Forums

Greyhounds

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
PD
17 Nov 09 08:06
| Topic/replies: 109 | Blogger: PD's blog
A very disappointing turn-out at Notts for the Eclipse heats. And before you start bleating on about betting margins and any other excuse for not going, this was one of the best nights racing of the year and I really thought that real dog folk would have made the effort ! True, it was on SIS and covered by Betfaiir but so is the Cheltenham Festival, Royal Ascot etc etc and they are always packed to the seams.
Nottingham is modern, comfortable and always attracts top class hounds. Surely betting isn't the be all and end all of the game is it ? Where were the true fans ? Even if betting is the sole motive for some, they could have brought along their laptops and filled the likes of Bill Hill and Betfred in before coming along but for God's sake, get off your arses and support meetings like this !!

I'm off for a short break now - Have fun you apathetic lot !!
Pause Switch to Standard View Where were the "real dog people" ?
Show More
Report SUNDERLAND GREYHOUND EXPERT November 17, 2009 8:09 AM GMT
there is a recession at the moment you know!!!!!!!!
Report CUPRA November 17, 2009 8:28 AM GMT
Thats the way nowdadays isnt it? My personal circumstances have changed but, yes, my apathy in attending is certainly on the increase.

No excuses bud, none at all.
Report wolsey end November 17, 2009 8:53 AM GMT
i used to go stow opens on thursday, romford opens on friday - even if i didnt have runners.

ive been to hove a couple of times, romford once or twice this yr. and its got nothing to do with the recession. ive sold or retired nearly all my dogs - down to my last 2 and half runners now. and i wont be getting any more unless something dramatic happens to the sport so that it changes for the better.

great sport run by morons and crooks. the latest, greatest idea by the GBGB - 10k is to be given to the p0nce, sorry person the GBGB see as the sports future, who downloads the millionth 1p meal deal voucher.
Report CUPRA November 17, 2009 8:55 AM GMT
wolsey - how do you see a change happening? and in your ideal world, whats the next few vital changes that need to be made?
Report CUPRA November 17, 2009 8:58 AM GMT
I thought about getting a runner in my young sons honour - a dog he could follow, walk on Sundays, see at the van after the race etc. But, as you say, why? I've been tucked up enough times, seen other owners get rid of dogs they could have had repaired, treated like an idiot going to other tracks as an owner, it has little appeal at the moment.
Report PD November 17, 2009 8:59 AM GMT
I haven't gone away yet !!!

Sunderland, I know there is a recession but that is not the reason for the non attendances at top greyhound meetings. Take football, for example. The recent top class game at Sunderland against Liverpool drew a capacity crowd. Is the recession over up there then ???
Do you get my drift ??
Report CUPRA November 17, 2009 9:03 AM GMT
PD, appeal, the game has to get appeal across to the public. Not just a quid for two-day old scampi, get people involved in the racing properly. people support football clubs, know all about the players, watch vital matches with a real target at the end. The public need to know about the dogs - there are enough with a 'personality', the sport still needs rid of its image that its cruel, and that 'all' owners put dogs down after their racing days. It is the only way, there are simply not enough 'real' dog people for the entire industry to survive.
Report PD November 17, 2009 9:03 AM GMT
I would be interested to hear peoples' views as to how to decrease the apathy and increase the attendances of real dog folk at tracks.
Report CUPRA November 17, 2009 9:04 AM GMT
PD, I was a 5-a-week Open race attendee. I had dogs at Sittingb where I travelled miles each week. Before that I took a cab,train, and cab again to visit my ** at a trainer on a Sunday who was frikin miles away.

tell me what I got in return?
Report PD November 17, 2009 9:05 AM GMT
Excellent point Cupra but are you saying the game has effectively "gone" or can the people who really care do something to rescue it ?
Report PD November 17, 2009 9:06 AM GMT
Alas, you got very little in return, I know but its very frustrating when genuine guys like you lose their enthusiasm to such an extent. What can we do ?
Report CUPRA November 17, 2009 9:07 AM GMT
I dont have any of the figures in front of me, PD. Nor do I profess to be the greatset accountant in the world. But, if an age where you can contact a million people by the touch of one 'send' button, Im sure things can be done.

I dunno, have a cracking meeting on a Sunday afternoon, team it with the Great Greyhound Gathering, make it free, put on kids entertainment, let them meet the dogs, offer up freebies. Thers a lot of money wasted on rubbish, use it.
Report CUPRA November 17, 2009 9:08 AM GMT
PD, I live 10 mins from Romford, and have been there once in two years. As I say, with a baby, it changes things, but the place was nothing like I remember it, and made little appeal to return other than have a fun night out costing a score or whatever.
Report The Weaver November 17, 2009 9:11 AM GMT
In terms of attendences, the only way I can see tracks surviving is to offer a better pub or restaurant type environment and have the greyhound racing as secondary. As much as it pains me to say it that seems to be the only way to survive. Young people today have too many options of an evening. Look at what Darren K done at Wdon with his Aussie nights, Harlow with their poker nights etc etc. That way you hope a % of the pub / restaurant goers take a liking to the dogs themselves / gambling side of the sport.
Report PD November 17, 2009 9:12 AM GMT
Interesting swapping views with you Cupra but I really must be off now or I'll miss my flight. Will catch up on Friday. Hope nobody sabotages this thread in the meanwhile (as usually happens !) as it could lead to something positive - Be lucky !
Report wolsey end November 17, 2009 9:39 AM GMT
cupra - sort the GBGB out for starters. get people in charge who have some new decent ideas and who wont be bookies wh0res.
get the GBGB to start buying up tracks - thus guaranteeing the sports future.

