Forums

Horse Antepost

There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
These 77 comments are related to the topic:
St Leger - 2016

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Previous | 1 | 2 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 77
By:
ReaseHeath
When: 23 Aug 16 21:56
How is it an NH pedigree? He's a full brother to Highland Reel who has just won the King George and finished 2nd in the Juddmonte International.The dam sire is Danehill.

I agree he is more likely to be campaigned as 4yo than USAR but that's only gut feel rather than based on any hard evidence.Assuming USAR wins a Group 1 which looks something of a leap of faith at the moment.
By:
impossible123
When: 23 Aug 16 22:01
Until USAR has been officially withdrawn from this race I'll continue to have a premonition he could turn up here to gate crash Idaho's party - this could be his only chance to 'steal' a Gp1 for his cv. If so, there will be cries of 'foul-play' from Idaho backers, I'd strongly imagine.
By:
Fallen Angel
When: 24 Aug 16 08:28
The race looks very likely to cut up really badly again, I can see another 7 runner St leger. Still hopeful that AOB will run Sword Fighter and I might get a run for my small stakes, however it does look like he is somewhere below on the pecking order.
By:
impossible123
When: 24 Aug 16 17:43
USAR is officially out leaving Idaho for a clear run to the top prize, hopefully.
By:
impossible123
When: 24 Aug 16 21:18
AOB have left in Idaho, Housesofparliament, Sword Fighter, Unicorn, Pretty Perfect, Somehow, The Major General, Kellstorm, Triplicate and Cook Island but thankfully no USAR; I think AOB will have at least 3 runners, with one as pacemaker.
By:
liberator of the oppressed
When: 25 Aug 16 19:42
Exceptionally good money for something equivalent to a Group 3 slog. Won't take a lot of winning this year. What's happened to Leger winners of last 10 years? None of them you could call absolutely top class could you? Hopefully Idaho will chnage all that. Anything ran in the Leger subsequently gone hurdling?
By:
johnn
When: 25 Aug 16 20:03
Idaho has been a friend of mine but I have not backed him antepost for the St Leger. Despite the apparent weakness of the opposition, there have been many "good things" who have fallen in a hole during this last furlong. Hope he isn't one.
By:
impossible123
When: 25 Aug 16 21:18
Idaho ran an excellent race to win going away in the Voltigeur post a long break after two arduous derbies against Harzand. I think (hope) the withdrawals of USAR and Across The Stars have made the task of Idaho winning significantly easier; Unless Muntahaa or Sword Fighter runs well beyond the forms they have shown so far - Idaho has beaten the majority of the principal runners here - I believe this year's Leger is Idaho's to win, and it can only be just reward, if I may say so. I also hope he stays in training next year.
By:
unclepuncle
When: 26 Aug 16 06:45
On form he is a comlete shoo-in but having not played antepost I'll be hoping he gets beat.Devil
By:
impossible123
When: 26 Aug 16 08:42
unclepuncle

On the other hand I'm sweet on Idaho with antepost and trebles/acca big time at 6/1. I hope he wins as he deserves it, and is the best rated horse by a long way.
By:
neill d
When: 26 Aug 16 11:30
Conduit was clearly top-class. So was the thing of Varians that won it, went very well in an Arc, have been some shocking winners as well though I agree. It actually lessens the stallion value of a top horse so USAR was never going to run in it.

I wouldn't run Idaho in it as it will bury his second career when he wins.
By:
Graeme83
When: 26 Aug 16 11:58
Wouldn't rule out Idaho going St Leger then arc, just like Kingston Hill.
By:
Madhu
When: 26 Aug 16 12:35
The progeny of Galileo have a poor record in the St Leger considering the amount of runners the sire has had in the last 10 years. Sixties Icon was out of an Oaks winner. Idaho is certainly not a shoo-in on breeding stats for the St Leger. Food for thought.....?
By:
impossible123
When: 26 Aug 16 14:24
Kingston Hill finished 2nd in the 2014 Epsom Derby with Romsdal 3rd; in the St Leger (14f) the former was victorious and the latter 2nd reaffirming their Epsom Derby positions.

Idaho was 3rd and 2nd respectively in this year's Epsom and Irish Derby behind Harzand and USAR who are non-runners here with Wing Of Desire, one of the potential St Leger runners, 5 lengths behind Idaho. I understand there had been several Derby/progeny of Galileo runners not upholding their forms over this extra 2f race but Idaho had proven in the Voltigeur (12f) he'd be held up, quicken and outstay his field with the exception of Muntahaa and Sword Fighter who'd run over 14f and 16f respectively.

