Forums

Greyhounds

There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
hillcrest
16 Aug 18 07:29
| Topic/replies: 432 | Blogger: hillcrest's blog

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 1 of 4  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 125
By:
p_r_e_m_i_e_r__f_a_n_t_a_s_y
When: 16 Aug 18 07:34
Shocked

What you heard?
By:
hillcrest
When: 16 Aug 18 07:41
pf u have mail
By:
Deepdale Dreamer
When: 16 Aug 18 07:58
Seems to have gone into administration last night. Sad news if true. Would be nice if the Racing Post could get up to date with a story on their website either way.
By:
go racing
When: 16 Aug 18 08:06
Hobbs will be scrambling round looking for jobs to make up the shortfall. Lost Sky and now his **** hotshots. Falling well  behind Darryl in shifts. Maybe painting fences instead of sitting on em’?
By:
go racing
When: 16 Aug 18 08:09
Very sad as imo they done most things right, except dig the track up. Yet another fail in Hesketh’s business portfolio
By:
irishone
When: 16 Aug 18 08:28
Never had a chance
Location location location basic rule of business
Said it at the time
Coventry failed milton keynes failed
Hesketh more money than sense
By:
FATTIEWHITEYSLOVEADRINK
When: 16 Aug 18 08:35
Trainers owners got feel sorry for
The lord be ok
Not a lot you can say very sad news
By:
garryc
When: 16 Aug 18 09:06
sad sad news but we all new it wasnt making any money and lord hesketh could only support it so much,what a terrible state the greyhound games in ,what nextSad
By:
Winja
When: 16 Aug 18 09:09
looks like trainers were informed by email....apparently may be the whole shebang horses as well.....no matter on your opinion of then track this is desperate news for greyhounds...trainers.....owners....the sport.....such a shame......hope there may be a rescue package available......
By:
privatehire
When: 16 Aug 18 09:22
There may well be winja but it will av to be quick. Moves no doubt being made already by other tracks to get trainers signed up. It's a dreadful situation. I don't think a lot of people on here are surprised tho.
By:
Captain carnage
When: 16 Aug 18 09:37
Aint half some craap spoken on sad occasions like this.
Location got between 0-0.02% of the reason.

Wimbledon/Stow and all other London tracks had 20mill+ close by and all failed.

They needed a big media rights deal. They wanted to keep free from bookmaker control which is admirable but
couldn't make it pay without.

They could have sold out and tried to get in with SIS.
By:
sparrow
When: 16 Aug 18 10:00
Towcester ceases racing as business faces administration
BY JONATHAN KAY 8:49AM 16 AUG 2018

GREYHOUND racing is in shock following news that Towcester, home of the Greyhound Derby and viewed as the sport's flagship venue, was going into administration with all future activities cancelled with immediate effect.

Trainers and staff were informed late on Wednesday night via email with racing manager Chris Page saying on Thursday morning: "The first I knew of it was when the groundsman told me Thursday's trials had been cancelled.

"On querying why I was told of the [administration] news so I set about letting trainers know as soon as possible.

"I received a phone call from Kevin Ackerman [chief executive] this morning at 7.37am informing me that the family shareholders and minority shareholders had decided not to further fund Towcester Racecourse. He had been working up to late Wednesday trying to put a rescue package in place but administrators were appointed.

"At this stage I am not sure whether the administrators are trying to find a new company to run the business or whether the whole site is up for sale.

"I know of at least one rescue package which is being drawn up to run the track on a more business-like footing, however with the current shortage of greyhounds due to excess racing I'm sure trainers will be offered alternative tracks to race at sooner rather than later.

"The speed of this decision was as much of a surprise to me as I'm sure it was for you, however the decision itself does not surprise me."

A company statement said: "Towcester Racecourse Company Limited, proprietors of Towcester Racecourse, are currently experiencing trading difficulties and are in discussions with key stakeholders and professional advisors on the way forward. However, the directors have concluded that they have no alternative in the short-term but to seek court protection and are now taking steps to place the company into Administration."As a result, it is with regret that the greyhound meetings on this Friday and over the weekend at Towcester Racecourse have been cancelled.

"Whilst inevitably there will be considerable interest from customers, supporters and suppliers, the directors ask that they be given time to focus on exploring other options for the business and they anticipate there will be a further update in the next few days.

"The directors remain hopeful that despite the current situation, given the significant history of horseracing and more recently greyhound racing at Towcester, there will be significant interest from potential acquirers.

"Due to the financial difficulties referred to above, the majority of employees will be laid off with immediate effect pending formal appointment of Administrators. Members of the management team will be contacting full time employees during the course of this morning to explain the current situation in more detail, but in the meantime all employees are requested not to attend the racecourse site today."

In a personal statement to staff, Towcester chairman Lord Hesketh said: "Towcester has been my life for over 60 years. That would not have been possible without the unique contribution that each and every one of us has made.

"The very sad decision that the board of directors has made is, I believe, the surest way to find a solution that ensures a future for Towcester Racecourse.

"For the sadness this day brings, I shall always regret most that it was not we who were allowed to realise the enormous potential of this racecourse.

"I hope I shall have the honour of working with you all again and I give my heartfelt thanks to each of you."

