Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
xmoneyx
01 Jun 22 03:53
| Topic/replies: 10,490 | Blogger: xmoneyx's blog
February 20, 2022, Dustin Johnson

“I remain fully committed to the PGA Tour.”

May 30, 2022, DJ on the list to play the first LIV Golf event.ExcitedCryWhoops
Pause Switch to Standard View DJ playing LIV
Show More
Report xmoneyx June 8, 2022 12:33 PM BST
money talks

Bryson DeChambeau and Patrick Reed join
Report therhino June 8, 2022 12:38 PM BST
Still no statement from the PGA Tour - they don't know what to do. I dare say nothing this week, hope the first one flops and then hoping the US Open diverts attention. It won't though, every press conference next week will be Saudi, Saudi and more Saudi.
Report therhino June 8, 2022 12:40 PM BST
Who'd have thought when Bryson won Bay Hill, doing things nobody has been able to do ever, a mere few months after winning a major by 6 shots that it would perhaps be his last ever PGA Tour win.
Report mepoor June 8, 2022 12:52 PM BST
it just goes to show what i have been saying for the last 20 odd years.these people dont give a toss deep down about about trophys or majors money matters even premier footballers or champions league final all this kidding on crying at end if loose. they make so much money nothing matters to them even breaking laws they think  above normal life.life is about living till you cant any more and having the money to enjoy anything you want till your not fit so dont let anyone kid you they care about sport although i love it as fun to watch is just greed went crazy and yet no one sees how they rob us blind to even watch it. yet the normal person works 40 hours at least a week hard work for pittence its ugly and to be honest.
Report therhino June 8, 2022 1:01 PM BST
Bryson is a big get. Phil and DJ bigger names but Phil is old and DJ while not past it, is in decline. Not sure about his health though, are his injuries worse than we know and he wants the guaranteed cash now? People want to watch him though they don't love him. Brooks will surely join, Rickie as well. Death by a thousand cuts, feels like they are 1 name away from absolute carnage - Spieth, Rory, JT, Collin, Rahm, Scheffler. A defection from any of those and it's blown up.

Imagine tourneys like Riviera being headlined by Max Homa and Abe Ancer Sad
Report Mighty Whites 2008 June 8, 2022 3:27 PM BST
Imagine tourneys like Riviera being headlined by Max Homa and Abe Ancer Sad

Imagine a global tour bringing the best players in the world together around the world from Melbourne to Madrid, Bangkok to Beijing, Cape Town to Calcutta  as well as the traditional staging post on great courses supplemented by the majors
Report Mighty Whites 2008 June 8, 2022 3:34 PM BST
it just goes to show what i have been saying for the last 20 odd years.these people dont give a toss deep down about about trophys or majors money matters

Why do you think golfers from around the world have headed for the PGA Tour over the last 3 decades destroying the european tour and killing off the Aussie swing, the south African events. They no longer even need to bother getting their wheelbarrows out and heading to Asia in the fall as Ernie Els said 25 years ago.

Since 2012 only four players have one more than 12 events on the PGA Tour.

Apart from Tiger only Phil was won more than 5 majors since the mid 90s when Faldo won 6.

Winning is great for those that can but the majority are there to make up the numbers and earn as much as they can. There is just a new destination around now.

Winning is tough.
Report Mighty Whites 2008 June 8, 2022 3:36 PM BST
Kevin Kisner sums up the attitude of most players

from January 2021

https://twitter.com/foreplaypod/status/1349762552117538819?lang=en-GB
Report Mighty Whites 2008 June 8, 2022 3:42 PM BST
Bryson is a big get. Phil and DJ bigger names but Phil is old and DJ while not past it, is in decline.

Phil is a big coup after Tiger no one moves the dial in terms of viewing numbers as much as Phil. The viewing figures for his win in 2021 PGA Championship were twice as big as any other recent years

Death by a thousand cuts, feels like they are 1 name away from absolute carnage

and its only week 1

They will all go eventually. Some will quite quickly start to panic if they don't get on board fast they will miss the boat.
Report A_T June 8, 2022 6:40 PM BST
probably the most obscene example yet of sportswashing
Report Total Bosman June 8, 2022 6:50 PM BST
Another 100 mil or so for Bryson, they've probably shelled out the best part of 500 million on this and got 1 player in the current world top 20. The top boys aren't going to accept than DJ or Bryson, so if they really want to secure all the top players they're looking at billions upon billions. And then of course once all the guys have been paid so much just to show up, there's no real incentive for them to practice or give it their all when the prize money, no matter how high, means nothing any more. I have no idea how this ends now but I don't think it ends in a brilliant and inspiring golf product.

