Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Kingsofleon
10 Jan 12 18:07
| Topic/replies: 10 | Blogger: Kingsofleon's blog
heard today Centaur racing gone into adminsitration.....cant see any news regarnig this...anyone know anymore
Pause Switch to Standard View centaur racing ADMINISTRATION !
Show More
Report Pocketnotebook January 11, 2012 5:51 PM GMT
If it's a ring fenced account then there should be a paper trail and clear indication of which people had access to that account. Let's hope the money is all there.
Report JASS January 11, 2012 6:02 PM GMT
Feel sorry for the people tangled up with these two, but apart from that best news ive had for years.
Report allerton January 11, 2012 6:24 PM GMT
from the informed sources on the subject of clients funds...
Report buzzer January 11, 2012 6:36 PM GMT
Apologies if this has been posted but I'm a lazy get who can't be bothered to read all the thread

I am writing to you to express my sincere apologies for the fact that Centaur Corporate Holdings Limited and its constituent companies , Centaur Global Limited, Centaur Academy and Centaur Swift Limited have applied for voluntary liquidation on 9 January 2012.

The reasons for our closure are;

· A failure to achieve necessary working capital

· Failure by Betfair to deliver on a contract signed with them in April 2011.

· Continuing losses due to the high operating costs of the Centaur Academy in the City of London.

· Defaults by brokers involved in placing client funds from Centaur Private Managed Accounts.

We have contacted the leading firm of Administrators Begbies Traynor Limited who we expect will deal with all outstanding claims from creditors including clients henceforward.

Centaur offices in London and Seahouses are now closed.

This is not an action we have taken lightly and Andrew and I have invested over £300,000 in personal monies trying to keep the business trading.

Yours Sincerely

Keith Sobey

Chairman

Centaur Corporate Holdings Limited
Report Roger Rover January 11, 2012 6:42 PM GMT
New company opening in the next 2 weeks
Report Pocketnotebook January 11, 2012 6:48 PM GMT
Roger rover? Run by whom?
Report mrcombustible January 11, 2012 6:51 PM GMT
We have contacted the leading firm of Administrators Begbies Traynor Limited who we expect will deal with all outstanding claims from creditors including clients

The above is bad news for Clients, doubt if they will get anything
Report Pocketnotebook January 11, 2012 6:52 PM GMT
Rumour that Sobey has cleared off to Barbados and left them to fend for theselves
Report Roger Rover January 11, 2012 7:13 PM GMT
They will re surface under anew guise with some other sname attached Keith Bombay
Report tip1uk January 11, 2012 7:14 PM GMT
Credit where it's due, He lasted longer than I thought he would with the hair brained schemes. Now it's feet up time at his villa in Teneriffe or his house in the lake district. Seems like he he had plenty of people over including Betfair if he managed to get hold of the client database

“We have a contract with Betfair, we’re the only company in the world that has that. They send their database to us to train, so we’re very proud of that,” says Sobey.

As for the the chances of anyone getting anything back, forget it. Met the guy on several occasions,very pleasent and affable but as for being a good judge as some have stated on here is laughable. As Roger Rover intimated, his boys will re surface soon and go back to basics with a tipping service.
Report Dr Gonzo January 11, 2012 7:19 PM GMT
Lack of any kind of positive message about client funds doesn't bode well i'm afraid.
Report Pocketnotebook January 11, 2012 7:26 PM GMT
Don't believe all you read as Betfair don't give their database to anyone and least of all them
Report newboy77 January 11, 2012 8:05 PM GMT
Keith Sobey, Managing Director, Centaur Holdings

He describes himself as competitive and stubborn and wishes he'd become an entrepreneur years ago. Karen Dent meets Keith Sobey, a former Audit Commission boss, expert gambler and managing director of sports investment and education company Centaur Holdings.
THE QUESTIONNAIRE

What car do you drive?
BMW X5

What’s your favourite restaurant?
Cinnamon Kitchen in London.

