Forums

Horse Antepost

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
sarky
26 May 10 09:41
| Topic/replies: 488 | Blogger: sarky's blog
This season

Maqaasid

King Torus

Both looked to be fluffing thier lines but when the penny dropped ran out impressive in my view winners. Both might of beaten trees and other assorted garden furniture but are ones to keep on the right side off.
Pause Switch to Standard View Your top two year olds so far
Show More
Report Richie-O May 26, 2010 3:32 PM BST
Yes, redal. Retainer was very impressive and all those he beat that have run since have won, i think.
Report Cream Of The Crop May 27, 2010 1:21 AM BST
Elzaam, Klammer and Maqaasid are the three who've caught my eye the most so far, and the second named is a lot better than the winning margins of both his victories have suggested.
Report sarky May 27, 2010 9:52 AM BST
Maqaasid

King Torus

SHEER COURAGE

Elzaam.

Meow & Samuel Morse

Jackaroo

rimth

Head Space

Memory

Apticanti

Strong Suit,

Zebedee

Bacheli,

Klammer

Horses metioned so far.
Report jamesp May 27, 2010 7:01 PM BST
ben10, what did you make of Dinkum Diamond's win in the National Stakes this evening?  Like you, I was looking forward to seeing how he would get on against the likes of Cape To Rio, as he had looked impressive on his debut at Salisbury, showing a smart turn of foot.  I haven't seen the winning time yet, but they seemed to go a good pace and he was well on top at the line.  Clearly not short of pace, he promises to stay another furlong and is certainly one to follow.
Report ben10 May 27, 2010 7:09 PM BST
Dinkum Diamond was also mentioned ;)
Report ben10 May 27, 2010 7:10 PM BST
Sorry had that open for ages and then posted that! I liked the performance and hope he can go on from that, agree another furlong wouldn't do him any harm
Report ben10 May 27, 2010 7:12 PM BST
Time was 1m2s
Report ben10 May 27, 2010 7:16 PM BST
1m 1.88s to be precise. Looking at the full result I think it's good to see him pull out more from Foghorn so certainly is improving fast.
Report bosra shame May 27, 2010 7:44 PM BST
Winner of Norfolk - save this thread !!
Report soldieroffortune May 27, 2010 8:24 PM BST
Zoffany
Samuel Morse

Both beautiful colts with massive potential.
Report ben10 May 27, 2010 8:33 PM BST
Considering Ballydoyle have had a mixed start with their older horses their two year olds have started quite strongly I feel.
Report TD_Gunner May 27, 2010 8:40 PM BST
yeah, like Samuel Morse a lot.
Report Fidway. May 27, 2010 8:40 PM BST
what was the name of dermot welds 2yo that won at the weekend
Report ben10 May 27, 2010 8:43 PM BST
Moonlit Garden?
Report jamesp May 27, 2010 9:37 PM BST
A smart-looking filly made her debut at Longchamp this afternoon.  Melody Dawn (Tale Of The Cat - Muskoka Dawn), trained by Carlos Laffon-Parias, won the 5f race for unraced two-year-olds by four lengths in a time of 60.44s (on soft ground).  Impossible to know what the form is worth at this stage, but she was clearly fancied (was sent off favourite) and did it well.  The American sire is perhaps not very well known here: he's a son of Storm Cat, was a smart 7-9f performer (Gr.2 winner and Gr.1 placed), and his best offspring are Gio Ponti (runner-up in last season's Breeders' Cup Classic) and Lion Heart (Gr.1 winner over 9f).  Melody Dawn is a half-sister to the useful Mousse Au Chocolat (Gr.2 placed over a mile) and should stay at least another couple of furlongs.  Interesting prospect.
Report jamesp May 27, 2010 9:47 PM BST
Moonlit Garden looked a smart prospect when she won on debut at the Curragh (easily by three lengths).  Dermot Weld gave the impression afterwards that he likes her a lot and the Queen Mary (over a furlong shorter trip) is her next intended target.  She's quite speedily bred (by Exceed And Excel out of a 6-7f winner by Night Shift) and is likely to be best at sprint distances.  She was travelling best from some way out at the Curragh, so the drop to 5f in the Queen Mary wouldn't be a concern and she will take some beating at Ascot.
Report Brodie May 28, 2010 12:47 AM BST
I had a look at all the horses on video last night ( love