I think one must not confuse value with merit: on merit, Idaho is the rightful 'fav' with the best chance of winning unless Idaho does not see out 14f; Muntahaa and Sword Fighter need to improve significantly to win this - the rest probably running for place money, I'd envisage.
By:
dyno-layer
When: 02 Sep 16 10:58
I will be hoping to see an interesting supplemented runner who would be a very likely winner of this race.
By:
impossible123
When: 04 Sep 16 15:08
Unless USAR is supplemented - is that allowed? - after having been withdrawn from this race at the forfeit stage tomorrow I'm finding it difficult to find an alternative to Idaho who has been prepared for this race since the Irish Derby at the end of June. He is no world beater on present form but I think he's improved since the Epsom Derby if using Harzand and the Irish Derby as a guide. He might even get his preferred ground of good or good to soft - the current official going - come race day.
By:
impossible123
When: 04 Sep 16 18:19
Gosden has ruled out Wings Of Desire for the St Leger.
By:
Graeme83
When: 04 Sep 16 23:01
Impossible - i think it's allowed. Remember Wings of desire was taken out of derby entries, then supped for 75k.
By:
impossible123
When: 05 Sep 16 12:36
Yes, I forgot about Wings of Desire in the Epsom Derby.

No USAR, that is a relief for Idaho antepost backers.
By:
kincsem
When: 06 Sep 16 12:24
Idaho is 1.87 here.  If I had a bet on him I'd be laying off and taking the win now.
He has the form, but that form has to be produced on the day, and over a longer distance.
By:
johnn
When: 07 Sep 16 17:18
I have about six doubles running with Idaho the second part of them all.
I remember my old man had about 13 with another "certainty".
Shergar.
By:
unclepuncle
When: 09 Sep 16 13:13
Housesofparliament @ 10 for me - Colm O'Donoghue to win the race and keep it this time.Grin
By:
impossible123
When: 09 Sep 16 14:01
Despite with several doubles and trebles running on Idaho at 6/1 who would like a softer surface which I think he'll get tomorrow I'd fancy Sword Fighter on price and also he's done the distance and quite a decent horse too finishing behind Big Orange. But Idaho is fresh, and hopefully he'll win with a bit to spare.
By:
ReaseHeath
When: 09 Sep 16 15:25
I've no bet in the race and kinda feel like I'd have to manufacture a case to oppose the favourite so I may leave it now.

Sword Fighter is the one that appeals though - ground would have been plenty quick for him at Goodwood and the form of that race has just been franked in the Doncaster Cup by Sheikhzayedroad (where was my favourite horse in training Pallasator?).

It's more the impression of his battling win in Queen's Vase at Royal Ascot on testing ground which appeals to me - on that basis you'd have to also give a squeak to Harbour Law who was just behind him there (would be a great story if he won for such a small stable).They did n't go any great gallop in that race though although Sword Fighter did produce a decent time performance when he beat Landofhopeandglory in a Group 2 at the Curragh later in the month.

But Ballydoyle have had all season to get their 3yo pecking order sorted out since then.
By:
dunlaying
When: 10 Sep 16 09:51
If Idaho gets the trip he looks like a winner but if he does not the race is wide open.
The Tartan Spartan was six lengths adrift of Sword Fighter at Ascot. That was a step up on his first run and he might well improve again. Doncaster could suit him better than Ascot and , for tiny stakes , he is worth a bet. Name your price!
By:
Fallen Angel
When: 10 Sep 16 09:56
Idaho being backed if defeat is out of the question. People prepared to take pretty much any price about the horse now.
By:
impossible123
When: 10 Sep 16 11:52
The money for Idaho are not from Joe public but 'Coolmore' and their associates eg £10k at 4/5 could be easy money - only if he wins - may I add; AOB could have the 1st, 2nd and 3rd but in what order, betting market?
By:
FELTFAIR
When: 10 Sep 16 13:18
Backed Idaho win. Tried to find an alternative but couldn`t.
By:
Sandown
When: 10 Sep 16 13:52
I can't find anything wrong with the market here which is spot on chances I think. No value anywhere then. I will leave this race well alone but I hope Idaho gets his G1 and then goes on to the Arc.
By:
harry callaghan
When: 10 Sep 16 14:42
been gagging to get idaho have taken him on with the sword fighter
By:
FELTFAIR
When: 10 Sep 16 14:56
That`s racing.
By:
harry callaghan
When: 10 Sep 16 15:05
i have to say that was a cracking ride from baker...wd winners
By:
impossible123
When: 10 Sep 16 15:08
Congratulation, backers of Harbour Law!

Commiseration, backers of Idaho - it just was not to be, I'm afraid. Hey, next time.
By:
gpz6316
When: 10 Sep 16 16:12
well if they ran usar like i told em to they wouyld be winners now as would i !
By:
ZenMaster
When: 10 Sep 16 17:16
I remember my old man had about 13 with another "certainty".
[i]
Shergar[/i]

Like father, like son........very unlucky.
By:
A_T
When: 10 Sep 16 17:24
Winner did not look at all keen on going past horses but the jockey got him there -  won a shade cosily
By:
johnn
When: 10 Sep 16 18:50
Fortunately today's potential payout didn't compare to the Voltiguer one ZenMaster (see Great Voltiguer thread for proof of no after timing), but was pleased for today's connections, it was special for them. I had the chance to lay pre-race to guarantee a profit both ways, but chose not to. No complaints here.
By:
impossible123
When: 10 Sep 16 21:09
A bad day for short price favourites eg Idaho and Qemah - both unlucky in running - that is racing. But, thank goodness Awtaad to the rescue, otherwise a whitewash.
Page 2 of 2  •  Previous | 1 | 2 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com