Forums
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
These 160 comments are related to the topic:
Jockeys who will mostly be remembered for one ride

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 4 of 5  •  Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 160
By:
1st time poster
When: 01 Feb 19 16:32
reading the thread title, that's Bradley out been put up twice on different rides, LaughLaugh
By:
SteelCurtain
When: 01 Feb 19 16:36
frank arrowsmith on lochsong ayr gold cup
By:
blackbarn
When: 01 Feb 19 16:38
1830 - Take more water with it!

"The Duke of Albuquerque
Grey Sombrero
(Grand National)"
By:
fckewe
When: 01 Feb 19 16:41
Willie twiston davies - baby run at chelts, a shocking omission!
By:
Reynard
When: 01 Feb 19 16:57
Tom Queally - Not one ride , several rides .............. but the one horse Cool
By:
1st time poster
When: 01 Feb 19 16:59
queaky,frankel reminds me of Jason weaver,master bailys derby ,for a few fleeting seconds, Sad
By:
duffy
When: 01 Feb 19 17:02
Bradley good Morley street at liverpool
Bradley bad Man Mood
By:
penzance
When: 01 Feb 19 17:21
Jane Mangan
Oscar Delta
By:
onlooker
When: 01 Feb 19 17:56
The Belgian woman - on that screaming NON-Trier

Sacha Stappaerts the owner,trainer & jockey of Eastern Warrior has been banned from racing for 5 years and fined 10,000 for this ride.The horse has been banned for 3 years.

Grey with Maroon sleeves, Cap ... Taking a pull, most of the way around - and strangling it up the straight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_acLrRkJ8U
By:
acey deucy
When: 01 Feb 19 18:13
LaughLaugh
By:
koikeeper
When: 01 Feb 19 18:24
Anthony knott on wise men say..
By:
sewter lives again
When: 01 Feb 19 18:49
dodona
carter
By:
the bloob
When: 01 Feb 19 19:05
the jockey on Zenyatta in her last race, the Breeders Cup Classic, I forget the name of the jockey, Mike Smith I think

an absolute shocker!
By:
acey deucy
When: 01 Feb 19 19:11
Would't be Mike Smith would it bloob? Plain
By:
GEORGE.B
When: 01 Feb 19 22:17
This has got to be one of the spookiest threads of all time given the thread title, cuz just under 4 hours after the thread had been started, would be a ride that would result in a jockey receiving one of the heftiest disqualifications ever to be dished out for a non-jigger, particularly as I think I'm right in saying there was no evidence of the connections having laid the horse.

The ride was referred to twice on this thread at the time, though doubt anyone expected the jock to receive the punishment he did a couple of months later, and some jocks might have got off with 14 days for failing to take all permissable measures, however, the BHA disqualified Jason Behan for 3 years for his ride on Casela Park.
By:
glentoby
When: 01 Feb 19 22:19
Frank Spencer............Sariska..........best hold up ride he ever gave a horse without getting there too late!!!Laugh
By:
gmt
When: 12 Feb 19 15:46
Move off 1977 Ebor - Jimmy Bleasdale
By:
DenzilPenberthy
When: 12 Feb 19 17:17
J Ben Hur Jerusalem?
Spencer on Hawk Wing always comes to mind,I blame him entirely for getting that horse a run in the derby which was painful viewing that wouldn't have happened had he won the Guineas and that shytehawk Ferguson wouldn't have mopped up all those easy mile G1's.
By:
Alices
When: 12 Feb 19 17:49
Duke of Alberquerqe wasn't on Grey Sombrero, it was Bill Shoemark, Kieren and Conor's grandad, the Duke was on Nereo
By:
blackbarn
When: 12 Feb 19 18:16
Alices - I knew that, it was 18.30 that didntCool   Posts on 1st Feb at 13.08 and 16.38 referWink
By:
EVILROYSLADE
When: 12 Feb 19 18:36
Luke Harvey, Country Member!
By:
Alices
When: 12 Feb 19 18:42
I only read 1830s post after I saw yours Blackbarn, apologies
By:
no-won-sun
When: 12 Feb 19 22:53
Just reading this thread, some of you mentioned George Mernagh, I remember him riding as an amateur on the point to point circuit before heading to England. He died about 5 years ago if memory serves.
As for Pat Leech, if I'm correct there were two Pat Leech's. One of them rode for Martin Pipe when he started training and won the Triumph Hurdle at Cheltenham 66/1. One of them may have spelt his name Leach but the guy who rode for Martin Pipe was not the fellow who rode for Noel Meade as far as I remember.
Hard to get info on Racing Post it only goes back so far and even at that I have come across jockeys and trainers who have namesakes and as a result their records are all contorted.
By:
blackbarn
When: 13 Feb 19 09:10
The jockey who rode Baron Blakeney in the Triumph was Paul Leach.  Jockeypedia is usually a good source for this kind of info but he is not mentioned (George hasn't got round to including everyone!!)  There is a John Leech on there who rode in the north of england and in Foinavons National.
By:
ribero1
When: 13 Feb 19 09:45
Ritchie Mclernon- Sunyhillboy.
By:
no-won-sun
When: 13 Feb 19 20:23
Well Paul Leach was the jockey who rode for Baron Blakeney for Martin Pipe and may have been his stable jock for a while in the early days. He is not to be confused with Pat "Shorty" leech who rode for Noel Meade mentioned above.
John(ny) Leech was a jockey I remember back in the '60's way before the other lads.
By:
blackbarn
When: 13 Feb 19 20:37
Glad to have been of assistanceWink
By:
glentoby
When: 13 Feb 19 21:03
Did anyone mention Dick Francis? If not why not the most famous of all.

Failing that here is one remembered for ONLY one race Dr Davey Jones,Ling 1996 formerly of the Monkees.

What about Ridley Lamb......Gold Cup 1987.......then a cold harbour sadly?  (The Thinker 9/1,unp fav Forgive N Forget)
By:
Deptford
When: 13 Feb 19 21:08
Brod Munro Wilson, The Drunken Duck
By:
Fashion Fever
When: 13 Feb 19 21:17
dig past at lingfield Davy Jones 1996
By:
glentoby
When: 13 Feb 19 21:30
Thats the one FF,remember sitting in a bar that day looking at the RP.My said "I wonder if that is Davey Jones the Monkee"  He remembered him being an apprentice,we had a bet but not until after the race did we realise it was he.

The Doctorate was honorary.
By:
N-east Correspondent
When: 13 Feb 19 22:22
Padraig Beggy  - Wings of Eagles surely the least celebrated derby winner in recent times
tmust have been a quiet plane ride back to ireland that night
By:
screaming from beneaththewaves
When: 13 Feb 19 22:45
JD Smith - Lakatoi at Beverley

Tony Charlton - Amantiss at Devon & Exeter
By:
themightymac
When: 14 Feb 19 01:36
The one that springs to my mind but surprisingly hasn`t been mentioned is:

Mr AJ WILSON - LITTLE OWL
By:
themightymac
When: 14 Feb 19 01:44
And another stonewaller must be:

Capt. Martin Beecher on Conrad (1839 Grand National)
By:
themightymac
When: 14 Feb 19 01:45
And the guy that rode Willie Wumpkins at Cheltenham but I can`t remember his name Crazy
By:
hunt lunt and cunningham
When: 14 Feb 19 07:54
That was Jim Wilson who rode him 3 times. Pat colville won on him in 1973
By:
sonofshinner
When: 14 Feb 19 08:16
Lady Godiva.
By:
the.mad.dog.man
When: 14 Feb 19 08:29
greville starkey