Who or what makes you laugh?
Peter Kay, Jethro

What’s your favourite book?
Historical fiction

What’s your favourite film?
Jerry Maguire

What was the last album you bought?
Kings of Leon

What’s your ideal job, other than your current one?
Film critic

If you had a talking parrot, what’s the first thing you’d teach it to say?
Come on, my son

What's your greatest fear?
Losing money for Centaur clients

What’s the best piece of business advice you have ever received?
Stick to your guns, believe in yourself above all others

Worst business advice?
Don’t move Centaur to the City

What’s your poison?
Campari and soda

What newspaper do you read, other than The Journal?
The Racing Post

How much was your first pay packet and what was it for?
£72 per month as a trainee accountant at Northumberland County Council in 1966

How do you keep fit?
Those days are gone

What’s your most irritating habit?
Picking my nose

What’s your biggest extravagance?
My wife

Which historical or fictional character do you most identify with/admire?
Marco Polo

And which four famous people would you most like to dine with?
John Francome, Peter Kay, Bette Midler, Andy Murray

How would you like to be remembered?
As a very successful entrepreneur

previous 1 2 3
Report Cheeeky pieces January 11, 2012 8:05 PM GMT
I was at Wolverhampton that day Sean. I was the big lad from Berwick with Mel.
Got the train to Larbert next day to watch Stenhousemuir v Berwick. We were 3-0 at half time so went to social club and got pissed.

Sadly I think it's 1.01 clients have done their money.
Report homefortea January 11, 2012 8:22 PM GMT
cheeky..Love Berwick.Tell us who has betting shops in the town so I can re-locate for a month or so ...
Report Cheeeky pieces January 11, 2012 8:37 PM GMT
Hills and Ladbrokes take a bet but need to change the guys regular that put on. Also Chisholms that let you win between £500 - £800 in a single bet.
Report homefortea January 11, 2012 9:09 PM GMT
Cheers..Love the North-East outside of the major population centres.Redcar is a fap...
Report sean rua January 11, 2012 9:39 PM GMT
You are a decent guy, Cheeky!

I got more than my pittance worth from the day, but joining these schemes isn't for me.
I have tried others before.

Some folk there seemed to be going in far too heavily, imo. I listened, but felt some clients didn't have their feet quite on the ground.
I told nobody that I was there for just 60 notes; some seemed to be locked into fairly expensive schemes involving ownership shares etc.

Like you, I doubt many will recoup their wonga. I'd also expect Keith to be long gone out of the UK.

To be frank, rather than expanding, I  thought they'd died the death years ago. In fact, I thought I saw them on those bankruptcy pages with company assets of about £10K.
Maybe, like Keith, I was just dreaming.Confused
Report brimardon1 January 12, 2012 1:36 AM GMT
its now official shame as i said before but it was always just waiting to happen.

Back in the early 2000s we had some amazing forecasts up 350/1 380/1 250/1 out of our top 2 just one of those things that happens and we started advertising this success a few months later up popped fantastic forecasts we knew it was not sustainable long term but no one told mr sobey.

We opened a office in Berkley square london about 2003 for live demonstrations and seminars. very busy we no longer had use for the office and no one was interested when online demos took over and we closed it in 2008.

In 2009 centaur moved into london.

We joined the betfair api to develop software it was great piece of kit but realised quickly that betfair were not giving what we had been promised.

We left betfair api in 2009 lot more to tell in the story but not the time or place.

What im getting at is sentaur seemed to ignore someone who was bigger than themselves and had already done what they were trying to do but then the market place had shifted and moved on and we just moved with it. They were trying to do what we had left behind.

If on line demonstrations had not arrived then we would still have a office in london doing demonstrations.

A bad decision by them in moving to london at the wrong time.

The business model was always doomed to failure.
Report rrscaughtboy January 12, 2012 1:45 AM GMT
Perhaps they should have taken notice of your failed business model................ie being exposed.

