Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
TheFear
16 Jan 15 18:29
| Topic/replies: 12,591 | Blogger: TheFear's blog
well said
Pause Switch to Standard View Johnny Francone - ban the whip
Show More
Report xmoneyx January 16, 2015 6:31 PM GMT
out of 10

how much does whip hurt the horse
Report the.mad.dog.man January 16, 2015 6:31 PM GMT
spends a fortune on his hair
Report Thin and Crispy January 16, 2015 6:31 PM GMT
Why not ...it'll be the same for everyone.
Report easygold January 16, 2015 6:32 PM GMT
Nonsense........... talk....... there are so many horses that need a crack over jumps. And I have seen Franco.. use the batton a lot when he was riding a slow boat.
Report TheFear January 16, 2015 6:32 PM GMT
Not sure. If you go to slap your kid across the face but don't actually make contact how does the kid feel?
Report TheFear January 16, 2015 6:33 PM GMT
He doesn't look bad for 62 mad dog man.
Report xmoneyx January 16, 2015 6:33 PM GMT
lost his tan

must be living the highlands
Report ZEALOT January 16, 2015 6:33 PM GMT
THE FEAR - what a senseless statement stfu
Report Thin and Crispy January 16, 2015 6:33 PM GMT
If they cant jump without being hit they shouldn't be in the race in the first place.
Report easygold January 16, 2015 6:34 PM GMT
a half a ton getting a few taps with a weakened tool since he has ridden........ Talking rubbish
Report TheFear January 16, 2015 6:34 PM GMT
Exactly, thin and crispy. You can't say they love to race but need to hit them to jump.
Report xmoneyx January 16, 2015 6:34 PM GMT
try slapping a bbw ,they love it
Report EastLower Gooner January 16, 2015 6:36 PM GMT
So far his argument is limited to - ban it tomorrow and no one would say anything after a week and it's stopping people from coming racing because they don't like that sort of thing.
Report EastLower Gooner January 16, 2015 6:36 PM GMT
Personally....don't know why need jockeys...greyhounds get around just fine...lets do that
Report Eeternaloptimist January 16, 2015 6:37 PM GMT
It's a difficult one because without looking at things like recourse to the whip I'd imagine the stewards would find it harder to rule on non triers. On the other hand it is difficult to defend races where the horse which wins is the one most vigorously beaten. Possibly controversially had they took the whip off him I don't think McCoy would have ridden nearly as many winners. Of course when your money is down you often like the fact that your horse is going to be ridden by somene like that or Richard Johnson who will both get stuck into a horse to get a tune out of them.

On balance I would ban it and level the playinf fied to the best or most willing horse and actual jockey ship being rewarded rather than brute strength.
Report martin118 January 16, 2015 6:37 PM GMT
What a joy to see Francome lay into these two useless muppets.
You can see Harvey thinking 'FFS hes not agreeing with me'
He is absolutely spot on on the whip and the National
Report Ramruma January 16, 2015 6:38 PM GMT
Racing needs to find a way of enforcing the existing whip rules -- which imo means disqualification -- or a complete ban is where it will end.
Report MJK January 16, 2015 6:38 PM GMT
All the AW jockeys should be whipped
Report the.mad.dog.man January 16, 2015 6:39 PM GMT
spends a fortune on his hair
Report ZEALOT January 16, 2015 6:39 PM GMT
his hair looks like a weakened mop .
Report TiptheOdds January 16, 2015 6:40 PM GMT
Remember when the new whip limits were brought in we had exactly the same discussion. At the end of the day we would still have winners and losers. 

But imo the positives would outweigh the negatives:

1. The best jockeys would still win most races, but strength, balance and jockeyship would be more important
2. There would be less interference since mostly horses veer in response to the whip
3. No jockeys would get whip bans
4. The sport would not lose any fans, and might actually gain some
5. Exhausted horses would no longer get beaten up to finish 4th or 5th, just so the jockey appears to the stewards to be making every effort
Report xmoneyx January 16, 2015 6:45 PM GMT
does francome gamble
Report aberdonia January 16, 2015 6:51 PM GMT
Is he saying that the should have no whip at all when riding.

utter nonsense.

the world has gone pc mad.  I will bet if he was still riding he would not be saying this.
Report aberdonia January 16, 2015 6:52 PM GMT
cant believe that there would be less interference without a whip.

horses would be rolling into each other all the time.
Report sewter lives again January 16, 2015 6:53 PM GMT
I agree with Francome about the whip
Report differentdrum January 16, 2015 7:00 PM GMT
Until a horse starts talking nobody knows how much pain the whip causes. It is just speculation. It is a fact that not hitting them at all will cause less pain.

Personally, I think the whip is only retained because jockeys actually enjoy the macho element of showing how strong they are in a finish, they don't like the idea of using hands and heels for any length of time and some punters can't accept a jockey is trying unless he is actually using a whip. Don't think they are strong arguments for retaining it as anything other than a steering aid.

I am not sure what is so wrong with the horse who has the most natural ability beating one who has be 'persuaded' to win.
Report aberdonia January 16, 2015 7:04 PM GMT
not using a whip does not mean that the horse with the most natural ability wins.

probably means that the most willing horse will win rather than the most talented.
Report TheFear January 16, 2015 7:06 PM GMT
That's the same in athletics or boxing whatever. The one who applies himself most might beat a more naturally talented rival.
Report kevinglass January 16, 2015 7:28 PM GMT
If the horse who has the most will to win gets first prize, then they'll be the ones that are used more as stallions/borod mares, and eventually you'll breed out the ones that don't want to run.

