 and we don’t want to disrupt the majority of people who are watching it legitimately by having a delay.”

Planned upgrade

Arc said the delay was part of a planned upgrade to big screens at the group's courses, with the all-weather tracks prioritised because of the amount of racing they host.

Director of operations, Mark Spincer, said: “Over the next year we're upgrading the feed to the big screens and TVs across our racecourses by moving from an analogue to a digital service. This creates a small delay, which is kept to a minimum, and will improve the quality of the pictures customers enjoy when they are on our racecourses.”

A spokesman for the Jockey Club reported there were no delays to pictures on big screens at its racecourses.
------------------

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 1 of 7  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 247
By:
pablo-fanque
When: 15 Aug 17 13:57
why not just provide a "pay as you watch" streaming service in real time for in-running punters instead of all this malarkey
By:
Deltâ
When: 15 Aug 17 14:05
Willie will have you for that outburst rcing!
By:
factmachine
When: 15 Aug 17 14:06
JUST GOES TO SHOW HOW LUCRATIVE THE HOSPITALITY BOXES ARE TO RACECOURSES (ESPECIALLY THE ALL WEATHER) WERE PEOPLE CAN LAY BEATEN AND IN SOME CASES DEAD HORSES ALL WITH THE BLESSING OF THE RACECOURSES AND GAMBLING COMMISSION,BUT SHOULD ONE OF THE ONCOURSE BOOKMAKERS TAKE A BET OF A 17 YEAR OLD,THE BOOKMAKER COULD LOSE HIS LICENSE!
By:
clayfield1
When: 15 Aug 17 14:08
Why not stop in running betting. Those on course are just taking advantage of the idiots sat at home betting in running, if it was a level playing field how many in running betters would there be on course.
By:
know all
When: 15 Aug 17 14:14
its still great as you can watch every day race for free if you know where to look just publicising it to the whole world where to now get it free lol they cant stop people face timing live I know someone who has a camera in his buttonhole so impossible to detect
By:
loper
When: 15 Aug 17 14:14
As one of the idiots sat at home betting in running I dont need you campaigning on my behalf thank you very much, Clayfield1.
By:
john92
When: 15 Aug 17 14:16
I'm a happy idiot then.
By:
pablo-fanque
When: 15 Aug 17 14:20
delta , WS is preparing the cabbage as we speak
By:
Wesdag
When: 15 Aug 17 14:22

Aug 15, 2017 -- 2:08PM, clayfield1 wrote:

Why not stop in running betting. Those on course are just taking advantage of the idiots sat at home betting in running, if it was a level playing field how many in running betters would there be on course.

Can't make it pay so nobody else should.

By:
sparrow
When: 15 Aug 17 14:26
Laugh
By:
tips
When: 15 Aug 17 14:26
happy idiot here
By:
jamesdean
When: 15 Aug 17 14:36
No point having a camera wired into your shirt button to facetime delayed pics
By:
clayfield1
When: 15 Aug 17 14:43
Wesdag, I can and do make it pay on here but don't and will not bet in running. Take a look how long I have been on here, October 2002 I joined, you joined August 2009. If you make money betting in running with people that has up to a 6 second advantage over you good luck and well done, but not for me.
By:
Wesdag
When: 15 Aug 17 14:45
Well that's your choice, don't try to deny others.
By:
loper
When: 15 Aug 17 14:50
Thank you, Wesdag, you may campaign on my behalf.Wink
By:
sparrow
When: 15 Aug 17 14:51
tips    15 Aug 17 14:26 
happy idiot here

Where exactly?
By:
pablo-fanque
When: 15 Aug 17 14:54
If you make money betting in running with people that has up to a 6 second advantage over you good luck and well done

it's not this slow clay
By:
tips
When: 15 Aug 17 14:55
what do you mean sparrow?
By:
sparrow
When: 15 Aug 17 15:01
That is precisely what I have asked you, tips.
By:
sparrow
When: 15 Aug 17 15:02
I see now who you were referring to tips  Grin
By:
grappler
When: 15 Aug 17 15:27
le visagetemps de doughville est magnifique.
By:
Willie Shafter.
When: 15 Aug 17 15:28
Deltâ    15 Aug 17 14:05 
Willie will have you for that outburst rcing!

he aint sedd nowt Confused
By:
Deltâ
When: 15 Aug 17 15:30
get IN, again

stand by ...
By:
pablo-fanque
When: 15 Aug 17 15:40
wots gannin on ear delta Happy
By:
Deltâ
When: 15 Aug 17 15:44
Willies gone at the game ...
By:
use2begudear
When: 15 Aug 17 15:48
"part of a planned upgrade" LaughLaugh

real story is the track players started crying because the facetimers were making it harder for them and they really do need that 50 yard advantage to rob the mugs at home Shocked

must have forgotten to delay the pictures into the Betfair in running boxes or its not part of the planned "upgrade"

why do these clowns give quotes and think we are all mugs and will swallow their sh1te ?
By:
howard
When: 15 Aug 17 16:17
Let's have some figures for how much racecourses  are  raking in from box players.  Jocks now have an excuse for missing a fast finisher.
By:
use2begudear
When: 15 Aug 17 16:39
Don't worry the BHA will look into this and ensure fairness and integrity for everyone LaughLaugh
By:
know all
When: 15 Aug 17 23:44
No point having a camera wired into your shirt button to facetime delayed pics - only the big screen pics delayed plenty of other screens it will make no difference to our operation hes got 30 on his books tenner a day
By:
Willie Shafter.
When: 16 Aug 17 00:43
big screen/tv's

all delayed.
By:
mouse muldoon
When: 16 Aug 17 01:10
More muppet back to lay money needed, but I don't think I've heard the chief exponent push it at all in his recent sabbatical from HK + not even seen that Richmond fellow pushing it lately either.
By:
mouse muldoon
When: 16 Aug 17 01:20
Mr Willie Shafter, would you consider taking a gig on RUK to promote back to laying for the purpose of getting more muppet dead money in the pool to be hoovered?
By:
Willie Shafter.
When: 16 Aug 17 04:14
i simply utilise whats available...if folk want to play in running against people with quicker pictures then caveat emptor...i dont force anyone to play...

do as i do..get off ya 4rse and go to the track.
By:
mouse muldoon
When: 16 Aug 17 09:54
Yeah, but we need to rope in more of the sort of mugs who put money in and leave it up there don't we? - the sort of campaign that Betfair claimed they were going to spend the premium charges on all those years ago.
By:
spyker
When: 16 Aug 17 11:07
Wolverhampton confirmed the delay and had been in effect for around six weeks

And yet all the shrewdies on here haven't noticed a thing.....
By:
TheFear
When: 16 Aug 17 11:17
Anyone know if the TVs are delayed in the PRESS ROOM?

Let's email Wolvo and give them their first complaint,,,
By:
DIFERENT GRAVY 12
When: 16 Aug 17 11:47
well said Willie, people want it on a plate
By:
TheFear
When: 16 Aug 17 11:53
No one wants it on a plate. They want a levelish playing field with liquidity.
By:
dustybin
When: 16 Aug 17 14:01
Wolverhampton confirmed the delay and had been in effect for around six weeks

And yet all the shrewdies on here haven't noticed a thing.....

Maybe it was the disruptive force they thought it would be?
Page 1 of 7  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com