Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Catch Me ifyoucan
04 Mar 20 01:32
| Topic/replies: 18,579 | Blogger: Catch Me ifyoucan's blog
Catch Me ifyoucan • March 1, 2020 9:45 PM GMT.....PAUL AZINGER reckons this will be TOMMY's REAL first win .......those 41 or so on "that other TOUR" don't really count........fans on the course yelling at Fleetwood “Win your first One!!!..... "You can win all your want on 'that'....(eh other) European Tour" Azinger ............... you'll be on the receiving end of that for a while PAUL!

The 2008 winning US Ryder Cup captain said of Fleetwood:  “You can win all you want on ‘that’ European Tour, the international game and all of that. But you have to win on the PGA Tour.”

Paul Azinger has been reportedly ‘shut down’ by NBC TV executives in making similar comments following the twitter furore generated by the American’s remarks during last Sunday’s final round TV coverage of the Honda Classic as Rory McIlroy has slammed embattled TV analyst Paul Azinger declaring “So, I just found him (Azinger) dismissive and disrespectful” to both Lee Westwood and Tommy Fleetwood respective careers. “His comments were a little nationalistic, a little ‘America’s the best’ and yes, the PGA Tour may be the best tour in the world but you can say that and still be complimentary of the European Tour and recognize players like Lee and Tommy have played great golf to get to this level in the States. Tommy also has won three events that have stronger strength of fields than the Honda Classic. He was very disrespectful especially to Lee and given he’s won 44-times around the world and the fact he only recognized two of those wins. It does not mean Lee’s other 42 wins were not just as important.  Lee’s also a former World No.1 and he’s played a lot of great golf in his lifetime, so he was unnecessarily dismissive of his achievements."

This week’s defending Arnold Palmer champion, Francesco Molinari also found himself involved in the discussion and given it was Azinger who made the on-air comment a year ago when the Italian, and then reigning OPEN Champion (and gone 5 for 5 at The Ryder Cup), holed a monster 72nd hole victory putt and with Azinger saying ‘this is the biggest win of his career’. Moli responded this week simply saying:  “I don’t think I should get into that.  It’s golf and it’s never easy to win in golf wherever you play.  That’s all I am going to say.” - smart man Moli Devil
Pause Switch to Standard View (((((((AZINGER)))))))
Show More
Report Insideshrewdie March 4, 2020 7:34 PM GMT
Good post CMIYC

No question Zinger is a t..i..t and that's why Seventeenths went for him
However, see a little irony with RM comments.....think he made some comments with same undertone re European tour and how PGA tour is where his future was some years ago...plus Augusta the number one major to win.....not altogether surprising though....coming from him
Report Catch Me ifyoucan March 4, 2020 9:31 PM GMT
https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/golf/rory-mcilroy-european-pga-tour-keith-pelley-tournament-of-champions-preview-hawaii-a8708846.html

“My life is here,” McIlroy said. “I have an American wife. I live in America. Honestly, I enjoy it here more. The way of life is easier. The weather. The convenience. You go to Europe and get paid a nice amount of money to start the year. I’ve done that for a decade. I want to switch it up. I’ve done it for 11 years, so I may as well do something a little different.
“The ultimate goal is here [the US]. The European Tour is a stepping stone. That’s the truth. The European Tour is a stepping stone. That’s the way it is.”

Inside, a wee bit of irony maybe (and no surprise), BUT doesn't get away from the fact that ZINGER - was dismissive and disrespectful !
Report drive for show putt for dough March 4, 2020 10:03 PM GMT
Azinger is right winning on the PGA tour is where it is at it is another level.

The depth of the fields are significantly better than virtually all other events around the world. The benefits of winning a PGA tour event are huge - 2 years membership, sponsor benefits and of course a trip to Augusta. The web.com many weeks is better than the euro tour.

The fact that all players head to the states at the first opportunity says it all. Sungjae Im career will change for the better in ways it couldn't had he won else where.
Report Insideshrewdie March 5, 2020 12:31 PM GMT
No I agree Zinger was dismissive and disrespectful....
What is galling is the gimp jumping in as he tends to do criticising him....without considering what his stance has been/he has said in the recent past
not a brain cell to speak of...so not surprising!
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com