Alternatively they could have sent out "secret" fliers in Black and White instead of colour?
Report brimardon1 January 12, 2012 1:53 AM GMT
rsnaughtyboy
Strange that our business model we have more members than ever before.thats in 27 years thats older than you, we were going before you were born son.

why do you try to spoil a decent thread, we have a lot of history that makes for interesting reading for some.
start another thread if you want to start slating tipsters.
Report rrscaughtboy January 12, 2012 1:59 AM GMT
Please stop calling me son Brimardon,take a look at Anaglogs thread re HH Aga Khan.

When you have done that perhaps you may understand more than you appear to,alcohol is pickling the small brain you have.
Report brimardon1 January 12, 2012 2:14 AM GMT
ive started a new thread for you RRSCAUGHTBOY- GLENTOBY-HELLO -ALL THE FORUM TROLLS SLATE TIPSTERS HERE please go on that and stop spoiling a decent serious thread
Report rrscaughtboy January 12, 2012 2:23 AM GMT
I have answered brimardon,perhaps you may have the decency of a reply?
Report chelsea girl January 12, 2012 10:32 AM GMT
The thread was spoilt as soon as Brimadon appeared on it.

The thread subject has nothing to do with him.

Simply trying to seek attention for his rancid outfit.
Report AlainCharnier..Macau. January 12, 2012 10:44 AM GMT
Correct,chelsea girl.

Another leech.

If Brimardon was any good he would back his own judgment with his own cash,and not have to bumm money for his useless tips.

As for the likes of Dopey and Kevin Booth.

One was an accountant,the other a teacher,two professions that both require very high degrees of anally retentiveness and prudence,hardly the type of qualities needed to be a professional gambler.

They were OK at spamming and fabricating figures,but when it comes to fighting the PROPUNTING war against the bookies,a wimpish and deviant teacher and an equally anally retentive accountant are the last people you would want by your side in the trenches.

Good riddance to all of them,I say.
Report drever January 12, 2012 11:18 AM GMT
see todays racing post page 43 ,doesnt appear to be good riddance to one of the above mentioned.
Report AlainCharnier..Macau. January 12, 2012 11:27 AM GMT
LOL.The RP are in bed with the tipsters(even the sexually deviant ones).They would print any figures KB wanted without even proofing them,allegedly.

One could be forgiven for thinking that the RP were involved in a profit sharing scheme with these toerags.Laugh
Report Pocketnotebook January 12, 2012 12:48 PM GMT
Rumours are it is now official so we should find out the full details in due course
Report MLJR January 12, 2012 1:13 PM GMT
Whats official Pocketbook? That they have gone bust or that investors have also lost their cash?
Report Pocketnotebook January 12, 2012 1:35 PM GMT
Gone into administration today by all accounts. Have a friend who works there who is now redundant.
Report MLJR January 12, 2012 1:46 PM GMT
They went into liquidation Tues am, stopped trading and all offices shut down
Report Deltâ January 12, 2012 1:56 PM GMT
^ one of the Betfairs originals...
Report Pocketnotebook January 12, 2012 1:59 PM GMT
MLJR I think they sent the message Tues but actually went into admin today not that it makes much difference
Report Rollo Tomasi January 12, 2012 2:12 PM GMT
Anybody else get a picture in their mind of a vulture picking dead meat off a rotting corpse when reading Brimardon1's post?
Report AlainCharnier..Macau. January 12, 2012 2:19 PM GMT
Yes.
Report ososhot January 12, 2012 2:27 PM GMT
How on earth is this Brimardon character allowed to post continuous spam on here without having his account pulled? His I run the best tipping service in the world routine without much reference to the subject being discussed is a joke! I'm surprised he didn't offer a free trial for all ex centaur clients...all I would like to say is that I sincerely hope that whoever deposited cash to get managed , gets there money back as that isn't fair. Keith is an auditor and he will know that - he's got plenty of property dotted around and I sincerely hope that he sells some to ensure that the clients money gets returned. Please don't hide behind the auditors and expect clients who deposited money in good faith to pay for business mistakes that have been made.
Report howard January 12, 2012 4:08 PM GMT
Yes we dont want another Bernie.
Report miss.wales January 12, 2012 4:44 PM GMT
Allerton

Of course it is to be hoped that the administrators will find a ringfenced bank account, containing a balance equal to the full stated values of the funds. But the lack of comment on this issue from a raft of informed sources above doesnt seem entirely encouraging...

