Forums
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
max stirner
01 Jun 13 19:46
| Topic/replies: 958 | Blogger: max stirner's blog
After spending the last three hours in a darkened room in quiet contemplation with the soothing backdrop of my indoor, water themed Bonsoi garden, the blissful and calming ambient sounds of a Tony Scott Japanese collaboration easing my mind to a higher state of consciousness, I am now able to give a balanced pronouncement on the Derby debacle. JIM BOLGER, NEXT TIME USE A BLOODY PACEMAKER!!

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  Previous 1 | 2 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 46
By:
stewarts rise
When: 01 Jun 13 19:50
Would that have stopped his horse pulling his head off from the start?
By:
flyingbolt
When: 01 Jun 13 19:58
Laugh
By:
broadsword
When: 01 Jun 13 19:59
the july cup would be the perfect race
By:
redmal
When: 01 Jun 13 20:05
The horse was beaten very early, doesn't stay. Pace maker wouldn't have helped much. Go back to your Bonsai garden and chill out.
By:
Money Tree cost me thousands!!
When: 01 Jun 13 20:07
I'd of tucked it behind a couple and calmed it.
By:
11kv
When: 01 Jun 13 20:10
PMSL
By:
rmccarthy16
When: 01 Jun 13 20:16
you cant say it didnt stay because it pulled so hard. if ruler of the world pulled that hard it wouldnt of stayed either
By:
Money Tree cost me thousands!!
When: 01 Jun 13 20:26
Exactly. More effort settling it and bobs your uncle it wins.
By:
redmal
When: 01 Jun 13 20:32
Yes the horse pulled hard but it was beaten 3f out. That horse will never win a group one over a mile and half.
They'll keep it to a mile now, lesson learnt.
By:
San Quentin
When: 01 Jun 13 20:38
would and should have never took its place in the race only the owner wanted/needed it to run in the Derby.Enough said about him.
By:
max stirner
When: 01 Jun 13 20:40
It pulled hard because of the slow pace, great tactics by O'Brien, one of the best ways to beat a potential non stayer is to set slow pace for a horse use to going faster. Manning taken by surprise.
By:
durose13
When: 01 Jun 13 20:44
my first thoughts were 2002 Champion Hurdle.
By:
skygreenzone
When: 01 Jun 13 20:49
Now you all see why frankel never ran over 1m4f
By:
durose13
When: 01 Jun 13 20:56
Frankel would have won a Derby a Leger and a fekkin BOAT race imo given the chance
By:
max stirner
When: 01 Jun 13 21:04
In 2008 there was a decent pace, but Manning tried his best to mess up, ridden by Fallon or Moore, or even Hughes, it would have been a different story today, the reaction would have been intelligent and decisive.
By:
stringy
When: 01 Jun 13 21:46
Hughes rode like a man who was told not to upstage Moore or O'Brien.
By:
tipptop
When: 01 Jun 13 22:00
And how would Fallon Morre or Hughes have done to stop it pulling for its head? Horse doesnt stay no point in blaming Kevin Manning imo!
By:
yorkie1
When: 01 Jun 13 22:02
dunrose you muppet!LaughLaugh
By:
kincsem
When: 01 Jun 13 22:06
I see the Coronation Stakes was 1.3 seconds faster than the Derby, but that was won by a fully mature horse (6yo) carrying the same weight as early season 3yos.  And the race after the Derby, also over 12f, was 0.06 secs slower.
My thinking is Dawn Approach wanted to go miler pace, which is not a good idea when running up a 140 foot hill.  It wasn't a very slow pace race, the others were going 12f up a very steep hill pace, on slow ground.  He wasn't, and obviously hadn't been trained to as the American say "rate" (go a steady pace).
By:
durose13
When: 01 Jun 13 22:11
coronation stakes faster than a derby thats som fekkin filly
By:
durose13
When: 01 Jun 13 22:12
ignore that
By:
kincsem
When: 01 Jun 13 22:13
very sharp
*Coronation Cup
By:
max stirner
When: 01 Jun 13 22:20
Listen, when the early pace slowed up Manning had a decision to make, fight the horse or send him to the front where you can dictate the pace, he made that decision too late, he fought the horse then sent him to the front. Top jockeys make split-second decisions that win races.
By:
tipptop
When: 01 Jun 13 22:26
And do you think Joseph O Brien was going to let him dictate the pace? As soon as he did try to slow it down, Battle of Marengo kept pestering him. Horse doesn't stay simple as! No point clutching at straws!
By:
tipptop
When: 01 Jun 13 22:26
And do you think Joseph O Brien was going to let him dictate the pace? As soon as he did try to slow it down, Battle of Marengo kept pestering him. Horse doesn't stay simple as! No point clutching at straws!
By:
greekstooktheboats
When: 02 Jun 13 01:37
Magician was kept to a mile and the same should be done for Dawn Approach.We haven't hears the last of him.
By:
max stirner
When: 02 Jun 13 14:43
The point is he had a chance if he went to the front as soon as he started pulling, there was no chance of winning the way Manning rode the horse. This is a rational debrief of a surprisingly run Derby. So, a rational post-race judgement is that the events of yesterday confirm Manning is a very average jockey.
By:
Dayjur
When: 02 Jun 13 15:22
anyone who backed dawn approach should take a serious look at themselves their selection methodology.
By:
flyingbolt
When: 02 Jun 13 15:24
Perhaps you should have passed that gem on before the race,Dayjur.
By:
Dayjur
When: 02 Jun 13 15:32
perhaps i did
By:
flyingbolt
When: 02 Jun 13 15:37
perhaps you did.
By:
duffy
When: 02 Jun 13 15:48
Interesting theory that every top class miler running over 12f off a slow pace will no doubt pull his head off despite showing no signs of it to date , something new has been discovered, I'll look forward to seeing this "new approach" being adopted in future for all doubtful stayers.

Amazing how coolmore dismissed the notion of them setting a crawl and not testing DA's suspect stamina thus allowing him to win off a sprint, as pure madness, they are genius's alrightCrazy
By:
Dayjur
When: 02 Jun 13 15:52
anyway the point is the first reaction for anyone backing a loser is.."i backed the wrong horse"
By:
flyingbolt
When: 02 Jun 13 15:57
Well "i backed the wrong horse" would certainly be true if you've backed a loser.Confused
By:
sparrow
When: 02 Jun 13 15:58
If you didn't fancy Dawn Approach to stay then you must have laid it, Dayjur.
By:
flyingbolt
When: 02 Jun 13 15:59
Although the reaction of quite a few on here is usually "the jockey rode a bad race".Mischief
By:
duffy
When: 02 Jun 13 16:01
gene wilder in stir crazy would have had his hands full with that one yesterdayGrin
By:
Dayjur
no, i backed against it
By:
Dayjur
no, i backed against it
Page 1 of 2  •  Previous 1 | 2 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page