Forums

Greyhounds

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
cammy glasgow
23 May 20 14:21
| Topic/replies: 1,261 | Blogger: cammy glasgow's blog
Yes scurlogue did run @ shawfield i was there and bet him accordinly he was 4/5 believe it or not , am sure the track dog was voulent suzie..
i worked on the traps from 81-83 then various other jobs @ the track in the bars till 85 ran about there for over 30 years first set foot there in 1978
selling the sat evening times Watt night bthat was i was hooked into the game i loved, seen all the greats in the 80s special account , lovely pud hurdler, my mutts
Aglish Mandy stayer and my tootsie but Red Out sticks in my mind in the 510 hurdles loved that dog great memories from an oatlands boy
best bookie imo George Shaw , Angus Mcphail and of course Freddie Williams later on in the years
Woopsy was also a fav of mine anyone remember any of those good dogs
Pause Switch to Standard View scurlogue champ shawfield
Show More
Report MALAY May 23, 2020 4:28 PM BST
I remember Aglish Mandy well and the match race against  the good dog Foggy Boy at Powderhall 650, we had bet evens under 3 lengths in Edinburgh, the home runner went six, seven, clear but Mandy started to eat into his lead in the back straight and got up on the line to win, although the judge called a dead heat, we were still paid anyway.

The second leg was in Glasgow over 730 and a formality, Mandy duly obliged at 2/5.

I'm not sure scurlogue champ was as big as 4/5 that night, 4/7 was best I saw and I was in the ring at the off, and watched the race from the 500m first bend, he opened up 7s on, looked 100-1 against at halfway, obviously everybody knew his style of running but to witness it live, close up was quite extraordinary.

Volant Suzy was the top stayer in Glasgow before Mandy and raced against scurlogue.

Best track dog, level go Roses Comedy 500m, 500m handicapper Banner Black, derby dog Westmead Harry.

George and his boys great lads, they had a pitch in Dublin for a while but it didn't pay, still in Shawfield, and seemed to be busy enough on a Saturday night las time I was in Glasgow.

Fond memories of Gus McPhail, John Woods too.
Report MALAY May 23, 2020 4:37 PM BST
in fact River Valley was the best track dog, he never raced many times in shawfield, Flaherty trained him. destroyed and A1 and then disappeared.
Report garryc May 23, 2020 4:47 PM BST
i started going in 85 after my brother took me one night and was hooked instantly,never missed a meeting for more or less 10 years even the permit racing they had on monday and friday.aglish mandy was something else and best scratch dogs where jolene lobnamna emy kiltealy cadet,mr snow absolute top drawer dogs running in handicaps every week,
Report MALAY May 23, 2020 5:23 PM BST
Jo Lean was bought by Shawfield Ltd when it first reopened, in fact Old Frank owned her, she raced under Geoege Aiton's name if I remember correctly.

Lobnamana emy was top class alright.

Do you remember Bangor Bang ? I think it died in the fire at Weir's kennels.

Willie Frew ran a few good dogs too for a spell, Remmber Jazz, didnt stay, but it was a machine early.
Report garryc May 23, 2020 5:26 PM BST
yea malay remember bangor bang,had some great dogs then,ravage again used to run on the friday night permit meetings,unbelievable watching that run off a missed break,
Report privatehire May 23, 2020 5:44 PM BST
Malay hugh davies had river valley at powderhall. He was very quick. Much better dog drawn red. If memory serves george walker owned him. He also had racehorses. Massive punter. I wont name racing manager at sheffield but we could get our box there. He got red we had a few quid on for him. Geoffrey de mulder had a dog in race it was fav. Think ours was 8/1. Had the kitchen sink on. We beat geoffs dog a neck after a great buckle. They called for the owner to winning line to collect the trophy. George was pre occupied collecting the stoor.[:laugh was an easy drive back up the road. Great times.
Report MALAY May 23, 2020 8:57 PM BST
nice on private, i hope you got a few quid off him, he certainly made a lasting impression on myself in short spell in glasgow.

i'd say this must be him from greyhound data, doesn't list his races though

http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=2081602

note the brilliant skipping chick dam line close to the front of the pedigree
Report privatehire May 23, 2020 10:34 PM BST
There was a lot from that line in powderhall. Bryce wilson had lots of the citizen dogs from her line. Hugh davies who i worked for was bryce,s head man b4 going on his own.
Report cammy glasgow May 23, 2020 11:38 PM BST
Was bangor bang a black and white dog like Caltra Knock ?
Report cammy glasgow May 23, 2020 11:39 PM BST
Was bangor bang a black and white dog like Caltra Knock ?
Report MALAY May 24, 2020 8:43 AM BST
Yes he was b/w, he was the top handicapper when it reopened, another great backmarker then was Coolstuff Bobby.

