Forums
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
These 167 comments are related to the topic:
4.25 Why did Supersta win?

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 2 of 5  •  Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 167
By:
mackies-fc
When: 21 Mar 17 19:43
Barton Bank, well done. After watching that Id give him a run at Hamilton Park. I think he might like the course.
By:
gibs
When: 21 Mar 17 19:52
Well done BB...I backed him at Wolverhampton lto but had rev FC today with the 2 he beat!Thought that if he was gonna handle the track he'd have run on it by now,so passed him over even though I'm a big fan of SDS...Heigh ho...
By:
Andrew in Sweden
When: 21 Mar 17 20:01
Possibility the horse will attempt to win the race in Sweden that we tried (and failed) to win with Pearl Nation a few years ago.

I guess that's the group race at Jägersro. Taby closed recently, so there's only 2 flat tracks here now and Bro Park is poor.

Don't venture into the immigrant areas of Malmö late at night if you go to Jägersro.
By:
Barton Bank
When: 21 Mar 17 20:05
It is the Pramms Memorial at Jagersro. I think we managed to avoid the immigrant areas (by accident rather than design) last time we had a runner there (Pearl Nation). It is possible we will have another runner on the card in one of the sprints also.
Interesting theory regarding Hamilton, will bear it in mind. Lack of 7 furlongs races might be an issue. Though he will probably get away with 6f on a stiff track.
By:
Andrew in Sweden
When: 21 Mar 17 20:12
Thanks BB, i'll keep an eye on the card in May. Just out of curiosity, do you transport the horse(s) by road and why go to Sweden for a race. Wouldn't France be an option ?
By:
Racingqueen
When: 21 Mar 17 20:12
Very WD Barton Bank. I thought he ran a very promising race LTO and the new surface under this trainer always had potential for improvement.
By:
GLASGOWCALLING
When: 21 Mar 17 20:15
Andrew, surprised to see the warning about where to go... I was under the impression that Sweden was pretty safe. ?
By:
Barton Bank
When: 21 Mar 17 20:17
Not ruling out France. Last time our horse went by road via Germany. Took the staff and the horse a long time to get there. The prize money is very good for the level of the race but getting the horses there in A1 condition isn't an easy job. Last time the horse looked in great nick but the surface wasn't slow enough for Pearl Nation and he was out of the money despite running a good race.
By:
mackies-fc
When: 21 Mar 17 20:24
Scottish stewards cup was the race that immediately sprung to mind tbh. Good luck whatever you do hes been a great purchase for you either way.
By:
ihal essex
When: 21 Mar 17 20:32
BB: take it from me if you genuinely believe Rod in Pickle club doesn't contain media gravy-slurpers, then you've been kept in the dark, but why worry? You're in the club, in the know, so hey ho let the heist begin! Keep the faith, only the outsiders get shafted!
By:
Andrew in Sweden
When: 21 Mar 17 20:33
Glasgowcalling, Sweden is safe (generally) and ignore mot press reports, they are prone to gross exaggeration, although in recent years crime has risen due to immigration and there are actually areas in Stockholm and Malmö that you should avoid late at night. If you stick to touristy areas anywhere you will not have a problem and I recommend anyone that has never been to Sweden to go, specially in summertime.

BB, yes, it's a long haul by road, done it myself several times. When I was here the first time (mid 90's) there used to be a ferry from Harwich to Göteborg, but it doesn't run now. Thankfully there is a Ryanair airport not so far way, but i'm not sure if they transport horses, although nothing would surprise me about that airline Wink
By:
Andrew in Sweden
When: 21 Mar 17 20:35
*most press
By:
Barton Bank
When: 21 Mar 17 22:23
Ihal, I know two of the so called "gravy slurpers" very well (the Dixon lads). I don't know Richard Hoiles personally though I have met him. Cornelius Lysaght is not a member of the syndicate. I can assure you I have not been kept in the dark. Am mrely questioning the relevance of your comments.
By:
Barton Bank
When: 21 Mar 17 22:27
Andrew, an unrelated question. If you were going to attempt to go and see the Northern Lights and had 10 days to 2 weeks to spend in Scandinavia where would you go?
By:
the dealer
When: 21 Mar 17 22:31
well done today BB
By:
Barton Bank
When: 21 Mar 17 22:46
Cheers, the dealer.
By:
ladycarla
When: 21 Mar 17 22:47
WD must be a good feeling when your horse wins.
By:
MJK
When: 21 Mar 17 22:49

Mar 21, 2017 -- 12:52PM, Barton Bank wrote:

Of course I know that. Galloping them in twos (as Mick normally does) does not tell you whether they will handle the kickback in a competitive race though. Particularly when they have a tendency to miss the break.

