Forums

Horse Antepost

There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
sintonian
09 Jul 14 11:55
| Topic/replies: 28,194 | Blogger: sintonian's blog
The market for this race has not formed much thus far. We will know more after the July meeting this week and the King George. Romsdal currently heads the market at 5/1. I don't know where he runs next. Anyone have an idea?

One I have taken a punt on at a big price is Windshear. He has steadily progressed this season through handicaps and has never been out of the first two. He has ran into a couple of really smart lightly raced types in Cannock Chase and Elite Army in his last two starts and was conceding them weight, albeit only 2lb and 1lb. He runs in the Bahrain Trophy on Thursday at Newmarket over 13f where he is favourite. If he wins that he most likely go for the St Leger, I hope. Only one firm is quoting him though which is a bit odd given Elite Army is in most books as a 12/1 chance. I've backed him at 20/1 with Billies.

Hannon Snr never won the Bahrain Trophy but had a couple placed and one near miss (Census).

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 1 of 4  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 121
By:
Graeme83
When: 09 Jul 14 13:39
I quite like 'Forever Now'. I backed him last week for Don, so hopefully tomorrow he can run a good enough race.
By:
sintonian
When: 09 Jul 14 14:43
It's amazing how many possibles Johnny G has for this race. Forever Now, Romsdal, Eagle Top, Taghroodha, Marzocco.
By:
twonky
When: 09 Jul 14 19:43
Too early to get involved, but interesting to see Western Hymn given a Voltigeur entry. Back on a flat lh course with a long straight. Will be disappointed if Gosden takes him on his usual Gordon stakes route.

Adelaide would also be suited to a stamina test in a long straight.
By:
sintonian
When: 10 Jul 14 13:00
Hartnell was quite impressive beating a very solid yard stick in Windshear. Top price is 14/1, as low as 6/1 elsewhere.
By:
sintonian
When: 10 Jul 14 13:02
Scrap that, 14/1 gone, top price is 11/1.
By:
sintonian
When: 10 Jul 14 13:48
Hartnell followed up his win in the Queen's Vase with an all-the-way success in the Bahrain Trophy at Newmarket.

Stepping back in trip, Joe Fanning was able to dictate his own pace at the head of affairs and never really looked like being hauled back.

Sent off at 9-4, his main market rivals were John Gosden's Forever Now and Richard Hannon's Windshear but the latter was one of the first in trouble before running on again to claim second.

Fanning said: "He's won well today, he kept straight and at the two-pole I thought it would take a good one to get by me. He quickened up well. He gave me a better feel today than at Ascot. There was a bit more juice in the ground - when he ran last year in France it was heavy ground."

Trainer Mark Johnston said: "Joe said he gave him a much better feel there than he did at Ascot. He wonders a little bit now whether the two miles there was stretching him a little bit.

"He burst clear so comfortably at Ascot and said today that two down he couldn't see anything getting past him. He had plenty left in the tank, he never flicked his stick at all and the horse went as straight as a gun barrel. That's the horse we thought we had.

"The St Leger has got to be the target. We were thinking of that even at the beginning of the year. Ground may be an issue as he has run his best races with some cut in the ground, so maybe it was a bit too fast for him at Lingfield and at Ascot perhaps. The Leger has to be the number one target."

Hannon is also thinking of Doncaster for the runner-up.

He said: "He ran a good race and stays the trip well, but I think the race at Ascot (second to Elite Army in the King George V Stakes) left its mark a bit. He'll have a break now. We can still look at the Leger later on, there's no reason why not."

Third was Forever Now, and Gosden said: "He didn't like the ground, which has come loose on top."
By:
sintonian
When: 10 Jul 14 13:56
Nice to here my Windshear bet still has legs even if he does have it to do to reverse form with Hartnell. In fairness, he never travelled that well today so perhaps what the trainer is saying is correct.
By:
sintonian
When: 14 Jul 14 14:09
Elite Army injured. Not sure how long for.

Windshear has been put into the betting by a couple of firms now at 16/1, but 25/1 still available at sj's.
By:
sintonian
When: 26 Jul 14 21:23
Eagle Top ran a belter of a trial for the Leger today, not sure if he is going to run. Gosden must have been disappointed with Romsdal who is now 10/1.

Kingston Hill is the new Fav LaughCrazy He's not bred for 14f?
By:
sintonian
When: 27 Jul 14 10:18
Eagle Top stayed on into fourth on just his fourth career start and Sky Bet cut the Royal Ascot winner to 4/1 from 7/1 for the St Leger at Doncaster in September.

Gosden was delighted with his run, adding: "Eagle Top ran a super race. We didn't get to run him last year and he is still on the immature side. He will come on a bundle and is a lovely horse in the making."

Hugo Lascelles, racing manager to Eagle Top's owner Lady Bamford, poured cold water on the idea of a tilt at the season's final classic.

"We were very pleased with him - it was only his fourth start," he said.

"The filly is unbelievable and the second and third were hard and professional. So we are encouraged and it was worth running as he did not disgrace himself at all.

"There is plenty to look forward to with Eagle Top. I would say he will have a bit of a break now - he is in the Leger but I don't think he will go there. There are no plans yet."
By:
sintonian
When: 28 Jul 14 14:37
I know they have said he won't run, but he is entered in the race, is perfectly bred for the job, ran a nice trial for it, and I found it interesting that Gosden said before the King George that he always planned to use the race as a prep for the Leger for Romsdal. So, with that in mind, and the lack of alternative targets for ET, I still think they may run and if he does he is a 3/1 chance, not 8/1, so i've had a bet.

There are some trials this week at Goodwood so market will change.

I cannot have Kingston Hill at all. Poor favourite at the moment.
By:
the bairn
When: 28 Jul 14 23:40
lady bampot must have plenty of dosh, not going to run for £340,000 when the horse has a great chance, also, it's a classic ffs. it could end up known as a good placed horse in big races next year or even get injured and not run again. yes I have bet it. cheers.
By:
sintonian
When: 29 Jul 14 19:20
The Gordon Stakes at Goodwood tomorrow will throw up a few clues. I am surprised they are running Windshear so soon after his Bahrain Trophy run given they said he had a hard race at Royal Ascot previously and could do with a little break.

Somewhat steps up to 12f for the first time after finishing 3rd in the Eclipse.
By:
sintonian
When: 29 Jul 14 19:21
Horses like Snow Sky & Scotland also represent the Eagle Top form from Ascot. A very informative race it will hopefully be.
By:
sintonian
When: 30 Jul 14 13:42
A decent run from Windshear, fast staying on second. I did think the drop back in trip today was a bit odd. Now a top priced 16/1 for Doncaster.
By:
sintonian
When: 30 Jul 14 13:45
With Snow Sky winning ... that's a form boost for Eagle Top Mischief
By:
unclepuncle
When: 31 Jul 14 14:02
Pity about Elite Army getting injured.Cry
By:
sintonian
When: 31 Jul 14 14:09
Only minor though Uncle. Maybe he'll run in the Great Voltigeur..
By:
sintonian
When: 31 Jul 14 14:10
£1200 waiting to back him on here at 10/1 still so..
By:
Figgis
When: 04 Aug 14 00:03
I was impressed with Double Bluff in the handicap. I thought that performance was better than much of the Group form on offer for this race and reckon he'd have a strong chance if he was aimed here. That's assuming he will repeat that form, you never know with Johnston runners.
By:
sintonian
When: 08 Aug 14 12:14
The money for Elite Army is still there but the money for Kingston Hill has completely dried up. Not sure how anyone can back him really when it's far from certain at this stage that he'll run.
By:
sintonian
When: 11 Aug 14 10:49
Windshears price has come in a little bit. Now some money for KH and still people wanting to back Godolphins horse.
By:
Millerracing67
When: 11 Aug 14 19:19
Think Eagle Top would be the class act if going for it sint.
Would stay the trip & has the best form imo, shame the owner does not want to aim him at it Plain, take all the beat in my book.
Big Jonny G loves winning this Classic, so maybe he will change her mind.
By:
the bairn
When: 11 Aug 14 20:24
big johnny g said Eagle top was being aimed for the st leger before it's latest race, the owner said she wants to try other races now, I say, better having a great chance in the leger than a fair chance against the very best,cheers.
By:
sintonian
When: 11 Aug 14 20:58
when did JG say that, bairn? Last I read/heard is that both owner and trainer were against running in the St.Leger. That is certainly what JG said after his King Edward win anyway. But since then they have given him the entries.
By:
alleged22
When: 11 Aug 14 22:03
I think the owner will get her way and so she should, imo. horse has a lot of potential and is still learning the game, never raced at 2, he looks one to get better with age to me. 1 more race then put him away for next year.
By:
sintonian
When: 12 Aug 14 09:58
what race though?
By:
kevinglass
When: 12 Aug 14 13:02
Aiden O'Brien's record is rather good here of course, and it's still very much unclear who he'll send.

I thought Kingfisher ran very well to stay on in the Irish Derby, Orchestra a reasonable yardstick to beat. He's won on soft, ran well on Gd/Fm, and the 1m 6f looks very much in reach. Whether he sends him over or not is the question??
By:
the bairn
When: 13 Aug 14 12:39
sint. he definitely said Eagle Top would be going for the St Leger in an interview on tv , I think it was after Sultanina won at Goodwood and he was talking to Lydia but it could have been Nick Luck, he was talking about a lot of his good horses and where they would probably go. this was obviously before Eagle ran such a good race in the King George so plans maybe different now. cheers.
By:
unclepuncle
When: 13 Aug 14 13:24
But Sultanina's win at Goodwood was after the King George?
By:
Millerracing67
When: 13 Aug 14 15:46
Think u have heard that wrong bairn.
If he was a confirmed runner, he would be fav imo.
By:
the bairn
When: 13 Aug 14 16:00
no, no, let me explain, he definitely said he was prepairing Eagle for the St Leger, this was before the King George, I can't remember when it was but obviously things have changed, he is entered in the voltigeur which is usually seen as a Leger trial, so maybe at one time that was the intended route, it's all up in the air now. I see Romsdal was bet with nearly all the bookies yesterday. cheers.
By:
sintonian
When: 13 Aug 14 17:26
I think if JG had said that he would not be trading at 12/1 on here. With Romsdal he said he had planned to use the King George as his Leger prep prior to the race as his frame could not take much racing. So, if he is prepared to go straight there with Romsdal, then he might do it with ET (if they decide to go). The owners other horse, Forever Now, who finished 3rd in the Bharain Trophy behind Hartnell and Windshear is going to France next over 1m5f and the racing manager has said he won't be going to the Leger so it's interesting!
By:
the bairn
When: 14 Aug 14 20:58
guys, my mistake, I just found the tape of the King George, Emma Ramsden was interviewing big johnny g pre race,  as I was going to the football that afternoon [Raith v Forfar] I set the recorder, when I watched it back he was talking about Eagle saying he had supplemented it, just like Nathaniel, and he went on to say Romsdal was being prepared for the Leger and this would be his trial, then freshened up for the Leger. my sincere apologies for the confusion. I bet Eagle at 6's immediately after, so this misunderstanding will probably cost me. cheers.
By:
sintonian
When: 15 Aug 14 14:03
No worries Bairn.
By:
sintonian
When: 19 Aug 14 09:03
Elite Army ruled out by SBS.
By:
unclepuncle
When: 19 Aug 14 13:09
Had a small bet on Marzocco @ 36 in the hope he runs well in the Great Voltigeur.
By:
liberator of the oppressed
When: 19 Aug 14 16:59
With you there Unc.
By:
sintonian
When: 30 Aug 14 11:48
Never see the Great Voltigeur but it's no surprise Hartnell ran disappointingly as he looks like he needs 14F+ or at least some cut in the ground.

Windshear now a top priced 10/1.

Nick Mordin has suggested one horse should be odds-on but I don't know which one he's referring to. Maybe Romsdal.
Page 1 of 4  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com