And the team element is a joke.
Report brain dead jockeys June 8, 2022 6:51 PM BST
this is some mess. only way for this to stop is to ban them from pga tour and get the masters on board to ban them as well. that leaves these guys eligible fore us and british open only..........
i cant see any atmosphere at these events. they are like exhibitions. they wont get big crowds. playing at the early swing events in california, the play offs, wgc's, players in front of 40k each day for historic tournaments is what every sports person wants. theres no real competition here.
the key to stopping this are justin thomas, rory mac, jon rahm, speith, scottie, cameron smith, p cantlay.........if the pga tour can hold these guys, the LIV tour will surely tank.........the pag tour is based on competition. ranking points, qualifying for majors etc...........this LIV thing doesnt fit into that.......how can LIV get a return on its money.........its 80 dollars to get in each day.......they will be lucky to get 5,000.........times 3, thats 1.2 million......lets say it takes off, and they get 20,000 each of the three days...........thats gate receipts of 5 million......just covers first prize........is a major tv company going to pay for it?........do they want to be associated with it? i doubt it. how can they cover prize money, never mind the up front fees they are paying. it will surely die a death.
only comparison i can make to this chaos - and bare with me, its a strange one - is when the four tennis majors banned "pros" from playing tennis in the 1950's and 60's..........rod laver excluded himself from the four slams for several years........that pro circuit means nothing historically.......laver did it to make a decent living which all these guts have already.......
there will be no comparison between playing at the players or farmers insurance open and a LIV event..........only cash which they dont need.
Report 11kv June 8, 2022 6:55 PM BST
LIV Have endless cash to hand out the the top players will take it after all that is why they play ,if they can win even better if they dont then oh well..........
Report 11kv June 8, 2022 6:56 PM BST
And while there are fans who want to pay 10k for 3 days so be itMischief
Report A_T June 8, 2022 7:03 PM BST
I suppose tennis will potentially be the next target - the ATP tour - which does not govern the grand slam events.
Report Mighty Whites 2008 June 8, 2022 7:07 PM BST
how can LIV get a return on its money.

In the short term that doesn't seem to be the aim of the project. If five years down the line they have the best players in the world then the TV deals and sponsorship will flow in.
Report GoBallistic June 8, 2022 7:54 PM BST
The PGA Tour will always be the best tour imo. Even if the world's best 20 players jumped ship they wouldn't be the world's best 20 players for much longer
Report brain dead jockeys June 8, 2022 8:11 PM BST
well said go ballistic..........golfers have to qualify for their pga tour card. there is a whole structure in place re world rankings, qualifying etc for golf tournaments. this exhibition tour messes with the whole structure.
in order for this tour to last, it will have to generate revenue streams to offset the huge costs. i dont see how it can recover the up front fees and prize money......
Report now wheres that switch!!! June 8, 2022 8:30 PM BST
perhaps they are going to have side bets with Phil and recoup their money that way Laugh
Report JML June 8, 2022 9:09 PM BST
I don't see the top 10 jumping ship until they know what the penalties are.
And there is no reason why any of them should agree a fee less than what Johnson got paid.

They are all very young compared to the well known names that have already signed.
Report xmoneyx June 8, 2022 9:14 PM BST
https://www.livgolf.com/

YouTube - Free

thurs/fri/sat

no eye deer of format
Report brain dead jockeys June 8, 2022 9:25 PM BST
the 4 majors should drop being a past champion as being eligible to play...........make eligibility based on top 50 on pga and 30 on euro tour or something close to that........with only 20 places or less for pre qualifying making it difficult for these guys to get to the majors..........the majors are the key.........the 100m for bryson is not going to compensate for not playing in the majors.......he already has the 100m.........
Report now wheres that switch!!! June 8, 2022 9:33 PM BST
Brain dead, you are missing the point, did you not see the press conference earlier? Westwood and Poulter basically gave away that if the money was right, they would go and play in Russia. Players are simply not interested in majors or any event with prestige attached to it these days.
Report brain dead jockeys June 8, 2022 9:48 PM BST
"Players are simply not interested in majors or any event with prestige attached to it these days."

