Forums

Horse Antepost

There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
These 2131 comments are related to the topic:
Clerkwatch 2010

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 2 of 54  •  Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | ... | 54 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 2,131
By:
birkdale
When: 07 Jan 10 05:11
Remind me again.
Are decimal odds being introduced in order to "modernise" racing or should it be seen as an attempt to get more racegoers through the gate ? If its the latter then I'm sure most people would be happy to put up with fractional odds in return for cheaper admission and better catering.
By:
Julius Caesar ( JC 100 BC )
When: 07 Jan 10 06:18
Obviously one of the big pluses of the AWT surface is its consistency, so ground discrepancies arent, by definition, as significant as they are on the turf.

Time to raise the white flag lads.........WE ARE DOOMED
By:
When: 07 Jan 10 06:21
If those jokers dont realise that changing the surface through deep harrowing combined with freezing temperatures ( and a cursory glance at the times on those particular occasions would reveal the slowing down of the track ) then we really are in even more trouble than we really think. :_|
By:
jonjo
When: 07 Jan 10 07:58
Hugely worrying that the party line from the BHA REMAINS SO IGNORANT regarding the state of the ground not being significant on the a/w
Twas the same in the summer, horses were taken out because of the ground at Southwell & we had Dale Gibson spouting nonesense in the paper about a 3x course winner being taken out on the a/w...
The clerk had told trainers that he'd been unable to get water on due to a stalls test & it was riding super slow & was like a dust bowl....The horse in question acts at Southwell, but only really when the ground rides fast.....
By:
zilzal1
When: 07 Jan 10 09:00
It does make you wonder just looking at racing and think "This cant be the only industry in the uk that isnt working properly"

And that should make you scared
By:
jonjo
When: 07 Jan 10 09:12
Imo, Nick, racing is completely in thrall to big business & those from the 'right background' in posession of marketing degrees etc.
Rather than actively seeking to employ people with a sound understanding of all aspects of the sport, they cast around & take on more & more of these nonentities who are simply there for the earner & dont really give a flying sh!t about the game as long as they get paid for 'liking it'.
If you dont 'get' what the instant appeal of this sport is, you are never ever going to be able to administer it (because it would require dedicated & yes, love for the sport to do the neccesary research/background work) or sell it to the masses.....The only people who seem to work at the BHA & realise how the game actually works, seem to be the ones who are not in a position to do something about it?
The direction comes from the top & amswer me this.....
Paul Roy will have seen Panorama when they confronted Bradley.
Now before the Hunt Cup last year, in the paddock, if he'd gone any further up Carson's rear end when praising the way the BBC present racing to the masses.....
If anyone can explain to me why he took that line, rather than asking that the BBC remove Carson from the broadcasting of racing in view of his "I couldn't save you, you did the right thing, say nothing to them" comments to Bradley (subsequently warned off) I would be very grateful. Maybe I am missing a trick here or something?
By:
zilzal1
When: 07 Jan 10 09:24
I think i remember in the sixties that three football players were banned for LIFE for fixing football matches, same nowdays with spectators at football matches,if you are caught fighting the penalty is a life ban in many cases and then they try the old chestnut of comparing admission prices between the sports when the PRIMARY reason that people go racing is to wager on the outcome of the days events.
By:
jonjo
When: 07 Jan 10 09:54
They could have chucked 1/4mil at this place (even paid for the crayons Bruce) & come up with a list as long as your arm of better suggestions that REL have managed, it's truly pitiful the state this game is in & it's purely down to the downright inertia of those at the top who are too busy counting their salaries to do something.
By:
When: 07 Jan 10 10:18
I remember my old hall of shame thread on royal ascot and Roy managed to userp that twerp persad as the number one most embarrasing moment of the meeting. Truely awful :_|
By:
When: 07 Jan 10 14:47
Strange that the oirish lads havent got more use out of the Dundalk track during the freeze. Surely they could organise a few schooling races if nowt else :p
By:
When: 07 Jan 10 14:51
On a related subject, if and when they have training carried out on the track.. Do they have to organize an ambo or two just in case there is an accident ???
By:
zilzal1
When: 07 Jan 10 15:29
Not sure JC
By:
empty
When: 08 Jan 10 04:50
jonjo 07 Jan 11:12

Imo, Nick, racing is completely in thrall to big business & those from the 'right background' in posession of marketing degrees etc.
Rather than actively seeking to employ people with a sound understanding of all aspects of the sport, they cast around & take on more & more of these nonentities who are simply there for the earner & dont really give a flying sh!t about the game as long as they get paid for 'liking it'.

If what you say above is correct JJ, the sport will wither and die.
By:
jonjo
When: 08 Jan 10 11:28
It's in the process of doing that (imo) Empty.
By:
empty
When: 08 Jan 10 11:48
Aye, although a few racourse shutting and less racing being staged is not really a bad thing imo.
By:
Muqbil
When: 08 Jan 10 16:50
I am more than happy to post the most recent reply from the BHA regarding the going information from the aw tracks. I replied to the email posted above citing a couple of examples (ie; Southwell yesterday) where the track work had resulted in very different going.

I have forwarded your most recent email to the Racing Department who in turn have made a request to those clerks of the course serving all-weather tracks.

In their email they have highlighted your query, asking if it would be possible for them to include a brief summary on their going reports recording any information that typically gets given out about any work being done on AWT (for example, deep harrowing) as opposed to normal preparation, as it was thought to be useful to the punters who watch the going reports on the various websites.

As this is something often already included in the regular updates posted through the Racing Admin website is it something that is no doubt feasible.

I hope this response satisfies your query. It is always useful to hear peoples opinions as it is only then that we can implement the changes you would like to see in place.

I am both suprised and delighted. They do and are listening at least to some items.
By:
cherry
When: 08 Jan 10 17:20
WD Muqbil.
Leaves outstanding an instruction to the turf clerks to be similarly informative though.
By:
zilzal1
When: 08 Jan 10 17:27
The Racing Department seem to have lost the eight questions that i put to them :-(
By:
jonjo
When: 09 Jan 10 14:05
Give em chance Zil :^0
By:
zilzal1
When: 09 Jan 10 14:18
I retire in around a decade
By:
Muqbil
When: 10 Jan 10 11:33
Perhaps you might court Turia to get a fast track to the racing department, zil?

Start of by sending a bouquet of roses, chocolates, that kind of thing...... Then straight in with the "I have a booked a table at The Ivy...."
By:
jonjo
When: 10 Jan 10 11:51
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4C4QpfjLcE
By:
ben10
When: 10 Jan 10 12:09
They reckon they'll get that on? He was talking of a 2 day spectacular
By:
birkdale
When: 10 Jan 10 14:18
Since Clerkwatch began, I've been wondering what qualifications you needed to become a Clerk of the Course, and some clues were given in the recruitment advert in Saturday's Racing Post for a Trainee Clerk of the Course at Sedgefield.

The successful applicant will embark on a training period, initially with the Senior Clerk, Head Groundsman and Groundstaff Team, whilst working towards accreditation as a fully qualified Clerk of the Course. A knowledge and understanding of racing and horses plus turf husbandry / agronomy would be an advantage. An eye for detail is essential along with strong communication and organisational skills as once qualified you will be responsible for the site and for working with and leading the Groundstaff Team. The successful applicant will receive a salary of £20,000 plus benefits.
So now we know. Doesn't seem too demanding.
By:
empty
When: 10 Jan 10 14:25
Wonder if our Redcar Corresspondent has applied :)
By:
empty
When: 10 Jan 10 14:29
If he did apply and was successful, we'd have a Clerkwatch Mole that could report on what these COC's REALLY get up to.
By:
birkdale
When: 10 Jan 10 14:53
This Sedgefield job is handy for JJ isn't it ? I really think he should give it a go and hopefully he'll get an interview.
By:
When: 10 Jan 10 15:29
Unless the benefits are around £40K per annum, I think we can safely rule out our redcar correspondent. :p
By:
Muqbil
When: 10 Jan 10 15:52

Julius Caesar ( JC 100 BC ) 10 Jan 17:29
Unless the benefits are around £40K per annum, I think we can safely rule out our redcar correspondent.

The benefits of being a clerk are potentially open ended......
By:
guinness2dear
When: 10 Jan 10 16:31
Yes you can progress to being a lifeboat Captain...
By:
johnn
When: 10 Jan 10 17:17
Making tea for Kirkland Tellwright for 20k?.....
By:
jonjo
When: 10 Jan 10 20:08
Depends what you are allowed to put in the tea?
Given free rein, I'd do it for nowt......
By:
zilzal1
When: 10 Jan 10 21:22
You are overqualified John..............
By:
zilzal1
When: 14 Jan 10 18:30
Update

All still quiet and not a reply from High Holborn............
By:
cherry
When: 14 Jan 10 19:21
I'm sure the Royal Mail are still catching up with the 2nd class letters, zil.
Or it's only the 2nd week in Jan.
Or staff have been delayed by the unseasonal weather.
Or they just can't be arsed to reply to an oick.
By:
jonjo
When: 16 Jan 10 07:01
Not exactly covering themselves in glory with all this are they?
By:
zilzal1
When: 16 Jan 10 10:25
I will fire another e mail this week in the hope that they would at least have the decency to acknowledge this one. They surely cant be short staffed!!-unless they have no real answers to the questions put to them and are stalling in the hope that it will be forgotten about.

