Forums

Greyhounds

There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
cammy glasgow
23 May 20 14:21
| Topic/replies: 1,261 | Blogger: cammy glasgow's blog
Yes scurlogue did run @ shawfield i was there and bet him accordinly he was 4/5 believe it or not , am sure the track dog was voulent suzie..
i worked on the traps from 81-83 then various other jobs @ the track in the bars till 85 ran about there for over 30 years first set foot there in 1978
selling the sat evening times Watt night bthat was i was hooked into the game i loved, seen all the greats in the 80s special account , lovely pud hurdler, my mutts
Aglish Mandy stayer and my tootsie but Red Out sticks in my mind in the 510 hurdles loved that dog great memories from an oatlands boy
best bookie imo George Shaw , Angus Mcphail and of course Freddie Williams later on in the years
Woopsy was also a fav of mine anyone remember any of those good dogs

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  Previous 1 | 2 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 69
By:
MALAY
When: 23 May 20 15:28
I remember Aglish Mandy well and the match race against  the good dog Foggy Boy at Powderhall 650, we had bet evens under 3 lengths in Edinburgh, the home runner went six, seven, clear but Mandy started to eat into his lead in the back straight and got up on the line to win, although the judge called a dead heat, we were still paid anyway.

The second leg was in Glasgow over 730 and a formality, Mandy duly obliged at 2/5.

I'm not sure scurlogue champ was as big as 4/5 that night, 4/7 was best I saw and I was in the ring at the off, and watched the race from the 500m first bend, he opened up 7s on, looked 100-1 against at halfway, obviously everybody knew his style of running but to witness it live, close up was quite extraordinary.

Volant Suzy was the top stayer in Glasgow before Mandy and raced against scurlogue.

Best track dog, level go Roses Comedy 500m, 500m handicapper Banner Black, derby dog Westmead Harry.

George and his boys great lads, they had a pitch in Dublin for a while but it didn't pay, still in Shawfield, and seemed to be busy enough on a Saturday night las time I was in Glasgow.

Fond memories of Gus McPhail, John Woods too.
By:
MALAY
When: 23 May 20 15:37
in fact River Valley was the best track dog, he never raced many times in shawfield, Flaherty trained him. destroyed and A1 and then disappeared.
By:
garryc
When: 23 May 20 15:47
i started going in 85 after my brother took me one night and was hooked instantly,never missed a meeting for more or less 10 years even the permit racing they had on monday and friday.aglish mandy was something else and best scratch dogs where jolene lobnamna emy kiltealy cadet,mr snow absolute top drawer dogs running in handicaps every week,
By:
MALAY
When: 23 May 20 16:23
Jo Lean was bought by Shawfield Ltd when it first reopened, in fact Old Frank owned her, she raced under Geoege Aiton's name if I remember correctly.

Lobnamana emy was top class alright.

Do you remember Bangor Bang ? I think it died in the fire at Weir's kennels.

Willie Frew ran a few good dogs too for a spell, Remmber Jazz, didnt stay, but it was a machine early.
By:
garryc
When: 23 May 20 16:26
yea malay remember bangor bang,had some great dogs then,ravage again used to run on the friday night permit meetings,unbelievable watching that run off a missed break,
By:
privatehire
When: 23 May 20 16:44
Malay hugh davies had river valley at powderhall. He was very quick. Much better dog drawn red. If memory serves george walker owned him. He also had racehorses. Massive punter. I wont name racing manager at sheffield but we could get our box there. He got red we had a few quid on for him. Geoffrey de mulder had a dog in race it was fav. Think ours was 8/1. Had the kitchen sink on. We beat geoffs dog a neck after a great buckle. They called for the owner to winning line to collect the trophy. George was pre occupied collecting the stoor.[:laugh was an easy drive back up the road. Great times.
By:
MALAY
When: 23 May 20 19:57
nice on private, i hope you got a few quid off him, he certainly made a lasting impression on myself in short spell in glasgow.