Might take a wile mind, and of course no more Mad Mooses!!!
Report ZEALOT January 16, 2015 7:54 PM GMT
He's not right about whipping

I love it when my horse gets whipped ta fyk
Report GEORGE.B January 16, 2015 10:33 PM GMT
Perhaps it's time to start looking at alternatives to the whip:

- The permitting of ear plugs that can be pulled out during a race?

- Something that a jockey can carry that when switched on makes a noise that provokes the flight response?

- The ringing of a bell at the 2f marker? (I know that may sound ridic, but they use it in the USA at the start of races). Then again you may end up with regular racegoers going deaf after about 20 years Grin

All suggestions welcome...
Report brain dead jockeys January 16, 2015 10:38 PM GMT
whipping horses in the last two furlongs is an addiction.........the jockeys do it for no reason whatsoever..............they just keep cracking away.
Report GEORGE.B January 16, 2015 10:46 PM GMT
Did use of the whip cost a horse a race yesterday - Canuspotit? The head-on showed it hanging badly to its left in the closing stages.
Report GEORGE.B January 16, 2015 11:06 PM GMT
OK, let's come up with some SENSIBLE suggestions that could replace the whip as a means of stimulating the flight response and ensuring horses keep running / quicken up.

How about:

1. Someone on a powerful motorbike follows the horses round at a safe distance, then at the 2f marker starts revving the engine like a f*cking lunatic!

2. Someone sits in the ambulance that follows the horses round, then around the 2f marker, winds down the window and through an amazingly powerful megaphone, shouts:

GIDDY UP YA LAZY FARKERS...

3. A hungry lion that hasn't been fed for over a week is released onto the track after the horses turn into the home straight in order to give chase.

I'm sure you will all agree, these are flawless, thoroughly well researched ideas!
Report xmoneyx January 16, 2015 11:27 PM GMT
Doris day shouting whip crack away 1furlong pole

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x_xmujSyxkU
Report GEORGE.B January 16, 2015 11:32 PM GMT
Excellent suggestion, xmoneyx, and it's given me another idea...

You could have cowboys following the field round, then around the 2.5f marker when the jocks start asking their mounts for an effort, the cowboys would start cracking those long whips. So we'd still have whips, only they'd wouldn't be used on the horses!
Report xmoneyx January 16, 2015 11:37 PM GMT
stewards fine jockeys for whip wrong hand,so obviously whips keep horses from veering
Report doantwin2easy January 16, 2015 11:41 PM GMT
think JF was advocating keeping it handy for cases where horse starts veering / misbehaving.

I guess the line could become somewhat blurred however.
Report xmoneyx January 16, 2015 11:43 PM GMT
richer the race,harder the whip

all races £500 max
Report GEORGE.B January 16, 2015 11:46 PM GMT
Apparently whipping isn't permitted in Norway - perhaps that's why Mr Stier is determined to persevere with the whip in this country, cuz he can't stand the thought of Norway being "world leaders" on the issue!
Report TiptheOdds January 17, 2015 1:18 AM GMT
there is a big difference between flat and jumps. On the flat horses often hang or veer when they are whipped, otherwise 99% of the time they will run straight. Over jumps tired horses often need a tap to keep them from running out because they don´t want to jump.

Jockeys don´t get penalised for having the whip in the wrong hand xmoney, only for continuing to use it forcefully once a horse has started to hang...a big difference.
Report Arklearkle January 17, 2015 2:26 AM GMT
Instead of Big Mac substitute Francome. They are both history and trying to keep their profile up. Pathetic.
Report koikeeper January 17, 2015 5:53 AM GMT
Francome, never been afraid to tell it like it is..Grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgKF87h9vzE
Report deadbrain59 January 17, 2015 9:14 AM GMT
the irish woudnt like itCrazy
Report sidthekid January 17, 2015 9:28 AM GMT
"easygold   
16 Jan 15 18:32 
Nonsense........... talk....... there are so many horses that need a crack over jumps. And I have seen Franco.. use the batton a lot when he was riding a slow boat."

And I have seen Franco Mullering my horse at Ascot to Win a Neck after giving the 2 Leaders a 20 Length start.
Report sidthekid January 17, 2015 9:29 AM GMT
And it Wasn`t a slow boat, it had a great Turn of foot, 10 Wins and 10 Seconds from it.
Report TheFear January 17, 2015 9:59 AM GMT
Joined:   28 Apr 11      | Topic/replies: 3,483  | Blogger: Arklearkle's blog   

Instead of Big Mac substitute Francome. They are both history and trying to keep their profile up. Pathetic.

Trying to keep his profile up by quitting C4 racing? A cunning plan was it, Baldrick?
Report DickTurpin January 17, 2015 10:58 AM GMT
Anyone that wants the whip banned in racing doesn't know much abouts animals............................or is an animal rights????????? NUTJOB...............
Report DickTurpin January 17, 2015 10:59 AM GMT
FFS, jump jockeys kick horses in their stomach's in a finish................
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com