these kind of threads ) but just on looks alone, i like

Head Space, Strong Suit ( got hit on the head and still won

easily, great attitude for a young 'un ), Sheer Courage and

the green as grass Maqaasid.
Report HENRY THE ATEF May 28, 2010 3:18 AM BST
SAMUEL MORSE ...nuff said
Report amaru May 28, 2010 3:12 PM BST
Retainer is the one who has impressed me most this season in a race that has a decent history of producing good horses.  The 4.5L second Sikeeb has since won a Goodwood maiden, the 6.75L fourth Julius Geezer won the Lily Agnes next time out and the 7.25L fifth Bilko Pak has won a maiden at Windsor. The form looks strong and he was most impressive in stretching clear, perhaps helped by being on the rail throughout.  I'm looking forward to seeing the third, Ocean Bay, again as he was green as grass during the race but finished the race very well and should be more than capable of picking up his maiden.   For me Retainer would be very difficult to beat in the Norfolk but the comments from the trainer suggest that Zebedee is his horse for that race.

Temple Meads was another I liked.
Report redal2 May 28, 2010 3:22 PM BST
Yes I liked Temple Meads a lot, he quickened nicely at Newmarket and looked very professional. He's in my top 5 for sure.
Report amaru May 28, 2010 3:57 PM BST
Yeah he did quicken very nicely.  Thought it took him a little while to get going but when he switched off the rails he really picked up takingly and was well on top in the end.  The Norfolk would be the obvious option for him too.
Report canny ken May 28, 2010 5:55 PM BST
On my speed ratings, Strong Suit put up a remarkable performance first time out.  Within 8 lbs of the fastest 2yo race of last season.  He's a good bet for the Coventry (though the price has gone) and not a bad one for the Guineas at 33/1.

