Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Greenacres
25 Feb 15 20:01
| Topic/replies: 321 | Blogger: Greenacres's blog
Can anybody old enough please cast their mind back to the early 1970s to see if they can remember a wonderful book on how to bet the horses?  It was a book adapted from an American publication to fit British horseracing and contained the word/name 'Major' in the title. It was this book that got me into betting horses and I would dearly like to find out if any copies are still in circulation - needless to say I committed the cardinal sin of lending it to a 'friend' who never returned it.
Thanks in advance.
Pause Switch to Standard View 1970s horseracing book
Show More
Report ph. February 25, 2015 11:18 PM GMT
I've misplaced a few and have no idea where, Alec Bird biography,Mark Coton thing and 2 Alan Potts, Nick Mordin Betting for a Living and W Wightman Months of Misery Moments of Bliss.John Francome 10 greatest rides Video.Its a pain when you lend things out and get too old to recall.
Report GLASGOWCALLING February 25, 2015 11:33 PM GMT
i didnt realise bill wightman had wrote a book ??

one of my first betting memories was in a betting shop in southampton in 1974, i was in with a mate and not old enough to bet when 3 or 4

old farmer types came in who unbeknown to us were in to back " flying nelly " as bill trained just a couple of miles out from southampton.

the rest is history the horse wins 22/1 and the shop had to send out for more money. ! ( cambridgeshire ).
Report ph. February 25, 2015 11:42 PM GMT
I paid £12.99 from WHS in Newmarket at least 15 years ago. Listed all his winners from Day 1 and SP's and jockey at the end. He was a patient man and made the game pay. I backed Googly and Digital a few times with the Angry Ant in the saddle. Almost certain it is Months of Misery Moments of Bliss.
Report ph. February 25, 2015 11:52 PM GMT
Can't locate The Benign Bishop-Ken Oliver either.Just finished Phil bull again, Horsetrader was last week, Julian Wilson before that. Its merely nostalgia. Horsetrader is a good read,no wonder these people don't need to gamble, they are betting astronomical sums on 2 and 3 year wagers.Needing to find a Derby winner each year to break even, what are the odds? Seriously rich men who still needed to syndicate. Magnier is probably the most influential person in Racing but it had to start somewhere and somebody had to back his vision and belief.
Report top2rated February 26, 2015 7:35 AM GMT
Report Ramruma February 26, 2015 9:39 AM GMT
You've given away the crown jewels now, @top2rated.
Report Greenacres February 26, 2015 3:20 PM GMT
Thank you, Ramruna, 
Dare I ask if that is your own copy?
Report Wannawin. February 27, 2015 2:23 PM GMT
Greenacres.

You have PM.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com