Forums

Greyhounds

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Crawford
02 May 20 12:32
| Topic/replies: 1,526 | Blogger: Crawford's blog
Good to see, in the absence of Pom dog racing, PROPER dog racing from Australia.  8 traps not 6, fixed traps not lifted out of the way, proper circuits, and three or more race distances.  No wonder dog racing is dying over here, i'd forgotten in my 30-odd years over here how much better dog racing in Australia was and is!
Pause Switch to Standard View Aussie dog racing
Show More
Report MALAY May 2, 2020 11:53 AM BST
It's in a bad way in Australia too I think, the four corners documentary was a disaster for the sport, 100 times worse than the RTE documentary, was it not banned totally in certain states ?

8 dog racing not for me, terrible atmosphere at the tracks, no betting ring although that is compensated by the tote money going back into prize money.

It's a difficult one but I think a lot of us were drawn to the sport by the characters in punting, taking on the bookmakers with readies.

Flapping would never have existed ever on tote betting monopoly. It would have been pointless.
Report dr . atkins May 2, 2020 12:19 PM BST
great tracks i agree 8 dog racing not for me love the fact can be drawn 8 and next race in red
Report thedodgepot May 2, 2020 12:24 PM BST
Trap draws huge. Was a heats and final at the track I’m following. In the heats a dog won out of trap 1, beating a nice dog who was drawn out wide. Went off slight fav out of 1. Won fair and square. In final the draws were reversed and the runner up running from 1 went off 7/4 ish and the heat winner 14. Wouldn’t happen over here.
Report ItsMeSwaddle May 2, 2020 12:40 PM BST
Yeah I agree with all said the only thing I find worse is no staying dogs, have to be in the front to win the races unlikely grading over here youve got a sniff from anywhere.
Report Ell May 2, 2020 1:30 PM BST
Never took a lot of notice until now.
Was watching a 400m graded race at Warragul and the time came up as 22.80.
I thought that was a bit quick, then found out that the track was 600m in circumference.
I wonder what an Aussie dog would make of Romford ?.
Report casemoney May 2, 2020 3:19 PM BST
I believe some of the trainers using Live piglets as hares ,has not done them much favours ...
Report MALAY May 3, 2020 8:27 PM BST
case
that was the "four corners" documentary i referred to, it's unfortunately still in the spotlight as the bad cnunts that done it didn't take their punishment and constantly appealed despite being caught bang to rights.
it was a horrific programme.
Report the bairn May 4, 2020 12:38 AM BST
was Towcester not designed similar to the Australian tracks, it was demonised by some people. cheers.
Report Crawford May 4, 2020 12:08 PM BST
Not really viz TOASTER, but at least with the Tote you get proper funds funnelled back into racing via purses and prizemoney whereas the dog track here are all owned by the bookies. 

And since when has there been any kind of atmosphere at GB tracks?  I remember the old Southend track that used to get great crowds on a TThursday night even as recently as the 80s, but nowadays they could run behind closed doors and that would hardly matter.

And on draws, you people don't know what you're talking about!  The four start traps are to the outside so if the dog has enough early it can get in front.  Wouldn't want to back trap 8 over 325m but over 400-odd and 500-odd, pas de problem!
Report RothmanMike May 4, 2020 8:03 PM BST
I agree they are streets ahead on presentation and information.
However all tracks have inside hare, and much easier to maintain I would think
And all the traps are off track, like Slough,Portsmouth, Southend (and many others) used to be.
Wonder why they changed in the UK.
Suppose it was the type of hare we adopted, with the rail, and associated problems.
Report Thegamestraightlol May 4, 2020 8:50 PM BST
Great racing in Aus really enjoying it -not to many dodges and draw allocation is struggle.
Report casemoney May 5, 2020 12:34 AM BST
Yes that was it MALAY dreadful , but the racing is well organized and good prize money
Report MALAY May 5, 2020 7:58 AM BST
I've been a few times in WA, IMO you are better off in the boozer punting on TAB there.

I did see the great bitch Miata make her winning debut in Cannington, and a few better races later on.

They are definitely fast dogs there, well maintained tracks, and the tote v bookies is always going to be an argument regarding racing funding and overall sport attraction.

I'd say Ted has made millions from Shelbourne but he is part of the attraction, the UK punters love the Dublin atmosphere, and in the good old days he would always give people a chance of getting money on even in pups race.

Would a tote monopoly if implemented during Celtic tiger saved Irish racing ? Don't think so.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com