Forums

Greyhounds

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
ronnie rails
27 Sep 20 11:51
| Topic/replies: 2,649 | Blogger: ronnie rails's blog
Tom Jenkins aka Power interview next week with Simon Knott.enjoy
regards
Ronnie.
Show More
Report ronnie rails September 28, 2020 10:26 AM BST
enjoyed it
regards
Ronnie.
Report Winja September 28, 2020 11:14 AM BST
do you have a link ronnie.......
Report sparrow September 28, 2020 11:51 AM BST
Would this be the one from last year?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8VFJAIWnvs
Report Winja September 28, 2020 12:25 PM BST
thanks sparrow....that was not the link but it led me to the link........this is the one..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBHAdRhRdnE&t=629s

its 1 of 5.......
Report dr . atkins September 28, 2020 2:27 PM BST
got the wrong one should be john
Report ronnie rails September 29, 2020 1:10 PM BST
Anybody remember the paper bag man,90 thousand to 20 on cash
no problem.

have a good day
regards
Ronnie.
Report SlippyBlue September 29, 2020 4:54 PM BST
I remember the twins very well, Hackney Saturday mornings, Selhurst Park in the afternoon and Catford dogs in the evening used to be great days. I was at Wembley one evening when I was still a teenager, circa 1983. Jenkins laid £10,000 twice to cash and didn't change the price! It got collared on the run in after looking like winning.
Report Winja September 29, 2020 6:30 PM BST
they were clever boys.....we always wanted to beat them at the wick or wembley.....as dr says....john the viking on the stool with his pony tail and great big lar-di-dar.....great memories...
Report wedge1 September 29, 2020 6:35 PM BST
men of judgement balls of steel
Report the old nanny ;-) September 29, 2020 8:25 PM BST
Showman John was , He loved it Grin
Report shiner September 29, 2020 10:30 PM BST
just a crying shame the way the game has gone
Report the old nanny ;-) September 29, 2020 11:37 PM BST
Sad
Report ronnie rails October 2, 2020 11:34 AM BST
watched all 5 enjoyed it
well worth a watch
anybody know what John is doing.

have a good day
regards
Ronnie.
Report the.mad.dog.man October 2, 2020 12:38 PM BST
how old is he
Report privatehire October 2, 2020 1:02 PM BST
Hackney wick where the phrase was coined. The edinburgh mafia.
Report Winja October 2, 2020 7:44 PM BST
i heard john was living in south africa ronnie but that is not gospel just what i heard around a year ago.......
Report ronnie rails October 2, 2020 9:24 PM BST
Winja
thank you for answer looks like he has more air miles than Judith Chalmers.
have a nice evening
regards
Ronnie.
Report The Knight October 4, 2020 1:05 PM BST
I believe that John Jenkins went on to open a chain of betting offices in Kenya, or some such African country. Don't know if he is still there today. Never one for convention, was he?
Report ronnie rails October 4, 2020 2:07 PM BST
The knight
always enjoy your posts
hope you are well
regards
Ronnie.
Report The Knight October 5, 2020 12:34 AM BST
Very well Ronnie, hope you are the same. Thank you for your kind comment. 

BUT, very frustrated at not being able to go horse racing and the Covid seems to be getting worse.

Christ only knows how a bookie would be able to stay in business if they managed their 'book' in the same way Boris and his pals are managing these Covid figures!!

BTW - for general information to all, John Jenkins had a chain of betting shops in Nigeria - not Kenya!
Report The Knight October 5, 2020 12:51 AM BST
Sorry, meant to add onto this thread.

These Simon Nott interviews are OK but sometimes seems to lack a wider knowledge some on here, including me, have about a lot of the people he interviews. I also suspect his research is a bit sketchy prior to the interview. It means the interviews start to go flat because they run out of things to say.

Simon was surprised when Tom mentioned how he used to be a teacher - I think many of us knew that, and he also failed to ask about how the Power firm were heavily involved in the business of renting videos of the racing at the Wick to punters. I think they were the first people to offer such a service. I am sure others on here recall that?

Also, had it been me doing the interview I would have asked Tom why his new Rolls Royces always looked very much the worse for wear after just a few months. I suspect Tom was a better bookie than a driver!!

Lastly, I would have had to mention the fantastic nights at the Stow after racing when his brother, John, used to come up to the Goodwood Lounge and entertain all and sundry with his tales of betting escapades. I suspect some were a little embelished, but how I miss those far away nights now.

Night, night all.
Report muzzle October 5, 2020 6:58 PM BST
what characters they were, but john was one off very funny man so many stories was racing at Wembley one night fella went up to him at 50,000 to 40,000 never flinched just said next yes and he got it beat don't make them like that now
Report the.mad.dog.man October 5, 2020 8:00 PM BST
what about the 5k bet he took at 6/1 done 30k and walk out the track
Report sparrow October 5, 2020 9:02 PM BST
I remember watching Tony Morris I think it was at Charlton dogs in the 60s having a tape recorder on his joint and taking 4 figure bets one after the other! £1000 then would be worth nearly 20k in today's money.
Report devilsadvocate October 6, 2020 9:58 AM BST

Oct 4, 2020 -- 6:51PM, The Knight wrote:

Sorry, meant to add onto this thread.These Simon Nott interviews are OK but sometimes seems to lack a wider knowledge some on here, including me, have about a lot of the people he interviews. I also suspect his research is a bit sketchy prior to the interview. It means the interviews start to go flat because they run out of things to say. Simon was surprised when Tom mentioned how he used to be a teacher - I think many of us knew that, and he also failed to ask about how the Power firm were heavily involved in the business of renting videos of the racing at the Wick to punters. I think they were the first people to offer such a service. I am sure others on here recall that? Also, had it been me doing the interview I would have asked Tom why his new Rolls Royces always looked very much the worse for wear after just a few months. I suspect Tom was a better bookie than a driver!! Lastly, I would have had to mention the fantastic nights at the Stow after racing when his brother, John, used to come up to the Goodwood Lounge and entertain all and sundry with his tales of betting escapades. I suspect some were a little embelished, but how I miss those far away nights now.Night, night all.

Ahhhh the Goodwood lounge. Many a happy hour spent there. Think there was a pianist? Also a big busty dark haired barmaid who got my teenage juices flowing !!

Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com