Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
HAPPYHARRY
07 Aug 13 12:45
| Topic/replies: 394 | Blogger: HAPPYHARRY's blog
bobby hill
joe douglas sons
nicky truette
george cambell
captain george
lance tait
alan hendry.
alan hendry
Pause Switch to Standard View are these bookmakers and characters...
Show More
Report HAPPYHARRY August 7, 2013 11:48 AM BST
harold who worked for bob kett.
Report HAPPYHARRY August 7, 2013 11:52 AM BST
that big scotch bookie who bet under marsters
Report HAPPYHARRY August 7, 2013 6:14 PM BST
does anybody know anything.
Report a bitofinterest August 7, 2013 6:41 PM BST
stephen hawking knows a thing or two
Report Shalimah August 7, 2013 9:07 PM BST
Captain George retired to Spain, been quite ill and required a fair few operations over the last few years but seems to be over it. Comes back to Harrogate once in a while.

I think Harold who worked for Ketts was Moe Lee`s brother last saw him about 5 years ago, hope he is still going strong, nice bloke.
Report GAZO August 7, 2013 9:14 PM BST
what happened to micky fletcher,remember him mostly at monmore green dogs and used to see him at some race meetings
Report chavman August 7, 2013 9:17 PM BST
alan hendry could have schizophrenia
Report SlippyBlue August 7, 2013 9:17 PM BST
Last time I saw The Asparagus Kid was at Worcester, that was years ago though. My thread on the greyhound forum has got a lot of good stories about bookies at the cherries.
Report HAPPYHARRY August 7, 2013 9:17 PM BST
shalimar harold will be a good age.
Report the rabbit August 7, 2013 10:48 PM BST
Not sure about bobby .george Campbell still about .
Report intheknow August 7, 2013 11:20 PM BST
Master Bookmakers aka Masters aka John Jeromeson aka many other titles is still around but not too much these days. A great lad & fun socially but as for bookmaking, lets just say the figures just didn't stack up....
Report Shalimah August 8, 2013 8:50 AM BST
HAPPY. I would guess he would be in his late eighties if he is still with us. Thinking about it, could just as easily been 10 years or more since I last saw him.
Report HAPPYHARRY August 8, 2013 12:20 PM BST
rabbit  is campbell still bookmaking.
Report ronnie rails August 8, 2013 12:49 PM BST
after Joe Douglas's pitches were sold Tommy one of the sons worked for John Joyce on course, Joes other son (sorry don't know his name)bought a mobile shop going round the villages in Cumbria.
Report porfavor August 8, 2013 5:00 PM BST
Tommy Douglas died about 20 years ago, perhaps more. The two brothers who worked with their dad were Joe and Harrison ( also Joe snr's real name). The dad bought a pub and lived to well into his 90's.They sold their pitches 10 or so years ago. Joe jnr died about 5 or 6 years ago. Young Harrison set up a Garden Services business.I believe that he has just had a hip replacement. They had another brother who did not work on the racecourse, but I do not know him.

Captain George ( John Critchley ) retired to France. As has been said previously, he has been in poor health for several years and I understand that he is moving back to England.

George Campbell is no longer bookmaking unless he goes Point to Pointing,or something similar. He built a first class training establishment but things did not go according to plan and I think that it folded.

Lance Tate was still going racing, mainly at Newcastle, until a few months ago when he had a fall. I understand that he is still recuperating. Lance must be in his late 80's.
Report know all August 8, 2013 5:09 PM BST
the George cambell guy was he the chocolate man remember he was trying to sell shares to a few books in the racing stables did they ever get built
Report porfavor August 8, 2013 5:18 PM BST
George Campbell had/has a Cumbrian based  business supplying water and soft drinks, so he could also have supplied sweets. He did indeed try to sell shares to fellow bookmakers but I don't think that he got any takers. As I posted above, they were built and he got a trainer installed, but I don't think that things worked out very well and they split.
Report know all August 8, 2013 6:11 PM BST
George was a nice bloke but bookmaking probably didn't seem his game I remember ev 11/10 in a 2 horse race, he tried without the fav and the shrewd faces used to take a few quid off him and he would take a bet sad loss
Report HAPPYHARRY August 8, 2013 7:11 PM BST
is that dodgy dennis from carlisle still about.
Report patsyone August 8, 2013 9:44 PM BST
Think u must be wrong Ronnie Rails
John Joyce not around when pitch sales began
Report patsyone August 8, 2013 9:47 PM BST
Slippy talking to Fletcher aka the asparagus kid at Cheltenham this year
Report patsyone August 8, 2013 9:51 PM BST
What about Kevin Gereghty of the TOM JAMES FIRM
retired to Scarbourogh
Report wolf j flywheel August 8, 2013 10:17 PM BST
evening lads bobby hill still with us and fit and well in whitley bay
alan hendry /harbottle is unfortunately no longer with us
the remarkable steven little was spotted arbing at newcastle yesterday Excited
Report barstool August 8, 2013 10:31 PM BST
Doggie Dougie, Preston Dog track, put away for beating his wife up. Most horrible man I ever met.
Report porfavor August 8, 2013 10:55 PM BST
Kevin Geraghty, of the first class Tom James firm- who employed more staff than Sainsbury's - didn't retire. He bought a Post Office in Scarborough which is in the process of being sold. He is a regular visitor to York, but sadly, his dad Raymond, who was a proper character in his own right, died a few years ago.
Report wee eck August 9, 2013 9:39 AM BST
I used to bet with Raymond's Dad when he came to Newmarket betting in the silver ring

he chalked up his prices the nicest I have ever seen, just like an artist would,  I

never saw him refuse to lay a bet, I am 80 so old Mr Geraghty would have been born  I

reckon 120 odd years ago.
Report johnnywilkinson August 9, 2013 9:46 AM BST
THE KID WAS AT YARMOUTH A FEW WEEKS BACK
Report wee eck August 9, 2013 9:56 AM BST
Just remembered there was a time when I think Kevin was the Rings biggest layer he would

seem to take and stand bets of huge proportions he must have got knocked for bundles, Kelso Jack

who came to the game as a supposed Gold miner or Diamond prospector but in reality was a man

of total straw must have bumped him for many many thousands. Those were the days, gone forever.
Report johnnywilkinson August 9, 2013 10:08 AM BST
THEY WERE ONE OF THEF IRST TO HAVE A PHONE ITLLD RING AND YOU COULD HEAR RAYMOND SAY YES YES YES 5000-2000 YA GOT THAT ....WED ALL AHVE OUR BITS ON AND LAY SHORTETR
Report the rabbit August 9, 2013 10:11 AM BST
Harry George Campbell isn't doing much now stables still there I believe. Carlisle Dennis is still about
Report the rabbit August 9, 2013 10:11 AM BST
Harry George Campbell isn't doing much now stables still there I believe. Carlisle Dennis is still about
Report HAPPYHARRY August 10, 2013 6:44 PM BST
what was norman heslop downfall alias the farmer.
Report ronnie rails August 10, 2013 7:02 PM BST
HAPPYHARRY

NORMAN HESLOP (THE FARMER) NOW THAT IS A NAME FROM THE PAST, USED TO SEE HIM MANY A TIME ON JIM GIBSONS JOINT, I THINK NORMAN MOVED TO TENERIFE FOR A FEW YEARS BUT CAME BACK AND BOUGHT A NEWSAGENTS IN THE WHITLEY BAY AREA.

NORMANS DOWNFALL WAS LAYING ONE TO MICHAEL GARRETTY ANTEPOST FOR THE AYR GOLD CUP AT A BIG PRICE, HE KEPT THE BET AND DIDNT EDGE IT BUT UNFORTUNATLEY THE HORSE WON.

