Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
FatherMaguire
21 Sep 21 09:48
| Topic/replies: 2,211 | Blogger: FatherMaguire's blog
Not all of these will be the fault of Sky who get alot of their feeds from USA (how bad must their coverage be?), but here's a list of things that are almost certain to boil my blood this weekend.

1. The intro music before/after commercial breaks - not too bad on the foursomes on Day One - but on Day 3 when it's being played for the hundredth time (usually while there is live golf going on) it can drive you bananas.

2. Player interviews. Covering the whole spectrum of golf (men/women, pro/amateur) is the rule that no golf interview should offer any insight or other element of remote interest - this is especially true during the Ryder Cup, and is usually compounded by them taking place when other matches are coming down the 18th.

3. An obsession with the lead off match in the singles. Broadcasters seem largely unaware that all the singles points count the same - God forbid any shot in the opening match isn't shown in full, whereas the best matches in the last half can expect is a random putt here and there.

4. Get used to watching putting. Mainly a Day 3 thing this, the only shots you can expect to see from matches down the order is putts. The general rule is that if it's a putt to halve the hole it's going to miss, and if its a putt to win it goes in. It's the perfect way to remove any tension or enjoyment from watching the event. The exception to this is the opening tee shot of every single group which is shown in full with the accompanying crowd shots which are never boring (to TV execs) - if some bellend has shown up in fancy dress expect to seen them 20-30 times over the course of the day (in preference to watching actual golf of course)

5. Constant hyperbole. The Ryder Cup cemented it's reputation via some really nasty, vicious contests from the 1980s and 1990s. There was real bite to those occasions and there was clearly genuine animosity between the teams. Now its a love in, and is usually played on glorified pitch and putts in the USA. Expect to hear that some of these matches are among the best seen in the Ryder Cup (which is utter blolocks)

I'm sure I've missed some here, but think they're the main ones.
Pause Switch to Standard View Atrocious Coverage Incoming...
Show More
Report GoBallistic September 21, 2021 1:09 PM BST
Butch "Nice young man" Harmon makes it difficult for me to avoid the Mute button. Maybe it's deliberate to have the token US commentator as creepy as possible

I'd also add the tired old "you just knew [player b] was going to miss that putt once [player a] had made his" cliche that gets trotted out every single time player b misses (but is never mentioned when player b also holes out)

I don't really know how they can show the singles properly in it's current format. Even if they cut the waffle, there are just too many games on at once. One thing that would help would be to start the first match a lot earlier (nearer the time of the day 1/2 first tee time) and have a lot longer between each tee time. Or even do it in two distinct sessions. But if it hasn't happened before now, I guess it never will
Report FatherMaguire September 22, 2021 9:12 AM BST
Interesting point about staggering the singles, that would definitely improve things. I can just about remember when BBC had the coverage, I reckon they showed twice as much actual golf as Sky do now - the ads are inevitable, but the amout of waffle/interviews etc they choose to show instead of live golf is absolutely staggering.
Report Total Bosman September 22, 2021 12:57 PM BST
Another thing they ALWAYS do wrong (particularly in fourballs) is showing one shot from a game without showing them all - you need the full context or nothing at all. So we'll see, say, Rory hit an approach to 8 feet and they'll coo over what a brilliant shot it was then ten minutes later we'll go back for the putts and there will be two US approach shots inside his.
Report SlippyBlue September 22, 2021 1:46 PM BST
I must agree with you there G.B. Harmon completely does my napper in as well.
Report xmoneyx September 23, 2021 4:09 AM BST
interviews doing my head in already

id rather have a major in my locker than a ryder cup point
Report Jack_Kray September 23, 2021 9:43 PM BST
Someone will claim that Paul Casey has 'forearms like popeye' when he he plays a shot from the rough.

It's usually Ewen Murray, but I'm not sure what his involvement is for this.
Report xmoneyx September 23, 2021 11:47 PM BST
I watched Ian Poulter on the range Tuesday & he looked like a 4 handicap insurance salesman hitting duck hooks. First call here, he goes winless this week
Report xmoneyx September 23, 2021 11:48 PM BST
punter on course
Report JJmbe September 24, 2021 4:36 PM BST
Other than the first half on 1st tee, been quite good imo.
Report Jack_Kray September 24, 2021 11:28 PM BST
'This was just a moment ago' is usually an indication of a stellar shot.

Yup, we know 'live' golf isn't always live, due to multiple shots being played simultaneously - there is no need to say that a shot what a moment ago.
Report FatherMaguire September 26, 2021 1:00 PM BST
The split screen thing is daft - pretending like they are so committed to showing everything live that they need to show 2 things happening at once. This commitment wanes a bit during the 500 adverts they crowbar into the coverage
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com