Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
racingguru
28 Jul 20 08:00
| Topic/replies: 2,102 | Blogger: racingguru's blog
Obviously know it's been cancelled...but just wondering is there any reason why they couldn't have put it in the Ryder Cup week, straight after the US Open?

Know it would be odd having majors back to back but think it would be the most awesome 2 weeks of golf ever. Sure there must be a simple reason.
Pause Switch to Standard View British Open question
Show More
Report paulypaul July 28, 2020 1:43 PM BST
Official statement is all i can find..

"I can assure everyone that we have explored every option for playing The Open this year but it is not going to be possible.

“There are many different considerations that go into organising a major sporting event of this scale. We rely on the support of the emergency services, local authorities and a range of other organisations to stage the Championship and it would be unreasonable to place any additional demands on them when they have far more urgent priorities to deal with.

"In recent weeks we have been working closely with those organisations as well as Royal St George’s, St Andrews Links Trust and the other golf bodies to resolve the remaining external factors and have done so as soon as we possibly could. We are grateful to all of them for their assistance and co-operation throughout this process.

“Most of all I would like to thank our fans around the world and all of our partners for their support and understanding. At a difficult time like this we have to recognise that sport must stand aside to let people focus on keeping themselves and their families healthy and safe. We are committed to supporting our community in the weeks and months ahead and will do everything in our power to help golf come through this crisis.”
Report wess July 28, 2020 7:10 PM BST
They couldn't postpone until later in the year due to the reduced daylight hours. The biggest field in golf and so they need Summer daylight hours.
Report racingguru July 29, 2020 12:00 AM BST
Honestly it would be better to have a British Open with 80 runners than no British Open IMO.
Report mafeking July 29, 2020 1:08 PM BST
for a start would imagine hardly any americans would turn up. same with us open tennis. will be a complete farce with half the proper field. better off not bothering and preserving the status of majors
Report saxon farm July 29, 2020 3:35 PM BST
I agree with mafeking.
Report racingguru July 29, 2020 5:35 PM BST
I disagree with the Americans not turning up because Sept 24-27 is in a beautiful spot. A week after the US Open and nothing of significance till the 3 events in the Far East starting Oct 15th. I'd bet Tiger would turn up and if he did most of them would. Would agree with you if there were other decent tourneys in US straight after but its "Sanderson Farms" & "Shriners". I mean seriously! It's not a hard decision. Fly in...into British Open Bubble - fly out. The US players/caddies could have chartered a few planes and had all the precautions in place. Anyway guess the point is moot but really should have been done.
Report dazmacccccc July 29, 2020 6:42 PM BST
"Fly in...into British Open Bubble - fly out", you make that sound very simple. it would be a logistical/political clusterfuk. do people not go mad about the open championship being called the british open anymore?remember in the past people used to get their knickers in a twist over it
Report drive for show putt for dough July 30, 2020 12:12 AM BST
Think they have missed an opportunity with The Open. With no fans in attendance they could have played it with a full field and done something different using Princes as well as St Georges during the first two rounds. That would have given them a bit more time daylight wise.

Alas it wasn't to be.
Report racingguru July 30, 2020 2:49 AM BST
"Fly in...into British Open Bubble - fly out", you make that sound very simple. it would be a logistical/political clusterfuk. How different would it be to a regular tournament? These guys are already flying to locations.... Longer flight, Charter planes, testing before flights, before entering bubble, same thing thereafter as playing the tournaments that they have been. It was possible, just brainless idiots pulled the plug prematurely IMO. The PGA Tour has already shown its possible...really don't see why it is any different....I mean they played a tournament in the UK so what's the big deal?
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- July 30, 2020 1:37 PM BST
Why not play open on usa links course

Would be fun.
Report racingguru July 30, 2020 5:04 PM BST
Be better than nothing but ....have to throw the Europeantour a bone.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com