Do you remember "Willie the Neck", Cammy ?

He was a punter.
Report garryc May 24, 2020 12:03 PM BST
i remember him he was usually with john calder/trevino
Report cammy glasgow May 24, 2020 11:55 PM BST
Remember trevino but not willie the NK
Denver gypsy another backmarker over 670
And the great denver flash over hurdles also the two brothers Blacklea Wit and Blacklea brae
Report icantbelieveyousaidthat May 25, 2020 8:24 AM BST
garryc, you make reference to Mr Snow above.

Coincidentally, from distant memory, that greyhound was originally owned by Ken Peckham and was the dog bought to replace/replicate Scurlogue Champ!
Report garryc May 25, 2020 12:25 PM BST
i just remember it running of the back in handicaps and doing like 30.50s over the 500m which was flying in handicaps,it was a big giant white dog,
Report cammy glasgow May 25, 2020 1:51 PM BST
On white dog i mind was star joe who beat scotts clan over 670...wat year was mr snow as i pissed off to work in holiday camps in the summer of 85 and 86 ..
Report garryc May 25, 2020 2:12 PM BST
87/88 something like that
Report cammy glasgow May 25, 2020 2:48 PM BST
Mmmm 87-88 i was back dont remember that pal
Wullie the NK was he thin with black hair moustache and help the books sometimes with bag money ...do you remember Pickles fae caslemilk had a wee bitch voulountary releith and worked for wullie gray in kennels ? Remember chichita banana winning open one night as well ..my fav 500 mtres dog i saw imo only ..SUNSTOL ..and prince bogey
Report garryc May 25, 2020 2:51 PM BST
your description is right of willie the kneck,i know pickles and his brother raymond.
Report cammy glasgow May 25, 2020 3:56 PM BST
Yes a was good friends with pickles and new raymound well and his pal Rab , me and pickles saw scurlogue at Ashfield one night think his name was Market that night ..we also went up ashfield with a wee dog bot vinnick hit the rail at the ist bend and badly injured also done whisaw with pickle with a big fawn dog Rusty ..coke was his nsme that night good memories stood in the middle of track with pickle in 1982 saw special account do 29.99 500 mtres
Report garryc May 25, 2020 4:00 PM BST
good times cammy i know rab well also from castlemilk.shawfield was a great place in 80s
Report cammy glasgow May 25, 2020 4:23 PM BST
Loved it Although i concetrate more on horse racing now as i did back in the day Rab and Raymound will tell you i had a view and had a go when i was there best night financially was in 94 derby final Droopsys sandy Amazing and Some picture was a machine Rab always called me Jaf LOL sNorman Miller called me ginger and pickles Curley ha ha ...pulled some nice birds with pickle he danced and i was the smooth operator brilliant days
Report garryc May 25, 2020 4:39 PM BST
Laughbrilliant
Report MALAY May 25, 2020 7:01 PM BST
ye that's the neck alright, was usually with Trevino, worked for Bob Thompson for a spell.

Prince Bogey went to powderhall to race when the track closed briefly Cammy

I had a pup that was sired by Blacklea wit, never seen it race was he a fast dog ?
Report MALAY May 25, 2020 7:55 PM BST
here's a greyhound question only the glasgow lads will know, Which leeds utd manager was formerly a greyhound trainer at shawfield ?
Report cammy glasgow May 25, 2020 7:56 PM BST
Prince bogeys claim to fame was beating Curryhills Tarka in a A1 They race was ran a week AFTER hare stopped Void race at 3rd bend with race at the Mercy of Curryhills Tarka same boxes next time tarka 4/7 this time though !! Clohast Ronnie was in TRAP 5 if i remeber but the winner was the Reserve Prince Bogey 6-1 i had my nuts on Tarka think that was the night jock stein took a heart attack at cardiff oct 85 ? i also went to powderhall to bet prince bogey @ 9-2 in a graded race he pished in got £60 on that night , blacklie wit was a great railer and had sum pace i remember he gave Liams Trend 3 mtres in a handicap and beat him 1984 ad think ? Trend was a great backmarker as well, me and pickle also went to powderhall to bet Blacklea Wit in an open 650 Edna Armstrong and Tony there dog beat him a NK a long train journey home that night , blacklea wit and his brother Brae wer 2 very good track dogs@ the time
but years before the 2 brothers there was blacklea Sprite another good railer , anyone remember SHARPAWAY huge big Silver Brindle dog
Report cammy glasgow May 25, 2020 7:58 PM BST
dont know that one Malay
Report cammy glasgow May 25, 2020 8:02 PM BST
Garryc are you a boy from the milk as well like Rab Raymound and Pickle ?
did you stand at the wall @ the Line with old Reg ?
Report garryc May 25, 2020 8:06 PM BST