i totally disagree........the best european soccer players did not go to china when they were offered telephone numbers.........some decent players went.........how long did they last?.......yes, covid brought the league down, but many didnt last that long.........the money did not compensate for missing out on champions league........poulter and macdowell are nowhere near being top golfers anymore.........bryson has messed his body up and his career is going nowhere........i disagree with the sentiment that DJ is on the way down.........he has had bad spells before and come back.......when he is playing well he is unstoppable..........they have DJ, thats it.........phil is 50 odd..........DJ is the only top golfer they have. some of the names in the event, i have never heard of.
make it difficult for these LIV guys to play in the majors and none of the other top golfers would go........you think nadal, rafa and federer would have gone to play in an alternative tennis tour if they were excluded from the slams........NO CHANCE IN HELL.........NOT EVEN FOR 2 BILLION DOLLARS........
Report now wheres that switch!!! June 8, 2022 10:22 PM BST
In fairness, Novak was happy to not play a slam event for no money, just to avoid a jab in his arm…
Report rob999 June 8, 2022 10:26 PM BST
Can't agree with the analogy of the Chinese soccer leagues.

This isn't relocating yourself and your family for huge chunks of a year. Its flying in and out of locations for a few days at at time and the first few are in locations they know well.

Watching the interviews with the players was tough. Westwood and Poulter unwilling to answer if there was anywhere they wouldn't play if the money was right. Mickleson absolutely ripped to pieces by the journalists on sportswashing and he knew it. DJ I think lucky that he doesn't quite have the brain power to comprehend some of the questions.

Its ugly and I don't see any good outcome.
Report brain dead jockeys June 8, 2022 10:27 PM BST
he went to a hell of a lot of trouble to play........staying in a zero star hotel and going thru the courts..........if it wasnt a major, his private plane would have reversed out of there faster than his backhand
Report brain dead jockeys June 8, 2022 10:31 PM BST
darren clarke said he was offered a massive pay day to be a commentator......said he loves playing on the PGA champions (senior) tour and didnt want to risk being banned........money cant buy everyone.....

https://www.bbc.com/sport/golf/61682472
Report rob999 June 8, 2022 10:39 PM BST
Good for Darren I guess but one of the others of similar standing that they asked will take up the offer no doubt and so it won't matter to them.

I suspect the PGA Tour will be more concerned about Bryson, Rickie and Patrick today. And tomorrow X, Y and Z. And the next day...
Report JML June 8, 2022 10:40 PM BST
In fact he said "It was very, very generous offer"

Perhaps if it was a "very,very,very generous offer" he would have accepted.
Report maleuk01. June 9, 2022 8:21 AM BST
Watching Mickelson, Poulter, and Westwood interviews shown them up for what they are. Mercenaries.

Was actually very painful for them being ripped to shreds.

They don't care about human rights, opr the sport of golf, they just want the money and will do anything for the sums being waived in front of them.

How much does a person actually need to be happy?
Report johnnythebull June 9, 2022 12:58 PM BST
nobodies,never wases and overrated washed up bottlers..bit like the PGA Tour at the end of the day..every man has his price
Report Wesdag June 9, 2022 2:10 PM BST
Where are LIV events being televised please?
Report mengmeng June 9, 2022 2:13 PM BST
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-exyLWw5pq8      i think
Report rob999 June 9, 2022 2:18 PM BST
Five minutes of viewing is enough for me to quit.

Mickelson looks like he has been living in a cave for the past few months.
Report Wesdag June 9, 2022 2:20 PM BST
ok thanks meng

so no mainstream broadcaster touching it?
Report mengmeng June 9, 2022 2:22 PM BST
not this week as far as i know, that stream on youtube and on liv facebook page
Report Wesdag June 9, 2022 2:28 PM BST
cheers
Report now wheres that switch!!! June 9, 2022 2:30 PM BST
dont get how they will cover it without the coverage looking very disjointed with it being shotgun start format. Leaderboards will be fun to try work out lol
Report Wesdag June 9, 2022 2:41 PM BST
Looks pretty amateurish so far.