GBGB managing director Mark Bird said: "As of 9am we have not been officially informed of the situation at Towcester and are endeavouring to clarify the position.

"Clearly our main focus will be on ensuring the welfare of the greyhounds based at the track, along with the trainers involved."
By:
wondersobright
When: 16 Aug 18 10:26
sad news if true but nobody can say they are surprised if this is confirmed true

the gaff has been losing ridiculous amount of money week after week after week since opening

for all its faults with the running track, the location, the viewing etc, the biggest problem with it is the airy fairy business plans and the lack of commercial sense of the people running the place
By:
wondersobright
When: 16 Aug 18 10:37
showing as meeting abandoned now on greyhoundbet
By:
xmoneyx
When: 16 Aug 18 10:39
where's the nearest dog track to towcester
By:
wondersobright
When: 16 Aug 18 10:45
peterborough or perry barr
By:
xmoneyx
When: 16 Aug 18 10:50
thx
By:
eyeball
When: 16 Aug 18 12:05
The moment they shut Walthamstow the game was finished
By:
privatehire
When: 16 Aug 18 12:06
First thing all the firm's need to stop betting on 2019 derby as we don't know wer it's gona be
By:
sparrow
When: 16 Aug 18 12:07
The rot began long before Walthamstow when Clapton closed in the early 70s.
By:
woodmanchester
When: 16 Aug 18 12:09
Is it me or don't many horse racing courses close these days? Greyhound racing surely couldn't have been hindering Towcester but don't think people realise just how significant it is for dog racing

Supposed flagship and new home to the Derby gone, as briefly as it was there

Never mind all the funds needed for a rescue package. Sure the Lord wouldn't have to stomp up much to get nearby Coventry up and running, if he really cares about greyhound racing?
By:
eyeball
When: 16 Aug 18 12:11
How can a track in the middle of nowhere generate enough money to survive ?
By:
irishone
When: 16 Aug 18 12:15
Greyhound racing thrived in the big cities
State of the art course in the middle of nowhere …. think the Victorians called it a folly
By:
xmoneyx
When: 16 Aug 18 12:21
powderhall edinburgh closing killed east coast scotland dogs
By:
SlippyBlue
When: 16 Aug 18 12:25

Aug 16, 2018 -- 6:05AM, eyeball wrote:

The moment they shut Walthamstow the game was finished

I completely agree with that sentiment eyeball, when Walthamstow closed that pretty much done for me ever owning a dog again. Nowadays, I go to Hove maybe 4 or 5 times a year for a meal and a night out but that's about it really. At one stage I was going to upto 200 meetings a year.

By:
privatehire
When: 16 Aug 18 12:32
Wallis now a henlow trainer. Official.
By:
xmoneyx
When: 16 Aug 18 12:35
walthanstow closing -- massive sad
By:
Ravage Again
When: 16 Aug 18 12:42
I do not understand why it losing so much money compared with other greyhound tracks

Did it not get the TV rights money for all it's meetings as the other tracks do

The only difference to other tracks

Is free admission
And I guess a rather large heating bill compared with smaller tracks

What makes it different to hove monmore or say Newcastle

Also it Towcester not getting a massive 8 fog racing contract for the Asian market?

I heard it was in the bag Laugh

Poor Hobsie he must be gutted no sky dogs no Towcester

Have to start erecting fences again and testing structural soundness of said fences Silly

At least the greyhound derby might got to a track that produces fair and competitive racing in which dogs can come from behind ie 4th 5th or 6th position at the first bend Cool
By:
p_r_e_m_i_e_r__f_a_n_t_a_s_y
When: 16 Aug 18 12:48
They had the bloody chuckle brothers running the place, was hardly ideal
By:
irishone
When: 16 Aug 18 12:53
LaughLaughLaughLaugh
By:
wondersobright
When: 16 Aug 18 13:18
PF knows
By:
Captain carnage
When: 16 Aug 18 13:41
SIS contract for 4 meets a week at £12k a pop = £2.5mill income.

Having Towcester magically transferred to somewhere were they get 200 more punters in a night =
2x200x£10 = £200k a year.
By:
Captain carnage
When: 16 Aug 18 13:42
Sports thrive off media/TV rights deals.

The punters are just filling stadiums and contributing to the christmas party.
By:
ONSLOW1974
When: 16 Aug 18 13:58
Get Oxford re-opened!!
By:
dr . atkins
When: 16 Aug 18 14:11
sorry but anybody surprised that towcester come to an end its just come to an end before i thought it would
By:
irishone
When: 16 Aug 18 14:13
I remember you being derided for being a miserable fecker when you predicted its failure doc
By:
ONSLOW1974
When: 16 Aug 18 14:21
Monday - Harringay or Wembley
Tuesday- Stow
Wednesday- Harringay or Rye House
Thursday- Stow or Milton Keynes or Reading
Friday - Harringay or Wembley
Saturday - Stow

25/30 years ago.
Game done & dusted move on boys!! FINISHED
By:
privatehire
When: 16 Aug 18 14:22
American football September thank fack.
By:
dr . atkins
When: 16 Aug 18 14:31
but don't worry the good old lord will be ok because he's a toff and they never get the blame but really he's a chancer like del boy whos been found out for selling the family silver
Page 1 of 4  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com