Excuse the obvious question but why doesn't he gallop them in fours, 2 in front and 2 behind, to at least get an idea?

By:
Barton Bank
When: 21 Mar 17 22:54
Cheers Ladycarla, It's a great buzz, aye. Makes up for the occasions when they disappoint.
MJK, I don't know! In all honesty I don't go down and watch the horses gallop very often so it is entirely possible that he sometimes does this. Have had horses in several other yards previosuly and for the most part they tend to work in twos (or at most threes).
By:
MJK
When: 21 Mar 17 22:58
Cheers and well done. Hate the AW but you're not exactly the worst on here so enjoyExcited
By:
Barton Bank
When: 21 Mar 17 22:59
I will take that as a compliment!
By:
ihal essex
When: 21 Mar 17 23:02
WD must be a good feeling when your horse wins.

Agreed Lady Carla but wouldn't it be nice to spread the 'good feeling' especially among the poor sods you keep in the dark while getting paid to advise them?

Not content with the gravy train slurping, they're actively engaged in misleading the betting public! It all adds to the pot don't ya know!
By:
ladycarla
When: 21 Mar 17 23:23
Ihal, I would love to get free information but it's as likely as Ladcrooks taking a half decent bet on a double figure horse at 9am Laugh All the best to the ones who pay the fees and vet bills as it's a hard game especially when they breakdown on the gallops Sad

Barton, have you ever had that experience?
By:
thegiggilo
When: 21 Mar 17 23:36
Gaze733 21 Mar 17 16:50  

Something is crooked. RP forecasted him as a 16/1 yet he started as 5/1 and won by by 3.75 lengths. I'm starting to notice a pattern. Horses which look like godawful value yet start at a suspiciously low price tend to win a lot

A weak race for grade,some taking massive step up in class couldn't possibly be bigger than 5/1 tops if it had been a ,ile wouildv'e been even shorter..
By:
Barton Bank
When: 21 Mar 17 23:40
Which one? Having a horse break down on the gallops or getting a decent bet on a double figure horse with Ladcrooks at 9am?
The answer is yes to both but it has been a long time since the latter!
By:
ladycarla
When: 21 Mar 17 23:45
I did mean the horse/gallop but sorry for asking only realised after I posted it was too personal. Best of luck with the future and hope the Sweden target comes off.
By:
Barton Bank
When: 21 Mar 17 23:51
No, it is absolutely fine. Losing horses to injury is something you accept when you have been involved in ownership for a number of years. I think a lot of people don't realise the fragility of race horses.
By:
Andrew in Sweden
When: 22 Mar 17 08:31
Andrew, an unrelated question. If you were going to attempt to go and see the Northern Lights and had 10 days to 2 weeks to spend in Scandinavia where would you go ?

Hi Barton,

I assume you’re not going to see the Northern lights in May (after the Malmö race) or thinking of driving (it’s almost 2000 kms) Wink

Seriously, you need to go to Northern Sweden in winter, beyond the arctic circle, ideally late November to late February for the best effect (you can see them outside those months) and stay a few nights as there is never a guarantee you will see them, it’s all dependant on metrological conditions. If you stay 3 nights, you should be OK.

I suggest combining this with several days in Stockholm city, you can fly to Kiruna direct from Arlanda (main airport) with SAS. There are also flights from Malmö.

From Kiruna you can take a trip to Abisko National Park (about 75 minutes by bus - train - rental car). There are several tourist companies offering activities, and you could even visit the ice hotel whilst you’re up there.

I recommend staying in Kiruna as Abisko is only a village area (there is a space station up there as well). Take good winter clothing, it could be as low as -20c, although generally it’s in - single figures, but Swedish weather is very changeable. It’s a dry cold anyway, not like the damp UK winter. I've experienced -27c where I live in the south !

I can’t comment on watching the lights in Norway, but Svalbard and Tromso are the main resorts.

I remember watching a BBC documentary about the Northern lights with Johanna Lumley many years ago, see if it’s on you-tube, it was really good

There are many useful links online, but if you need any more information, just give me a shout on here.

