Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
frames
10 Nov 18 16:33
| Topic/replies: 12,106 | Blogger: frames's blog
it comes to cheating/trying to cheat refs ,how would we rate golfers ?
I'll give them a 6 ,years ago it would be a 1 as I considered golfers to be squeaky clean with the odd exception.Now it's a 6 and going only one way ,when the 2nd most recognisable player is the worst culprit I suppose it's no surprise others are trying it on.I shudder to think what goes on when the camera's are not about.
The refs/rules are the major part of the problem ,to weak.

Any sports worse than football ?
Pause Switch to Standard View If we rate footballers as a 10 when
Show More
Report Total Bosman November 10, 2018 5:34 PM GMT
Tough to define cheating in golf because a lot of the time it all goes through a rules official so a lot of what we may be outraged about at home has gone through the proper process, no matter how dodgy a drop etc might be.  Players can always ask the question but beyond that they shouldn't be able to argue the case, just present the facts of the situation.  Clear cut examples of cheating (that we know about) still fairly far between, although the girl at LPGA q-school was pretty bad.

Completely agree about the refs and the rules, amazing the silly stuff that can be penalised when players can get away with any drop they want and not one ref seems to know how to work a stopwatch (or how to grow a set of balls).  Only going to get worse under the rule changes, looks like drops will be getting even more advantageous.
Report trebor November 10, 2018 6:50 PM GMT
The one today was exactly the same as figjam pulled on the 9th hole of the Scottish open about 10 years ago.

Clear cut examples of cheating (that we know about) still fairly far between  only because they dont get caught often enough imo, I have said this before but the PGA knew about Robertson for 5 years (dropping ball in ruff) before they finally caught him for moving his ball 20ft closer on the green, almost certainly had been doing that for a while.

A conversation that took place on the tour nearly 40 years ago. Refs never got called out then.

Player A: I am gonna take a drop from rabbit scrape  ( ball was onder a fir tree)

Player B: (thinks he is trying it on) Not sure about that, maybe ask player C for his opinion.

Player C: yeh thats ok take the drop.

Player C: ( to player B) probably bit generous but he owes us now if we need a drop!
Report frames November 10, 2018 6:53 PM GMT
Yes fair enough.Had a chuckle when Radar said that the Frittelli drop today was one of the worst he had seen .He can't have followed Phil much ,I saw him get two worse than that in the same round.

Watched England v NZ before ,proper players playing to the refs whistle ,footballers spend 90 minutes pretending to be hurt ,rugby players spend 80 minutes pretending not to be hurt.Love that quote.
Report Total Bosman November 10, 2018 8:50 PM GMT
I'd like to see the rules about drops (or asking for drops) tightened up for speed and to stop players talking their way to a drop.  Start with a presumption that you play the ball as it lies.  Then have a set of circumstances you can get a drop.  If a ref can see it is clearly and obviously one of those situations you get the drop.  If not, no further discussion (under penalty of a stroke), no second opinion.  Get on with it.
Report EUGENE KRABS November 10, 2018 10:32 PM GMT
It has made me laugh for years that they call players "ignorant" for not shouting fore following a bad block or pull ! Do me a favour they know exactly what they are doing !
Report lewisham ranger November 10, 2018 11:32 PM GMT
people take advantage of drops. it's ridiculous, you're playing a golf course, you play it where it lies. it's part of the course. I saw one golfer try to take a drop the other day because the path slightly inconvenienced his stance, or something like that, he was denied his drop.

but for me things like that can only give you a tiny edge. what concerns me much more is the idea that people in the game are doping, and i'm sure they are.

some of these bombers are hitting it huge distances off the tee, or previously short golfers are adding twenty, thirty yards to their distance, a big edge. these are not players who have just taken up the game, they have been trying professionally for twenty odd years and suddenly they are thirty yards longer? it makes no sense to me, yet nobody says anything.

I'd be amazed if there isn't doping in the pga tour and some very big name players. the problem is that the money in golf is such that the authorities don't want to rock the boat, it's all about the bottom line and getting the crowds in, who cares if such and such a player is doped to the eyeballs?

it's possible that all this is nonsense and everyone in the game is clean, I hope so but it's hard to believe.
Report sickoflayinwinners November 11, 2018 12:32 PM GMT
with the frittelli drop the rf should say "you are only hampered if you play away from the green(obviously not going to do so"so if you want to take that free drop thats the way you have to play after the drop"stop these cheating  nnncccuuuts!!
with the frittelli drop the rf should say "you are only hampered if you play away from the green(obviously not going to do so"so if you want to take that free drop thats the way you have to play after the drop"stop these cheating  nnncccuuuts!!
Report donny osmond November 11, 2018 11:03 PM GMT
they could easily add that to the rules if they so wished.
Report trebor November 12, 2018 11:16 AM GMT
They keep on about speeding up play, part of the reason for some of these new rules coming out, the drop from closer to the ground is going to encourage players even more to try for a drop as it becomes even more beneficial than before. I would prefer to go for no free drops for any reason if your ball is not on fairway length cut, will be some tough luck sometimes but certainly would speed up play. Line of sight is so misused but if it is an obvious danger to spectators is has to be given I suppose, maybe make under, on or over stands OB.

As far as I know they do drug test on both tours, they used too see no reason to stop.

Even club golfers are gaining the distances (or percentage) quoted above by changing to better clubs, changing ball and getting tested on swing monitors for the best match I remember going to Ping to use their swing monitor, after hitting a few shots with my own clubs they where able to tell me what was likely to happen with each other club they gave me to try, and they where correct each time, that was about 15 years ago am sure they have made many huge advances since then.

Very little things can make a big difference, I see amateurs and Kenny Perry years back placing the club to close and with too much pressure rite behind the ball, anyone else noticed one of our Ryder Cup hero's getting a bit too close to the line with this?
Report trebor November 12, 2018 11:43 AM GMT
Senior golfers are the worst cheats, they do it so often that improving their lie becomes automatic to them, the number of times I've searched for a ball in the ruff, finally find it and by the time I have walked back to the fairway and looked back can see the ball they are about to hit!

I am terrible I never call the cheat out ( as most don't) but one day somebody went too far, was a senior open at an away club to me, in three balls one guy would just not stop talking whilst others played their shots, and he was not exactly whispering, he had really wound the two of us up, On about the 14th a drop hole (Shirehampton Park) he hit his drive so obviously OB, he said he would not play a provisional as he thought it stayed in bounds, we get down there and no ball anywhere and ruff is so short it has to be OB. he says carry on, "I still got a few mins to look", we walk away and after about 20 yards I look back to see him with a ball in his hand, nudge my partner to look back and we both see him drop it, "what are you doing"  I asked "I found it was just checking it was mine" he got both barrels from both of us and we refused to play any more holes with him, just a shame we never caught him on the first.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com