SORRY FOR THE CAPS JUST GOT A WINDOWS 8 AND AM READY TO THROW IT THROUGH THE WINDOW!!!!
Report wee eck August 10, 2013 7:27 PM BST
ronnie the horse that stuffed him was named Polly's Brother and it was bought on my

recommendation out of a seller at Newcastle for £3000 it was trained originally by

B.W.Hills.
Report ronnie rails August 10, 2013 7:35 PM BST
wee eck

I was in the station hotel at Ayr on the night Polly's brother won the gold cup, the celebrations went on into the early hours, I think it was owned by Michael, a Leeds bookmaker Graham Llies and a guy we have been talking about lately who's driving taxis in Bournemouth.
Report wee eck August 10, 2013 7:56 PM BST
I recommended the horse to John Lindsey who a was big mate of Geraghty when it won the selling

race it was bought with a bit of the profit they made out of backing a virtual certainty at 3s,

the members of the syndicate if I remember correctly were Geraghty, Lindsey, Spencer and I

think Topper.
Report HAPPYHARRY August 10, 2013 8:30 PM BST
how much did they win
Report nobbybarnesranoverthewrongtrip August 11, 2013 12:09 PM BST
is the carlisle dennis you talk about the guy who did the tic tac?
Report liberator of the oppressed August 11, 2013 12:58 PM BST
What ever happened to Terry Mills who stood at Donnie Dogs? His dog there was called Quick Jump if memory serves me right.
Report ringlets August 11, 2013 3:29 PM BST
Terry passed away about 10 years ago,whilst on holiday abroad.He gave up the bookmaking game a few years before that.Terry liked a drink and a good time,and was always good company.
Report HAPPYHARRY August 11, 2013 5:26 PM BST
nobby denis was a swag man
Report hologon August 11, 2013 5:57 PM BST
Anyone remember small brummy bloke only backed odds on chances?
Report mentalbird August 11, 2013 6:05 PM BST
Billy Baugh, hologon?
Report HAPPYHARRY August 11, 2013 6:08 PM BST
did anyone know tommy dodds they had to be
at least 8 on for him to back them.
done his bollocks in one day to johnny ridley at
catterick when a 1/20 and a 1/33 chances got beat.
Report ribero1 August 11, 2013 6:10 PM BST
wee eck,fairly sure topper wasn't involved in pollys brother,other shareholsers were Dennis Mac and the Clarkson brothers.
Report ribero1 August 11, 2013 6:11 PM BST
Tommy Dods left it on with Ridley in the end.
Report ronnie rails August 11, 2013 6:27 PM BST
Ribero

just got in after another day at Joe's, surprised at tommy leaving it on I bet it was a few quid, regarding Polly's brother I didn't think topper had a share in it but did big graham have a share in it? see you a week on Wednesday.
Report wee eck August 11, 2013 7:10 PM BST
ribero, i was not certain about Topper the Clarkson bros were Kevin and Gus I am sure of that.

Happy the two at Catterick that night were trained by Barry Hills and he backed the 1st to win

Happy the two that got beat that night at Catterick were trained by Barry Hills

Tommy backed the 1st one two wine £4000 and he backed the 2nd two win what he had

lost on the 1st and finish up a £1000 to the good, he lost in total on the two in

excess of £30000.  I spoke to him after the 2nd had got turned over he did not seemed

too bothered he went into the owners and trainers bar for a drink.

ribero the Clarkson bros would be Kevin and Gus?