The second, Neebras, must be pretty useful too.
Report thegibbons May 29, 2010 11:43 PM BST
[;)]Head space
Report The Barbie Army May 30, 2010 1:27 AM BST
Moonlit Garden
Report Dark Destroyer May 30, 2010 12:28 PM BST
As far as the fillies are concerned I thought Memory looked a very exciting prospect.
Report mightymoyes May 30, 2010 3:22 PM BST
good performance there by longhunter at leopardstown.
Report jamesp May 30, 2010 4:53 PM BST
I too thought that Memory looked an exciting prospect.  Richard Hannon won the same maiden with the very smart Elusive Wave a couple of years ago.  Mind you, Apazine let the form down at Newmarket on Friday in what may turn out to be a hot maiden (won by Al Sharood).
Report jamesp May 30, 2010 4:59 PM BST
Time experts may be interested to note that the French filly Melody Dawn (noted above) achieved a higher Topspeed figure than Moonlit Garden, Memory or Al Sharood (and just one point behind Listed race winner Primo Lady).  It will be interesting to see whether Carlos Laffon-Parias brings her over for the Queen Mary.
Report quayside May 31, 2010 2:13 AM BST
Elzaam by a country mile
Report melbourne8 May 31, 2010 9:42 AM BST
elzaaaaaaaam
Report jamesp June 4, 2010 9:45 PM BST
My current short list for the Queen Mary Stakes at Ascot: Final Mesa, Meow, Moonlit Garden and Melody Dawn.  Wesley Ward won the Queen Mary last year with Jealous Again and is looking to follow up with Final Mesa, a very fast filly who won on debut at Keeneland by 7½ lengths in a time of 51.11s (for 4½ furlongs) and recently made it two from two at Delaware Park.  Meow won by 7 lengths for David Wachman at Tipperary and looks extremely fast.  Moonlit Garden and Melody Dawn are covered in earlier contributions to this thread.  Melody Dawn is the least likely of the four to run (I've no idea what her next intended target is).  It's hard to see the English fillies coping with this quartet.
Report Swinia June 5, 2010 12:56 AM BST
i'm told Murtagh doesn't fancy any of O'Breins taking on Meow ! Bolger to unleash a monster soon [;)]"beautifully bred colt" of course[:p]
Report downallstar June 5, 2010 2:15 PM BST
Good boost for Samuel Morse there - High Award winning well at Epsom.
Report Dark Destroyer June 5, 2010 2:41 PM BST
Not in the same league admittedly but Neebras gave Strong Suit's form a nice boost last night.
Report Dark Destroyer June 5, 2010 2:42 PM BST
Not in the same league admittedly but Neebras gave Strong Suit's form a nice boost last night.
Report Figgis June 8, 2010 9:39 PM BST
Radharcnafarraige, very impressive on the clock at Naas yesterday, but unlikely to make much of a 3yo.
Report The Paddock Inspector June 8, 2010 10:11 PM BST
The meetings that I have been present at of the 2 year olds - Temple Meads and Strong Suit -  impressed me both in looks and ability.
Report Howellsy June 8, 2010 10:15 PM BST
84 Temple Meads
83 Strong Suit
81 Samuel Morse?
80 Elzaam
79 Ballista
78 Retainer
77 Klammer
77 Primo lady
76 Reckless Reward
76 Boundless Spirit
75 Arctic Feeling
75 Julius Geezer
75 Zebedee
74 Excel Bolt
74 Geesala
Report jmc27 June 8, 2010 11:32 PM BST
Meow is going to be Europes first breeders cup juvenile fillie winner. Hits the gates hard just what you want stateside Cool