The Youtube link even showed the presenters getting their make up & hairspray applied. Laugh
Report Total Bosman June 9, 2022 3:08 PM BST
They seem to be so obsessed with condensing the golf into as small a window as possible that it's impossible to follow what's actually going on. There's a reason a golf tournament takes time.
Report SamH_123 June 9, 2022 3:44 PM BST
why no betting on the winning team, did they not release the teams early enough
Report now wheres that switch!!! June 9, 2022 3:50 PM BST
Would imagine through lack of interest
Report ashleigh June 9, 2022 3:57 PM BST
pga tour suspends all liv players.
Report maleuk01. June 9, 2022 5:46 PM BST
DJ said he would prob have to play golf for the rest of his life on the PGA tour. Whereas the LIV tour gives him the financial resources not to.

Is he having a laugh? Surely he has enough money to retire tomorrow if he wants.

Mcdowell shrugging of all abuses inc the 81 executions in March, women's rights etc as if it doesn't really matter, he is just a pro golfer.

The more I hear of their interviews the more cringe worthy it is.

Zero respect for any of them.
Report cobra sam June 9, 2022 7:37 PM BST
cant see why so many posters are getting angry over the saudi money...grand prix there,,,championship boxing ,,,,and there invested in the premier league...no brainer for the likes of westy,,poulter,,serge etc
Report cobra sam June 9, 2022 7:40 PM BST
why everyone so pissed off ....saudis have had a grand prix....world class boxing...and there invested in the prem.....no brainer for the likes of poulter ,,mcdowell etc
Report cobra sam June 9, 2022 7:41 PM BST
soz didnt think the first one went thru....i enjoyed the coverage,,,and sat back 9 be twitchy
Report Wesdag June 9, 2022 8:17 PM BST
Difference is in the examples of football, boxing & grand prix, the Saudis invested into the current models.

Here they are setting up a rival. The only draw is money rather than glory.
Report Total Bosman June 9, 2022 8:31 PM BST
TBH although the Saudis are very problematic to say the least I think the human rights issue has overshadowed the major sporting issues around this project: it's a rubbish, hurried format that'll quickly become extremely dull, and beyond the initial curiosity there is no sporting interest to watching rich guys get richer in silly little closed shop tournaments with no history or prestige. And normally you'd say that would mean it will ultimately fail, but the truth is the players just want the money, and the Saudis have so much of it that it barely even matters if the public enjoy it, because it has no need to ever make a profit. So the big objection that there isn't to them owning a PL team or having a grand prix, where they buy into but don't fundamentally change the sports in question, is that they are creating and throwing infinite money at a bad product that could splinter and damage the sport for many years to come.
Report cool_hand_luke June 9, 2022 9:38 PM BST
Nailed it Total Bosman. The human rights slant was ok to pass the fit and proper persons test when they bought into Newcastle and the UK Government are content to sell weapons to the tune of several billion. It has met with some questioning when other sporting activities were hosed in this country,  but nothing of this calibre. The reason appears to be that America wants to control golf as they currently do, the same way they control NATO, they world banks ,currency and politics. Now someone has the Gaul to try and steal one of their products and pay more to initiate it. Soddenly the parameters have changed, and they will do whatever to maintain control over their asset. America do what they want in the world of golf at present as they own the sport and to an extent all independent contractors (golfers) however the Saudis want to cease this weather for the better or not, presently to the detriment of the sport with the poor product they have manufactured through huge over payments to average an spent golfers, however who knows what long term brings. Ever wondered why 3 majors are played on American soil yet they came to the golfing party late? Doesn't happen in any other sport that I can recall, however I await to be educated please. This is not about Golf or Human rights or the players (they will be expendable after their pay day) this is about control and the Saudis sticking it to the Americans and the most important part of all this, while the UAE has hanged its main source of income from oil to tourism, Saudi have not produced anything yet, however suddenly they have LIV trying to purchase significantly into entertainment.  Just my thoughts anyway
Report Total Bosman June 9, 2022 9:51 PM BST
Yeah there are so many different agendas and interests in play that the feuding actually distracts from the fact it's totally rubbish. Half a billion down the drain on fading golfers and their website doesn't even have a leaderboard!
Report DEFCON [1] June 9, 2022 10:17 PM BST
Just back, and what a show these boys have put on - the highlight for me was Itthipat Buranatanyarat's par at the 12th.

Forget the 16th coliseum hole at Phoenix when you've got, Crushers GC, Fireballs GC & Ironheads GC fans whooping up the atmosphere to a level that made Tiger Woods Masters comeback victory look like a Euro Pro event.

