Forums

Horse Antepost

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
cryoftruth
14 May 22 22:38
| Topic/replies: 8,725 | Blogger: cryoftruth's blog
Astonishing rubbish, laughable drive.

Frankel 148
Baaeed 125

Frankel could have given Baaeed 10 lbs and thrashed him 6 lengths.

Baaeed is an excellent top class horse.

But comparing him to Frankel is dim witted and stupid and demeans both Frankel and Baaeed.

Why do people talk such complete tripe?
Pause Switch to Standard View Baeed heading in Frankel direction
Show More
Report Howellsy May 15, 2022 4:23 PM BST
Yes, a beating of the great Chindit by 5 lengths....
Report impossible123 May 15, 2022 7:13 PM BST
Indeed. Too premature, and I blame social media. Sir Cecil would probably smirk in his grave.
Report brain dead jockeys May 16, 2022 10:36 PM BST
well said cry of truth. palace pier would be the equivalent of exelebration........the former won more group 1's but they were soft ones. frankel went past exelebration like usain bolt would go past a pro footballer......baeed only beat PP  a head.........frankel would beat real world by 10-15 lengths.......remember what frankel did to ST N Abbey and Faarh also........please note the latter was never out of the 1st 2 and was beaten a neck only by nathaniel.......frankel beat Faarh by 10 lengths. it was an exercise canter........there will never be a horse as good as frankel. its impossible.
Report A_T May 17, 2022 8:16 AM BST
clearly not in Frankel's class yet - I think the suggestion was Baaeed would follow a Frankel-type 4yo campaign: Lockinge, Queen Anne, Sussex, Juddmonte, Champion Stakes.
This horse is brother to a group 12f winner - be a shame if like Frankel he's never tried at that distance.
Report clacton May 18, 2022 6:47 AM BST
Baaeed was rated 7lbs better than Real World before the Lockinge. He beat him 3 1/4L. That sounds about right to me. The Official handicapper left Baaeed on the same mark, 125, so he thinks he only did what he was expected to do. He did win with plenty in hand so he could be a fair bit better, but to say he is close to Frankel is nonsence.
Report cryoftruth May 18, 2022 2:16 PM BST
Latest Timeform ratings:

Baaeed 134
Frankel 147.

So that’s just under a stone. Mind you Baaeed should be respected as he looks sure to stay further and may well improve further.

But comparing him to Frankel, or to other true greats like The Brigadier, Mill Reef, Ribot, Shergar and of course Frankel is to actually disrespect him as he is a top class beautiful brute of a horse with superb action and apparently ideal temperament. Baaeed needs no silly comparisons like this.
Report cryoftruth May 18, 2022 2:27 PM BST
Always thought Ribot gets a bit overlooked in discussion of great flat horses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41C79yz8NMU

is footage of one of his efforts.

Amazing he went off at 9/1 against for his first Arc. Should have been 1/9 on!

Timeform summarise Ribot like this:

Three-year-old season (1955)
Ribot’s three-year-old season began in March with a win at Pisa, the only time he raced in Italy away from Milan. He then faced Gail again in the Premio Emanuele Filiberto, this time beating him by ten lengths, and had only one rival on his next start, before his first try over a mile and a half, in the Premio Besana in September, brought him another ten-length success. Ribot was therefore unbeaten in seven races at home when lining up as a largely unknown quantity in the 1955 Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe which was much his biggest test to date.
Sent off at 9/1 in a field of 23, Ribot ran out an easy three-length winner from the French three-year-old Beau Prince, winner of the previous season’s Grand Criterium. Back at Milan, Ribot rounded off the campaign with a 15-length win on heavy ground from the French horse Norman (winner of the two previous renewals) in the Gran Premio del Jockey Club, Italy’s own equivalent of the Arc. Ribot thus ended his three-year-old season with a rating of 133 but was to go on to even better things as a four-year-old.
Major races won                                       
Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe, Longchamp
Gran Premio del Jockey Club, Milan
Four-year-old season (1956)
Ribot won his first three races at Milan in 1956 by distances of four, 12 and eight lengths and on each occasion he was considered such a certainty that his backers merely had their stake-money refunded. There had been some doubt about whether his trip to Ascot in the summer would be for the Gold Cup or the King George, and even though the latter race was chosen, he was given a staying race in preparation, the Gran Premio di Milano over 15 furlongs. This also meant taking on some of the best Italian three-year-olds and, at 10/1-on this time, Ribot’s backers at least got some sort of return. Ribot made all to win by an official distance of eight lengths, though that was considered a conservative estimate.
"Ribot had so far done everything asked of him, and done it in exemplary style," said Racehorses of 1956. "His stamina was established beyond dispute, he had demonstrated that he had at his command a fine turn of speed, he was at the peak of his fitness and there was unlimited confidence behind him. All going apparently came alike to him, and there was every justification for his starting at a shorter price than the odds of 5/2-on which were eventually returned about him." Even so, the previous season’s Arc remained the one piece of evidence that he had the ability to deal with his King George rivals.
Racehorses described the King George as "the hardest race of Ribot’s career". Looking ill at ease on the very sticky ground and needing to be pushed along from some way out, Ribot appeared to have a race on his hands when challenged in the straight by the Queen’s horse High Veldt. "Battle in earnest now began between Ribot and High Veldt, and enthusiasm mounted to a crescendo when it was seen that there was a possibility of a royal victory. Once Ribot reached better going in the last two furlongs, any such hopes evaporated. Lengthening his stride, he quickly wore down High Veldt, and as soon as he was in top gear, showed his true mettle by sprinting clear to pass the post an easy winner by five lengths."

Rather than being retired to stud straight away, Ribot was kept in training for another attempt at the Arc, taking in a nine-furlong contest back at Milan along the way. Ribot was sent off odds-on to become the fifth dual winner of the Arc and, in the first three throughout, was always going well. When asked to quicken clear, Ribot pulled away to win unchallenged by an official six lengths, though the photograph of the finish in Racehorses suggests that the actual margin was more like eight. In what was a stronger race than the year before and a very international one, Ribot was chased home by the Irish Derby winner Talgo, third was one of the top French three-year-olds Tanerko and fourth was the American colt Career Boy who had been beaten a neck in the Belmont Sta
Report Figgis June 13, 2022 12:59 PM BST
he only did what he was expected to do

Initially I thought Baaeed looked to have improved a bit in the Lockinge but on further analysis I would completely agree with that. For me, even though still running well, Real World was slightly below his very best last year. Whether that was due to him running a touch too fresh early or he's slightly regressing as a 5yo I don't know. No question that I underrated Baaeed going into last year's QE2. He's clearly shown he's a proper Gp1 horse, but now as a 4yo without the allowances I still don't have him any higher than the likes of Palace Pier as an older horse.

Possibly he can take another step forward tomorrow but comparisons with Frankel are, as COT says, drivel. Regardless of that, he is obviously a standout in the Queen Anne and will win if running to his best, as on past records it's extremely unlikely any of the others could make the jump to his best form. For anyone considering backing him at 1/5 I wonder what they think his true chance is? In my view it's a question of him running to his best level or not rather than an interpretation of form chance. In that situation I would find it impossible to differentiate between, say, a 1/8 shot and a 1/5, but just because I can't doesn't mean there aren't other punters who can. Personally I prefer to see a 4yo prove it's improved from the previous season anyway if I'm going to take a short price. As I reckon once a horse stops improving from season to season there's always the danger of a regression coming. Of the short prices tomorrow I believe Coroebus offers far more value, as for me he has even more in hand of his nearest rivals.
Report .Marksman. June 13, 2022 7:49 PM BST
Tomorrow looks like another Group 1 with a strong favourite against relatively weak opposition.  Almost a rerun of the Lockinge.
There seem to be more and more Group/Grade 1s on the flat and over jumps and this is diluting the achievements of the true greats of previous years or decades.  When the pattern was invented there should have been a limit on the number of Group races and Listed races run in Europe.  This should have been absolute and written in stone outside HQ in Newmarket.  It could no more be changed than the possible number of Bitcoins in circulation could.  But people in charge don't care about quality or lack of it (and the consequences):  That is why we have got inflation of jumps handicap ratings, A level Grade inflation and inflation.
Obviously, I think Baaeed will win easily, but beating the same horses again does not put him any closer to Frankel.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com