Forums

Horse Antepost

There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
These 179 comments are related to the topic:
Betfair Hurdle - Newbury 13th Feb.

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 2 of 5  •  Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 179
By:
corporal
When: 26 Jan 16 18:26
Don't disagree - just my interpretation from the comments in the RP supplement. I may be wide of the mark.
By:
Fistfulofdollars
When: 27 Jan 16 13:12
I like John Constable at the price. Williams' horses tend to do better for their first run and looks a progressive profile with more to come.
By:
betilyerded
When: 27 Jan 16 16:18
Theres a pricewise RP tomorrow and Im guessing John Constable and Fou Et sage are the ones unless the bookies are second guessing.
By:
stevo1
When: 27 Jan 16 18:54
Backed JC fto drifted like barge, but ran decent race must have chance imo.
By:
ashleigh
When: 28 Jan 16 08:05
t s betfair hurdle 
dicosimo 25/1 h,c. 
mad jack mytton 33/1 l.
By:
IrisDeBalme
When: 31 Jan 16 21:51
Only 2 horses I have backed for this are

WAR SOUND
STERNRUBIN

I am hoping Sternrubin is not a flash in the pan... and form line with Jollys Cracked It is solid, but fact Johnson will ride WAR SOUND will be a tip in itself.

Not taking any chances - backed both!
By:
SOULDANCER
When: 01 Feb 16 06:32
Hoping Sternrubin is not a flash in the pan??.... He's won his last 3 races.
Fact Johnson will ride War Sound??..... I haven't heard this, and would be very surprised, must have been some thrill riding Sternrubin in Lanzarote.
   If he has chosen War Sound and no claimer on Sternrubin, it would be a tip...but maybe you've had a bit to drink before posting.
By:
roobuck
When: 01 Feb 16 11:09
Decent 5lbs claimer on Sternrubin wouldn't be a disaster at all imo
By:
IrisDeBalme
When: 01 Feb 16 19:09
Sternrubin - young horse who didn't have a win to his name last season - this season won (in my opinion) two weak races, but he went on to win the Ladbroke ... but in there he looked beaten at one stage and jockey threw horse over the line... If feel Jolly Cracked should have won that race rather than the dead heat - it was Johnson master class that won that race...

It Was a gutsy win though, but do feel had it his own way for a lot of the way... hence flash in the pan comment ... but betfair hurdle is much tougher than a Ladbroke... and the double is quite a challenge...

But having said that I have backed him and wouldn't put anyone off him either - still a good price...
By:
sintonian
When: 01 Feb 16 19:36
PFN's yard not in the greatest of form at the moment.
By:
sintonian
When: 01 Feb 16 19:40
1/26 in last 2 weeks
By:
roobuck
When: 01 Feb 16 20:13
But Iris I'd say that possibly Dickie nearly lost the race by doing too much too early. Horse wouldn't have got back up unless it had more to give
By:
SOULDANCER
When: 01 Feb 16 20:32
Iris, last seasons form against Lil Rockerfeller was pretty strong, the beating of John Constable this season shouldn't be underestimated and there's no Jolly's Cracked It this time.Great ride by Johnson last time, but he wasn't the one flying those hurdles.
  Feel Johnson has another trick up his sleeve so if you are right and he doesn't ride I'll be devasted, well, maybe not devastated, but not happy.
  Where did you hear he wasn't riding?
Up another 8lb, but War Sound would be up 15lb with Johnson riding, admittedly plenty of time has passed to improve to that mark but 280 days since last run. Wouldn't be surprised if Hobbs gets quoted, 'he's fit but will improve for the run'
By:
SOULDANCER
When: 02 Feb 16 13:37
Iris, ignore my previous post. Prattling on as an idiot, too much time on my hands.
By:
IrisDeBalme
When: 02 Feb 16 16:09
nothing wrong with your post - its a good point.

Question is: For War sound - is the Betfair hurdle a prep race for Champion Hurdle? If yes then RJ would ride... if not probably put a claimer on - vibes seem to suggest that the CH is the target... but you are right Hobbs will start giving more info in the next week.

But I have backed him on the basis he will win this and RJ will be on board - but I might be wrong
By:
SOULDANCER
When: 02 Feb 16 19:08
Having both bet Sternrubin, seemed stupid me quibling about how we got to same conclusion.
By:
sintonian
When: 06 Feb 16 12:41
3 winners in the last week for PFN and possibly more today...
By:
Paterson92
When: 08 Feb 16 00:09
John Constable is likely to go for the Betfair Hurdle at Newbury on February 13 as long as the ground is not heavy.

Trainer Evan Williams is keen for the five-year-old to take his chance in this valuable handicap since he ran such a good race on his only run of the season so far.