Spot on - and the term Defaulting Brokers has an ominous ring to it for those hoping to get their money back.

Loosely translated - they've got your money guys, honest.
Report MLJR January 12, 2012 5:03 PM GMT
Yes and Keith Sobey has apparently disappeared since last week
Report AlainCharnier..Macau. January 12, 2012 5:07 PM GMT
Is this thread still rumbling on ?

I'm sorry to sound harsh but I can't believe that there are people out there who actually think that they might get some money back from these guessers.

You are dealing with Con-men and bilkers,not the Charities Commission.
Report Rollo Tomasi January 12, 2012 5:25 PM GMT
Your wallet is as scared of the word "brokers" as your body is of "cancer".
Report newboy77 January 12, 2012 7:29 PM GMT
has Keith disappeared?
Report Pocketnotebook January 12, 2012 9:29 PM GMT
looks that way and rumurs circulating in the city about the dosh
Report newboy77 January 12, 2012 9:51 PM GMT
pocket--- do you have any solid info ---spoke to a guy today who has foolishly invested a lot of money he thought it was in an arbing service and Keith convinced him money was ring fenced guy is totally devastated and cant get any info
Report Pocketnotebook January 12, 2012 9:57 PM GMT
Getting snippets from a friend who worked there for many years but he is being very careful what he is saying and is also understandably upset as he is now out of work. He says he doesn't know about the money but that his phone has never stopped with people asking if the rumours are true and wishing him all the best for the future. I would imagine it will be announced soon who the administrators are and then we might find out more.
Report newboy77 January 12, 2012 10:15 PM GMT
CENTAUR GLOBAL LIMITED

inShare

Companies House status: Active

Company Information

Registration Date: 29/11/2005
Registration Number: 05639592
Type: Private Limited with share capital

Accounts filed on: 21/09/2011
For period to: 31/12/2010
Category: TotalExemptionFull

Registered Address

CENTAUR HOUSE, 168 MAIN STREET,
SEAHOUSES
NORTHUMBERLAND
NE68 7UA   
Net Worth : £-622,914

A company’s Net Worth is calculated as Shareholders Funds minus Intangible Assets. £-622,914 is from the accounts filed in 2010

Cash at Bank : £0

Cash at bank and 'in hand' is the bank balance for CENTAUR GLOBAL LIMITED at the end date of the period the accounts were for.

this was up to end of 2010 ---  really looks bad
Report sean rua January 12, 2012 10:23 PM GMT
Yes, as I said before, when I looked one time in the early Noughties, they had only about ten grand showing in their account, it appeared.

I thought they'd vanished years ago, say about the time when those "Fantastic Forecast" ads ceased in the RP.

I was wrong. Some folk have been caught, imo.
Report Savetheherd January 12, 2012 11:48 PM GMT
They were advertising a 40% per annum return. Can people really be so gulliable as to think that level is either a) maintainable or b)achievable without taking huge risk with clients money. One of those too good to be true investor vehicles.
Report zilzal1 January 13, 2012 10:08 AM GMT
Things have certainly changed snce i sent a Postal Order to "Hawke of the Turf" for £2 in 1974 for his saturday selectionsLaugh

Seemed learning early in life was a cheap lessonPlain
Report Thin and Crispy January 13, 2012 12:08 PM GMT
I purchased a copy of Brimardon's winner finding software in 1992......of course it was crap but at £35 it was cheap crap.....whereas  today you'd pay a lot more for Brimardon's crap.
Report Dontchase January 13, 2012 7:27 PM GMT
Evening all,

Let's bring this back on track - if anyone is interested??