Lots of great merchandise available, picked up a Phil Mick endorsed South Park themed golf shirt with the Logo 'They Killed Khashoggi' 

They've thought of everything in the fan Zone ...

Saw lots of Saudi Nationals trying their luck at a Top Golf style range where points are awarded for clouting adulterous burka clad females.
There's even a consulate themed escape room which is free to enter for the LBGTQ community, Yemeni nationals, and outspoken journalists.
And a free to enter. win a Ferrari competition by guessing the total number of S/A executions in June.
Report Total Bosman June 9, 2022 10:36 PM BST

Jun 9, 2022 -- 10:17PM, DEFCON [1] wrote:

Just back, and what a show these boys have put on - the highlight for me was Itthipat Buranatanyarat's par at the 12th. Forget the 16th coliseum hole at Phoenix when you've got, Crushers GC, Fireballs GC & Ironheads GC fans whooping up the atmosphere to a level that made Tiger Woods Masters comeback victory look like a Euro Pro event.Lots of great merchandise available, picked up a Phil Mick endorsed South Park themed golf shirt with the Logo 'They Killed Khashoggi'

Report Mighty Whites 2008 June 9, 2022 11:05 PM BST
cool_hand_luke 09 Jun 22 21:38 
Nailed it Total Bosman. The human rights slant was ok to pass the fit and proper persons test when they bought into Newcastle and the UK Government are content to sell weapons to the tune of several billion. It has met with some questioning when other sporting activities were hosed in this country,  but nothing of this calibre. The reason appears to be that America wants to control golf as they currently do, the same way they control NATO, they world banks ,currency and politics. Now someone has the Gaul to try and steal one of their products and pay more to initiate it. Soddenly the parameters have changed, and they will do whatever to maintain control over their asset. America do what they want in the world of golf at present as they own the sport and to an extent all independent contractors (golfers) however the Saudis want to cease this weather for the better or not, presently to the detriment of the sport with the poor product they have manufactured through huge over payments to average an spent golfers, however who knows what long term brings. Ever wondered why 3 majors are played on American soil yet they came to the golfing party late? Doesn't happen in any other sport that I can recall, however I await to be educated please. This is not about Golf or Human rights or the players (they will be expendable after their pay day) this is about control and the Saudis sticking it to the Americans and the most important part of all this, while the UAE has hanged its main source of income from oil to tourism, Saudi have not produced anything yet, however suddenly they have LIV trying to purchase significantly into entertainment.  Just my thoughts anyway

Great summary
Report Mighty Whites 2008 June 9, 2022 11:12 PM BST
The PIF fund has a $600 billion dollar fund - 500 million is chicken feed but I agree its a joke of a website. Also don't understand the pricing structure given the money available surely would have been prudent to have low/free ticket prices and bring in decent crowds.
Report Total Bosman June 9, 2022 11:25 PM BST

Jun 9, 2022 -- 11:12PM, Mighty Whites 2008 wrote:

The PIF fund has a $600 billion dollar fund - 500 million is chicken feed but I agree its a joke of a website. Also don't understand the pricing structure given the money available surely would have been prudent to have low/free ticket prices and bring in decent crowds.

Thing is, they did lower the prices in the end, all the players were tweeting out codes to get in free, and even so it still looked to be dead. The condensed format with the shotgun start is really bad for spectators, at a normal event you get close to 12 hours to cruise around and see your favourites, but in such a rushed format I guess you either pick one spot and watch the groups roll through and see each guy once, or you pick one group and resign yourself to only following one group of three. Either way it's not ideal, not for the full price they were charging.

Report therhino June 10, 2022 5:40 AM BST
Seems they have a leaderboard on the website now Cool
Report therhino June 10, 2022 5:43 AM BST
Day 1 in the books but didn't go free of controversy - check out Shipnuck's Twitter.

I wouldn't be going to the embassy if you get invited for mediation talks Alan Scared
Report xmoneyx June 10, 2022 12:03 PM BST
no cut

last place

120k Love
Report xmoneyx June 10, 2022 2:23 PM BST
LIV purse this week.