Zoffany looks well above average aswell. Interesting to read Hughes doesnt think to much of the 2yr olds so far in the UK this year or is he just playing them down Confused
Report Moono June 9, 2010 12:18 AM BST
Random football on the track in the Temple Meads race Laugh..Meow & Strong Suit look like the cream of the crop to me..
Report Howellsy June 9, 2010 6:31 AM BST
Sorry, I should have made it clear that my list of speed figures refers to the winners of races only.
Report dubai June 9, 2010 9:26 PM BST
What has R.Fahey got.
What has R.Fahey got.
What has R.Fahey got.
Report ben10 June 9, 2010 10:31 PM BST
Marine Commando was a nice winner for Richard Fahey at Carlisle, has a nice line with Dinkum Diamond. Picked up an entry in the Windsor Castle which is good to see so could be interesting in that race. That horse springs to mind staight away for me, bit surprised no mention previously actually. Probably others that I've missed if anyone else has got any...
Report Futurity June 10, 2010 7:02 AM BST
73      Strong Suit      Colt      R Hannon
69     Neebras     Colt     D R Lanigan
69     Elzaam     Colt     M A Jarvis
68     Galtymore Lad     Colt     M R Channon
67     Sheer Courage     Colt     R Hannon
66     Dinkum Diamond     Colt     H Candy
66     Samuel Morse     Colt     A P O'Brien
65     Sir Reginald     Colt     R A Fahey
63     High Award     Colt     T Stack
63     Boundless Spirit     Colt     B Smart
62     Purple Glow     Filly     J S Bolger
62     Chilworth Lad     Colt     M R Channon
62     Cape To Rio     Colt     R Hannon
62     Klammer     Colt     Jane Chapple-Hyam
62     Radharcnafarraige     Filly     J S Bolger
61     My Son Max     Colt     R Hannon
61     Primo Lady     Filly     Miss Gay Kelleway
61     Excel Bolt     Colt     B Smart
61     Cafe Elektric     Colt     Sir Mark Prescott
61     Marlinka     Filly     R Charlton
61     Oor Jock     Colt     D K Weld
61     Moment Of Weakness     Gelding     Mrs John Harrington
61     Al Sharood     Filly     Mahmood Al Zarooni
61     Cocktail Charlie     Colt     T D Easterby
60     Googlette     Filly     E F Vaughan
60     Avonmore Star     Colt     R Hannon
60     Jackaroo     Colt     A P O'Brien
60     Dingle View     Filly     P D Evans
60     Temple Meads     Colt     E S Mcmahon
60     Idiom     Filly     Mahmood Al Zarooni
60     Chiswick Bey     Colt     R A Fahey
59     Rerouted     Colt     B W Hills
59     Marine Commando     Colt     R A Fahey
59     Waking Warrior     Gelding     K A Ryan
59     Meow     Filly     David Wachman
59     Dolly Parton     Filly     D Nicholls
59     Geesala     Filly     K A Ryan
59     Zaidan     Colt     C E Brittain
59     Eskimo     Colt     A P O'Brien
58     Dubawi Gold     Colt     M Dods
58     Premier Clarets     Colt     R A Fahey
58     Margot Did     Filly     M L W Bell
58     Excello     Filly     M S Saunders
58     Ladies Are Forever     Filly     G R Oldroyd
58     Choose Wisely     Colt     K A Ryan
58     Bahceli     Colt     R Hannon
58     Move In Time     Colt     B Smart
58     Afkar     Colt     C E Brittain
58     Julius Geezer     Colt     Tom Dascombe
57     On The High Tops     Gelding     T P Tate
Report Futurity June 10, 2010 7:38 AM BST
On the subject of Fahey horses, the best of them on my reckoning is Sir Reginald. Not sure where he goes as they obviously don't fancy taking on Elzaam again. He is iun a maiden on Saturday, which actually looks quite hot with Formosina in as well. Interesting to link the Elzaam and Strong Suit form.

He also has Chiswick Bey and Premier Clarets who are pretty useful.
Report dananders June 10, 2010 11:27 AM BST
margot did looks a nice filly
Report Big Black Cat June 10, 2010 10:20 PM BST
Futurity

Thanks for providing those figures.

I was wondering what any of the breeding experts out there think about MARLINKA (Marju ex Baralinka)?

Her pedigree doesn't exactly scream speed (her dam was a useful sprinter, but a half sister to SOVIET SONG) and I didn't think MARJU got a lot of sprinters?

The bare form of her Ffos Las win doesn't amount to much, but she did it well, and the time appeared to be fast.

I would think in time she would (on pedigree) have a reasonable chance of getting a mile.

Anybody have any opinions?
Report canny ken June 11, 2010 9:37 AM BST
On what Marlinka has achieved on a racecourse so far, she'll be destined for nurseries.  She'd have 15 pounds to find with the best fillies seen out so far (and I don't rate them particularly highly at this stage - they are a long way behind the colts this year). 

Since she's already had two runs, I'd be surprised if she improved enough to competitive in any Group race.  But of course, it's not impossible.
Report canny ken June 11, 2010 9:39 AM BST
Following up my previous post, I note that the 2yo expert, Futurity, rates Marlinka 9 pounds higher than I do. So maybe she does have a chance at some black type.
Report Equimine.co.uk June 11, 2010 10:30 AM BST
I don’t know if it is widely known that Marlinka was originally in training with Richard Hannon, who decided he couldn’t cope with the numbers of Elite members so she was moved to Roger Charlton.

She is more speedily bred than Soviet Song, but Fanshawe always said the SS had the speed to have won over 6 or 7 furlongs as a three year old plus  at Pattern level.