Report ronnie rails August 11, 2013 7:16 PM BST
wee eck

was one of them trained by Thompson jones, I think Jack Berry's beat it
Report wee eck August 11, 2013 7:21 PM BST
ronnie, you may be right but my recollection is that the both trained by Hills

I was also fairly certain that they were ridden by M Hills one thing I am sure

about is that they were both maidens and that all the bookies cleaned up.
Report wee eck August 11, 2013 7:24 PM BST
ronnie I will never forget betting 6s on one of Thompson Jones at

Ayr in a two horse race and Jack's horse beat it.Sad
Report ronnie rails August 11, 2013 7:25 PM BST
wee eck

I'm pretty sure one was owned by hamdan who's main trainer at the time was Thompson Jones, Hills was retained by hamdan.
Report wee eck August 11, 2013 7:30 PM BST
ronnie Michael was not but it is possible that both Michael and Richard were

at Catterick that night and each in turn rode a odds on loser.
Report ronnie rails August 11, 2013 7:34 PM BST
wee eck

nice to chat about the old days, never been to course over the border for years, I know Jim Tait is sadly no longer with us but are mark an hank still kicking about.
Report wee eck August 11, 2013 7:39 PM BST
ronnie Mark sadly died about 3 years ago and Hank now lives in Thailand.

I am now going to watch the golf having laid Stenson, Stricker, Westwood

and Scott my chances dont look too rosy, best of luck.
Report johnnywilkinson August 11, 2013 8:18 PM BST
DIDNT SULUK GET BEAT AT SOUTHWELL AT 14 ON ....I THINK PADDY RYAN WAS THE ONLY ONE THAT GOT IT BET ON THAT DAY .....SMILER WAS GUTTED LOLOLOL
Report johnnywilkinson August 11, 2013 8:19 PM BST
EEEE PADDY LAD
Report HAPPYHARRY August 11, 2013 8:56 PM BST
is pat ryan still betting
Report johnnywilkinson August 11, 2013 8:59 PM BST
NO HAROLD HE RETIRED ABOUT 2002 HIS FAMILY ..DEBBIE WORKS FOR SIS ...MARK FOR THE AGT ....PAULS SIS ...THERE ALL DOING OK ,I SEEM HIM NOW AND AGAIN HE DOES A BIT OF WORK FOR SOME OF THE OLD SCHOOL HASNT AGED A BIT
Report adge August 11, 2013 9:11 PM BST
the main decision to retire , harry , was because he and his wife just couldn't physically handle all the equipment. add to that the modern bookmaking wasn't pat's taste.
he does the odd few days for mark sawyer to keep in touch
Report HAPPYHARRY August 11, 2013 10:05 PM BST
does barry betts still bet alias the topper.
other bookies like the dolan brothers. jack hudson.
cliff bailey. charlsworhey.his bungalow on the edge of a cliff.
sonny.them two nice lads who bet on the aways at kelso forgot there names.
billy day.
Report alun2005 August 11, 2013 10:07 PM BST
What was the name of the Blackpool-based outfit that I used to see year after year at Chelters offering odds without the favourite?
Report hologon August 11, 2013 10:25 PM BST
gillibrand
Report HAPPYHARRY August 11, 2013 10:33 PM BST
does anybody know any tails about darkie armstrong.
Report adge August 11, 2013 11:20 PM BST
barry betts still going strong
both dolans still about but age is catching up [ terry still attends York ]
jack hudson and cliff bailey don't know
tony charlesworth still point to pointing
billy day haven't seen for a couple of years
Report ribero1 August 12, 2013 10:44 AM BST
wee eck,yes the clarkson brothers are kevin and gus.ronnie,yes graham liles did have a share.
Report alun2005 August 12, 2013 11:41 AM BST
Cheers Holgon.
Report OilyWragg August 12, 2013 12:05 PM BST
George Campbell put both his Sweet/Chocolate distribution business and the stables at Cumberland Lodge up for sale a couple of years ago. Elliot Cooper was his last trainer and was banned by the BHA in 2011 for 12 months for 'corrupt and fraudulent practice' regarding his horse Masafi. His cousin was also found guilty and banned for 10 years!!
Report timbuctooth August 12, 2013 4:16 PM BST
A friend of mine is wondering if anyone remembers 'Dodger', perhaps Dodger McCartney or something similar, last known of frequenting various tracks in the 60's, 70's and 80's?
Report johnnywilkinson August 12, 2013 4:41 PM BST
DECEASED
Report johnnywilkinson August 12, 2013 4:41 PM BST
PLAYING CARDS WITH ..."THE DOC" AND RANDALL AND HOPKIRK
Report timbuctooth August 12, 2013 4:50 PM BST
Thanks for the news.
Anyone got any anecdotes involving him, or Henry Oliver(senior)?
Report HAPPYHARRY August 14, 2013 10:47 AM BST
any stories about lesley sinton. alias jim gibson.
Report Meyer Lansky August 14, 2013 10:59 AM BST
Recall a story John Francome told about Dodger ... Had a decent bet on some favourite in a race at either Warwick or worcester can't remember which ... horse scrambled home by the skind of it's teeth ... Dodger shouting from the stands ... " Easy , hard held !! " Laugh
Report timbuctooth August 21, 2013 9:10 PM BST
Thanks Stevie.