I am surprised there are not more posts on this issue from Centaur clients...? As a Centaur racing client I am keen to discuss. I have had a level experience (just about) in terms of I have made a steady profit from the managed account racing service (Newton fund) but I am now accepting it has been about wiped out by the loss of my bank I kept invested with Centaur. It wasn't huge money, so I guess I am less bruised...
Report MLJR January 13, 2012 9:26 PM GMT
I'd definitely like to see whether these guys have taken clients' funds and done a runner.
He was an amazing tipster and a decent bloke - still surprised that it looks as though he has committed a massive fraud. I also made some good money off them and luckily pulled my funds out last year as I needed them for the house
Report sugarfoot January 13, 2012 10:41 PM GMT
Think people are jumping the gun a bit here; it is a Voluntary Liquidation, so the company is still solvent and there isn't any reason to suggest that investors' money has disappeared.  the company isn't bust yet, but its likely that would have been the future, so its a normal step to pull the plug rather than go through protracted bouts of lay-offs and downsizing.
Report Kildimo. January 13, 2012 10:51 PM GMT
Is this the same Centaur that Betfair were inviting us (i went twice) to in Bishopsgate to become better 'pro' traders at there seminars?

Bald aussie guy, forget his name?
Young skinny asian guy, forget his name?
chubby guy, think he had a Ladbrokes connection, forget his name?
And i nice bloke called Ray?

Is it this lot?   ....served up food and drink and showed you how to 'trade'

Looked good but a smell of death was in the air in my opinion  ...£100K a pop?  No tar but good luck.
Report glentoby January 13, 2012 10:54 PM GMT
For once it seems like the forum has driven away a vulture,Brimardon has resorted to abuse and bluff since his last post on this thread.CoolCoolWink
Report Kildimo. January 14, 2012 9:35 PM GMT
Did anyone else go to one of their seminars and is it this firm that has gone?
Report Insanity Later January 14, 2012 10:05 PM GMT
Bald Aussie guy would be the 'Badger', (Tony Hargraves?) I assume. Used an exchange shop I frequented to conduct his training days for a while.

I've never been to a Centaur seminar, but went to a Betangel one once, unfortunately.
Report Kildimo. January 15, 2012 12:20 AM GMT
Yep that was him, good shout insanity.

I think he said he moved with his wife from Oz and settled in scotland.

Not a big player i think but deffo talked a good game!
Report rrscaughtboy January 15, 2012 12:28 AM GMT
Hi Kildimo,how goes the case?

Nice to see that Brimardon has not been back on the thread he tried to claim for his own.
Report Kildimo. January 15, 2012 12:32 AM GMT
Hello mate ...how do you know about that?
Report rrscaughtboy January 15, 2012 12:44 AM GMT
You told me about it and I offered to help if I could.Wink
Report Kildimo. January 15, 2012 12:49 AM GMT
Sorry mate i remener now when we were chatting with stephard?

Is goin well ta, remember i am sueing them, they repoerted me to the police, i'm on bail and they then made a counterclaim. Then, they have gone to the high court to try to obtain an injunction but as of yet can't find me to serve it!

Gonna run and run. just got allocation questionaires back and we are waiting on the judges directions.

The other, i'm getting re bailed sometime in March.

thanks for asking mate, i will keep you informed.

Soz for forgetting!!
Report rrscaughtboy January 15, 2012 12:58 AM GMT
No worries,as before if you have any questions on any points of law etc just pm them.No need for details other than any Q you have.
Report Kildimo. January 15, 2012 1:01 AM GMT
I will mate, Ta
Report rrscaughtboy January 15, 2012 1:06 AM GMT
Welcome Kildimo,same goes for anyone else,no promises other than if I can help I will,enough experience in law (criminal) to put most Solicitors to shame.
Report MLJR January 15, 2012 9:23 AM GMT
ft.com article just posted
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/20b14e06-3dc8-11e1-91f3-00144feabdc0.html#axzz1jW7VwuMz
Report newboy77 January 18, 2012 11:27 PM GMT
Has Racing Post not picked up on this story?
Report brimardon1 January 19, 2012 1:01 AM GMT
The company is licensed by the Gambling Commission, but is not regulated by the Financial Services Authority.

