Forums

Horse Antepost

There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
These 211 comments are related to the topic:
Sussex Stakes

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 5 of 6  •  Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 211
By:
Figgis
When: 25 Jul 11 21:11
Another point is if there is no pace on, the weight difference will matter less, so in theory making CC's task less formidable.
By:
MrTea
When: 25 Jul 11 22:25
Frankel is a top horse but i think canford will track him during and hunt him down in the final furlong
By:
grendel
When: 26 Jul 11 08:46
Just researched small field 3yo+ group races over 1 mile in GB, there has been 9 of them with 4 or 5 runners involving 42 runners in total since 2000.

3yo  9 wins from 23 (5.6 exp)
4yo+ 0 wins from 19 (3.4 exp)
By:
johnnyrant
When: 26 Jul 11 08:48
Don't know why this is being built up as 'race of the century'. 4 runners in the field - it's a joke race and has all the hallmarks of a crushing disappointment as it will surely become a tactical battle and won't tell us anything about the best horse but the best jockey.
Queally won't want to make himself a sitting duck for Hughes stalking him. So we'll likely have an awful scenario of zero gallop from the stalls and both horses pulling like stink over the first 2 furlongs trying to hold them both up. It will turn into a sprint.
By:
tinkler
When: 26 Jul 11 13:22
The only explanation I could give for Grendels stats is that in big fields the generally smaller 3 y/o's
are more likely to feel intimidated being surrounded by older bigger rivals.
By:
custardcream64
When: 26 Jul 11 19:22
Does anyone think that Rajsaman is way overpriced here ?
Anything could happen in this race with just the 4 runners .
I think this is where the value lies .
By:
El Apache
When: 26 Jul 11 20:17
Just keep it simple.

As has been proved many times , a top class 3yr old will generally beat older horses at this time of year in Group Ones given WFA.
By:
A_T
When: 26 Jul 11 21:31
@johnnyrant - agree with the scenario you suggest. Frankel may well lead with a very slow pace then kick for home in the knowledge that he has the beating of this field in a 6f race.
By:
Far From Trouble
When: 26 Jul 11 23:05
Can't wait for Canford to slap his c ock around Frankel's face then make him eat his dust
By:
tobermory
When: 27 Jul 11 00:43
converted my ratings into odds

Sussex Stakes Rating Price
Frankel 137 1.53
Canford Cliffs 133 3.3
Rajsaman 121 46
Rio De La Plata  120 53
By:
bonce1134
When: 27 Jul 11 09:01
Far From Trouble
27 Jul 11 00:05 Joined: 26 Jun 07 | Topic/replies: 11,465 | Blogger: Far From Trouble's blog
Can't wait for Canford to slap his c ock around Frankel's face then make him eat his dust

LaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh
By:
unclepuncle2
When: 27 Jul 11 14:38
Canford maybe wasn't at his best but Frankel's normal racing pace just kills the opposition. The worst thing you can do is let him have an easy lead, because while it's easy for Frankel the opposition are going way faster than they usually would.
By:
tobermory
When: 27 Jul 11 14:53
well summed up Uncle
By:
Figgis
When: 27 Jul 11 14:56
Well, no reasonable excuses for CC there. Great to see Frankel confirm the quality of his Guineas win, brilliant.
By:
A_T
When: 27 Jul 11 15:00
TG rode a great race managing to conserve Frankel's speed for when it mattered. CC needs a strong pace and a target - he had the target but problem was the slow early pace meant the target was going away from him at the end! Think CC ran pretty much to form - the French horse got close to Goldikva last time - IMO he drifted across because he was flat to the boards and he's used to winning cosy.
By:
A_T
When: 27 Jul 11 15:00
*TQ
By:
Platini
When: 27 Jul 11 15:12
didn't see too much c0ck slapping going on there. [;)]
By:
sintonian
When: 27 Jul 11 15:16
[;)]Silly
By:
grendel
When: 27 Jul 11 15:23
buddeliea
Date Joined: 19 Mar 04
Add contact | Send message When: 20 Jul 11 17:38 Joined: Date Joined: 19 Mar 04 | Topic/replies: 3,700 | Blogger: buddeliea's blog
Most talented miler for decades??

Talking stops for me now,tad too many OTT comments for my liking.
Gonna Let the horses do the talking now,and see you all after the race.
cheers

Yes!, the most talented miler for decades.
By:
tinkler
When: 27 Jul 11 16:12
Predictably it was a no contest and showed how much of an over hype there has been over it.. It takes 2 to make a
great contest and Frankel is just far too superior. Queally did well to settle him, but lets be honest
you cann't go wrong , its like driving a ferrari against a mini.
1 1/4 m looks like being ok as he's so good ,but will his class stretch to 1 1/2m ,thats the most
interesting question of all, that will probably never be answered.
the Juddmontte will probably be another small field no contest, I cannt see Ballydoyle risking SYT's
stud value and theres no other decent 1 1/4m horses to give him a race.
The only 2 interesting races left for him to run in are the Arc and the Breeders cup Classic.
Wouldn't it be great if he ran in one or both of those. If he was mine thats where he'd be running.
By:
buddeliea
When: 27 Jul 11 16:25
Well that was mighty impressive.