the people that run this sport are pretty incompetent - remember the GRA bloke who came on the tv when they announced the wrong winner in a foto finish (was it bob rowe?). scruffy, rude and he came across as ignorant and arrogant. if he wasnt earning a fortune with the GRA, what would he be doing? traffic warden? on the tills at tescos? seriously - would u employ him? i wouldnt trust him to look after a goldfish - yet he is 1 of the top blokes of the GRA.

ive got 2 and half dogs left. 1 open racer and 1 and half graders at wimbledon - a GRA track. they aint rubbish - both a1/a2. 6-8 runs a month, and say i get 2 wins a month. my prize money = about 150 quid per dog. my kennel bill is 7 quid a day plus vat per dog. u do the math and tell me why i should bother owning dogs?
Report CUPRA November 17, 2009 9:55 AM GMT
Bob Rowe? gets on well with the monied owners apparently.

As do most trainers.

Allegedly.
Report CUPRA November 17, 2009 10:29 AM GMT
Create a mega jackpot prize, available in betting shops, and even in newsagens a la lottery.
Report sportsjudge November 17, 2009 10:34 AM GMT
Instead of wasting money on the 1p meal deal, get the GBGB to purchase a top class young dog and donate it to a high profile Charity - perhaps via a TV show, worked with Late Late Show, all monies donated to charity, try to grab some free and positive publicity for the sport for a change.

sj
Report sportsjudge November 17, 2009 10:35 AM GMT
BTW, Look forward to seeing you at Notts next Thursday Peter, as will be entering Blonde Lucy for the **es race all being well.

sj
Report Southwark Star November 17, 2009 10:38 AM GMT
The wrong people are running greyhound racing, they are only interesed in the land value of the stadium. Nottingham is a fantastic track and the racing there last night was top class, but for me i watched in the betting office. I had £100 which i managed to iron out, for me to get there and back from London would have skint me so i had no choice. But when Wimbledon closes which i feel may be quick if a sponser cannot be found for next years Derby, and who would want to go to Wimbledon to entertain without the proper facilities.
Report the.mad.dog.man November 17, 2009 10:49 AM GMT
have a placepot last 6 races
Report Jack Stirling November 17, 2009 1:59 PM GMT
I don't think that it helps when the same old faces keep winning the big races (not all of us can pay big money to win the big prizes) even though we all share the same dream. GBGB need to employ dog people with good business sense. New tracks should be built where there is a need, eg middle of Essex, West Country/South Wales, surely somebody must have the nous to make a track profitable without a BAGS contract. Tracks near to supermarkets-donate dogs to the staff to encourage the staff along; if new faces are made to feel welcome they will come again.
Report The Racing Manager November 17, 2009 2:03 PM GMT
Peter
How many times have you been to another track other than Nottingham. Never ever seen you at Sheffield
Report TheGameAintStrait November 17, 2009 4:32 PM GMT
jack, forget essex, romfords only still open cos its owned by one of the so called big four. then if you go back when the game was good we had southend (probably the greatest running/galloping track in the country) and also ipswich (home of the one and only scurlogue champ) and yes ive still got programmes of him getting beat out of sight in graded 628s. dare i say it but the stow was also on the doorstep. but sadly there all gone. my very good good friend mark currell sold virtually all his string last year and hes had some great dogs over the years and been in the game a long time. so when one of the big players drops out i really begin too fear the worst.

BUT PLEASE GOD I HOPE IM WRONG !!!!
Report Jack Stirling November 17, 2009 4:49 PM GMT
Colchester council should have stayed with their original plan to put a dog track in the new football stadium. I think the game losing a lot of small owners is more damaging than losing the big players, and bags trainers owning most of their runners isn't providing owners/crowd to the tracks,(and raises possible welfare issues). But someone perhaps cleverer than me has got to find a way of getting more people through the turnstiles. I can't believe that all of the people that used to go to the closed tracks are dead, and I can't believe our exciting sport cannot get a decent audience.
Report TheGameAintStrait November 17, 2009 4:58 PM GMT
i play poker regulally with the guy who owns colchester fc, very wealthy man but doubt a dog track is on his agenda
Report Jack Stirling November 17, 2009 5:03 PM GMT
Maybe you could win all of his money off of him and build the track we need-let the soldiers and their families in for nothing, and make the most of the local training talent. Good luck.
Report TheGameAintStrait November 17, 2009 5:05 PM GMT
if only...lol
Report boosup November 17, 2009 6:14 PM GMT
very kind people will bring me a cup of water to my house; other very kind people will give me a cup of water if I travel to their houses; well?; which one?
Report PENNPICK November 17, 2009 6:24 PM GMT
Regarding the 1p meal deal. Its rumoured that the track gets £6 off GBGB for every deal. If this is true, no wonder David Hood was keen to highlight it on Sky, particularly the 10k prize.
Report The Racing Manager November 17, 2009 6:29 PM GMT
The track get nothing at all. the track provide the food and the GBGB provide the advertising.
Report ALICIA November 17, 2009 7:20 PM GMT
Wheres Albert Skelton now TGAS?
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com