i'd say this must be him from greyhound data, doesn't list his races though

http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=2081602

note the brilliant skipping chick dam line close to the front of the pedigree
By:
privatehire
When: 23 May 20 21:34
There was a lot from that line in powderhall. Bryce wilson had lots of the citizen dogs from her line. Hugh davies who i worked for was bryce,s head man b4 going on his own.
By:
cammy glasgow
When: 23 May 20 22:38
Was bangor bang a black and white dog like Caltra Knock ?
By:
cammy glasgow
When: 23 May 20 22:39
Was bangor bang a black and white dog like Caltra Knock ?
By:
MALAY
When: 24 May 20 07:43
Yes he was b/w, he was the top handicapper when it reopened, another great backmarker then was Coolstuff Bobby.

Do you remember "Willie the Neck", Cammy ?

He was a punter.
By:
garryc
When: 24 May 20 11:03
i remember him he was usually with john calder/trevino
By:
cammy glasgow
When: 24 May 20 22:55
Remember trevino but not willie the NK
Denver gypsy another backmarker over 670
And the great denver flash over hurdles also the two brothers Blacklea Wit and Blacklea brae
By:
icantbelieveyousaidthat
When: 25 May 20 07:24
garryc, you make reference to Mr Snow above.

Coincidentally, from distant memory, that greyhound was originally owned by Ken Peckham and was the dog bought to replace/replicate Scurlogue Champ!
By:
garryc
When: 25 May 20 11:25
i just remember it running of the back in handicaps and doing like 30.50s over the 500m which was flying in handicaps,it was a big giant white dog,
By:
cammy glasgow
When: 25 May 20 12:51
On white dog i mind was star joe who beat scotts clan over 670...wat year was mr snow as i pissed off to work in holiday camps in the summer of 85 and 86 ..
By:
garryc
When: 25 May 20 13:12
87/88 something like that
By:
cammy glasgow
When: 25 May 20 13:48
Mmmm 87-88 i was back dont remember that pal
Wullie the NK was he thin with black hair moustache and help the books sometimes with bag money ...do you remember Pickles fae caslemilk had a wee bitch voulountary releith and worked for wullie gray in kennels ? Remember chichita banana winning open one night as well ..my fav 500 mtres dog i saw imo only ..SUNSTOL ..and prince bogey
By:
garryc
When: 25 May 20 13:51
your description is right of willie the kneck,i know pickles and his brother raymond.
By:
cammy glasgow
When: 25 May 20 14:56
Yes a was good friends with pickles and new raymound well and his pal Rab , me and pickles saw scurlogue at Ashfield one night think his name was Market that night ..we also went up ashfield with a wee dog bot vinnick hit the rail at the ist bend and badly injured also done whisaw with pickle with a big fawn dog Rusty ..coke was his nsme that night good memories stood in the middle of track with pickle in 1982 saw special account do 29.99 500 mtres
By:
garryc
When: 25 May 20 15:00
good times cammy i know rab well also from castlemilk.shawfield was a great place in 80s
By:
cammy glasgow
When: 25 May 20 15:23
Loved it Although i concetrate more on horse racing now as i did back in the day Rab and Raymound will tell you i had a view and had a go when i was there best night financially was in 94 derby final Droopsys sandy Amazing and Some picture was a machine Rab always called me Jaf LOL sNorman Miller called me ginger and pickles Curley ha ha ...pulled some nice birds with pickle he danced and i was the smooth operator brilliant days
By:
garryc
When: 25 May 20 15:39
Laughbrilliant
By:
MALAY
When: 25 May 20 18:01
ye that's the neck alright, was usually with Trevino, worked for Bob Thompson for a spell.