I have Marju rated as follows as a sire of two years olds :

Distance     Average            Top Rated
Sub 5 ½f    64        81
51/2 to 61/2    70        101
61/2 to 71/2    69        100

I have Barathea rated as follows as a dam sire of two year olds:

Distance     Average            Top Rated
Sub 5 ½f    70        104
51/2 to 61/2    72        105
61/2 to 71/2    70        106
Report Futurity June 11, 2010 10:56 AM BST
Looks like Formosina dodged the clash with Sir Reginald tomorrow, though there is an indirect line to the Strong Suit form through Frankish Dynasty. Might not be wise to read too much into though.
Report top3 makin ahern and de souza June 11, 2010 1:05 PM BST
i see sheer courage is listed under herman brown with ryan moore keeping the ride at ascot

anyone have any details of the transfer
Report dananders June 12, 2010 12:50 PM BST
margot did beat joyouysly on the bridle eased down. joyously won well last night. this horse has a nice turen of foot and id be supried if she wasnt in the mix in the albany
Report sarky June 15, 2010 6:03 PM BST
Both winners of the two year old races at ascot today mentioned on this thread
Report sarky June 16, 2010 9:44 AM BST
Will be playing Meow and Maqaasid with a small rfc this afternoon
Report sarky June 16, 2010 5:19 PM BST
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM !!!!!!!
Report Dark Destroyer June 16, 2010 5:22 PM BST
ben10 Joined: 06 Sep 07
Replies: 1746 09 Jun 10 22:31   
Marine Commando was a nice winner for Richard Fahey at Carlisle, has a nice line with Dinkum Diamond. Picked up an entry in the Windsor Castle

No one else has said it - Nice One Ben Cool
Report Dark Destroyer June 16, 2010 5:23 PM BST
And well done Sarky - even if we dont encourage forecasts Laugh
Report amaru June 16, 2010 5:31 PM BST
DD, first time i've seen you about since the Coventry, would like to thank you for pointing out the 4/1 about Strong Suit for the race with Jam Stains, cheers mate, won m an extra few quid. Happy
Report Dark Destroyer June 16, 2010 6:36 PM BST
Glad you got on.

I also mentioned 33/1 for the Guineas Laugh
Report sarky June 18, 2010 2:37 PM BST
Boom !!!!
Report ben10 June 18, 2010 2:43 PM BST
Thanks DD, well done Sarky
Report sarky July 8, 2010 12:22 PM BST
TTT

I see memory done the business again yesterday. Did I miss any others whilst on my holiday ?
Report Figgis July 8, 2010 10:33 PM BST
Native Khan the best long term prospect I've seen so far.
Report TD_Gunner July 8, 2010 10:41 PM BST
Was impressed with that one too Figgis, also thought El Muqbil was worth looking out for next time too.
Report crab patties July 8, 2010 11:05 PM BST
i like memory
Report coupers July 9, 2010 11:25 AM BST
A few bubbles may have burst at Newmarket.I like the form of Zaidan.This is my first bet for the 2000gns.
Report ben10 July 9, 2010 12:18 PM BST
Jaaryah impressed me in what was an average Kempton maiden
Report mythical prince July 9, 2010 12:25 PM BST
forminosa.
Report Cream Of The Crop July 9, 2010 12:45 PM BST
also thought El Muqbil was worth looking out for next time too.

Definitely. Lost his position mid-race but was strong at the finish under hand riding and will definitely be one to be with next time out. I also though Yair Hill from the John Dunlop yard was a big eyecatcher, running green but keeping on well under considerate handling to take sixth. All of his siblings came on a good deal for their first outing, and I wouldn't be surprise to see him turn up at Glorious Goodwood for their 7f maiden on the Saturday of the meeting for his next outing.

Ben 10, I also agree with you. Jaaryah won despite obvious signs of greenness beforehand and during the race itself, but she was given a lovely introductory ride by Robinson, quickening when asked for her effort entering the final furlong and won going away. Her pedigree strong suggests she'll have few problems staying 1m this term, and will be even better over further next year.
Report sintonian July 9, 2010 6:41 PM BST
SIKEEB is the one I like. Same stable as Zaidan but he looks a vrute of a 2yo to me and could make up into a Dewhurst contender.

