Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Mighty Whites 2008
21 Oct 19 22:31
| Topic/replies: 14,347 | Blogger: Mighty Whites 2008's blog
will probably come to an end this week after an amazing 25 years 11 months in the top 50 of OWGR

A tremendous effort which will probably never be matched!
Pause Switch to Standard View Phil's run in the top 50 in the world
Show More
Report Catch Me ifyoucan October 22, 2019 12:55 AM BST
It's a run PHIL started by moving from 51st to 47th in the OWGR on 28th Nov.1993 (runner-up to Tom Lehman at the Casio World Open) and after winning at Kapalua to start the 1994 season, he's never looked back for well more than a quarter of a century (1,353 weeks - nearly a 26yo streak - Faldo was #1 OWGR while Rory was only a 4½ yo - The OWG Rankings started on 6 April 1986).
MICKELSON hasn't missed a Presidents Cup or Ryder Cup team for the US side since the 1993 Ryder Cup at The Belfry !!! (4 times a Captains pick).
Phil - "I am starting to play much better golf and I'm excited about this upcoming season and I'm excited about making the Ryder Cup team next year and I plan on doing that." - he’ll be a 50yo when the US side looks to win back the Cup at Whistling Straits.

He also has spent over 700 weeks in the T10, and reached a career-high world ranking of No.2 several times (Tiger era). Lefty has won five Majors, 3 Masters (2004, 2006, 2010), a PGA (2005), and The OPEN (2013) and has the ninth-most victories in PGA Tour history (winner of 44 PGA Tour events).

Mickelson's streak nearly came to an end in 2018 as he dipped as far as #49th in late January, but he turned things around just in time and got back as high as No.18 that summer. Winning the 2019 AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am was this years highlight (got to #17th OWGR), but his game has since faded (missed 8 cuts and finished inside the T40 just three times in 18 starts) and he's down from last weeks #47th to 50th in this weeks OWGRankings.

He could now drop outside the T50 given that he's not playing in Japan. For him to stay inside the bubble one of the scenarios is as follows: All the top 12 finishers at this week’s Zozo Championship are from the World’s T50, and Lucas Bjerregaard, Tom Lewis or Lee Westwood don’t win in Portugal. Phil will tee it up in the WGC-HSBC Champions in two weeks and that event has no cut, allowing for him to more easily earn World Ranking points and hold his top-50 spot (if he still has it).

...btw, the second-longest active run in the T50 belongs to Ernie Els at 965 weeks... with Rory currently at 598 weeks (a little over FIFTEEN YEARS behind Phil) ...next best is Kuchar (512), DJ (508), Rose (490), Day (478) & Sergio (428).
Report Catch Me ifyoucan October 22, 2019 1:01 AM BST
E&O © CMiyc Devil
Report drive for show putt for dough October 28, 2019 7:34 PM GMT
Phil clings on for another week in the top 50
Report Catch Me ifyoucan November 3, 2019 12:26 PM GMT
LOOKS LIKELY PHIL THE TRILL’s record time “insider the T50” may be over....

There were 16 players who made the cut in all four majors this year.
There was only one who missed the cut in all four. His name? Shugo Imahira.

The list of those who made all four cuts includes the top two players in the world: Brooks Koepka and Dustin Johnson. Koepka has the longest active streak of consecutive cuts made in the majors — 21 in a row — that dates to the 2013 British Open at Muirfield.
Sixteen was the highest number since 18 players made all four cuts in 2015, and it was up from 11 players last year.
As for Imahira, he received a special foreign invitation to the Masters, an invitation for the PGA Championship from being in the top 100 in the world, made it through the 36-hole sectional qualifier in Japan for the US Open and was exempt for the British Open from the Japan Golf Tour money list.

SHUGO just finished T11 in the WGC in China, ahead of PHIL’s T28 and might move from OWGR #53 to #50 tomorrow to oust Mickelson to #51.
Report Catch Me ifyoucan November 3, 2019 12:38 PM GMT
Another source has him safe....for another few weeks!