No Chance chaps...............
By:
cherry
When: 17 Jan 10 05:06
You're dealing with the wrong dept., zil!
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2010/jan/17/mark-johnston-racing-for-change-interview
By:
jonjo
When: 17 Jan 10 07:36
Mark Johnston's motto is, famously in racing, Always Trying. The man who sent out more winners than any other trainer in 2009 is a Scot by birth, but his no-nonsense approach is more befitting his Yorkshire base and he is characteristically forthright when it comes to those behind Racing For Change, the project the British Horseracing Authority hope will lead the sport out of the wilderness. "The Racing For Change board wouldn't know a horse if it kicked them," ­Johnstone says. "It's all the same old faces. How are they going to effect change?"

As far as Johnston is concerned, ­racing's problems stem from a lack of prize money, the rot from which is ­gradually seeping down through the sport. "There's this huge thing at the moment about how wonderful jumps racing is and how bad Flat ­racing is," Johnston says. "It's only six or seven years since jumps racing was in ­seriously dire straits because of lack of prize money. It staggers me that nobody looks at the obvious now, which is that prize money over jumps is much better now, much better than Flat racing. That shows you what a bit of prize money can do. On the Flat we're boring the customer, we're boring the owner, we're boring everybody with endless dross racing for no money.

"RFC have two things that they should be looking at. One is the promotion of racing as a sport and not as a betting medium. That's not to say that we're not mutually dependent, we are. But the people employed by the BHA should ­concentrate upon running racing as a sport and selling it as a sport to people who will, in turn, bet on it. Football sells football as a sport, not as a betting medium, but people will still bet on it.

"Second, and equally as importantly, they should be concentrating upon the financial structure. What we've got to do is set a price for our product. Owners lose 76% of their turnover every year. Government and bookmakers make massive profits out of the sport, ­hundreds of millions of pounds, but owners make a massive loss.

"I think it's verging on immoral to take the 'it's a hobby' attitude and that someone else will pay. That's just not right. I look at one of the ideas from Racing For Change 'Free membership club for younger adults offering discounted admission and shares in racehorses'. That just shows how detached from reality these people are. The whole idea that people should get shares in racehorses shows that people have no idea how much it costs to run a bloody racehorse.

"I've got 135 staff here. For every racehorse, before you even start looking at the costs of feeding it, ­transporting it, putting a jockey on its back, paying for a gallop or anything, you've got to pay half a person's wages to look after it. This is not a cheap sport."

Johnston's relationship with ­racing's authorities has never been easy, even when he served as president of the National Trainers Federation before leaving "sickened by it all". But he does not blame those at the sport's grassroots.

"You look at the BHA and there are some fantastic brains for racing and they get bypassed time and again," he says. "The best two departments at the BHA are the handicappers, who know so much about racing and the structure of racing, and the veterinary department who know about horses. To my mind, those two departments should run the show. When was the last time someone from one of those departments rose up through the ranks to become senior steward or chief executive?

"I'm doing all right and I'll continue to do well. But what I'm saying is for the industry as a whole. I accept that maybe there are too many trainers; maybe there are too many racecourses; maybe some need to go at the bottom. But there are plenty in the middle tier who are doing a very good job, who are putting on the show day in and day out and who are ­losing money. And that can't go on. ­Racing can't go on like this."

A nice piece by Will Hayler there, but Johnston (despite saying what has been said many times on here - that it cant go on like this) doesn't address the BIG funding issue, which is Gross Profits Tax. The tax which means racing WILL be led by the nose by the big bookmakers until this sorry state of affairs is addressed (by someone with the clout to do something about it)
Johnston also completely misses the point regarding football/racing comparrisons......How many people went to football before you could easily bet on it at the games?
How many people would have gone racing without knowing they could have a bet?
That's before you look at people going to 'support their local team'
Does he really think that anyone born within shooting distance of Kingsley House will become a 'Waistcoater' & wear tartan to the races, like some kind of hybrid Bay City Roller meets Maktoum al Maktoum?
Whether he likes it or not, racing will always be a 'betting based' activity & should be promoted as such.
It's far too expensive to be classed as a 'value for money' day out if you couldn't have a bet....
What you doing this weekend Joe?
Oh I'm taking the family racing, we love paying £1 a pint over the odds for a lager, £20 to get in while we wander aimlessly round the course in between these 2minute bursts of action when some little fellahs ride horses round a field......we also love the traffic congestion & parking charges.
By:
Figgis
When: 17 Jan 10 10:36
"maybe there are too many trainers; maybe there are too many racecourses; maybe some need to go at the bottom........ ­Racing can't go on like this."

Take out the maybes and that's all he needed to say.
Page 2 of 54  •  Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | ... | 54 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com