May 25, 2020 -- 2:02PM, cammy glasgow wrote:

Garryc are you a boy from the milk as well like Rab Raymound and Pickle ?did you stand at the wall @ the Line with old Reg ?

no cammy i am just along the road from you next to st francis primary,i sent you a private message

Report MALAY May 25, 2020 8:30 PM BST
thanks for that cammy, tarka was usually unbeatable from the 1 box in A1s. Great memories.

Stevie Evans is the answer, his father in law was trainer G Morrow and he was assistant, but he held the licence himself briefly, old Frank Doonin, who saved the track with Billy and the Dunes, helped him get it.
Report cammy glasgow May 25, 2020 8:36 PM BST
Garry hope you got my message dunno if i messed it up pal, been on hear 17  years and never dun private message Ha Ha
Report garryc May 25, 2020 8:38 PM BST
got it cammy had an idea when you sent a blank messageLaugh
Report cammy glasgow May 26, 2020 6:52 PM BST
Anyone remember Bobby Jack big owner of the 1982 english derby winner Laures Panther out of unusally trap 1
he had a dog @ shawfield Round Tower Merc think it was a sprinter but did run over 4 bends a few times
Report privatehire May 26, 2020 8:02 PM BST
Cammy i think u will find he may av sold lauries panther. Laurie james if i remember correctly owned him. Terry duggan trained him. I think laurie james was scottish.
Report MALAY May 26, 2020 9:32 PM BST
Bobby jack ran all the uk sales great friend of frank doonin.
Report the bairn May 27, 2020 4:49 PM BST
does anybody remember a match race at Shawfield, a big white dog, I think it was called Catunda Flame v Chiquita Banana, over 720 yds. big Harry and his associates were giving Banana the big oi oi's down the back straight but Flame wore her down in the home straight, I wonder if big Harry ever mentions it. cheers.
Report MALAY May 27, 2020 6:10 PM BST
Don't remember it, it would have been 730 at the field though not 720. There was a few catunda dogs ran at shawfield at that time definitely it's still a well known prefix in ireland, i think it's the butchers byrne who have it. PF will know better.
Report the bairn May 27, 2020 7:18 PM BST
I knew it wasn't the 670 and didn't think it was the marathon trip, so it must have been as you say, 730, there was big money at stake and I don't think Harry and his friends could believe it when Banana got skinned, as you know Shawfield is a stamina sapper, she must have been long odds on. Billy King will surely remember the race. cheers.
Report cammy glasgow May 27, 2020 9:36 PM BST
Guys the distance wud have been 725 in those does am sure
Report MALAY May 28, 2020 7:42 AM BST
Not that it matters it was 730, decoy princess holds the track record.

A fierce trip indeed.
Report privatehire May 28, 2020 8:30 AM BST
That would be ideal trip for the mooted match btwn redzer ardfert n antigua fire. I,d walk to shawfield to c that.
Report cammy glasgow May 28, 2020 9:58 AM BST
Yes yur correct but woopsy held the track record for 725m long before decoy 45.91 i think was a long time ago though 87 a think..but yur right it dosent really matter
Report dr . atkins May 28, 2020 6:59 PM BST
i see no trials at the track will it re-open the main question
Report RothmanMike May 28, 2020 10:17 PM BST
Catunda Flame trained by Russ Kinsey.
The amazing Joe Cobbold had Decoy Princess, and would travel anywhere from his East Anglian
base .Was one of the original "have dog will travel" merchants.
Had some great greyhounds from a special era, Decoy Boom, Decoy Lynx among them, mainly staying types.
Report sparrow May 29, 2020 8:00 AM BST
Report cammy glasgow May 29, 2020 10:53 AM BST
Sparrow terrific photos m8 thanks for that brilliant
Report GLASGOWCALLING May 29, 2020 11:08 AM BST
Old Photo here ... 1939. Happy

https://www.gettyimages.ae/detail/news-photo/man-walking-his-greyhounds-down...
Report sparrow May 29, 2020 12:44 PM BST
You're welcome, cammy.
Report the bairn May 29, 2020 2:41 PM BST
sparrow brilliant photos, but you might have got one with Clyde F C playing in the centre. cheers.Excited
Report sparrow May 29, 2020 3:44 PM BST
Funny that bairn because as a youngster in London during the 50s we all had a favourite Scottish team and mine for some reason was Clyde Grin
Report smirnoff2therescue May 29, 2020 4:11 PM BST
You must have been glory hunting back then Sparrow cos Clyde won the Scottish cup in 55 and 56 WinkWinkLaugh
Report sparrow May 29, 2020 4:56 PM BST
Yes smirnoff, but I was only 8 and 9 years old. Laugh
Report MALAY May 30, 2020 2:40 PM BST
Great photos sparrow, I think it's sad that Clyde left their home. Good club.

