Forums

Horse Antepost

There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
These 211 comments are related to the topic:
Sussex Stakes

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 6 of 6  •  Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 211
By:
grendel
When: 28 Jul 11 09:52
what makes you think the 2010 Sussex was a slowly run race?, final time and running styles suggest an even paced race.
By:
A_T
When: 28 Jul 11 09:53
Richard Hannon this morning: "Had we been beaten a couple of lengths I could have accepted it, but to be beaten in that manner has left us scratching our heads, and, hopefully, we will get another crack at Frankel at Ascot.

"The first thing that Richard Hughes said when he got off was 'he is not himself'. He claimed that he was off the bridle before half-way, and Canford Cliffs has never been off the bridle in his life."

This race must have been a pretty sobering experience for the Hannon stable. Just watched the race again and I did not see CC coming off the bridle until the final 2f - Frankel kicked and just went away - CC drifted across the track under the sheer effort IMO. CC has never faced a horse in Frankel's league - the last I can remember who was comparable was Zafonic whose career went wrong after his Guineas but until then was a similarly impressive specimen who seemed to devour ground with his stride.
By:
Figgis
When: 28 Jul 11 09:55
Comparisons with the other races on the card. As Hughes said after the race, the Coolmore pacemaker went fast, but nobody else did.
By:
Figgis
When: 28 Jul 11 10:13
Grendel, I should've said it was quite an ordinary time for a Gp 1, rather than a slow run race.
By:
unclepuncle
When: 28 Jul 11 11:20
The 3rd and 4th horses are no mugs and yet they were beaten a very long way out as well - Frankel is simply too fast for all of them.
By:
tinkler
When: 28 Jul 11 12:09
All this talk about CC not being himself is nonsense and connections are in denial. He was off the bridle
in the middle of the race because he couldn't handle frankels pace ,nothing can. The horse was blown out
of the water and was lugging left late on probably due to exhaustion.
CC is one of the better milers in recent times but is no better than horses like Rock of Gibralter and
henry the navigater . He may have beat Goldikova over a straight mile at his favoured Ascot but I doubt
he'd be able to beat her in a two turn race in the breeders cup.
By:
A_T
When: 28 Jul 11 12:19
tinkler agree - CC brilliant miler but in the same category as those you mention. Frankel is something extraordinary.

Ignore Frankel and that was a good run from CC - the French horse ran Goldikova to a length last time and putting daylight between himself and the 3rd and 4th off an early crawl was a good performance.
By:
neill d
When: 28 Jul 11 12:23
Best I've seen
By:
cryoftruth
When: 28 Jul 11 18:23
I reckon that Canford Cliffs is a 132 horse.

However he was only 5 lbs (2.5 lengths) in front of Rio, who is a pretty solid 120 rated horse and pretty consistent too.

Race ratings (& I would be reasonably confident) 135 Frankel (+ whatever you want to add for ease of victory and he didn't seem to be exactly hard pressed to me), 125 Canford Cliffs and 120 Rio. Canford Cliffs drifted right across the track and may not have been quite right. however he might just have been shocked when Frankel quickened it was breathtaking. I personally have never seen a horse with a change of pace like that before and I can easily remember the Brigadier.

Canford Cliffs can definitely do better, but a Frankel on form is in my view a horse capable of any rating up to maybe 145.

I personally believe that Frankel will be better when he gets to race over 10 furlongs. he has plenty of stamina in his pedigree, and now he has settled pretty well, his pace through the last quarter of a mile would be fabulous.

In my view he is as near to Brigadier Gerard as any horse since.
By:
tobermory
When: 29 Jul 11 00:46
^
agree with that assesment

QEII at Ascot as his last race this year - not sure if it's on the round course or straight course yet.

On the straight course, as they don't want 4 races on the round course in case it comes up soft.
By:
cryoftruth
When: 29 Jul 11 21:46
I reckon I am very lucky.

I saw the Brigadier (on the telly) win the Guineas with an amazing turn of speed to beat 2 champions by 3 lengths.
I remember him beating a French champion, Sparkler, 6 lengths too. he was an amazing horse.

I was at Ascot when Shergar won the King George.

I saw Sea The Stars at York too.

I saw Dayjur win the Nunthorpe, and Stravinski and Moorestyle and the unbelievable filly Habibti as well.

I remember like it was yesterday Peter OSullivan saying "what  a horse - he's trotting up" when Nijinsky won the king George with  a Derby winner (Blakeny) thrashed in behind.

I rember Dancing Brave very well and the under rayed Sharastani winning the Irish Derby in a canter.

I have, however never seen a horse before like Frankel. He is quite amazing.
By:
neill d
When: 29 Jul 11 21:51
Good analysis COT, I agree, though i know little of BG's form, due to anecdote, I don't doubt his greatness.
Page 6 of 6  •  Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com