Forums

Horse Antepost

There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
These 2131 comments are related to the topic:
Clerkwatch 2010

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 6 of 54  •  Previous | 1 | ... | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | ... | 54 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 2,131
By:
jonjo
When: 26 Feb 10 16:19
Christ Nick, that's far too advanced for this lot......
Might be something that could pop up in an article sometime soon though ;-)
By:
zilzal1
When: 26 Feb 10 16:34
It cant be that difficult if i came up with it!!

You would need some trained staff who could explain that there are different ways to "Vote" ie to win, be in the 1st three, 1st two in any order etc, sell them top ups which they then add to mobiles and return after racing to cash any returns in.

Appeal to their egos by asking "How Good are you at "Voting" ", stress that a lot of money can be won and just maybe they will get interested, look at some technology that the Americans use to make the visit to the course a bit more up to date, such as sectionals.

But its not a TEAM game
By:
jonjo
When: 27 Feb 10 06:52
God help anyone entering Davis Towers sporting a 'Team Denman' badge...... :^0
By:
jonjo
When: 02 Mar 10 07:22
Greg Wood in the Guardian.......

Jeremy Kyle was in attendance ­yesterday as the British Horseracing Authority staged its annual conference in London, but while his experience in mediating slanging matches might have proved ­useful in the past, the sport now offers a more united front.

Instead, the audience listened ­carefully as Rod Street, the chief executive of ­Racing For Change, listed a series of plans from RFC's "ideas bank" that should be ­implemented over the next 12 months. Details were at a distinct premium, but Street signalled the start of a period of ­significant change in an attempt to broaden and renew racing's customer base.

"We have been a dysfunctional family," Street said, with a nod to Kyle, a racehorse owner himself who interviewed the owners of the Gold Cup hopes Kauto Star and Denman on stage. "But after extensive group therapy for over a year now, we are making tremendous progress [and] 2010 will be a year of action."

The most significant changes outlined are likely to involve the much-heralded "premierisation" of the racing programme, and these have also proved the most difficult to agree.

"It has been complex," Street told the conference. "I have been in meetings where people thump the table with ­indignation about the move of the Derby from a Wednesday to a Saturday, which was 15 years ago. We are trying to ­shuffle the pack and look at fixtures in a very ­different way, and at times it has been like wading through very thick treacle.

"What we want on the Flat is a premier structure with a fixed starting point and a ­championship finale. In time, we would like to have a fantastic European finale to the Flat season, a can't-miss event."

Racing For Change hopes to shift many Group One races to Saturdays. "This is for two reasons," Street said. "One, it's the strongest betting day and we need to make the most of that, but it's also the day when we can put our product in front of more consumers."

The start and finish points of the new premier season, Street said, have been established, but will not be revealed until a later date. It will be a surprise, though, if the Guineas meeting in May and ­Champions Day at Newmarket or a similar championship meeting are not the bookends.

The premier National Hunt ­programme, meanwhile, will run from the Open ­meeting at Cheltenham in November until the Festival meeting at the same track in March, with the Grand National at Aintree the following month marketed as a "stand alone" fixture and meeting.

"Everyone knows that Cheltenham is the championship, so there is no need to mess around with it," Street said. "There was a suggestion that we should end the jumps championship at Aintree but it was agreed that this unique premier occasion stood perfectly well on its own. The Grand National casts such a shadow that it would be difficult to celebrate all our champions there. We might want to talk about Tony McCoy when the media want to talk about Liam Treadwell's teeth."

Another idea is for a valuable handicap race staged at a fixed time each Saturday, possibly about 15 minutes prior to the main kick-off time for football matches at 3pm to allow for tie-ins on bets.

"It will have a real identity," Street said. "It's something that can have ­better ­narrative in the media, and might just attract people who are coming in to have a bet on a football. But it's important to have the fixed slot. That's one reason why the lottery works and it helps to build the audience."
You can hardly tell the bookmakers are pulling Rodders' strings can you? LMFAO
By:
zilzal1
When: 02 Mar 10 21:49
Id actually like to know what their actual goal is??, Getting more people betting?, if its attendances well, anyone who has been to the biggest meetings will tell you its uncomfortable enough with the crowds that already attend, try getting somewhere to sit at the festival if you have got a ticket for Tatts, or getting a drink, or going to the toilet and then compare that to Old Trafford.