Any more, anyone?
Report patsyone August 21, 2013 9:18 PM BST
Gillibrand good guy
Sadly contracted cancer of the throat,survived but latterly mysteriously took his own life
RIP JOHN
Report patsyone August 21, 2013 9:23 PM BST
Dodger
Been to Stratford put up the winner of the last a bumper @1/4 scrambled home
Sadly last time we saw him,killed in head on collision on way home
Incidentally who he didn't know wasn't worth knowing particularly jump racing
Report HAPPYHARRY September 12, 2013 6:31 PM BST
any  more
Report wolf j flywheel September 12, 2013 6:47 PM BST
billy day still with us ..tremendous footballer for the boro
bobby hill still with us also
alas alan henry/harbottle is no longer with us Excited
Report wolf j flywheel September 12, 2013 6:50 PM BST
lance tate aint been too well but hes still around

angus mcechnie is still around however has anybody seen/heard anything about matt steele ? jimmy and herman jones still with us as is billy read xxHappy
Report democrat September 12, 2013 6:55 PM BST
Good to see this thread resurrected - look forward to further contributions. My pal was on the phone to Sammy Nixon last night - he's keeping well if somewhat challenged as what to do with his time. The contrast to being out six days a week in the good old days to a life of passive retirement must be quite striking.
Report HAPPYHARRY September 12, 2013 8:05 PM BST
jimmy and herman were living in birtly and billy read had a lot of trouble with his eyes.
Report adge September 13, 2013 9:34 PM BST
sad to add to this thread the loss of TOM FREWITT , bet as TOM FRUIT [ LEICESTER ] who has died aged 84.
Report democrat September 14, 2013 2:03 PM BST
That is very sad news adge - a thoroughly nice man. Commiserations to Gary and family.
Report TheNorfolkMafia September 14, 2013 2:38 PM BST
Indeed!

R.I.P. Tom
Report G Hall August 27, 2020 7:16 PM BST
Ttt
Report clayfield1 August 27, 2020 7:39 PM BST
Anyone remember a Doncaster bookie Jack Warner, think his 2 sons worked for him.
Report dave d August 28, 2020 10:03 AM BST
in the seven years since this thread was started lots of the names mentioned above and indeed a few more characters have sadly passed away and are now bookmaking and laughing in the sky at what is currently a very sad and grave situation to our game CryCryShocked
Report adge August 28, 2020 5:07 PM BST
bertie king [ jack warner ] still going strong
Report dave d August 28, 2020 7:49 PM BST
good to know alan thanks ...Happy
Report clayfield1 August 28, 2020 8:05 PM BST
Thanks for that adge, was i right in saying his 2 sons worked for him.
Report adge August 28, 2020 9:10 PM BST
i believe so , clayfield 1 , but i didn't know the sons
Report Shalimah August 29, 2020 8:34 AM BST
7f Brian Chattaway Celebrating 50 Years At Ladbrokes Handicap (Class 2) (3yo+) 2.25 Goodwood today.
I bet he has a tale or two he could tell us about some of the characters from the ring.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com