Good luck if you go, it’s an incredible experience.
By:
Andrew in Sweden
When: 22 Mar 17 11:46
I remember watching a BBC documentary about the Northern lights with Johanna Lumley many years ago

Bad grammar ..... I would like to point out I was not with Johanna (I wish) Wink
By:
McCoy Carp
When: 22 Mar 17 12:06
It was Proform top rated and their tissue guide was 4-1. I backed it at 11-2. I can see, with it's running style and it's official rating of 93, that you would either be reluctant to run it because of kickback or there would be few opportunities for it with such a high rating but I'm amazed it never ran at Southwell earlier in it's career? AW mark must go to @ least 100 now I would of thought. I think the BSP (5.88?) was lower than the official SP of 5-1. Don't know if that tells you anything.

War Department, Hugh Taylor's tip was stuffed, and yet the silly sod told you why that might happen - the 1 draw. Maybe one to look out for next time?
By:
Barton Bank
When: 22 Mar 17 15:07
Andrew, was looking at going in January 2018. Am going with a few mates so will pass your suggestions on to them for their perusal. We can fly to Tromoso from UK which (along with the far north status of the city) makes it appealling but we wouldn't want to stay for a full 10 days so travelling back via Sweden is most definitely an option. Will defintely wrap up warm regardless!
By:
Andrew in Sweden
When: 23 Mar 17 06:00
Barton, this is the Joanna Lumley documentary ref the Northern lights, it will give you an insight of what to expect

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQMDmB2z2j4
By:
ged
When: 23 Mar 17 09:37
She also visits the village of Kautokeino (the name of a maternal great-grandsire of Kauto Star, and the source of all horses with 'Kauto' in their name, and therefore demonstrates how 'Kauto' should have been pronounced).

Alexander Armstrong also did a nice little series of programmes where he visited the far north. I think he got stuck for a night on the Sweden/Norway border when the weather closed in.
By:
duncan idaho
When: 23 Mar 17 10:23
ihal essex 21 Mar 17 22:02

Agreed Lady Carla but wouldn't it be nice to spread the 'good feeling' especially among the poor sods you keep in the dark while getting paid to advise them?

Not content with the gravy train slurping, they're actively engaged in misleading the betting public! It all adds to the pot don't ya know!

And you would be the first with the foul-mouthed tirades if they did say they fancied one and it got beat....ffs they didnt even fancy this one for reasons given  Crazy
By:
barstool
When: 23 Mar 17 11:02
Good luck with Suresta.

Don't let Mick Appleby waste him like he has done with the other horse.
By:
barstool
When: 23 Mar 17 11:03
Supersta - apologies.
By:
ihal essex
When: 23 Mar 17 11:25
Duncan Idaho: And you would be the first with the foul-mouthed tirades if they did say they fancied one and it got beat....ffs they didnt even fancy this one for reasons given  Crazy

It's because of village-idiot utterances like the one above that the fraudsters are allowed to prosper! Didn't you notice the morning line projection contract from 16/1 to 5/1 you lemming!!!
Now continue racing headlong to the precipice you mug!
By:
Barton Bank
When: 23 Mar 17 12:23
Which horse are you suggesting that Mick has wasted, barstool?
Ihal Essex, you're talking bollocks now. The morning line projection was clearly wrong. Nothing to do with the owners fancying the horse. I didn't back him at all and I think a couple of the other owners had small amounts on. You could find plenty of examples of horses being punted, but you are way off here.
By:
GLASGOWCALLING
When: 23 Mar 17 12:44
morning IHAL, i think you letting the running of this horse takeover your first valid point regards the racing press.

ive no idea why the op stated that that supersta was ever 16/1, then casually in his next post say " well maybe not 16/1 but 8/1 " !!

not so much of a gamble when you use that price as a starting point, as had been mentioned if you thought the horse would act on the going

8/1 was a gift.  alas i was not privvy to that info.
By:
ihal essex
When: 23 Mar 17 14:49
Morning GlasgowC: delighted for u, it's always 'a good feeling' when the odd nut is occasionally unearthed especially by a blind squirrel like myself! I did not have a bet in the race but have to confess that, despite the media connection, to being somewhat impressed by Barton Bank's articulate defence of the 'mini coup' in which he wasn't involved! And, at least, he's spared us the old chestnut of stating Supesta 'always runs on its merits'!
Page 2 of 5  •  Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com