Forums
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
These 158 comments are related to the topic:
Geoff Banks and his support for standard each way terms

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 3 of 4  •  Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 158
By:
Racecourse Regular
When: 10 Sep 13 09:54
Mug - To Repeat what I said before..... If I log into a Wifi in my hotel or MacDonalds they host the homepage, but with various pop up ads....... let me put this another way..... you will probably get the Ascot home page e.t.c but with a very prominent web banner advertisement with the Billy website e,t,c.......... Billy will have paid Ascot X for the privilidge...... nothing wrong with that as far as I can see......... Ok I backtracking slightly I know......... I would suggest that this site will have first refusal on any prominent advertising

When are the on-course books going to realize that bigger than the exchange is the future....... Fact has realised and fair play to him.......... the flimpers days are numbered and on-course books need to act know and make sure they don't look round and say where have all the punters gone we better do something about it know......... it will be too late by then
By:
Racecourse Regular
When: 10 Sep 13 09:55
The Illumani Going Bigger than the machine surely not they have seen the light at last........ 21st century bookmaking......... just need to apply the same to their negotiating skills and commercial awareness now Laugh
By:
Racecourse Regular
When: 10 Sep 13 09:56
Bigger than the machine.......... its the future
By:
wasnot
When: 10 Sep 13 09:58
So let me get this right.  The future for on-course bookmaking is that once all racegoers have their smartphones logged into betfair our only way of making a profit is to go bigger than betfair and let the punters back with us and lay at less on here for a free day out?  Is that right?  Sounds like a great plan Laugh
By:
factmachine
When: 10 Sep 13 09:59
RR AND THE ODD MEMBER OF THE ILLUMINATI WILL ACTUALLY LAY A BETHappyBUT NOT TO MUCHSad
By:
parispike
When: 10 Sep 13 10:01
Stephen Little accommodated professional punters sportsadvisor. Why can't you?
By:
factmachine
When: 10 Sep 13 10:04
WASNOT,SO LET ME GET THIS RIGHT,THE FUTURE FOR ONCOURSE BOOKMAKING IS THAT ONCE ALL RACEGOERS HAVE THEIR SMARTPHONES LOGGED INTO BETFAIR  WE JUST SIT BACK HOPING TO TAKE THE ODD £2 THEN COMPLAIN THAT WE CANT STRIKE A BET,WHAT WILL HAPPEN IS THE COMMISSION AGENTS AND THE FLIMPERS WILL BE GONE OVERNIGHT,SOUNDS LIKE A GREAT PLANHappyHappyHappy
By:
factmachine
When: 10 Sep 13 10:07
PUNTERS KNOW U CANT GET TWO BOB ON HERE OR THE DAQ,COME RACING,WITH BOOKMAKERS THAT TAKE A BETHappyNO COMMISSION,NO PREMIUM CHARGE,THE FUTURES BRIGHT,BRING IT ON!
By:
adge
When: 10 Sep 13 10:07
and now he's seen out and about riding  on a bike.

seriously though , Geoff Banks doesn't refuse any bets on course. the offices and internet are totally different gravy
By:
Racecourse Regular
When: 10 Sep 13 10:08
Fact lol
By:
Racecourse Regular
When: 10 Sep 13 10:08
Where have all those punters gone........ oh I better do something now to compete
By:
Racecourse Regular
When: 10 Sep 13 10:09
Laugh
By:
factmachine
When: 10 Sep 13 10:09
THE ONLY THING WE NEED TO BE WORRYING ABOUT IS THE TOTALLY UNSUSTAINABLE DEAL DONE ON OUR BEHALF WITH THE RACECOURSES.
By:
Racecourse Regular
When: 10 Sep 13 10:12
you compare apples with Pears....... Stephen Little operated in an era when he could make a proper book by taking a weight of money on a spread of horses........ Big Turnover but small margins......... In Geoff;s era he is likely to be filled in on one or two selections and won't see a bean for the rest of the runners........ What would you do?  As he says it's business..... but again the face of the business has changed
By:
foxy
When: 10 Sep 13 10:13
as a matter of interest does anybody think its time for a live auction ?
By:
Racecourse Regular
When: 10 Sep 13 10:14
Fact Don't worry.......... Now Ascot have opened up the Free Wifi to the paying public........ the negotiators have realised that turnover is likely to go through the floor 50% at first estimation.......... and they are lining up a meeting with Racecourse Management to ask for a 50% reduction in the badge fee going forward........... that;s dynamic negotiation for you
By:
Racecourse Regular
When: 10 Sep 13 10:14
Laugh
By:
wasnot
When: 10 Sep 13 10:18
I don't have any objection to punters having the freedom of choice whilst on course as to who they bet with.  If they choose exchanges over us, so be it.  I will however take exception to punters stood in front of the joint using our prices to then lay horses on here.  Once the legislation is through regarding point of consumption taxation, to my mind anyone laying horses whilst on the racecourse should have to buy a betting badge from the racecourse.
By:
factmachine
When: 10 Sep 13 10:22
RR,THE FACE OF BUSINESS HAS CHANGED AND NOT FOR THE BETTER,WE ARE IN A INDUSTRY WERE U COULD GET MORE ON AS A PUNTER 30 YEARS AGO,THE WHOLE JOB IS BEING RUN BY PEOPLE WHO TO PUT IT SIMPLY DO NOT WANT TO TAKE ANY RISK WHATSOEVER,AND HAVE NO PROBLEM DRIVING PEOPLE AWAY FROM THE GAME,THEN HAVE THE AUDACITY TO COMPLAIN THAT FOOTFALL,TURNOVER,SLIPAGE,IS ALL DOWN,U COULDNT WRITE IT.
By:
Racecourse Regular
When: 10 Sep 13 10:22
Wassy I don't disagree.... however that would never come to light in a million years..... as we are all aware the internet must handle an enormous number of financial transactions on a daily basis be it banking or whatever...... a bet struck at the racecourse is purely another financial transaction is it not which unfortunately is also being replaced by technology and will continue to be so unless there is a clear differential in offering........   