Most talented miler for decades?? Yes,thats possible,certainly convinced me now that hes the best miler around.
He certainly did the talking,and its great to have such a fantastic horse to enjoy.
Well done Grendel,and anyone else who has been saying Frankel is special.I needed more convincing.
He is special.
By:
sintonian
When: 27 Jul 11 17:49
why on earth are you still talking about getting him settled Tinkler ? Cant you see he is maturing ? He settled beautifully at Ascot, just like he did today, but at Ascot they just kicked for home too soon.
By:
Sandown
When: 27 Jul 11 18:19
He bust the clock over the last 3f - fastest I've recorded for the trip in the past 20 years or so.One of the all-time great milers.
By:
A_T
When: 27 Jul 11 18:32
Thanks Sandown I was wondering about the sectionals. It would be interesting to know how fast CC covered the last 3f compared to last year's renewal of the Sussex. The overall time was almost exactly the same and ground conditions similar. Would not suprise me if CC actually finished quicker this year.
By:
Far From Trouble
When: 27 Jul 11 22:01
Gotta hold my hands up here, Frankel is absolutely awesome, a true phenomenon

Didn't think it was possible for anything to do what Frankel did to a pretty exceptional racehorse in Canford Cliffs
By:
sintonian
When: 27 Jul 11 22:13
CC got a maggot. HTH.
By:
Far From Trouble
When: 27 Jul 11 22:14
Confused
By:
Far From Trouble
When: 27 Jul 11 22:14
Sorry, I get ya now Laugh
By:
sintonian
When: 27 Jul 11 22:17
LaughCool
By:
tobermory
When: 27 Jul 11 22:21
Laugh
By:
Far From Trouble
When: 27 Jul 11 22:27
Silly

Seriously though, massively underestimated Frankel. Given that Canford Cliffs is a 5 time gr 1 winner beating plenty of other gr 1 horses in the process and probably the second best miler in the world, Frankel is some horse Shocked
By:
unclepuncle
When: 28 Jul 11 06:35
They crawled for the first 1f or so so it ended up being a 7f race in all but name so not surprised the last half mile or so was very quick. It was like a piece of work, take it steady then gradually wind it up at the 4f ple andf then quicken up for the last 2f.

Looks like they have abandoned plans to go for the Juddmonte with the QEII at Ascot as his last race this year - not sure if it's on the round course or straight course yet. If it's decent ground (middle of October so could be anything) then at least Hannon won't be able to blame the trackCry.

I'd still love to see him drop in trip and take on Dream Ahead over 6-7f somewhere on nice ground.
By:
Sandown
When: 28 Jul 11 08:33
A-T

Would not suprise me if CC actually finished quicker this year.

He did, albeit off a slower pace. CC put up a top class finishing split so I'm not of the opinion that he ran below par, it's just that Frankel is exceptional.Sooner or later Frankel will get a 140+ rating.
By:
Sandown
When: 28 Jul 11 08:36
It was like a piece of work, take it steady then gradually wind it up at the 4f ple andf then quicken up for the last 2f.

Damned with faint praise, indeed. If it was like a piece of work, then I'd like to see him when he's racingLaugh
By:
unclepuncle
When: 28 Jul 11 08:47
I wasn't intending to damn him Sandown, quite the opposite. Basically saying that he hardly broke sweat to do what he did yesterday as his normal pace is the equivalent of flat out for other horses. He also quickens in the blink of an eye.
By:
Figgis
When: 28 Jul 11 08:53
Sandown

Taking nothing away from Frankel, whose Guineas win showed he was exceptional, but don't you think CC has been a bit overrated? He was outstanding as a 2yo in the Coventry but since then the only classy horses he's beaten were RVW, which was achieved in a slow run race when that horse was arguably not at his best, and Goldikova, who I would argue is also on the decline. He's run some decent times but nothing to put him up with the best milers. I know his fans have said he only does enough so we won't know how good he is until he's properly tested, well now he has been, imo.
By:
sintonian
When: 28 Jul 11 09:32
We'll see what Goldikova does next time out Figgis, this weekend or next ?
By:
Figgis
When: 28 Jul 11 09:37
I think it might be the 15th, sint, not sure what else is being targeted at the race.
By:
TheFormMan
When: 28 Jul 11 09:40
But he was tested by one of the most exceptional horses ever to be bread figgs,think you are being a little harsh on Canford,he is extremely high class on one of the best we have seen in years,you can name any miler you want to,going back as long as you want to and Frankel would have done to them exactly what he did to canford

As for Goldikova being in decline,well she will put that theory of yours to bed on sunday beating a very high class field of fillys and mares with ease
By:
Figgis
When: 28 Jul 11 09:48
Sorry, sint, I was forgetting the Rothschild, I don't really think she'd have to be at her best looking at that lot. For me, CC has just been a decent Gp 1 miler, up to the usual standard for such races but nothing more than that. It's his exciting last gasp finishes and Hughes' style of riding him that have elevated him above that.
Page 5 of 6  •  Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com