If BBC, ITV, C4 and C5 can show third rate matches on a weekday evening, why not run the Derby on a wednesday Evening around 6.30 to 7.00, start the card around four and have it as a showpiece on prime time. Moving all the Group 1s on saturdays is madness.
If they want to increase crowds on ordinary meetings then it comes down to price, get people there and dont rip them off.
By:
johnn
When: 03 Mar 10 08:44
That's the problem with all these so called "initiatives."
Nobody seems to have any idea what the desired outcome is.
One minute it's "there doesn't have to be a link between racing and betting", the next it's "this is a way to increase betting turnover."

The fact is that the authorities have a pact with the devil and can't bite the hand that feeds you.
The fat of the matter is this, if you were head of any of racing's governing bodies and were given the choice of...

1) A better regulated sport with more transparency, fairer betting conditions and accurate infrastructure information - going reports, etc

or

2) Same old as today, with 25% increased betting turnover...

then with the current setup and relationships with the bookmakers, he would be duty bound to say 1).
By:
johnn
When: 03 Mar 10 09:08
Not :^0
By:
cherry
When: 03 Mar 10 18:49
The watering cans are being readied by Claisse! He will produce good to soft ground for the start of the meeting in view of the forthcoming dry spell, he has stated today.
By:
johnn
When: 03 Mar 10 18:51
Take the 4/5.
By:
jonjo
When: 06 Mar 10 05:06
That's the crux of the matter with all these initiatives, as Johnn & Zil point out, no one seems to have the foggiest what the desired outcome actually is?
While the pact with the devil (GPT) is still in place, I think we can draw our own conclusions.......
By:
zilzal1
When: 06 Mar 10 07:31
Quite Jonjo, sometimes everyone doesnt sing from the same hymn sheet, as the e mail from kempton to a punter about field sizes proves, this was posted here in Jan

Subject: RE: 16 runner handicap
Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2009 08:59:18 +0100
To:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Our safety factor is 16 - we generally have a maximum field size of 14 to protect the LBO money and its also a compromise between jockeys and racecourse as the jockeys are happier with a safety factor of 14.
By:
empty
When: 06 Mar 10 11:37
Jose

What i want is those numbers to put in a horses past performance history, the customers of racing can then decide whether to use or ignore them and go with the GF, Good, Soft instead.
By:
cherry
When: 07 Mar 10 08:30
Watering starts on Tues 9th reports RP website this morning as no rain likely before next w/e at earliest. Ground good to soft atm.
By:
zilzal1
When: 07 Mar 10 08:40
TBF, if there is a dry f/c id rather they soaked it a week before, its drainage is probably too good nowdays. Its when they do it the day before and during that it can get messy, esp if there is a downpour after.
By:
bacchanal
When: 07 Mar 10 09:21
In 2006 a lot of horses died at the Festival, and they had a bit of an old chinwag about their policies, and they didn't really bother to keep the public informed.

2007 official ground: soft - time of Supreme Novices: 3:56.10
2008 official ground: good to soft - time of Supreme Novices: 4:06.45
2009 official ground: good to soft - time of Supreme Novices: 4:01.00

The policy of providing ground on the soft side of something is in place. Some agree with it, some don't, but there it is.

What the poor punter has to deal with is the reality of not having a scooby about the true state of the ground until about 1.35 on the Tuesday - and those at the track have to take special care to obtain the race times promptly, in spite of the fact that many will have already placed their bets off-course on the basis of Simon Claisse's "official" description.

Still, it's only the biggest meeting of the year.
By:
jonjo
When: 07 Mar 10 15:43
'soft' ground chucking up faster times than good to soft eh....
That winner must be a hell of a horse, or Claisse calls it what he thinks it is, irrespective of the true state of it.......
By:
zilzal1
When: 07 Mar 10 21:35
Baccy, not to mention that according to the going stick, Denmans 08 win was on faster ground than Kautos last year!!!

Would you be pleased with scales that had Big Mac lighter than you??, or would you want your money back
By:
cherry
When: 08 Mar 10 03:26
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2010/mar/07/john-kettley-rain-cheltenham-festival

Essentially, this says no more than 2mm prior to the meeting, but JK v. confident of rain during the meeting.
By:
cherry
When: 10 Mar 10 08:24
Shocking Clerking at Fontwell and Catterick; good to firm at both tracks.
Surely the BHA will take action for allowing these dangerous conditions?
By:
zilzal1
When: 10 Mar 10 12:50
No Cherry its not on mainstream television so its ok to race on, its only unacceptable at High Profile meeting where there might be some negative coverage.