I don't think the suggestion is that exchanges are topped massively just a small amount to make that clear differentiation in the offering and hopefully extend the longevity of Racecourse Bookmakers
By:
adge
When: 10 Sep 13 10:23
yes foxy , that would also get bookmakers together .
the two lots I have for sale now I would rather put in a live auction
By:
wasnot
When: 10 Sep 13 10:25
But that happens already RR.  If you walk behind the joints there is flashing red on virtually every one.  I understand that my suggestion is unlikely but as a revenue raiser the racecourses may run with it anyway.  They love making a few extra £s.
By:
Racecourse Regular
When: 10 Sep 13 10:26
Fact - Spot on again........ far too easy for far too long is a phrase that springs to mind......... as you say those days long gone......... every other high street business that failed to adapt is no longer ......... HMV, e.t.c 

Look at the business's now that are thriving..... 99p World, Poundland e.t.c........ it's all small margin stuff...... the world in which we live I am afraid
By:
factmachine
When: 10 Sep 13 10:29
ALTHOUGH I HAD HEARD A RUMOUR THAT THE ILLUMINATI WERE POOLING THEIR RESOURCES AND GOING INTO COMPETITION WITH POUNDLAND,ITS GOING TO BE CALLED TENNERLANDLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh
By:
factmachine
When: 10 Sep 13 10:30
I THINK IVE JUST WET MYSELF AGAINPlain
By:
Racecourse Regular
When: 10 Sep 13 10:30
Wassy but the Racecourse will be getting far more £'s from striking the deal with the betting exchange to allow it to advertise on the Racecourse homepage which would be the first thing you would see when you log into their network...........

I think on that basis it would then be a bit unfair to adopt what you are saying as it would be with the racecourses's blessing.......

Healthy competition surely no different to the fish & chip man and the seafood stall round the back of the stand........  this is the future Wassy and any negotiators should have had the foresight to put a contingency in place or some caveat to say that when those terms were agreed it was on the basis that Racecourse Bookmakers would be the preferred betting partners/ only choice of the public
By:
factmachine
When: 10 Sep 13 10:31
AND WHEN U TRY TO BUY SOMETHING THEY SAY"ITS GONE"
By:
Racecourse Regular
When: 10 Sep 13 10:31
LaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh
By:
Racecourse Regular
When: 10 Sep 13 10:32
Not a bad idea Fact......... U would know where you stood then......... no need to ask for anymore....... Just the standard tenner
By:
factmachine
When: 10 Sep 13 10:33
RR,WISE WORDS AS USUALLove
By:
Racecourse Regular
When: 10 Sep 13 10:34
No that wouldn't be able to say it's gone........ this is stack it high small margin stuff....... the shop never runs dry....... that is just bad business...... and makes you look very bad in front of your customers
By:
The Good Firm
When: 10 Sep 13 10:39
never thought I would hear Geoff Banks hide behind the old "arbers" b0llox.

There is no money up to arb anymore GB, by all means limit and close people, but hiding behind the ARB word is total cobblers.
By:
factmachine
When: 10 Sep 13 10:39
RR,ARE U ATTENDING THE NORTHERN BPA ON SUNDAY???????
By:
adge
When: 10 Sep 13 10:43
around 120 expected , so get there early and get to the front
By:
Racecourse Regular
When: 10 Sep 13 10:44
No Fact... Ill leave you to try and make some progress in forging collective views of the majority whilst taking account of external factors that threaten everybody's trade in the 21st century......   Iv'e got every faith in you....... if you need a vote you know where I am
By:
factmachine
When: 10 Sep 13 10:45
ADGE I WAS HOPING TO BE SAT NEXT TO ULove
By:
factmachine
When: 10 Sep 13 10:46
RRLaughLaughLaughLaugh
By:
adge
When: 10 Sep 13 10:47
you could be next year , fact
By:
foxy
When: 10 Sep 13 11:42
was I included in the 120 adge ? hoped more would show interest in a live auction instead of going over the same ground on a daily basis.
By:
frog2
When: 10 Sep 13 11:50
Sportsadvisor

I don't declare my margin, nor show any remorse for running a book to make money, just like any other business. I take pride in the quality of service given to my customers- never refusing a wager

Sportsadvisor

Frog, Do I limit stakes? Yes to people we identify as arbers or traders. We can't make money from them. It's an exercise in work.

Sportsadvisor

homefortea - i run a business for profit. That's why it's called business. Professional punters - as opposed to the amateur breed don't put bacon with my eggs.

Geoff can we have some clarification on this.

you state you 'never refuse a wager'

then you state you limit stakes of arbers and traders.

then you ramble on about bacon and eggs.

Do you limit the wagers of winning punters who bet outright on horses. No trading no arbing - just punters????

Or are you a professional bookmakers who backs his ability to price and balance his book offering the same terms to all punters (bar traders and arbers)??
Page 3 of 4  •  Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com