That came at the Berkshire track in Newbury when he was second to Sternrubin, who went on to dead-heat for first place in the Ladbroke at Ascot in December and could renew rivalry in the Betfair Hurdle.

"He's fantastic, and our aim is to go for the Betfair, ground dependent," said the Llancarfan handler.

"If the ground is heavy he won't go. If it is soft we will definitely look at it.

"Otherwise we will wait for the County Hurdle, and races like that, but we are very keen to go to Newbury.

"Everything's been grand. As soon as we saw the horse that beat him won the Ladbroke we thought we'd keep our powder dry and aim him at big handicaps and take our chances."

John Constable, owned by Ffos Las founder Dai Walters, is currently set to carry 10st 8lb in the Betfair and is generally available at around 16-1.
By:
betilyerded
When: 08 Feb 16 07:34
Looks like it could easily be heavy by Saturday.

Currently Soft (Heavy in places) with more rain due today, lighter on and off during week but a nasty looking front coming in Friday. Thankfully Sternrubin appears to go on all ground.

Was keeping an eye on Starchitect and Mad Jack Myton but both would prefer a sounder surface and will probably be of worth looking at Cheltenham, if it ever dries up.

Zarib could now come into consideration given more of a stamina test.
By:
flat16
When: 08 Feb 16 09:23
Convinced ground will be heavy saturday but believe even if you can find a confirmed runner/mudlark and overpriced your still better waiting for the day of the race
BOG/enhanced place terms and the multiple free bets etc ,ante post is now a casualty to competition .Zarib btw
By:
The Headmaster
When: 08 Feb 16 11:11
^^ If Blazer was confirmed and was still 20/1 I don't know think that would be my approach.

It'll be near fav on the day if it turns up.
By:
The Headmaster
When: 08 Feb 16 11:11
I don't think

or

I don't know if

Take your pick Plain
By:
SOULDANCER
When: 08 Feb 16 13:21
Johnson says, he imagines he'll ride Sternrubin, Gethin on War Sound and O'brien on Cheltenian but hasn't confirmed it with Hobbs yet.
    Sounds like Cheltenian runs, hope so, don't want the weights to go up.

Sporting Life reckons Blazer unlikely to make cut. Isn't it unlikely they're right.
By:
The Headmaster
When: 08 Feb 16 14:00
They're talking cr@p.

The horse is No.26 in the list.  There is a max of 24.  McManus has at least two corpses to remove to make sure the horse gets in, should he choose to.

My only worry is whether this meeting will be on.
By:
Arklearkle
When: 08 Feb 16 14:21
Headmaster a certainty to make the cut as WM also has a number which he can/will withdraw. Cancellation your only problem as he also will relish the ground. Depends on how he comes out of the race. You could nearly start spending it now .... I said nearly but a nice one and GL.
By:
Can't Catch Me
When: 08 Feb 16 14:32
Yes great shout Headmaster. Followed you in on this one and got the 33's.
By:
slowerthanjohn
When: 08 Feb 16 14:35
Like I said on your other thread I thought they'd save the horse for Cheltenham, looks like I was wrong but still wouldn't totally guarantee him taking place but for your sake hope I'm wrong. If they decided to go for it then I'd love to be in your position as he'd have a massive chance. A lot can still happen but like I said before GL THm
By:
The Headmaster
Ha!  Nearly Wink

Put it this way, I have spent a while today checking out various firms' ante-post rules and regs regarding postponing/rescheduling.  I do NOT want my money back!!!

FFS Newbury I don't care if it's the only race you run on Saturday please get this meeting on CryCryCry
By:
The Headmaster
(to Arklearkle)
By:
The Headmaster
When: 08 Feb 16 14:39
Cheers lads, btw - and glad you followed me in CCM Grin

Agree, stj, a lot can happen.  Pretty certain he's intended now though...I think he has around a stone in hand.  A bigger stumbling block will be the ferry over and the tack being raceable! Shocked
By:
The Headmaster
When: 08 Feb 16 14:40
'track'
By:
Ibrahima Sonko
When: 08 Feb 16 15:54
Heavy rain for most of today in Newbury
By:
The Headmaster
When: 08 Feb 16 16:35
Less of that please, IS.

31 go forward for Britain's richest handicap hurdle, the Betfair Hurdle, at Newbury on Saturday

Last year's runner-up Cheltenian (11st 12lb, Philip Hobbs, 20/1 with Betfair) tops the weights for the £155,000 Betfair Hurdle (3.35pm), Britain's richest handicap hurdle, which takes place over an extended two miles at Newbury on Betfair Super Saturday, February 13.