1st: $4M
2nd: $2.1M
3rd: $1.5M
4th: $1.1M
5th: $975K
6th: $800K
7th: $675K
8th: $625K
9th: $580K
10th: $560K

• $20M total
• $5M to top teams
• Top 15 all make a quarter million
• Last place is $120K
Report Total Bosman June 10, 2022 5:13 PM BST
A runaway victory for a veteran long past his best who hasn't won on any tour for 6 years would be an appropriate start to things.
Report Mighty Whites 2008 June 10, 2022 5:52 PM BST
therhino 10 Jun 22 05:40 
Seems they have a leaderboard on the website now

doesnt seem to link to the current event
Report brain dead jockeys June 10, 2022 6:43 PM BST
bryson has 10 year USO exemption and 5 year exemption for the other three majors.....he has now signed, its been confirmed......he has serious injuries and has admitted messing up his back trying to hit the ball very far......also hurt his wrist..........probably got 150 million..........2 questions
1. will the euro tour now ban them as well
2. can the majors reverse the exemptions bryson gets

if bryson can play in the 4 majors and the euro events in middle east and at end of year - im sure he will get appearance fees - then the pga ban will have little effect on him.

the majors should never have given players exemptions for winning a major.......should never have allowed defending champions to come back for 10 years.......its killing them now.........dusty, bryson, phil will play on LIV and in the majors......justin thomas, rory, colin mork - even though they have committed to the pga - could do the same. the majors need to change their rules immediately.......make playing in majors depend more on rankings and how they do in pga and euro tour...........
Report Mighty Whites 2008 June 10, 2022 7:23 PM BST
the majors should never have given players exemptions for winning a major Why

Confused as to why the majors should be concerned what tour participants play on this is not their fight. I can't see how it would benefit them to ban players.

If the majors are smart they could in time be the only events where all the best players in the world come together to compete.
Report Mighty Whites 2008 June 10, 2022 7:27 PM BST
6 more Americans set to jump ship next week
Report Mighty Whites 2008 June 10, 2022 7:29 PM BST
if bryson can play in the 4 majors and the euro events in middle east and at end of year - im sure he will get appearance fees - then the pga ban will have little effect on him.

A Dozen LIV events, 4 majors, 2 WGC events plus a few around the world will be more than enough. Expect to see the Asian tour add a 'International US swing' to supplement events.
Report Mighty Whites 2008 June 10, 2022 7:39 PM BST
1. will the euro tour now ban them as well

The Euro tour made a huge strategic error not pairing up with LIV when they had the chance. They have undermined their tour by allowing players to compete for the biggest prizes without barely setting foot on european soil in recent weeks. A dozen LIV events could have easily been incorporated into their schedule given the number of blank weeks/ low prize money events.
Report Mighty Whites 2008 June 10, 2022 7:40 PM BST
recent weeks * recent years
Report brain dead jockeys June 10, 2022 7:55 PM BST
everyone is really missing the point here. given the fees and prize money being paid by LIV, they cannot generate the revenue streams to sustain this project. its not a tour. its not needed.
Report Mighty Whites 2008 June 10, 2022 8:28 PM BST
brain dead jockeys 10 Jun 22 19:55 
everyone is really missing the point here. given the fees and prize money being paid by LIV, they cannot generate the revenue streams to sustain this project. its not a tour. its not needed.

The PIF have $600 billion dollar fund behind them. The aim isn't to break even.
Report brain dead jockeys June 10, 2022 8:59 PM BST
hi mighty.......so are they just going to lose billions every year for ever?........nothing in life works like that.......so how long will it last?.......the pga tour has lasted for decades because its real. this isnt.....
Report Mighty Whites 2008 June 10, 2022 9:09 PM BST
Time will tell but they aren't short of money. The Premier golf league guys (who the Saudis nicked the idea off) claim that their concept would be worth 10 billion within a decade.

The Saudis aim is to become a world super power dominating various sports is only a part of the plan.

The Saudi's have untold riches google the futuristic $500 billion dollar city 'Neom' they are building.
Report loui June 10, 2022 9:10 PM BST
+19 at halfway point, and guaranteed $120k for being absolute cack
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- June 10, 2022 9:48 PM BST
I was interested in Sergio playing in uk
given his hatred of our tax laws.

Has something changed!

Old story, but plenty more since then...

