Forums

Greyhounds

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
casemoney
15 Apr 20 17:09
| Topic/replies: 33,220 | Blogger: casemoney's blog
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WALTHAMSTOW-STADIUM-GENUINE-RUBBER-BACKED-CARPET-approx-6x4

£275.00 Shocked

I know times are hard , But cutting up the front room carpet and knocking it out on Ebay ,as Stow carpet  Laugh

10/11 Each of  two Eyeball  and Stowhound
Pause Switch to Standard View OK who is it ??
Show More
Report casemoney April 15, 2020 4:36 PM BST
WALTHAMSTOW STADIUM GENUINE RUBBER BACKED CARPET approx 6x4.

I am selling a lot of my fantastic Greyhound Racing Memorabilia which I have collected religiously over the years.

This is a Genuine Walthamstow Stadium Rubber Backed Carpet approx 6x4 ft.

Brilliant Condition for a carpet.

Too Good and rare to walk on needs to be a fantastic wall hanger

Been in my loft since I bought

Laugh
Report sparrow April 15, 2020 4:40 PM BST
Not as good a quality as my Park Royal/Axminster from my attic and in pristine condition.
Report casemoney April 15, 2020 4:41 PM BST
also on offer by the same Seller

Bespoke House Of Harlot Black & Yellow Short & Bra M Fetish Kink Bondage Erotica Laugh

RARE Group One Secretariat Stakes Flat Horse AIDEN O’BRIEN RACING Exercise Cloth. Dispatched with Royal Mail 1st Class Large Letter.

might need to add a few others to the Market  Grin
Report casemoney April 15, 2020 4:42 PM BST
LOL sparrow , after a close look at one of the below  Items

I am adding JK to betting Laugh
Report casemoney April 15, 2020 4:46 PM BST
The basterds closed the city with no announcement on the Thurs , the place would have been emptied on the saturday night Sad
Report sparrow April 15, 2020 4:53 PM BST
Unfortunately, I was in Yorkshire when they closed Clapton and can't recall where I was when Leeds closed. Let me know if anything turns up on ebay or a local car boot sale.
Report casemoney April 15, 2020 6:01 PM BST
Usually a few Bits for Clacton on there sparrow , mainly programmes ,Ill keep an eye out ..
Report sparrow April 15, 2020 6:18 PM BST
Clapton case but certainly not Clacton

But as you mentioned Clacton.................

There is only a handful of greyhound tracks that have found themselves situated very close to the sea, the one described in this chapter is one of those, that being of the Clacton Greyhound Stadium, which lay within 100 yards of the North Sea. Clacton-on-Sea is a very popular seaside holiday resort in Essex, attracting many holiday makers from the South East of England and London too. The actual venue lay on Old Road, a site situated just north of the town, and at around the turn of the 20th century the venue was being used for cricket, but soon it was to switch sports, when Clacton Football Club made it their home in 1906. As time gathered the Old Road Ground began to expand and develop, with the actual playing pitch being repositioned on more than one occasion. It had been at the council’s request to move the pitch, mainly to accommodate the space needed for the towns Seaside Coach Park, but no further upheavals took place after 1935. In 1944 the football club attracted its record attendance, when 7,000 fans attended a friendly match against Clapton Orient, although it was a good crowd, it was still way short of capacity. By 1950 the capacity had been vastly reduced to just 5,000, a figure adequate enough to cope with all crowds at the time. The nine acre site was council owned, with football mainly filling the annual sporting calendar, but in 1967 The Old Road Ground witnessed something of a change. It was the intervening of a group of Greyhound Racing enthusiasts, who persuaded the football clubs committee to lay a track around the perimeter of the football pitch. Hopeing that Greyhound Racing would become financially beneficial to the club, the offer was accepted, only to the dismay of the clubs football supporters, claiming that a good deal of the terracing would be lost behind each goal mouth, to compensate for the tracks bends. The new circuit had been designed as a wide galloping track, and was illuminated with modern Tungsten type track lighting, with seventy portable kennels made available, plus the installation of an outside Sumner type hare. Although unofficial meetings had taken place previously, Clacton’s inaugural meeting came on the 5th of July 1967, when 1800 racegoers attended an evening meeting. It opened up as a flapping track, and ran six dog races over distances of 240, 450, 600 and 800 metres. Its big race attractions were The Essex Greyhound Derby along with The Clacton Collar, run annually in October. Although originally a grass covered circuit, in time Clacton did switch to an all silicon sanded track. In 1984 The Greyhound Company accepted an invitation to stage events under NGRC rules, by operating under the permit license scheme, but by February 1986 decided to switch back to flapping, due to a sunstantial fall in attendances and also complaints from local owners. Dissapointingly, attendances continued to fall, not just at Greyhound Racing but at football matches too, and with little spare cash available, the condition of the stadium began to dwindle. In 1985 the council made a decision to sell the stadium, its large site and car park had become a target for the developers, mainly due to its close proximity not just the sea, but to the town centre also. One sad feature was that dismantling of the main stand began before the stadium actually closed, and after 81 years of football at The Old Road Ground, Clacton Football Club played their final match against Lowestoft on the 21st of February 1987. Six days later it was the turn of Greyhound Racing, who finally brought down the curtain at the stadium, with Clacton staging its final meeting on the 27th of February 1987. Anything beneficial was removed before the stadium was soon bulldozed, which left no evidence at all of a sports stadium ever having been there. Today, The Water Glade Retail Park has become the base for a number of well known stores, such as Safeways, Iceland, Harveys, Halfords and Texas, just to name a few. The football team eventually settled at a new venue called Rush Green Bowl, but not once was there a mention of Greyhound Racing ever joining them.
Report casemoney April 15, 2020 7:43 PM BST
LOL I always put the c in Grin
Report casemoney April 15, 2020 7:51 PM BST
Really don't know why Tracks are not Built around Pitches , spec in Lower division football , giving a double angle of Business

They had the chance to do that with the don , Something about the footie fans being further away from the Pitch

It never caused a problem at Wembley ... Maybe when we return to a Different World such shyte won't matter any more....
Report sparrow April 15, 2020 8:03 PM BST
Or even Stamford Bridge and my old track at Clapton had the Orient playing there for quite a while in the 30s being Clapton Orient back then.
Report casemoney April 16, 2020 12:46 AM BST
YES , I suggest going forward the Idea is considered ....
Report Ell April 16, 2020 2:01 AM BST
I'm tired of walking upstairs, you haven't got the escalator on the expensive side ?, by any chance.
Report Ell April 16, 2020 2:06 AM BST
Alternatively, maybe you've got some carpet from Wimbledon cheapside circa 1985.
It was that sticky that you could walk on the ceiling.
Report casemoney April 16, 2020 2:28 AM BST
LOL , I was always the escalator Side Forgot about that TBH , your right about the Carpet Don was always flooding as well
Report Winja April 16, 2020 10:40 AM BST
i have one of the wc pans from the don...….free to a good home but i have to warn the enormous richard is still lodged solid.....
Report casemoney April 16, 2020 6:00 PM BST
I was just about to have my Tea Cry
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com