Prince Bogey went to powderhall to race when the track closed briefly Cammy

I had a pup that was sired by Blacklea wit, never seen it race was he a fast dog ?
By:
MALAY
When: 25 May 20 18:55
here's a greyhound question only the glasgow lads will know, Which leeds utd manager was formerly a greyhound trainer at shawfield ?
By:
cammy glasgow
When: 25 May 20 18:56
Prince bogeys claim to fame was beating Curryhills Tarka in a A1 They race was ran a week AFTER hare stopped Void race at 3rd bend with race at the Mercy of Curryhills Tarka same boxes next time tarka 4/7 this time though !! Clohast Ronnie was in TRAP 5 if i remeber but the winner was the Reserve Prince Bogey 6-1 i had my nuts on Tarka think that was the night jock stein took a heart attack at cardiff oct 85 ? i also went to powderhall to bet prince bogey @ 9-2 in a graded race he pished in got £60 on that night , blacklie wit was a great railer and had sum pace i remember he gave Liams Trend 3 mtres in a handicap and beat him 1984 ad think ? Trend was a great backmarker as well, me and pickle also went to powderhall to bet Blacklea Wit in an open 650 Edna Armstrong and Tony there dog beat him a NK a long train journey home that night , blacklea wit and his brother Brae wer 2 very good track dogs@ the time
but years before the 2 brothers there was blacklea Sprite another good railer , anyone remember SHARPAWAY huge big Silver Brindle dog
By:
cammy glasgow
When: 25 May 20 18:58
dont know that one Malay
By:
cammy glasgow
When: 25 May 20 19:02
Garryc are you a boy from the milk as well like Rab Raymound and Pickle ?
did you stand at the wall @ the Line with old Reg ?
By:
garryc
When: 25 May 20 19:06

May 25, 2020 -- 2:02PM, cammy glasgow wrote:

Garryc are you a boy from the milk as well like Rab Raymound and Pickle ?did you stand at the wall @ the Line with old Reg ?

no cammy i am just along the road from you next to st francis primary,i sent you a private message

By:
MALAY
When: 25 May 20 19:30
thanks for that cammy, tarka was usually unbeatable from the 1 box in A1s. Great memories.

Stevie Evans is the answer, his father in law was trainer G Morrow and he was assistant, but he held the licence himself briefly, old Frank Doonin, who saved the track with Billy and the Dunes, helped him get it.
By:
cammy glasgow
When: 25 May 20 19:36
Garry hope you got my message dunno if i messed it up pal, been on hear 17  years and never dun private message Ha Ha
By:
garryc
When: 25 May 20 19:38
got it cammy had an idea when you sent a blank messageLaugh
By:
cammy glasgow
When: 26 May 20 17:52
Anyone remember Bobby Jack big owner of the 1982 english derby winner Laures Panther out of unusally trap 1
he had a dog @ shawfield Round Tower Merc think it was a sprinter but did run over 4 bends a few times
By:
privatehire
When: 26 May 20 19:02
Cammy i think u will find he may av sold lauries panther. Laurie james if i remember correctly owned him. Terry duggan trained him. I think laurie james was scottish.
By:
MALAY
When: 26 May 20 20:32
Bobby jack ran all the uk sales great friend of frank doonin.
By:
the bairn
When: 27 May 20 15:49
does anybody remember a match race at Shawfield, a big white dog, I think it was called Catunda Flame v Chiquita Banana, over 720 yds. big Harry and his associates were giving Banana the big oi oi's down the back straight but Flame wore her down in the home straight, I wonder if big Harry ever mentions it. cheers.
By:
MALAY
When: 27 May 20 17:10
Don't remember it, it would have been 730 at the field though not 720. There was a few catunda dogs ran at shawfield at that time definitely it's still a well known prefix in ireland, i think it's the butchers byrne who have it. PF will know better.
By:
the bairn
When: 27 May 20 18:18
I knew it wasn't the 670 and didn't think it was the marathon trip, so it must have been as you say, 730, there was big money at stake and I don't think Harry and his friends could believe it when Banana got skinned, as you know Shawfield is a stamina sapper, she must have been long odds on. Billy King will surely remember the race. cheers.
By:
cammy glasgow
When: 27 May 20 20:36
Guys the distance wud have been 725 in those does am sure
Page 1 of 2  •  Previous 1 | 2 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo