Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Hank Hill
25 Jan 19 21:43
| Topic/replies: 15,292 | Blogger: Hank Hill's blog
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/golf/2019/01/25/paul-casey-snubs-saudi-arabian-tournament-human-rights-violations/

Obviously he is rich already, so not getting the playing fee is not going to hurt, but fair play for sitting this out - shame that most will still be teeing it up there Sad
Pause Switch to Standard View Well done Team Casey
Show More
Report Total Bosman January 25, 2019 11:48 PM GMT
Good on him.  The entry list is a disgrace considering it's a nothing tournament, shows how easily some of the big names can be bought - they are all mega-rich so why do they have to be prostitutes for a country where some awful stuff is happening?  A few on the list like DJ, Reed or Brooks probably don't give the merest toss and will just play anywhere for cash but I'm surprised at guys like Stenson or Pepp who seem a bit more clued up and have a reputation as good eggs.
Report frames January 26, 2019 6:05 AM GMT
If those figures are true Tiger clearly has too much money ,he took the Dubai millions when he could hardly walk.
Report lewisham ranger January 26, 2019 11:32 AM GMT
good for casey, although it has to be said that other countries like china and turkey, which have regular tour stops, also have terrible human rights records. perhaps they should be boycotted as well?
Report Hank Hill January 26, 2019 7:14 PM GMT
Yeah that's a fair point Lewisham.
Report Total Bosman January 26, 2019 8:31 PM GMT
That's true, but you've got to draw the line somewhere surely.  Saudi Arabia have been all over the news literally getting away with murder recently because the international community will stand up for them because of their oil and their money.  You'd like to think the top golfers wouldn't be bought off so easily.

Even leaving aside the human rights, the standard of field that's been bought for a nothing event with no history or prestige leaves a bad taste in the mouth, especially when a lot of Euro tour events are struggling.  Compare that field to the field for the "flagship event" at Wentworth when it rolls around.
Report lewisham ranger January 26, 2019 9:26 PM GMT
You'd like to think the top golfers wouldn't be bought off so easily.

I don't think these golfers care less. most of them, all they care about is money. they live in their own little bubbles.

Saudi's pretty awful but china carry out more public executions than every other country put together, I believe. And no one raises an eyebrow when they go out to play there.
Report Total Bosman January 27, 2019 6:06 PM GMT
Leaving the players aside, after what they did to a fellow journalist (and appear to have completely got away with), would send a powerful message if the media simply refused to cover the event.  No doubt the gravy train Sky boys will fawn over the wonderful hosts as always but would show a bit of backbone if instead they just switched off the cameras and starved them of all the publicity they've paid for.
Report Insideshrewdie January 29, 2019 9:06 AM GMT
Also interesting, Mcilroy was not offered the $2m appearance fee and private jet that DJ and Koepka are receiving....so the I love USA and PGAET tour just a stepping stone chat was possibly a cover for not being offered incentives to go.....
Report mighty February 10, 2019 6:52 AM GMT
This could be pay back day for making a stance,
good on you son,
and yes he is my only red & AT&T.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com