Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
TheAnorak
14 Mar 15 13:24
| Topic/replies: 3,802 | Blogger: TheAnorak's blog
Seemingly of no interest to Betfair or RUK, but just about the best chaser and the best 4-y-old hurdler in France are both making their 2015 debut this afternoon at Auteuil.

At 2:40 our time, Milord Thomas, winner of the 3m3f Grade 1 Prix Le Haye Jousselin last November starts his spring campaign in the Grade 3 Prix Troytown. The trip today is short of his best and he has to give weight all round to his eight rivals, but he'd be worse off in a handicap as he's rated 790, equivalent to about 172 in the UK.

Then 35 minutes later, the winner of the top French 3-y-old hurdle race in November, Bonito Du Berlais, turns out in the Grade 3 Prix D'Indy over 2m 2f. He's won his last five hurdle races in France and there was a chance he'd have raced yesterday at Cheltenham, as his owner is British and has had horses in training here for the last 20 years. But why do that when you can race for almost as much money even in this lower grade in France, with 60,000 euros to the winner this afternoon. Bonito Du Berlais has already won 344,750 euros in France - Peace and Co has picked up £114k for his three Graded wins in the UK.

If RUK aren't covering these races, then this link will provide live pictures with the added bonus of no pundits or presenters, just the races:

http://www.centraltv.fr/france-television/france-galop-tv
Pause Switch to Standard View Top French Jumpers at Auteuil Today
Show More
Report zilzal1 March 14, 2015 1:12 PM GMT
Cheers Alan..Hope Cheltenham was good for you
Report blackngold March 14, 2015 1:19 PM GMT
these two will probably end up the the uk or ire for the next jumps campaign munirs guy is probably over there now with the chequebook out ready.
Report Ibrahima Sonko March 14, 2015 1:22 PM GMT
Is there an easy link to the racecards ?
Report Ibrahima Sonko March 14, 2015 1:23 PM GMT
got it now.

http://horseraces.pmu.fr/racecards/meeting/1713
Report TheAnorak March 14, 2015 1:30 PM GMT
Zilzal,

It was, thanks mainly to the French horse in the Coral Cup. Really enjoyed yesterday as well, great to see a small yard proving that you don't have to go to France and pay up to half a million to have a chance at the big races.
Report Life-Lucky March 14, 2015 1:32 PM GMT
Thanks, Anorak
Report ged March 14, 2015 1:32 PM GMT
(2.40 race named after Troytown who was an Irish-bred horse, and the last horse to win both the Grand Steeple-Chase de Paris and the Grand National. He was killed trying to win the former race for a 2nd time. He's buried in an animal cemetery in Paris - same place as Rin Tin Tin!).
Report wormster March 14, 2015 1:40 PM GMT
RUK ahowing both Grade 3s live
Report elise March 14, 2015 1:54 PM GMT
anorak, did i read somewhere that you are cotswolds based or was that someone else?
Report TheAnorak March 14, 2015 2:01 PM GMT
Swindon, so not too far away in distance terms, but a world away in reality!
Report elise March 14, 2015 2:05 PM GMT
i rem now sorry, we had a conversation and i've mixed you up with someone else, but as it happens i'm in a village close to cirencester
Report alun2005 March 14, 2015 2:10 PM GMT
Is that Smudge doing the UK commentary I can hear????
Report alun2005 March 14, 2015 2:12 PM GMT
Sorry - ignore that, I've got two audio streams running on computer !
Report FOYLESWAR March 14, 2015 2:17 PM GMT
anorak any news or views on la viciente ,2.20 sand 1st run for pipe from france ?
Report FOYLESWAR March 14, 2015 2:18 PM GMT
la Vatican ^^^^^^^^^^^
Report elise March 14, 2015 2:18 PM GMT
milord thomas is a tad short currently
Report elise March 14, 2015 2:39 PM GMT
couple of options against the fav (although fav really should win)

argentique & valban - taking fitness on trust for argentique but gets a 4 kilo pull after a 3rd behind the fav lto btn
Report elise March 14, 2015 2:40 PM GMT
not sure where the rest of that post went, should have said btn
Report elise March 14, 2015 2:41 PM GMT
less than 6l and valban a fair e/w chance having had a run

don't use less than sign lol
Report TheAnorak March 14, 2015 2:49 PM GMT
Hadn't looked at the Kempton card, had no idea that one was running - Cheltenham fatigue!
Report FOYLESWAR March 14, 2015 2:52 PM GMT
cheers anorak the ex frenchie ran well, just bumped into one
Report tashkent terror March 14, 2015 2:55 PM GMT
glad to see the French are also at it....what a joke of a ride on the fav LaughLaugh

RUK studio swerved nicely away from picking up on it.
Report TheAnorak March 14, 2015 3:14 PM GMT
Justice for the winner though, as he'd been done by another thrown in Frenchie last time.
Report koikeeper March 14, 2015 3:21 PM GMT
You have to laugh at those french jocks....
Report knot in wood March 14, 2015 6:52 PM GMT
would you have a opinion on the warren greatrex horse ALOOMOMO running in the 4.05 at carlisle tomorrow theanorak.

must be just guess work giving a mark of 109.
Report TheAnorak March 15, 2015 10:54 AM GMT
A mark of 109 is a bit lower than a straight translation of his Frenc mark would suggest, but his form is so moderate that I doubt it will make any difference. There's a glimmer of hope from his last run as the horses that finished 4th and 5th have run OK since, but that was over a much shorter trip than today. The only time he tried more than 2m 2f, he was beaten by even further than usual.

Sending a moderate French bred 5-y-old from Lambourn to Carlisle to contest a 3m 2f chase on soft ground and a stiff track looks to me like a recipe only Heston Blumenthal would appreciate. But the new owners do seem to be prepared for the need to drown their disappointment!
Report mange March 15, 2015 11:04 AM GMT
I see the dam won AQPS races..........do they still have them ?
Report deadbrain59 March 15, 2015 11:08 AM GMT
mullins sent one over fortnight ago,gitanes de burlieu, 9 st 11 lbs, took 5/2 .hacked up 15/8 fav.Happy
Report TheAnorak March 15, 2015 11:16 AM GMT
Mange,

Yes, the AQPS races are still a regular feature of the French program. Although they are usually described as 'French bumpers' over here, that's really just a con forced through by the trainers and bloodstock agents to allow the AQPS horses to run NH novice hurdles.

Unlike our bumper races, qualified horses in France can revert to an AQPS flat race after running in hurdles and/or chases and there are no limits as to how many of these races a horse can run in. Some make an entire career of them - when reseaching a horse a few weeks back, I found he'd run against a rival that had run in 26 AQPS flat races over a period of four years.
Report quantize March 15, 2015 11:25 AM GMT
If the BHA does not sort out UK prize money then I can see more UK/Irish horses going for French races in future.
Report mange March 15, 2015 11:31 AM GMT
thanx
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com