CHARLES HOWELL 111 is now the ‘danger-man’ at OWGR #51 WhoopsTongue Out
Report Catch Me ifyoucan November 3, 2019 1:10 PM GMT
E&OE © CMiyc Devil
Report Catch Me ifyoucan November 4, 2019 12:59 PM GMT
Mickelson’s streak of consecutive weeks in the top-50 ends at 1,353. The longest active streak now belongs to McIlroy. If 30yo Rory were to tie Mickelson’s streak, he would need to stay in the T50 every week from now until 2034
Report Catch Me ifyoucan November 5, 2019 1:06 AM GMT
PHIL's AMAZING STREAK CONTINUES !.... 1,354 Consecutive Weeks inside the OWGR T60
Report Catch Me ifyoucan December 2, 2019 3:44 PM GMT
AN EVENT that doesn't sit well with many folk..... "Saudi Arabia is a dangerous country, rife with horrible human rights practices, apparently".

...BUT in 2020 these money grabbers don't seem to mind skipping a 'regular' PGA TOUR stop.

Tony FINAU, along with OWGR #58 Phil MICKELSON who usually plays the 'opposite' Waste Management Phoenix Open event - (both MC in 2019 btw, while Phil is a 3-time winner 1996, '05 & 2013) - will face a different desert next February - along with committed regulars Dustbin, Brooks Koepka, Paddy Reed & Sergio 'Hacker' Garcia..... playing for the Khashoggi Trophy.

OTHERS regulars like Justin ROSE, Bryson DECHAMBEAU, Henrik STENSON & Poulter have yet to succumb to the temptation (still negotiating the fee).
These 'regular' European TOUR members so far lie fallow - PEPPERELL, Haotong LI, Thorbjørn OLESEN & Matty WALLACE.

...so Ethical values and Moral principles out the window boys, eh... doing the right thing, acting honourably or leading with high character... your integrity is on the line. Devil
Report Catch Me ifyoucan December 2, 2019 3:45 PM GMT
*AN EVENT (THE SAUDI INTERNATIONAL) that...
Report Catch Me ifyoucan December 2, 2019 11:46 PM GMT
**PRESS RELEASE** - Mickelson is skipping the Phoenix Open (a legacy tournament for him, where he's made 30 career starts) to play in the Saudi International...

Basically I’m swapping pissed Americans for a guaranteed payday... 
In other words...."they are paying me to just show up and keep my mouth shut..." (Phil wanted to get paid to play in the Ryder Cup I believe).
Nothing to do with the $1m appearance fee then, Phil?... just will be interesting to watch how "doing my bit to grow the game in the Kingdom" works out.
....."absolutely don't blame him at all" OR "whatever smidgen of respect I have for him is obliterated" ??? You decide.

So it's OK to sell billions worth of weapons to Saudi but don’t dare play golf there?.....Phil and Tiger have carried the ball for the last 25+ years... some might say let them do what they want without this grief. Too bad the younger golfers still don't generate enough enthusiasm for the sport.

'Phireside with Phil' chatting to Mohammad bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud will be riveting I’m sure Devil
Report Catch Me ifyoucan December 2, 2019 11:53 PM GMT
btw, the Saudi Golf Federation announced last month that the Saudi tournament is expected to be followed by a Ladies European Tour golf tournament in March 2020 in Saudi Arabia.
Report Catch Me ifyoucan January 6, 2020 4:38 PM GMT
BUBBA Watson now #50 OWGR.......PHIL out to #73.
Report Catch Me ifyoucan January 27, 2020 3:04 PM GMT
Jordan SPIETH has dropped out of the T50 OWGR (#45 to 51st) for the first time since his rookie season in August 2013.
Playing Phoenix this week, but will need to move back inside T50 within the next 3 weeks or he'll miss the WGC Mexico.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com