Forums

Greyhounds

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
now wheres that switch!!!
21 Oct 21 11:10
| Topic/replies: 1,586 | Blogger: now wheres that switch!!!'s blog
Have they tried to take on too much racing? 9 sprints this morning out of a 12 race card. Who is allowing such a fixture?
Pause Switch to Standard View Towcester kennel strength..
Show More
Report sparrow October 21, 2021 11:29 AM BST
Are people now paying at the track to watch such nonsense?
Report now wheres that switch!!! October 21, 2021 11:41 AM BST
I would imagine there are zero spectators there! Is this the bookmakers telling tracks which races to put on? If so it’s a very dangerous situation for the game.
Report sparrow October 21, 2021 12:04 PM BST
I started watching Greyhound Racing in the 1950s and never even saw a 2 bend race until the mid 70s although there was just the one competition at Southend over 2 bends the Silver Salver before that time. People would never have put up with that sort of thing then and the tracks knew it but flapping tracks had them.
Report SlippyBlue October 21, 2021 12:05 PM BST
I'm booked up in the restaurant for a Saturday meeting in a few weeks, if it's a card like that I'm asking for a refund. I'm not going to entertain that sort of nonsense.
Report sparrow October 21, 2021 12:27 PM BST
They would have to pay me to watch that rubbish let alone book a meal in the restaurant.
Report SlippyBlue October 21, 2021 12:59 PM BST
I simply won't go Sparrow, my brother lives outside Bedford and we are staying for the weekend with him and thought it would be a nice idea to all go the dogs in the evening. The racing will have to be of a certain standard and a plethora of graded sprints just doesn't cut the mustard with me.
Report sparrow October 21, 2021 3:07 PM BST
A shame really Slippy but that is what the game has come to and they can't see it. What is needed is to go back to 8 race cards with plenty of variety as it used to be instead of the monotony of 14 two and four bend races and it wouldn't matter if they were all graded.
Report clacton October 21, 2021 3:11 PM BST
1.39 race off at 3.05. Hare trouble. Again.
What a track.
Report SlippyBlue October 21, 2021 6:36 PM BST
In an ideal world, I'd go back to a 10 race card with 20 minutes between racing. First race @  19.30, last race 22.30 and a decent mix of 4,6 and 8 bend heats.

Towcester on a Saturday is 8 races, first is 18.30 and last race is at 20.50. I think the restaurant was £40 quid per head and that's fair enough as long as the grub is reasonable I suppose. It's hardly a night out though finishing quite so early but sadly the days of me just getting " warmed up" at that time of an evening have sadly disappeared.

That ship has long since sailed I'm afraid. Shocked
Report sparrow October 21, 2021 6:48 PM BST
In those days of 8 race cards we used to have a 12 card on Bank Holidays and they seem to go on for ever as weren't used to them. It all seems a long time ago now and I suppose we were spoilt with all those great tracks when you see the state of the game now.
Report Ravage Again October 21, 2021 6:49 PM BST
Yer the grading strength at Towcester has gone down hill rapidly over the last 6 months

Some of these graded sprint races I would be second fav if receiving a 10 m head start Laugh
Report LoyalHoncho October 21, 2021 6:55 PM BST
10 short races on a card is excessive I agree but at the end of the day it is greyhound racing and I like greyhound racing.  My pet hate is a trainer having three in a graded race.  A recipe for a fiddle and not at all punter friendly and I don;t see any need for it at all.  I also pay close attention to certain pairs of trainers at certain tracks whose dogs get drawn alongside each other and one traps and the other doesn't.  Happens quite frequently at one track in my opinion.
Report sparrow October 21, 2021 6:55 PM BST
Do you ever bet on those so called races, ravage?
Report Ravage Again October 21, 2021 8:00 PM BST
No to be honest I do not bet at Towcestor anymore

I have tried in the opens at Towcestor a few times but lose so stopped

I occasionally lay slow away graded dogs in trap 1 or 2 if 6-4 fav or shorter over 500 m

I tend to bet mainly in open races at monmore, Romford and Crayford

Though rather surprising with my forum name I do not bet in any sprint races Laugh

Yourself what tracks, opens, graded, sprints, 4 bends, 6 bends you bet on?
Report ItsMeSwaddle October 21, 2021 9:21 PM BST
10/12 a complete farce.

As is anything over 4/12 actually.

Bingo rubbish.
Report shoodacoodadidnt October 22, 2021 8:26 AM BST
They're doing more and more sprints at all tracks. Clearly suits the major bookmakers to make it more bingoesque - will be one of the final nails in coffin for this game.
Report sparrow October 22, 2021 8:31 AM BST
Ravage, Never bet on 2 bend races and stick mainly to 6 and 8 bend races with place bets mostly over 4 bends. As for tracks I like Crayford but only for their 714 races and Central Park, Henlow and Newcastle are ok but its hard work these days with all the best tracks long gone and nothing now even compares with such as White City, Harringay and my beloved Clapton.
Report ItsMeSwaddle October 22, 2021 11:45 PM BST
You have the patience of a saint to put up with the state of them plaice markets Crazy
Report sparrow October 23, 2021 7:42 AM BST
Well I'm not one of those punters who wants to bet 8 hours before the race and place betting can only be done no more than 4 minutes before the off. Admittedly you can no longer get large bets on because of the vast amount of races going off but its not too bad on the right sort of race.
Report LoyalHoncho October 27, 2021 3:37 PM BST
Ditto sparrow.
Report ItsMeSwaddle October 27, 2021 4:03 PM BST
Well played lads.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com