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/sergio-garcias-stand-against-taxes

Report Total Bosman June 10, 2022 9:53 PM BST
Bryson fits the pattern of guys taking the money who one way or another are on the slide, either through injury, age, or loss of form. The OWGR site shows the rankings at the end of 2021 to compare to now, and it's striking how badly the LIV guys are doing:

DJ 3 > 15
Bryson 5 > 28 (injury effected, but no guarantee the injuries stop occurring)
Oosty 10 > 20

I guess the pattern will continue on and guys who are heading in the wrong direction either age or performance wise will take the insurance policy of a big pay day (Reed, Fowler, Bubba, maybe Brooks with his injury problems), and to some extent you can't blame them- they are guys whose fame and reputation are a draw but their current performance is not, so why not cash in on that fame before it too fades. Not going to make for much of a long-term product watching the old and the infirm hack it round though. The big story comes if a big name or two who are on the upwards trajectory move over but if those guys hold fast then LIV will keep grinding on but no one will keep watching.
Report xmoneyx June 10, 2022 11:05 PM BST
i was on youtube watching the wrong day CryWhoopsWink
Report xmoneyx June 10, 2022 11:14 PM BST
Dustin Johnson said he has committed to FOUR years of LIV Golf events.Laugh
Report Mighty Whites 2008 June 11, 2022 12:03 AM BST
The big story comes if a big name or two who are on the upwards trajectory move over but if those guys hold fast then LIV will keep grinding on but no one will keep watching.

Phil, Dj and Bryson were in the top 7 of the PGA Player impact program (the tours attempt to shovel barrow loads of cash to the big names to ofset LIV) with Bubba and Fowler set to join if they pick up Brooks they will have 6 of the top 11. These are the guys who draw viewers to tournaments and generate the internet traffic.

Unlikely they will get one of the top guys in the short term but given Tiger is effectively finished Rory, Jt and Spieth aside none of the rest exactly move the needle or generate a great deal of public excitement.

The field this week was stronger than expected. With 6 more Americans set to sign up next week the field strength will grow again and we are only part way through the first event.

Aside from the signing on fees if the likes of Charl, Du Plessis or Peter 'korn ferry' Uihlein pick up over $4 million dollars tomorrow there will be more one or two of 20 - 50 ranked players glancing enviously.

6 of the 8 events are after the Open with 5 after the fed ex cup it is going to be rocky road ahead for the PGA tour.
Report Total Bosman June 11, 2022 12:25 AM BST
The interesting thing though is that yes, while like you say they are picking up guys with big personalities who move the needle as much for that reason as for their performances, the format and the presentation leaves no real room for personality to shine through. The shotgun start is so rushed it's just shot, shot, shot, shot to try to show as much as possible of the simultaneous action. And that might make for a lively broadcast but at the end of the day it could be anyone hitting them.

So we won't get the caddie chat of Phil or Bubba trying to think their way out of trouble spots, or the interaction with fans, or even Bryson or Reed arguing with rules officials, based on what I've seen so far they just will cut to them hitting then onto the next one. So the problem is that if your format and presentation relies solely on showing golf shot after golf shot with no wider context you need the best golfers, which they don't have, rather than just the big personalities.

I don't disagree though that the PGA Tour are in more trouble than they probably thought they'd be at this early stage, and will have to ride out some difficult times. But unless there are big (but quite possible) u-turns from the top ten or so in the world, Liv are struggling too to have a product with any lasting interest.
Report Total Bosman June 11, 2022 3:02 PM BST
For all this is a big deal in the world of golf, the final round of one of the richest events ever created is being watched by an audience of 50000 on youtube.
Report SontaranStratagem June 12, 2022 2:39 AM BST
No viewers then really but paying the fookers 160 million dollars a piece...
Report xmoneyx June 12, 2022 6:45 AM BST
swarlt caddie

475k Excited
Report DEFCON [1] June 12, 2022 11:32 AM BST
Intrigued by the belching sounds, I popped my head in to the players dining area where they've created a Medieval Banquet feast.
Westy was hurling the devoured carcass's of roasted Swan and Peacock over his shoulder, while a court jester offered what looked like a gorged and bloated Phil Mick 'one more wafer mint?' To which Phil replied '**** off i'm full' ...it was reminiscent of the Mr Creosote sketch from Monty Python.
Dj, Charl & Poults weren't at the table itself but they did have their own personal troughs.
I couldn't help but notice that lots of players seemed to be pushing wheelbarrows around with washing instructions emblazoned on the side.
The LIV slogan is 'Don't Blink' the only time they ask you to blink is when 9/11 is brought up.
Report Mighty Whites 2008 June 15, 2022 6:48 PM BST
Rumours PIF have are in discussions to purchase the DP World Tour.