thought it was regulated by the fsa
Report Kildimo. January 19, 2012 10:45 AM GMT
Just noticed that they have a stand at next weeks betting and gaming show at Earls Court.
Report newboy77 January 26, 2012 5:19 PM GMT
creditors meeting this morning seems all clients funds gone--- between 1.5 and 2 million--- company has no assets   expensive lesson!!!!
Report Pocketnotebook January 26, 2012 8:26 PM GMT
gone where?
Report newboy77 January 26, 2012 8:40 PM GMT
it seems the clients funds in "ringfenced accounts" were transferred to other business accounts ---bottom line is there is no money left
Report AlainCharnier..Macau. January 26, 2012 10:05 PM GMT
"it seems the clients funds in "ringfenced accounts" were transferred to other business accounts ---bottom line is there is no money left"

1.01 landed.

Sounds like fraud to me.
Report Dontchase January 27, 2012 12:18 AM GMT
Fraud indeed.. And you can't hide forever...
Report AlainCharnier..Macau. January 27, 2012 9:27 AM GMT
To be fair,anyone out there who pays to attend a "PROPUNTING" course deserves to be bilked.

The only obvious clue missing from this blatant scam is that Centaur's office wasn't based in Lagos.
Report OMH_4848 January 27, 2012 10:39 AM GMT
how do these people persuade "punters" to part with £1.5 - £2 Million ? The mind boggles  Surprised
Report AlainCharnier..Macau. January 27, 2012 10:44 AM GMT
A flashy brochure and a few picyures of yachts and Aston Martins normally does the trick,Sir.
Report AlainCharnier..Macau. January 27, 2012 10:45 AM GMT
"pictures"
Report Dr Gonzo January 27, 2012 10:48 AM GMT
it seems the clients funds in "ringfenced accounts" were transferred to other business accounts

Someone is going to be enjoying a bit of time in clink then.
Report zilzal1 January 27, 2012 10:52 AM GMT
You forgot the Tarts Alain.....

Betting like a professhunal is bound to be a babe magnetPlain even if the so called man in question is bald wiff no teefLaugh
Report AlainCharnier..Macau. January 27, 2012 10:53 AM GMT
Laugh
Report OMH_4848 January 27, 2012 10:57 AM GMT
Laugh
Report MLJR January 30, 2012 12:56 PM GMT
Not much new news but the missing money seems to be official now
http://www.nebusiness.co.uk/business-news/latest-business-news/2012/01/30/investors-facing-1-6m-loss-after-centaur-collapses-61634-30224828/
Report Pocketnotebook January 30, 2012 3:20 PM GMT
http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-east-news/todays-news/2012/01/30/investors-facing-1-6m-loss-after-centaur-collapses-61634-30224828/

whats the prison sentence for fraud?
Report newboy77 January 31, 2012 4:59 PM GMT
maybe,if there is enough publicity, this will be a warning to gullible people to steer well clear of these tipsters/investors----old adage---if it seems too good to be true it probably is!!!
Report brimardon1 January 31, 2012 5:28 PM GMT
Do not tar everyone with the same brush we have been going 27 years, brimardon is run by full time professional gambler and started long before betfair came along.
Remember this centaur outfit used to be fantastic forecasts now you do not need to be the brain of britian to understand long term forecasts do not make money. when they realised that they changed the name to centaur i think those investors who lost the money would not know that.
Report newboy77 January 31, 2012 5:54 PM GMT
it is quite simple if you have an angle or are good at your job you do not need to tell anyone or charge people for tips--- my opinion is that you are all parasites--- preying on the innocent or gullible and for you to come on here and promote your tawdry exploitation is beneath contempt
Report brimardon1 January 31, 2012 6:22 PM GMT
The words of wisdom from someone who wins eh newsboy you have a opinion a warped mindless one but still... feel sorry for you
Report Anaglogs Daughter January 31, 2012 6:47 PM GMT
By Henry Abbott
ESPN.com
Archive

In 2004, Mark Cuban wrote a blog post about his plans to open a hedge fund that specialized in one thing: betting on sports.

