Forums

Horse Antepost

There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
These 49 comments are related to the topic:
Prince of Wales Royal Ascot

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Previous | 1 | 2 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 49
By:
impossible123
When: 21 Jun 17 18:07
I know this might be construed as aftertiming. I backed Highland Reel for the King George prior to this race, why?

I was so incensed by Mr Gosden's decision to run Jack Hobbs here because I'm beginning to treat his race nomination for his charges with a big pinch of salt lately for instance last season with So Mi Dar before the Epsom Derby eg unfortunate timing for her pulled-muscle but the Irish Oaks is on her agenda - missed that, and much more; Brigadier Gerard and then the Coronation Cup - a last minute news she was not well and would not be back until the autumn.

Commiseration to those on Laugh Aloud after her scintillating victory in a Gp 3 race. But thank goodness I was not convinced, and stuck with Qemah for the Duke Of Cambridge Stakes instead.
By:
twonky
When: 21 Jun 17 21:27
Personally thought Decorated Knight was given a poor ride around the outside the whole way, but fair play to him staying on...superb ride by Moore, always well placed and stamina kicked in, but he must be avoided if going for either the eclipse or KG.
By:
brigust1
When: 21 Jun 17 21:29
I think JH is better than this. He pulled hard during the race and was always in the wrong place considering how it was run. They quickened entering the home straight and that found him out and he certainly was not persevered with. If you stop the race at the furlong marker they are in two rows of four that show's how the race lacked strong early pace. As this was his first race since Meydan I think the 16s for the Eclipse is too big so with my money probably lost on Churchill I couldn't resist. And the ground will probably not be as lively.
By:
twonky
When: 21 Jun 17 21:44
Personally, I don't get this love in with Jack Hobbs..it seems to me that sheikh mo decided he'd run today and not Saturday, again for breeding purposes and still trying to replace Dubai Millenium..the horse was injured at half last year, so maybe he got away with the softer ground in Meydan and was given a superior ride compared to the others.

It's very likely that he's being over rated on a line through Golden Horn. Maybe, I'm blinkered, but with the odd exception, over the past few years, I've been disappointed with the classic generation...as far as I can see this year, only Enable stands upto scrutiny for the KG and Arc, especially with the weight allowance.
By:
Figgis
When: 21 Jun 17 21:50
In my view twonky the problem arises due to wfa. I believe Jack Hobbs was a good 3yo but he would need to improve in line with the wfa he received a couple of years ago to also be a good older horse. None of his runs as a 4yo or 5yo suggest he's progressed since he was a 3yo. With Postponed and Highland Reel not really turning up in Meydan he only needed to run to his 3yo level.
By:
twonky
When: 21 Jun 17 22:07
Figgis, I don't contribute much to the forum, but I read a lot..some I agree with, some I don't, though, I do know that the wfa debate is something that you harp on a lot about and on the whole, I'd generally agree with. Unfortunately, imo, we've not had a real superstar, except for Frankel, whom, imo, would have dossed up in the July up, to compare different generations to, but, of this years classic crop, atm withstanding Enable, only Churchill has the class to do something in all aged group 1s.
By:
impossible123
When: 21 Jun 17 22:42
Of the poor show by Jack Hobbs who finished last.

Gosden: "Obviously, that trip on that ground is not his scene. A mile and a quarter here in the autumn on soft, no problem - but this just isn't his ground. He didn't let himself down on it. He came there with every chance in the straight."

I think most here could have told him that prior to the race. I'm still perplexed by the connections choice of race on this good to firm ground.
By:
Figgis
When: 21 Jun 17 23:06
The ground was fast when Jack Hobbs finished second in the Derby. Some will probably say that he doesn't act on it anymore since his injury but it was also good to firm when he finished third over 10f in last year's Champion Stakes which was a better performance than he put up today.
By:
brigust1
When: 21 Jun 17 23:41
It's not unusual for horses who have run on fast ground not to let themselves down on it next time or anytime in the future. The memory is there. And autumn good to firm isn't June good to firm. We are all guessing. He may have just not fancied it. That's the beauty of horse racing. Personally, I agree with JG about the going and about his ability at 10f so it will be interesting what his next move is.
By:
lingbleed
When: 22 Jun 17 00:23
I don't think people should forget that highland reel was passed out by both Ulysses and Decorated knight coming to the furlong pole, but Highland reel is just so tough and game, that he just went threw the pain barrier, i taught it was a brilliant performance from a horse that doesn't miss a gig, Yes he's no great, but he is very good, and i don't the other two can have any excuses.
Page 2 of 2  •  Previous | 1 | 2 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com