Worry would be that he has not raced since winning his maiden early season so must have had a set back.
Report sintonian July 9, 2010 6:41 PM BST
* brute
Report amaru July 9, 2010 6:43 PM BST
Was mullered by Retainer on debut tho Sint and his maiden win isn't working out brilliantly. Confused
Report sintonian July 9, 2010 6:48 PM BST
was mullered over 5f, Amaru. He is no way a 5f horse imo he wants 7f already ..
Report amaru July 9, 2010 6:50 PM BST
Yeah, fair point bud, breeding suggests he needs a trip too.
Report sintonian July 9, 2010 6:52 PM BST
He was badly outpaced in the race straight out the gates, stayed on to get 2nd that day.
Report amaru July 9, 2010 6:54 PM BST
Aye, i've watched that race an endless amount of times since, it's worked out exceptionally well.  Was waiting ages for Ocean Bay to re-appear from it and he rocked up in the Superlative today! Needless to say I couldn't resist! Plain
Report sintonian July 9, 2010 6:57 PM BST
Laugh

He had a few setbacks too.

sweltering here, need an ice-cream.
Report amaru July 9, 2010 7:03 PM BST
Aye, apparently he's had all sorts of problems since that race.  Ran a decent enough race today tho off a rank bad gallop.

Enjoy your ice-cream! Silly
Report Beryl July 10, 2010 1:18 PM BST
I was very impressed with Native Khan at Newmarket. I think he has a very bright future.
Report downallstar September 13, 2010 10:15 PM BST
Pity this thread hasn't seen a post for over 2 months, was a good timeline for the season's 2yo's.
Report mightymoyes September 13, 2010 11:19 PM BST
i see the ante-post derby market is up on here now too.
Report bornisthekingofSB September 14, 2010 8:40 AM BST
didn't want to start a new thread but what do you people make of Alanza's performance yesterday at Listowel?

Btw i am not trying to say she is the best filly around or even close,just cant make the run out,visually very good on the eye,but did the front runners go off to quick?

cheers for any views.
Report jamesp September 14, 2010 8:51 AM BST
I suspect that this was a classic case of the leaders going off too fast in testing ground.  Having said that, the winner is clearly a very promising filly who is bred to do even better over a mile (being by Dubai Destination out of Guineas-placed Alasha) - she holds an entry in next year's Irish Guineas.  The bare form is nothing special, but she is definitely one to watch out for.
Report bornisthekingofSB September 14, 2010 8:59 AM BST
cheers jamesp
Report topwomem September 14, 2010 6:04 PM BST
2000 gns frankel! get on!!!
Report DMCK September 14, 2010 8:38 PM BST
frankel is a derby horse by pedgree in my opinion, when teddy says he's a gns horse we'll take it that he's a derby horse[;)]

im firming behind long live the king, got 40-1 with WH before he hit the track and was impressed with his maiden 2nd to a word apart in leop
Report Rowley Mile September 14, 2010 11:39 PM BST
Treasury Devil, won div 2 of the maiden won by saamid but in a faster time, smart bernardini colt imo.
Report ben10 September 15, 2010 12:57 AM BST
Saamid's race was quicker, interesting to see Musawama beat General Synod nto too which pointed to the level Saamid ran to...
Report Augustine September 15, 2010 2:18 PM BST
Correct, Saamidd's time in Division 1 was 1.60 secs faster than Treasury Devil's in Division 2. That's a big difference.
Report Rowley Mile September 15, 2010 7:59 PM BST
Sorry lads, i didn't miscalculate it from the result but if you watch treasury devil's maiden, eddie the shoe def says it was half a second quicker just after the race, just checked again there too.
Report Silvbird September 16, 2010 4:14 AM BST
I fancy Theyskens' Theory for the 1,000 G's