Hence Taunton being able to race on ground that would Send Fergus from Goodwood to the doc because of high blood pressure.
By:
cherry
When: 12 Mar 10 13:02
Good to firm going at all 4 jump tracks today!
21 non runners declared before racing from 250 declared overnight.
By:
Roger The Butler
When: 12 Mar 10 14:28
Fergus isn't at Goodwood. You mean Seamus.
By:
zilzal1
When: 12 Mar 10 14:32
Ah yes Roger, my mistake. i wonder what Simons magic going stick reading will be for next Tuesday..............
By:
jonjo
When: 13 Mar 10 06:34
It wont matter Zil, he'd be calling it good/good to soft in places even if the stick was showing in the teens.......
By:
gart
When: 13 Mar 10 06:52
too much watering....

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Pn6VAGlMjVg/Saf8L2dBfII/AAAAAAAAF1A/gFj0i_wFT0o/s400/boobs.jpg
By:
Julius Caesar ( JC 100 BC )
When: 14 Mar 10 07:33
Peter Thomas.. Racing Post. Always fair to put up the tail side of the coin.....

Why Simon Claisse is more reliable than God :_|

THERE'S one man who's going to get a punch up the bracket from me quite soon, and I'll tell you who it is. It's the first one that comesup to me and says: "Yes, I know we've had a lot of rain and your cellar's been flooded for the last six weeks, but did you know the reservoirs are still only a third full and there's every possibility Thames Water will impose a hosepipe ban by the end of the month."

Yes, I'm fed up with the weather. Or at least I was fed up with the weather - now I'm just fed up with the people who are using the change in the weather as a feeble excuse to start a row about the watering arrangements at Cheltenham.

Two weeks ago, I started hearing the old Groundhog Day chestnut about how we were looking at the very real possibility of heavy ground at the festival. Then, after 36 hours of dry weather, the prospect of good to soft ground became a very strong likelihood, as it always does, and we were quickly plunged into the debate about how best to ensure there was no 'firm' in the going for the start of the meeting.

Watering, of course, is the only way of ensuring we don't get bone-jarringly hard conditions, so that's the option Simon Claisse, clerk of the course, decided to take.

And then it all hits the fan, doesn't it. Up pop the folk who like to say silly things like "Why don't we just let nature take its course" and "What about all the fast-ground horses? They might as well be retired," and "What does he think he's doing, watering two weeks before the festival, when it might rain and turn the ground soft?"

The trouble is, Claisse will be under orders to produce 'safe' ground, in so far as any ground can be safe when 20 half-ton thoroughbreds are galumphing round it at full tilt, and the only way to do that with any degree of certainty is to use artificial watering. Until somebody comes up with conclusive proof that the supreme being is a racing man with a decent grasp of turf husbandry and an up-to-date copy of the fixture list, we simply can't rely on nature to do the job for us.

As for leaving the watering until much later, on the off-chance that it might rain, because the weather forecast that says it's going to be dry can't be relied upon - well, as Alan King said the other day: "The one thing we don't want is a fast-ground Cheltenham, because the carnage would be unacceptable. They're better off watering early and putting on a bit at a time, rather than getting to next Sunday, thinking 'Oh f***' and flooding it." Quite.

Leaving aside the colourful Caledonian language, I think Kingy hit the nail on the head. Sure, naturally watered ground is best, but you can't rely on the timing or the quantity, or even the appearance, of rain, so it's best to keep yourself ahead of the game, then the worst that can happen is that you get ground that's too soft, in the highly unlikely event of an unforeseen deluge of biblical proportions the night before the gig starts. Even-handed watering plus rain is always better than hasty and desperate watering amidst drought.

Having to explain to some grumpy punters why a lot of horses have got very muddy and some have been pulled up is better, I'd venture, than having to explain to the RSPCA and the general public why a load of horses have broken their legs and been carted off for cat food.

If, among the ranks of the Claisse-bashers, there is somebody with something more than a good line in ignorance, bile, self-interest and hindsight -a hotline to the big man upstairs and a degree of influence over the Godly mysteries of his irrigation strategy, perhaps - then let them take over the hot seat at Cheltenham and deliver us perfect going every time. Until then, let's leave it to a bloke who has a pretty good record up until now.

He seems to be getting lucky with the weather forecast this year, again, which is nice, but even if it all goes pear-shaped in the next few days, he's still done the right thing, so give the man due credit
By:
zilzal1
When: 14 Mar 10 11:28
then let them take over the hot seat at Cheltenham and deliver us perfect going every time. Until then, let's leave it to a bloke who has a pretty good record up until now.

