Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
cardifffc
31 Jan 17 14:02
| Topic/replies: 13,051 | Blogger: cardifffc's blog
both great but I just love o'Hehir commentaries ......just watched the 1975 sweeps hurdle with night nurse winning
Pause Switch to Standard View michael o'Hehir or peter...
Show More
Report cardifffc January 31, 2017 3:59 PM GMT
anyone watch the old races on youtube............bbc racing was brilliant.....o'hehir came over every year to do the national.......its his commentary on the foinavon race when the carnage happened
Report norn iron January 31, 2017 4:03 PM GMT
BOTH EXCELLENT BUT SIR PETER FOR ME
Report sixtwosix January 31, 2017 4:50 PM GMT
I frequently watch old races on youtube ,they were both fabulous commentators , mind most sports had superlative ones then ......unlike today.
Report cardifffc January 31, 2017 5:34 PM GMT
espmadrid and eddie c have loads of races uploaded on youtube..some have extended footage which is great
Report kavvie January 31, 2017 5:35 PM GMT
hard split them.they were def 1 and 2 of all time
Report cardifffc January 31, 2017 5:35 PM GMT
agree both are great but as soon as I hear graham goode on I have to knock it off
Report candy1 January 31, 2017 5:41 PM GMT
Only one winner must be Sir Peter !
Report cardifffc January 31, 2017 5:49 PM GMT
I agree he was excellent but the voice of MOH is just made for racing commentaries
Report workrider January 31, 2017 5:52 PM GMT
Peter for me, but the greatest commentary EVER has to be O'Hehir's Foinavon National.
Report sixtwosix January 31, 2017 5:55 PM GMT
I swear it must be Oath ...... the king is in his counting house ......yeuckkkk two real low points.
Report SlippyBlue January 31, 2017 5:57 PM GMT
Sir Peter every time.
Report cardifffc January 31, 2017 6:04 PM GMT
think peter was great.......unflappable ...made very few mistakes ....great voice......think Julian wanted to take over but peter stitched him up
Report Minger January 31, 2017 6:11 PM GMT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgsYJfViql0 the golden age of hurdling .
Report cardifffc January 31, 2017 6:22 PM GMT
I love watching the hurdle races with comedy of errors\Lanzarote\night nurse\grand canyon\ monksfield\ dramatist
Report haplessamatuer January 31, 2017 6:53 PM GMT
2 outstanding ones for me from Peter O'sullevan the calmness with Be Friendly winning the Vernons sprint
you would never guess he was the owner.
Secondly "the mare is getting up "
Report GLASGOWCALLING January 31, 2017 6:56 PM GMT
SIR  peter wins hands down. Cool
Report Johnny_Mustang January 31, 2017 7:34 PM GMT
Neither could hold a candle to Tom Durkin.
Report geordie1956 January 31, 2017 7:39 PM GMT
I vaguely remember one race from the late 70s...I think it might have been the Irish Sweeps Hurdle & O'Hehir was magical with his observations on the race & general enthusiasm...a great voice for racing commentary and yet for consistently good performance & not going over the top O'sullevan was majestic..pity todays lot don't watch some of it to see how it should be done
Report jimmythewon February 1, 2017 11:22 AM GMT
As was pointed out by John McCririck (he gets some thing right) the typical O'Sullevan commentary would not be acceptable today. All he did was to name the horses in the order he saw without identifying them for viewers. That was his way. The modern commentary (ATR and usually RUK not always ITV) starts " Brown Boy leads in the purple silks from Grey Girl on the inside in the noseband" etc. Anyone who hasn't checked the colours (sometimes they bear little resemblance to what is shown in the press)now knows which horse is which.
Report Tolmi February 2, 2017 9:32 PM GMT
It's natural to look back on the past with somewhat rose tinted glasses but having recently looked back at many Youtube recordings of past Grand Nationals and Champion Hurdles O Sullivan's commentaries varied between average and poor.His voice was excellent for commentating but his accuracy and awareness of what was happening in the race were poor.

Before anyone tells me I'm writing rubbish look back over the available recordings and see what you think.
Report equine flew February 2, 2017 9:38 PM GMT
"He's beginning to get up...."   Still gives me chills

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcCuIVn6egM
Report saxon farm February 2, 2017 9:40 PM GMT
^ Agreed
Calling See You Then, See You AGAIN on the run in of a Champion Hurdle.
Calling Loving Words, Loving RECORD  home in 3rd in Grittar's Grand National.
Report blackbarn February 2, 2017 9:44 PM GMT
Hi Tolmi (Black, White sleeves and spots on bodyCool).  No wish to malign the great man, but I have some sympathy for your view, although there are lots of diamonds to set alongside the poorer efforts.
Report GLASGOWCALLING February 2, 2017 9:54 PM GMT
intresting article about sir peters legacy.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/628430/Peter-OSullevan-horse-racing-grand-n...

i would recommend his book  " calling the horses " to any racing fans.  Happy
Report Tolmi February 2, 2017 10:20 PM GMT
Spot on(if you pardon the pun) blackbarn.

I just stumbled upon the youtube recordings when I looked at Red Rum's National's after Brian Fletcher's passing.One thing led to another and I must have viewed 20 Nationals and 10 Champion Hurdles over the next few days.

Many of the commentaries were towards the end of his career but I was struck by the lack of detail and accuracy in many of them.
Report Ramruma February 3, 2017 12:53 PM GMT
The consensus view is that PO'S went on way too long and towards the end his commentaries suffered, and he'd call horses by (say) their sire's name (which is probably more than some could do today even if they wanted to -- but that is not the point).

David Coleman (iirc) made a point about commentating on the Olympics that is probably relevant here -- that as he got older, he (Coleman) had to leave the 100 metres to the younger guys because he could no longer get athletes' names from eyes to brain to mouth quickly enough.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com