Have backed Picture Editor for the Derby

but think last week's Curragh winner - Chrysanthemum,

should be added to any list of top two year-olds -

She beat 8 previous winners FTO in a Listed race run in a fair time compared to the 3 group races on the same card.
Report sintonian September 16, 2010 3:33 PM BST
Any news on Sikeeb ?
Report jamesp September 16, 2010 7:26 PM BST
Silvbird, I'm interested that you fancy Theyskens' Theory for the 1,000 Guineas.  She's likely to be taking on White Moonstone (who's a similar price for the Guineas) next time in the Fillies' Mile and I'm confident that WM will start favourite for that Ascot race.  Do you think she's good enough to beat WM?
Regarding Chrysanthemum, I don't know what to make of that Curragh form: the runner-up Cambina had won a nursery at Killarney off a mark of 75 and was only rated 78 going into the Curragh race, the third Aris had been beaten over 6 lengths in an ordinary maiden (RPR 60), and one can pick holes in the form of the fourth (Peahen), fifth (Banimpire) and sixth (Gemstone).  On the other hand, she's a well regarded filly and it's unusual for a filly to win a Listed race first time out.  She shaped like a very useful middle distance prospect for next year: her dam won a 2-mile hurdle race in France and was placed over 11½f on the flat; Chrysanthemum's half-brother (by Dubai Destination) has been tried (unsuccessfully) over jumps in France, so she'll definitely want a longer trip.
Report Rowley Mile September 16, 2010 9:14 PM BST
I have been taken with theysken's theory and think she is a smart filly and have backed her at 20's and 11's for the 1,000. I reckon a horse like that who has tactical speed to front run as a two year old is often overlooked and under rated, i fell foul of it before myself when trying to figure out early on what all the fuss was about teofilo in his early races Sad. I haven't a clue how she'll train on or what her optimum will be next year being by bernardinion but both her and more recently treasury devil have looked v.smart and dominant from the front.
Report Silvbird September 17, 2010 1:10 AM BST
Tricky question that, Jamesp, trouble with TT, she ground dependant and didn't like the firm FTO but I gave her a bigger (by 6lb) figure than anything I have given WM so far next time at Newmarket - she didn't disappoint at Goodwood and remains my marker but to be honest they both look middle-distance types for next year. Maybe something a little speedier will come along for the Guineas - it doesn't seem as simple as this year?
Report Silvbird September 20, 2010 12:11 AM BST
I Love Me A M Balding

The Racing Post's speed figures are a stone light in my book (or should I say spreadsheet?) but a Cape Cross filly winning a £100k FTO - like Rowley Mile says, 'from the front'

Trainer says of her in Steve Taplin's 2yo's 2010

'A real quality individual, she moves well, has a lovely attitude & I couldn't be happier with her. Will be out in mid-summer and one of the nicest fillies we've got.'

Has to come into the 'could be anything' category but with Anabaa as damsire I reckon the Guineas more likely than the Oaks?
Report jamesp September 20, 2010 10:21 AM BST
I Love Me A M Balding
A nice debut from this filly, but I think it's premature to be talking about the Guineas.  It generally pays to take a conservative view of the form, and in this case the form should be judged by the proximity of the third Shafgaan and fifth Masonic Lady.  Shafgaan is still a maiden after five starts and was officially rated 83 going into the race; he was giving the winner three pounds and was beaten 2¼ lengths.  The fifth Masonic Lady is also still a maiden after five starts and was rated just 65 going into the race (following four defeats in maiden auction company).  The runner-up Sir Reginald appeared to run some way below his best, while the fourth Madawi threw away his chance at the start.  The Racing Post has given the winner a rating of just 83, which is a creditable debut performance for the track, but nothing special.  She was clearly very fit and ready for her debut and may not improve a great deal next time.  I certainly wouldn't view her as a Guineas prospect at this stage, but a very nice filly all the same.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com