Great info Rothman.
Report privatehire May 30, 2020 4:56 PM BST
The bully wee Laugh
Report MALAY May 30, 2020 6:41 PM BST
i can't remember when Clyde left shawfield but the dunnes were big shareholders in the football club , but frank and billy fell out quickly with the dunnes and they were gone.

Billy dislikes football (no idea whether he is green or blue) maybe because he is competing with 2 massive clubs for Glasgow's spare money.

It's all about cash for Billy, at least the track is still operating.
Report cammy glasgow May 31, 2020 7:19 PM BST
Not 100% sure but think it was 85 wen they left shawfield been out garden all day keep the posts cuming about the old days guys love it
Report sparrow June 1, 2020 6:00 PM BST
Report sparrow June 1, 2020 6:01 PM BST
1978 Scottish Derby above advert.
Report the bairn June 2, 2020 12:22 AM BST
sparrow, you'll not believe it, I had a wee bitch that won the Skol marathon at Thornton in 1979, prize money £1000, it just shows you the strength of the flapping tracks in those days, winning a flapping race got more cash than running 2nd in the Scottish derby, amazing. cheers.
Report sparrow June 2, 2020 7:48 AM BST
The bairn....although not a fan of flapping tracks I am a big supporter of marathons and a £1000 in 1979 would be worth nearly £6000 in todays money so yes a great prize.
Report 3132 June 3, 2020 11:05 PM BST
Looking at the pics it does sicken me as it looks the same now 50 years later with no investment just ageing away to ruin.

I think the place could be goldmine with Romford type facilities - reasonably priced and give people the product.

I used to love a wee dog always nearly in the last race - Popalong Fred - won a shedload of races from the back.

I had double on Scots Derby Final night - up the track with piper on Sky (Open Standard/Pups race) and won Open Standard year before - great nights.
Report cammy glasgow June 4, 2020 11:30 PM BST
Popalong fred was a great backmarker at the track remember the dog fondly. Think he was fawn with a touch of white somewere ?
Report mighty June 9, 2020 9:49 PM BST
Any news on restart?
promised my grandson I would take hin too the digs,

ave got a box of racecards FM P hall, greyhound stars & Greyhound monthly,s
if anyone wants.
Report the bairn June 10, 2020 7:34 PM BST
i'd be interested, mighty, especially the Powderhall progs. I don't think I missed many meetings from the eighties, if there were any progs. with some of our dogs that would be brilliant, the dogs ran from 1978 After Seven, 1987 Vackey Eagle ran in a heat of the Scottish derby when it was run at Powderhall,1990 Little Things a1 also ran 3rd in final Edinburgh Cup to Social Circle, Dempseys Wish and Carneys Lodge in 1990 have a wee look to see if you could find any if it is not too cheeky. thank you. cheers.Excited
Report mighty June 11, 2020 6:40 AM BST
Hi bairn I am gonna look thru them shortly
will let u know.
Report the bairn June 11, 2020 12:55 PM BST
oh well done mighty, hope their is a couple lurking. cheers.
Report mighty June 17, 2020 6:08 AM BST
Hi bairn all papers & programmes 93-96
Moral Standards derby, Scottish derby Edin cup.
One from Cleveland park 16th June when we took a dog down
had a touch @ 5/2 to a grand won 9L new track record.
the record was lowered 3 races before.
ah, the good old days.
Report mighty June 17, 2020 6:08 AM BST
Hi bairn all papers & programmes 93-96
Moral Standards derby, Scottish derby Edin cup.
One from Cleveland park 16th June when we took a dog down
had a touch @ 5/2 to a grand won 9L new track record.
the record was lowered 3 races before.
ah, the good old days.
Report the bairn June 17, 2020 5:56 PM BST
good show mighty, it's a pity our dogs ran a couple of years earlier, but it is still great to look back on the dogs that ran and see if you can still remember them, if you are still willing to get rid of some of your programmes, i'm still up for it, so as you may have guessed I live in Falkirk, if it is convenient I could come and meet up, that is if it is all right with Nicola KrankieLaughcheers.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com