The 10-year-old is one of three entries going forward for the Somerset handler along with 6/1 chance War Sound (11st 7lb), who has not been seen out since landing the valuable Swinton Handicap Hurdle in May, and Sternrubin (11st 1lb, 12/1), successful in an intermediate handicap hurdle at Newbury in November before dead-heating in a Grade Three handicap hurdle at Ascot shortly before Christmas.

The 5/1 favourite with Betfair is the novice Modus (10st 12lb, Paul Nicholls). The six-year-old won over the course and distance on November 26 and was last seen out when third at Taunton on December 30.

Modus is owned by J P McManus, who has five entries remaining including Blazer (10st 4b, Willie Mullins, 6/1), a comfortable winner at Leopardstown on Saturday (February 6), and Waxies Dargle (11st 1lb, Noel Meade, 20/1), who was third in a Grade Three event at Cheltenham in November but has been disappointing twice since. The Jonjo O'Neill-trained duo of Matorico (10st 9lb, 25/1) and Champagne At Tara (10st 2lb, 25/1) complete the McManus-owned quintet.

Brian Ellison sent out Bothy to finish runner-up to Recession Proof in 2011 and is set to rely on Forest Bihan (10st 13lb, 16/1) this year.

An impressive winner on his final start in France, the five-year-old is yet to win in four outings over hurdles in Britain. The best of those efforts came when third to Aristo Du Plessis in a two-mile handicap at Ayr in October and last time out when just touched off under a big weight at Catterick on January 27.

Ellison, who trains in North Yorkshire, said today: "Forest Bihan is fine. He got there a bit too soon at Catterick and was probably a bit unlucky not to win.

"I'm not really concerned about dropping back in trip. Two miles, three furlongs around Catterick is similar to two miles at Newbury on testing ground and you need to stay to win these big handicaps.

"I think he is probably the best horse I have run in the Betfair Hurdle. He is a quality horse and whatever he does now he will be class next year. It has just taken him a while to settle into English racing and he didn't jump very well when we first got him. He was a bit high, but at Catterick he was brilliant."

There are nine Irish-trained entries remaining, eight of whom are trained by Willie Mullins. In addition to Blazer, Mullins' other leading hopes include Dicosimo (11st 9lb, 14/1), a Listed winner at Limerick over Christmas, and Kalkir (11st 6lb, 14/1), who was runner-up in a valuable handicap hurdle at Leopardstown last month.

Other contenders prominent in the market with Betfair include exciting novice Affaire D'Honneur (10st 5lb, Harry Whittington, 10/1) and John Constable (10st 12lb, Evan Williams, 10/1) who finished runner-up to Sternrubin over the course and distance in November.

A maximum of 24 runners can line up in the race over two miles and 69 yards which is due off at 3.35pm on Saturday.

Betfair spokesman Barry Orr commented today: "Modus and War Sound head the market but Saturday's Leopardstown winner, Blazer, is lurking towards the bottom of the weights and should he get in, which he should do as he is number 26 on this list, I suspect he will go off favourite.

"To reflect the competitiveness of the race, we are paying five places to each way ante-post punters."

The fabulous seven-race card on Betfair Super Saturday at Newbury runs from 1.20pm through to 4.45pm. Entries for both the £50,000 Grade Two Betfair Denman Chase (2.25pm) and the £50,000 Grade Two Betfair Exchange Chase (3.00pm) have been re-opened until 11.00am tomorrow.

The going at Newbury is currently Heavy, Soft in places.

Betfair Hurdle, Betfair bet: 5/1 Modus; 6/1 Blazer, War Sound; 10/1 Affaire D'Honneur, John Constable; 12/1 Sternrubin; 14/1 Dicosimo, Kalkir; 16/1 Forest Bihan, Mad Jack Mytton, Starchitect; 20/1 Agrapart, Buiseness Sivola, Cheltenian, Petite Parisienne, Waxies Dargle, Whiteout, Winner Massagot, Zarib; 25/1 Champagne At Tara, Flying Angel, Ivan Grozny, Matorico, Noble Inn, Qewy;  33/1 Baby King, Fou Et Sage, Galizzi, Montbazon, Three Kingdoms; 50/1 Chieftains Choice
EW Terms: 1/4 Odds | 5 Places

The Betfair Hurdle
Grade 3, £155,000 Total Prize Fund. 3.35pm, Saturday, February 13, 2016. For four-year-olds and upwards, two miles and half a furlong (2m 69yds). Penalties: after January 17, a winner of a hurdle 5lb, a winner of two hurdles 8lb, no penalty to increase a horse's weight above 11st 12lb. Entries closed January 12, entries revealed January 13 (75 entries), weights revealed January 20. Scratchings deadline January 26 (51 remained), five-day confirmation stage February 8 (31 confirmations), final declaration stage 10.00am, February 11.