His rationale was a good one: Many Wall Street investments are gambles by another name. And at least in sports there is real, accurate, up-to-the-minute public information available about every team. In business, it's almost routine for executives to mess with the numbers to their advantage. The playing field, in other words, is not level.

But in sports gambling, he argued, there is both good information and a bunch of emotional bettors who ignore it. They're on vacation in Vegas, and they enter the sportsbook expecting to lose.

That makes real opportunities for the smart guys.

Cuban eventually abandoned the idea, for various reasons.

But in 2010, a Gibraltar-based company gave it a whirl. They launched a sports betting fund, and got a lot of press in the process. The Centaur Galileo fund, which boasted statistical models that had been developed for five years, would be a pure statistical play.

But the blog Wager Minds says that, as of Monday, the Centaur Galileo fund appears to be out of business. A visit to the website includes a disclaimer, a logo, and a "page not found" error where the actual content of the site ought to be. What's unclear is if the business model is a tough one, or if this fund collapsed for its own reasons, as Wager Minds suggests may have happened.
Report howard February 1, 2012 4:38 PM GMT
According to the Journal Tony Cascarino was their football expert Laugh
Report zilzal1 February 1, 2012 4:49 PM GMT
Phucking hell!!!Laugh
Report Anaglogs Daughter February 1, 2012 10:47 PM GMT
GAMBLING authorities are believed to be probing a North East sports betting firm that collapsed owing investors £1.6m.

Seahouses-based Centaur Corporate Holdings and it’s subsidiaries called in liquidators a fortnight ago, leaving some people tens of thousands of pounds out of pocket.

Now angry creditors have called on fraud authorities to get to the bottom of where their money went and if it was legal.

A spokesman for the Financial Services Authority (FSA) said they had received inquiries about the collapse of Centaur but, after finding the firm was not covered by their regulations, were directing people to the Gambling Commission.

The Gambling Commission refused to comment on an individual case but said it had a range of sanctions, including heavy fines, if wrongdoing had taken place.

“Licence holders have legal obligations to their customers,” she said. “And there is a requirement on each operator’s licence to explain to customers whether, and if so how, they protect customers’ funds in the event of insolvency.”

The Serious Fraud Office also said they couldn’t comment on individual cases.

Centaur Global worked like a hedge fund with investors putting in money for analysts to try and make a return on, except instead of shares the company was betting on correctly predicting the results of sporting events.

Those analysts included, the company claimed, former staff from bookmakers such as William Hill, as well as former Republic of Ireland football star and Times columnist Tony Cascarino
Report Brian February 1, 2012 11:51 PM GMT
Best of luck to the Gambling Commission in their project to fine Centaur.
Report MLJR February 2, 2012 1:05 AM GMT
Need to find them before fining them - probably sunning it somewhere far away....
Report Insanity Later February 2, 2012 8:20 AM GMT
They probably just went out for a long lunch and left Badger to trade on his own for a couple of hours. Silly
Report Diamond_Joe_Quimby February 2, 2012 8:32 AM GMT
Tony cascading was the analyst???????  And they call these mugs investors
Report howard February 2, 2012 9:08 AM GMT
Thats quite something  the FSA directing people to the Gambling Commission. The GC then talk about Centaur as holding a ( bookies ? ) licence. Maybe they didnt hold any licence.
Report Pocketnotebook February 2, 2012 10:04 AM GMT
How can you fine them when they are in administration?
Report JUSTOUTINTIME February 27, 2012 1:18 PM GMT
I left last year due to dissatisfaction. I can only suggest that those owed substantial sums try to lift the corporate veil on the basis that if the Directors knowingly trade whilst insolvent they can be held personally liable. If clients funds have been used then this must surely suggest that they knew that there was an insolvency issue! Discuss this with your solicitors and try to get a class action.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com