Right, so if a going stick reading tell you that Denman raced on faster ground than Kauto and the descriptions were accurate when the times would suggest they were WAY OFF in the last Three years then its no wonder that people define "Good job" and scratch their heads.
As for the watering, i didnt have a objection to a week before, its during meetings, a la Ascot, that i get the hump.

And journalists telling me that i have no right to question the status quo.

Yep, if Peter Thomas would explain how "some animals are more equal than others" when they can race on readings that would horrify the flat clerks over jumps at places like Taunton, i would be Grateful.
By:
cherry
When: 14 Mar 10 11:39
It's easy when you have a public platform and no need to mount a defence to the subsequent ripostes to 'appear' wise in defending those who provide you with hospitality, Mr Thomas.
To me, you are a fool as you are not prepared to evaluate ALL the evidence in the matter.
By:
Julius Caesar ( JC 100 BC )
When: 14 Mar 10 17:56
Its the sort of shoddy, unresearched, 8rselicking karp the millington seed sowers try to filter into the public domain on a regular basis.

Zil is spot on with what he states. Until the day comes as when going stick readings are produced in the format of what we keep banging on about it will all be a lost cause.

Credit Claise and his team for getting the watering in early as it seems perhaps some of what we keep wittering on about may be filtering through to those that matter.

Lets hope for a great festival which isnt marred with any fatalities but never forget these are the equine superstars who have been prepared to race for their lives in the given race and no quarter is asked for or presented to without the sometimes the ultimate sacrifice being made. :(
By:
zilzal1
When: 15 Mar 10 09:09
Now, and this is what is annoying, why have Cheltenham not taken a stick reading either in their report on Sunday or Monday, on The Bha site, Turftrax and the Post are still giving Saturdays reading and im sure that punters would like to know the extent that its dried up.

Its only the biggest jump meeting of the calender after all............
By:
zilzal1
When: 15 Mar 10 17:08
Course Cheltenham
Next Race n/a
Report Date Sunday 14th March 2010; 08:15
Going Old Course (Tues & Weds): Good to Soft (Good in places), New Course (Thurs & Fri): Good to Soft (Good in places), Cross Country Course (Tues): Good (Good to Soft in places)
GoingStick Old Course: 6.7, New Course: 6.7, Cross Country Course: 7.6, at 1pm Saturday
By:
zilzal1
When: 15 Mar 10 17:11
3/2010
CHELTENHAM - Jump (Updated:15/03/2010 at 16:05)
Going
Old course chase and hurdle: Good to Soft, Good in places.
Cross country: Good, Good to Soft in places.
(GoingStick: Chase and hurdle 6.8, cross country 7.5 on Monday
at 13:00

So he hasnt watered all weekend, no rain and been sunny and dry

The old course is one tick up and the Cross Country one tick DOWN

Where is Poirot when you need him???
By:
Steeplechasing
When: 15 Mar 10 18:36
Curiouser and curioser. I suspect Cheltenham have been caught on the hop this year; I believe they'd have liked more time to get some water on before the meeting started and there's every chance they'll be faced with watering during it.

If they do that, it could end up very slippery. There oft-stated policy of delivering 'safe ground' for the Festival has left them between a rock and a hard place.

It will be a very interesting four days. Let's hope above all for no fatalities.
By:
zilzal1
When: 16 Mar 10 10:30
Strange, today now reads 7.0 on the old course, but 7.4 on the Cross Country!!!
By:
unluckyStu
When: 16 Mar 10 12:03
No rain zil and they still managed to get soft in the descrption,beggars belief, possible rain before friday, and they let Kettley do the forecasting for them ffs !!
By:
Muqbil
When: 16 Mar 10 13:57
Not being a big follower of nh racing. How much impact will the moving of the final hurdle have on results?

Have antepost bettors had it up 'em?
By:
unluckyStu
When: 16 Mar 10 14:16
I reckon so muqbil, should not have been allowed to change the course like that this year,especially with antepost markets being open for 12 months, they don't give a sh!t about punters as per normal. I'm a flat man too so doesn't affect me.
By:
zilzal1
When: 16 Mar 10 14:18
I backed Menorah, but thats not the point, they should clarify if they are keeping it there
By:
zilzal1
When: 16 Mar 10 16:04
Looks a great deal faster than the "Good to soft" of the last two years!!!!
By:
zilzal1
When: 16 Mar 10 20:01
Love to know what the stick reading will be tomorrow

mind you he's called 7.7 good to soft before
and 8.1 good to firm

god knows what that actually was today at 7.0

the sinclair c5 of racing strikes again..............
Page 6 of 54  •  Previous | 1 | ... | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | ... | 54 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com