CHELTENIAN (FR)    10    11-12    Roger Brookhouse    Philip Hobbs 
DICOSIMO (FR)    5    11-09    Susannah Ricci    Willie Mullins IRE
WAR SOUND    7    11-07    The Englands and Heywoods    Philip Hobbs 
KALKIR (FR)    5    11-06    Susannah Ricci    Willie Mullins IRE
IVAN GROZNY(FR)    6    11-04    Andrea & Graham Wylie    Willie Mullins IRE
PETITE PARISIENNE(FR)    5    11-03    Gigginstown House Stud    Willie Mullins IRE
QEWY (IRE)    6    11-03    Bloomfields    John Ferguson 
FOU ET SAGE (FR)    5    11-02    Andrew Brooks    Dan Skelton 
BUISENESS SIVOLA (FR)    5    11-01    Simon Munir/Isaac Souede    Willie Mullins IRE
STERNRUBIN (GER)    5    11-01    Terry Warner    Philip Hobbs 
WAXIES DARGLE    7    11-01    J P McManus    Noel Meade IRE 
THREE KINGDOMS (IRE)    7    11-00    Bloomfields    John Ferguson 
WHITEOUT (GER)    5    11-00    David Lawlor    Willie Mullins IRE
MAD JACK MYTTON (IRE)    6    10-13    J C & S R Hitchins    Jonjo O'Neill 
FOREST BIHAN (FR)    5    10-13    P J Martin    Brian Ellison 
MONTBAZON (FR)    9    10-13    David Sewell    Alan King 
JOHN CONSTABLE (IRE)    5    10-12    Walters Plant Hire Ltd    Evan Williams 
MODUS    6    10-12    J P McManus    Paul Nicholls 
NOBLE INN (FR)    6    10-11    M J Mulvaney    Willie Mullins IRE
AGRAPART (FR)    5    10-10    The Gascoigne Brookes Partnership III    Nick Williams 
MATORICO (IRE)    5    10-09    John P McManus    Jonjo O'Neill 
STARCHITECT (IRE)    5    10-08    Paul & Clare Rooney    David Pipe 
ZARIB (IRE)    5    10-07    Notalotterry    Dan Skelton 
AFFAIRE D'HONNEUR (FR)    5    10-05    Holt Robinson Kronbauer Macnabb O'Connor    Harry Whittington 
WINNER MASSAGOT (FR)    5    10-05    Masterson Holdings Limited    Alan King 
BLAZER (FR)    5    10-04 (5lb ex)     John P McManus    Willie Mullins IRE
GALIZZI (USA)    5    10-04    Bloomfields    John Ferguson 
CHIEFTAIN'S CHOICE (IRE)    7    10-02    Carl Hinchy    Kevin Frost 
CHAMPAGNE AT TARA    7    10-02    John P McManus    Jonjo O'Neill 
BABY KING (IRE)    7    10-01    About Two Weeks    Tom George 
FLYING ANGEL (IRE)    5    10-01    R J Rexton    Nigel Twiston-Davies 

31 five-day confirmations
9 Irish-trained
By:
FELTFAIR
When: 08 Feb 16 18:10
Started with eleven from original entries and now down to six,Ivan Grozny,Qewy,Three Kingdoms,Forest Bihan,Zarib and Winner Massagot.

Won`t back them all but will finalise things later in the week.
By:
brendrew
When: 08 Feb 16 20:45
sternrubin-e/w poke

hoping gary moore would have a runner but nope
By:
Paterson92
When: 08 Feb 16 23:41
GOING UPDATE: After a further 6mm of rain today we are now Heavy, Soft in Places on both courses ahead of #BetfairSuperSaturday.
By:
Paterson92
When: 08 Feb 16 23:42
Ahh well there goes the John Constable retirement plan for me! Just need to back him at 33/1 for the County Hurdle as an alternative now!
By:
Frankelampard
When: 09 Feb 16 11:02
There's two I like for this. The first is Starchitecht. A great run in last years Fred Winter and was going fairly well when coming down in grade 1 at Aintree. Gets in off a lovely low weight, I mean look at the weight he's carrying compared to Dicosimo and I know who was the better juvenile hurdler. Pipe will have him properly wound up for this as he would struggle to get into the County on his current rating so would need a good run here. He races prominently and that seems to be a positive around here. I saw some 25/1 yesterday and would hope you get similar on the day.

The second one I'm interested in would be Three Kingdoms, he went really well for a long way at Ascot before fading after the second last. He is another 4lb lower. He should be a nice big price on the day.
By:
Paterson92
When: 09 Feb 16 12:10
Ground would be the concern with Starchitect for me Frankelampard, is a good shout though.
By:
Can't Catch Me
When: 09 Feb 16 12:32
Starchitect will be one Im following closely but Id worry about him winning this on debut after the best part of a year off.
Page 2 of 5  •  Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com