Would explain why they have not followed the PGA Tour with instant bans for players.
Report therhino June 21, 2022 2:03 PM BST
In news that should surprise nobody, Brooks is off to LIV.
Report therhino June 21, 2022 2:03 PM BST
Apparently, still in the field for Travelers.
Report therhino June 21, 2022 2:39 PM BST
Lots of rumours that Morikawa will go. Would be the fall of Rome if so.
Report dazmacccccc June 21, 2022 3:39 PM BST
will fields still be limited to 48? what will happen if a load of top quality players sign up after the last major and the lesser quality players are told they are not wanted anymore, will it be a case of going back to their tour asking for their place back, could be awkward
Report Mighty Whites 2008 June 21, 2022 5:40 PM BST
Abraham Ancer has also signed up - two of the top 20 this week.
Report Mighty Whites 2008 June 21, 2022 5:45 PM BST
will fields still be limited to 48? what will happen if a load of top quality players sign up after the last major and the lesser quality players are told they are not wanted anymore, will it be a case of going back to their tour asking for their place back, could be awkward

DP World and the Asian tour haven't banned anyone. No one was banned for playing in the Saudi Invitational this year.

Suspect there will be plenty in the top 100 probably top 25 who will be wondering whether they will miss the boat if they don't jump soon.

Rumours that DP World have been in talks with LIV. If they have any sense they will align with Asian tour to create a world tour to sit alongside the LIV events.
Report brain dead jockeys June 21, 2022 7:28 PM BST
abraham ancer is 31. hes won 1 pga event. they say koepka is going going gone to LIV............
Report now wheres that switch!!! June 21, 2022 7:32 PM BST
Still no future in what are basically exhibition events. Shotgun start has not worked with round still taking nearly 5 hours. Surprised CM is thinking about it but i guess everyone has a price. Although offering nearly a billion to Tiger and him turning it down shows the regard he holds for LIV...
Report Mighty Whites 2008 June 21, 2022 7:58 PM BST
PGA Tour set to introduce a 'liv style series of events'

8 events mainly in the fall - top 50 in the PGA Tour rankings from the previous season, no cut, with a $20 million prize fund for each event. Makes you wonder where they were  squirreling away all that money previously.
Report Mighty Whites 2008 June 21, 2022 8:01 PM BST
Still no future in what are basically exhibition events. Shotgun start has not worked with round still taking nearly 5 hours.

There will be a future given the funds backing it - whether it is a success is a different mater.

Bit early to call whether the shotgun starts will prove popular. They certainly could add drama to the team events if they take over given the potential for swings at the end with everyone on the course.
Report therhino June 22, 2022 2:34 AM BST
The 8 events you are referring to Mighty looks to be spread across the year - Kapalua, Players, Riviera, Bay Hill and Memorial all to have big purses. 3 more events in the fall with big purses as 'international events' which sounds quite hopeful for someone who lives in my neck of the woods as a big money event at Royal Melb would attract a crowd. PGA Tour also reverting back to calendar year cycle and ditching the wraparound season. Change is definitely coming but no matter what they are do they are just outgunned financially.

Problem will be for the tour is that with LIV, the majors and now their own version of the Rolex Series, who is going to play Pebble, Torrey Pines, Quail Hollow, Scottsdale, Austin, Hilton Head... Great events on great courses with plenty of history and prestige - will they essentially be reduced to glorified Korn Ferry Tour events?
Report therhino June 22, 2022 11:33 PM BST
Cantlay prob be gone before too long - watching a guy wearing a Goldman Sachs hat faceplant through an interview pretending he doesn't know if he's had an offer or not doesn't inspire confidence he will be sticking around.
Report jedi sophie June 26, 2022 1:16 PM BST
No loss there,beyond dull…..
Report Mighty Whites 2008 June 26, 2022 9:05 PM BST
Matt Wolff signs up

World Amateur number 2 Eugenio Chacarra turns pro and signs a 3 year deal

Carlos Ortiz rumoured to be joining to round out the Portland field.
Report Mighty Whites 2008 June 26, 2022 9:10 PM BST
Yuki Inamori collected 73k for wining on the Japan Tour. guaranteed 120k for coming last in Portland next week.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com